NTTD & Corona

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    Missing the point, again - it is obviously not safe enough if they're still closed in those cities. Personal experiences in the UK, Poland, Germany, wherever....don't change that.

That's not the point.

That is the point. And stating otherwise is just going around in circles and you are still only pulling from personal experience.

I know that people feel different about it.
    But the concept of a cinema screening with distanced seating is the same all around the world.
    And by the way: there are even studies about this topic: https://newsabc.net/new-corona-study-air-in-the-office-is-much-more-polluted-than-that-in-the-cinema/

I know that, but theatres being open in a city badly hit with Covid-19 is not the same as one being open in one even only moderately hit when it comes to people's attitudes. It really doesn't matter what studies there are or what a governer thinks.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Agreed @jake24 . I also think that at some point it may come down to cutting their losses. Not a question of, “how much profit can we make off of this film,” but, “how small can we make our loss.” And if that ends up being the case, what does that mean for future Bond films? Do they focus on smaller budget movies that would turn a profit on a streaming service? It’s both interesting and concerning.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited October 2020 Posts: 8,020
    RedNine wrote: »
    Missing the point, again - it is obviously not safe enough if they're still closed in those cities. Personal experiences in the UK, Poland, Germany, wherever....don't change that.

If 90% of the world deems something safe and 10% not then automatically 10% are right ?

No, it just means things are worse there than they are everywhere else. That's what I was getting at. Saying things like "if theatres were open in LA and NY, Tenet would have fared a lot better" is redundant. They weren't and it didn't, and it's because of the virus.

@CraigMooreOHMSS gets it.

The virus has hit the US a lot harder than any other country, and California is one of the three worst states to suffer from it.

I live in the US. In fact, the county I live in is Orange County, which to my knowledge is the only one allowed in the entire state of California to allow theaters to reopen since our case numbers fared better than others like LA county. You think being one of the only areas to go see a movie would mean that people would be flooding the theaters. That's not the case. Theaters have been a ghost town where I live.

So this sentiment that if only all the theaters would reopen in the US that the box office turnout would automatically be better with a surge of eager moviegoers rings kind of false. Nobody is willing to go to the movies right now. I'm glad your countries have fared better and that people are feeling safe to go. But we're suffering pretty bad over here. We kept reopening and closing, because cases kept surging over and over. So stop pretending that you know any better thousands of miles away, because you don't.
  • RedNineRedNine Poland
    writer5150 wrote: »
    So, RedNine, 90% of the planet feels it's safe. How did that work out for Tenet? I would think it's closer to theaters were open in most areas of the world but not everyone came back to theaters; perhaps THEY personally did feel safe? And in the U.S., well, it's been so mishanded. President thought it was pretty safe and then contracted COVID himself, also infecting many in his administration.

Safe to reopen of course. Tenet is just one movie that got mixed resuls- failed in the US (as pointed out largely because of the closed cinemas) in other countries got decent numbers, even better than some other Nolan movies. The reality is that Tenet is just one movie- one movie that also wasn't really destined to be a massive boxoffice hit so it's not a great movie to draw massive conclusions from. New IP without massive names in starring roles is always hard to predict. Either way, boxoffice number of one movie is not a great indicator of people's feelings towards cinemas right now, no matter how much some people here want it to be. If we really want to make statements about people's attitude towards going to cinema during COVID then we need a well done survey where it will be indicated- how many people didn't go to see Tenet because they were afraid ? how many people didn't go because they weren't intrested ? how many people didn't go because they somehow didn't know there is a big new movie in the theatres ? Show me survey like that and then we can talk what's on people's minds
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited October 2020 Posts: 1,261
    Here's a good comment on the Guardian article (which is a reply to another comment):

"It's not its job (to save the cinema). But the whole franchise was born of the cinema, and exists because of the cinema. One might say that it's in Eon's interest to support the existence of cinema, for the survival of the franchise - if not for a sense of loyalty to a medium that made it unimaginably wealthy."

Bradshaw's article to me just seems a personal and polemic rant against EON and Bond, he does not give any reliable facts, that EON pushed NTTD again, because they feared, it won't make enough money, or the money, they expected, using Covid as an excuse. I wouln't say, this might not be the reason, but some reliable sources would be nice.

And the opening of DUNE has been pushed back to October 1st, 2021 (also maybe a more realistic date for NTTD).
    Letter from Cineworld to its customers:

It’s with great sadness that we are getting in touch to let you know that all Cineworld cinemas across the UK and Ireland will be temporarily closed from Friday (October 9) until further notice.

This is not a decision we made lightly. We did everything in our power to support safe and sustainable re-openings of our cinemas and we are so very grateful for our employees who implemented the new protocols which resulted in lots of positive feedback from customers who visited our cinemas and felt safe. We were very proud of the fact that cinemas were open for 2 months and there was not one COVID case resulting from visiting the cinema. We cannot underscore enough how difficult this decision was.

As we have done to date, we will do everything we can to save livelihoods and the company – this is an extremely delicate and tricky balance. We continue to work with the Cinema Association, to ensure we are lobbying government to support our employees and the industry which has so much cultural significance.

We will continue to monitor the situation closely and will communicate our plans to resume operations once film studios are able to bring their pipeline of major movie releases back to the big screen. We can assure you that once a line-up of movie releases is confirmed, we will be ready to re-open our cinemas, as we did in July, with the same safety levels you have already seen while at the same time keeping the great experience that you are used to getting from us.

A big thank you goes to you, our movie-loving customers; your health and wellbeing has always been our priority during this difficult time and we look forward to welcoming you back as soon as possible to enjoy a full slate of films.

