The Girls' Room

Comments

As for the "haters" on any forums; I dislike them intently and wish they would just grow up and stop bashing. Brosnan comes to mind, too, as one who is bashed repeatedly. It is immature and they sometimes obviously trash on threads not even relevant to that thread's topic. I don't like rudeness or pettiness. Some can be so bad it feels like poison oozing out.

Well said everyone...

I particularly agree with what @4EverBonded says here. Sometimes it's not what you say but how you say it. If someone wants to say that they disagree with something that a producer or actor does then I have no problem with that - especially if they back up their arguments with reasons.

But when someone has to use over-the-top, vicious, and insulting language then they invite ridicule on themselves. Freedom of opinion is not freedom from criticism. I remember talking to a coworker about a genre film once and he got so worked up about how terrible it was (it was critically well-received, he was angry because it wasn't how he would have done it) that he ended up screaming (not yelling, *screaming*), swearing, throwing his arms all around (hurting his hand when he flung it against the wall), spitting, and getting tears in his eyes. I can easily imagine some of the posters here doing the same things as they type some of their comments here. What's really sad is that they don't realize how this makes them look, especially when they harp on one or two things over and over again. Part of me wants to call them out on their bull; part of me thinks that they are a long way away from changing and that I should leave them alone for now.

What do you ladies think? Again, it's interesting to get the feminine perspective...

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I am always calm when I write my posts.... I never pound on the table, or on my keyboard, I don't yell at my computer screen.........
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I do like to speak up now and then, but not a lot - not my nature. However, I think that even if I did like to be more "vocal" it would not help if I responded to each "basher." Because I feel that someone who would write that way would not change, no matter what I say. And mostly it seems they just want to taunt and have an excuse to vent or rant or provoke others. I do not want to get sucked down into their scummy whirlpool. Yet that kind of trashing should get stomped on sometimes. We have to speak up about it every so often because it is not okay. I don't want to say so little that it seems I condone that kind of talk. I don't.
    I am always calm when I write my posts.... I never pound on the table, or on my keyboard, I don't yell at my computer screen.........

I was not thinking of you when I wrote my comments above, just to be clear on that.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2012 Posts: 15,690
    If 'bad/insultive/provocative' criticism would be to criticize Craig's physical traits, in that case I do not make such comments.

Same as calling his films as 'crap'. I don't either. IMO CR is a very good film, one of the best made film in the franchise.... it's just when I look at CR 'as a Bond film' that I don't like it, and it ranks at the bottom.

I also do not call Craig a bad/horrible actor or a talentless hack. For me Craig is a great actor, just not a good Bond (yet).
    edited May 2012 Posts: 12,459
    Yeah, fair comments. I just really like him as Bond. Which surprised me when CR came out, to be honest. And I loved CR. So we have two different levels of appreciation for him; that's fine.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Germanlady wrote:
    I just tried on my tuxedo for my school's prom, and let me assure you, I have never felt more like James Bond. I want to get a holster and replica PPK to carry with me, but I am sure that wouldn't end well. :)

Pic? Just proves, that clothes DO have an impact on how we feel. When is it. This Sat? Have fun.
    I just tried on my tuxedo for my school's prom, and let me assure you, I have never felt more like James Bond. I want to get a holster and replica PPK to carry with me, but I am sure that wouldn't end well. :)

Honestly, I keep forgetting how bloody young you are. Anyway, have fun! :)
    Thanks to you two. I will try, as it is a bit of a last hoorah for me and old friends.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    What happened to this thread? :((

Just in case I lost something along the way why did you bring the women's day commercial into the conversation @DaltonCraig007? Where did this theme fall from?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    ^
    I saw Dan's ad scrolling down and thought it best for myself not to look at the posts. It must have been a horrific onslaught...
    ^
    I saw Dan's ad scrolling down and thought it best for myself not to look at the posts. It must have been a horrific onslaught...

actually the video was the only thing in my post.... I did not attack Craig at all, I just said the ad was 'contrary to the original character'.
    So @DaltonCraig007, I'm waiting for your answer because I still don't understand where did this come from.
    ^

actually the video was the only thing in my post.... I did not attack Craig at all, I just said the ad was 'contrary to the original character'.
    I didn't read anything so I didn't know what you posted. I just get out of discussions whenever I see that ad. It brings up bad disputes amongst us. It has risen, and will RISE AGAIN!...sorry... ;)
    Sandy wrote:
    So @DaltonCraig007, I'm waiting for your answer because I still don't understand where did this come from.

actually the ad was being talked about before I posted, and I saw someone wrote that he/she never saw the ad, so I posted it.
    I saw you posted the video because of that. I meant why did you talk about the add in the first place?
    Germanlady wrote:
    From what I read about that vid, it was received overall very positiv.

that was posted before I join the conversation.
    edited May 2012 Posts: 4,012
    Germanlady wrote:
    From what I read about that vid, it was received overall very positiv.

that was posted before I join the conversation.