We sincerely wish good health for you and your families during these uncertain times.

The Cineworld Team
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 1,314
    I feel for any industry struggling but the fact is not all business and industries will survive. That’s the hard truth.

Personally no I wouldn’t want to watch a film out of loyalty during a pandemic. Im a customer. Not a patron.

Releasing bond in November makes no economic sense at all. Cinemas have had 60 good years of custom out of Bond. Blaming eon for the situation today seems a little unfair.

Hospital admissions today are up by a quarter in one day in the uk. Those types of headlines and figures rightly alarm people.
    It's unfortunate that a narrative is being pushed that puts the blame at any one film's feet.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 348
    Updated 2021 Release Schedule
    (as of 06/10/20):

JANUARY 15 (USA): Peter Rabbit 2: The Runaway
    FEBRUARY 12: The King's Man
    FEBRUARY 29: Antlers
    MARCH 5: Ghostbusters: Afterlife
    MARCH 12: Raya and the Last Dragon
    MARCH 19: Morbius
    APRIL 2: No Time to Die
    APRIL 23: A Quiet Place Part II
    MAY 7: Black Widow
    MAY 21: Godzilla vs. Kong
    MAY 21: Spiral
    MAY 28: Cruella
    MAY 28: Fast & Furious 9
    JUNE 4: The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It
    JUNE 18: Luca
    JUNE 25: Venom: Let There Be Carnage
    JULY 2: Top Gun: Maverick
    JULY 2: Minions: The Rise of Gru
    JULY 9: Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
    JULY 9: The Forever Purge
    JULY 30: Jungle Cruise
    AUGUST 6: The Suicide Squad
    OCTOBER 1: Dune
    OCTOBER 15: Halloween Kills
    ??? Candyman
    NOVEMBER 5: Eternals
    NOVEMBER 19: Mission: Impossible 7
    DECEMBER 10: West Side Story
    DECEMBER 17: Spider-Man Untitled Sequel
    DECEMBER 22: The Matrix 4
    It’s hard to argue against in this particular case. I’d blame more the studio for actually believing that a movie like TENET would be what brings people flocking to cinema.

Maybe ( a BIG maybe) BILL & TED FACE THE MUSIC being a lower budged film and an exclusive cinematic release would have fared better than TENET, and be more appealing towards drawing families? Probably not, but I have to imagine much better than Nolan’s soulless puzzle box of a film.
  • I really enjoyed Tenet myself, but I agree that a more crowd-pleasing film such as Bill & Ted, Wonder Woman, Black Widow or perhaps NTTD would probably have had a bigger impact and be more encouraging for audiences. For me, it was just great to be back in the cinema again (not Cineworld in this case) and enjoying a film like that on the big screen.
    Wish I felt that way. TENET being the first film after all these months and it was way more frustrating than entertaining. What a piss poor film to put out during a pandemic.
  • Fair enough, I can understand the common criticisms that I've read about it.
    I never got to see it, unfortunately. My local cinema kept it for less than a week.
  • Wow, that's bad luck. Sorry to hear that.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Eventually, as they keep making movies currently, they will have to release things on VOD just because they’re won’t be room on the release schedule.

Also, if NTTD pushes back again they’ll be getting closer and closer to MI7, and I’m sure they don’t want that...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It's unfortunate that a narrative is being pushed that puts the blame at any one film's feet.

Not unfortunate, just ridiculous. People not going to the cinema is what will eventually kill the cinema.
  • RedNineRedNine Poland

Not unfortunate, just ridiculous. People not going to the cinema is what will eventually kill the cinema.

That's like saying "Saying Covid causes death is ridiculous, people stopping breathing is eventually what kills them". Cinemas are being killed because of the lack of new, intresting content, not because people don't want to go
  • familymottofamilymotto Spain
    I really can't see blockbuster cinema dying. The MCU is still a powerhouse and people will turn up for a theme park experience as that is what it has turned into. I'd rather watch smaller films at home now too tbh, sorry Scorsese! This could kill off independent cinemas... It didn't look great before the pandemic so who knows...

Time to turn the basement into a home theatre ready for the onslaught of VODs
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

That's like saying "Saying Covid causes death is ridiculous, people stopping breathing is eventually what kills them". Cinemas are being killed because of the lack of new, intresting content, not because people don't want to go

So Tenet does kill the cinema?
  • RedNineRedNine Poland

No ? Tenet was an attempt to save it. Theatres can't be closed forever, even if Tenet would delay like any other movie, theatres would still face the same fate
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland

No ? Tenet was an attempt to save it. Theatres can't be closed forever, even if Tenet would delay like any other movie, theatres would still face the same fate
    I guess you could it was a Tenet-ive attempt to save them.

I'll see myself out.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 848

Yes. At one moment, somebody has to be the first to do the first step. Warner had the balls to be this someone, we can't blame it (EON/MGM/Uni haven't [the balls]).

• edited October 2020 Posts: 3,564

Close but not quite. Try this: Cinemas are being killed because people don't want to go there. One reason PDWTGT is the lack of new, interesting content. Another reason is because COVID-19 has lots of people feeling less than safe about going out ANYWHERE...cinemas included.

If that were true then studios would have kept releasing films.
    Tenet was always going to be a more adult leaning movie and as such was never going to attract a huge audience, a more family friendly movie may have done better. To expect Tenet to save cinema was wishful thinking. Is the problem now covid or more so the fear of covid.
    In France, Tenet has now the second place of the box office, with 2 159 301 seats purchased. Which puts it just behind 1917, with 2 203 337 viewers. Not bad, considering the times.
    Not surprising given its France. People will die for art there.