It's just that I can't find anything!

EDIT: ok, I found it and I think I know what happened. When I read GL's comment I understood it in a different way. People here need to calm down, have a cup of tea!
    Speaks for itsself. We were talking about a certain way to communicate, which is acceptable and which is not. This is the latter and if this is your calm self, woohoo...
    Opinions are a poor excuse for bad behaviour and I am not even talking about what you already called me in certain posts.
    I find the claim that if we criticize the Women's day ad, we are insecure about ourselves to be utterly ridiculous and borderline absurd. So because I don't agree with that ad, which factually is depicting a Bond that is contrary to the original character, I am insecure about myself ? What utter crap. Going by this argument, anyone who likes the action scenes in the films are anti-pacifist and are bound to be violent in real life !

This argument is completly ridiculous.Just because you find LTK too violent doesn't mean you are a weak, pacifist person, just because you love 'John Rambo' doesn't mean you are going to frequently beat up people in real life.

Again the Craig loverboys still can't accept that people may criticize his Bond and films, and they find new rules and arguments on why Craig is too perfect to be criticized !! The Craig fans are truely getting more and more ridicule. Why can't you people accept that Craig can be criticized ? Where is it written that people can throw tons of vitriol at Brosnan, much to the agreement of many people here, but once someone criticizes Craig, that person must be decapitated ? Where is it written that the Women's Day ad is perfect and cannot be criticized ?

I wish some members here would start their own Craig fanclub, where only positive messages can be posted, while this website can return to being a place of discussions on all things James Bond, where every opinion are allowed.

It's almost as if some people think that having a negative opinion on Craig is like being a being a neo-nazi supporter or something..... or that being negative on Craig means you are insane, sick and mentally unstable. Sorry but if someone doesn't like Craig, it's perfectly normal and acceptable. There is no reason why any actor or film can only be loved... unless you live in North Korea that is. I'm sure some members here would love to be the president of a dictatorship, where they can whip anyone who doesn't follow the correct line of thinking.

I think, some folks came here to have a decent conversation and we should return to that now. Men are very welcome and I wish all those, who are just starting into their working life the best of luck...may the odds be on your side.
    Erase and rewind. Goodcall GL. Let's take this thread back to how it was supposed to be ;)
    edited May 2012 Posts: 15,690
    most of what you put in bold isn't even directed at you..... if you read carefully, you'd see most of what I say is how some people here are treated as.
    Okay, I read it all again now. I think that you just got upset, DaltonCraig007 from GL's comments about Babs, the ad (which I just saw for the first time thru this thread) and some things and let loose with some too strongly worded, really rather ugly comments - even if the comments were not directed right at GL, but rather at Craig fans.

So let's move forward, eh? We do want to communicate fully - all opinions respected, but it is (for me at least) important for us to be basically respectful enough with the words we use even as we strongly disagree sometimes.

Next topic, anyone? And cheers - here's to a good weekend, for all!

BTW - not that we cannot have a serious conversation - we should, but only if the tone remains right.

Anybody has any Facbook shares? >:)
    No FB shares, LOL. :D (And I hardly ever write LOL but it is appropriate here).
    Just deactivated my account actually. I cannot trust their privacy.
    Bono got 1.something billion out of his.
    Germanlady wrote:

Seriously?! Awesome. Good on him! I've never had funds to invest in anything other than an occcasional Guinness on the weekend.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Germanlady wrote:

Seriously?! Awesome. Good on him! I've never had funds to invest in anything other than an occcasional Guinness on the weekend.
    But that's an investment in life's enjoyments, and thus almost priceless, isn't it?

I think so, too. Money is great, but if your are not able to be happy in yourself - no amount of money will give you that happiness.
    Yes, actually I do appreciate my blessings. The little things in life make up the sum of our days, don't they? Every day I notice and am thankful for the view I have here ... living on the side of a mountain looking out at the Seto Inland Sea, with little islands rising up and the sun sparkling on the water. That plus a Guinness and a Bond novel is hard to beat. Come back inside and enjoy a Bond movie. All around, nothing to complain about. Kampai, everyone!
    @-) For 2 days I am giving the App a make over, mainly painting the walls so far. Yesterday was easy - just straight walls in the living room, but today was kitchen time and that's another story. Up the ladder, down the ladder - Arrgghh. Even did the ceiling. Problem is to not fall down. Watch your step!!

But I decided to make this my major spring cleaning at the same time, so its rather exhausting.
    Need to decide on the second color for the living room. Daughter wants a change from orange. :))

Good luck with the renewal @Germanlady (by the way congrats to your daughter)! I need to find courage to organize my app (tiny, owned by the uni). I simply have no space where to put so much stuff. I guess I'll have to start looking for a new one sooner than later.

I'm starting to get tired of the discussions, which is not good. I know my feeling is shared by others. Weather is steaming hot in here, sucks away my energy I'm afraid :)