NTTD & Corona

Comments

• JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I will say, most people do not have an Apple TV, so I’m guessing most people who watch NTTD if it goes to Apple will be seeing it on their phone, computer or iPad. Not sure how you all feel about this
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited October 2020 Posts: 7,526
    I will say, most people do not have an Apple TV, so I’m guessing most people who watch NTTD if it goes to Apple will be seeing it on their phone, computer or iPad. Not sure how you all feel about this

You don’t need an Apple TV to stream those devices to a tv; it just makes it slightly simpler.
    Also it doesn’t affect me whatsoever how another person enjoys a film.
    I understand the “future of the franchise” is at stake here or whatever, but the exhibition landscape is changing regardless of when coronavirus lets up, and productions are going to have to adapt either way.
  • RedNineRedNine Poland
    I am pretty sure most of Smart TV systems has an Apple app on there
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I'm not sure when TVs started to allow screen mirroring from a smart phone, but a lot of people have older TVs that do not.
    "Deadline hears none of the streamers was willing to put up more than half that amount [600m], and franchise controller Eon and principal producer Barbara Broccoli nixed the deal and might have been surprised negotiations were taking place."
  • RedNineRedNine Poland
    antovolk wrote: »
    "Deadline hears none of the streamers was willing to put up more than half that amount [600m], and franchise controller Eon and principal producer Barbara Broccoli nixed the deal and might have been surprised negotiations were taking place."

As I saw in your comments on twitter, this might a Barbara sending a message that would also line up with what MI6 people were saying on James Bond and Friends quite a few times that this movie will never go to streaming. Seeing them now also take this story seriously leads me to believe that there is more to this story then what EON wants it to be. I kind of expected it but still am quite disappointing- I geniuenly believe that it would be the best for the franchise to move on from this film and start planning for the future instead of endlessly waiting for an opportunity that may not come for years
    I know I posted this in the other thread already but...
    Deadline expands their article a bit
    Bloomberg wrote about a rumor that has been making the rounds the last week and a half, that MGM offered the film to streamers Netflix, Apple and Amazon for a proposed one year license of $600 million. Exploratory dialogue between MGM and streamers did happen late September, when MGM decided to move the Bond film out of its Thanksgiving slot. The studio and Eon also considered doing a PVOD deal, like the one Disney did with Mulan, charging viewers directly. But Deadline hears none of the streamers was willing to put up more than half the amount asked for the one year license. More importantly, Deadline hears that James Bond franchise principal producer Barbara Broccoli flatly nixed the deal but the whole thing was an exploration, understandable with everyone weary of waiting on a likely billion dollar revenue event expected to happen a long time ago.
  • Updated 2021 Mainstream Film Release Schedule (as of 24/10/20):

JANUARY 15 (USA): Peter Rabbit 2: The Runaway
    JANUARY 15: Mortal Kombat
    FEBRUARY 12: The King’s Man
    FEBRUARY 29: Antlers
    MARCH 12: Raya and the Last Dragon
    MARCH 19: Morbius
    APRIL 2: No Time to Die
    APRIL 23: A Quiet Place Part II
    MAY 7: Black Widow
    MAY 21: Godzilla vs. Kong
    MAY 28: Cruella
    MAY 28: Fast & Furious 9
    JUNE 4: The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It
    JUNE 11: Ghostbusters: Afterlife
    JUNE 18: Luca
    JUNE 25: Venom: Let There Be Carnage
    JULY 2: Top Gun: Maverick
    JULY 2: Minions: The Rise of Gru
    JULY 9: Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
    JULY 9: The Forever Purge
    JULY 30: Jungle Cruise
    AUGUST 6: The Suicide Squad
    OCTOBER 1: Dune
    OCTOBER 15: Halloween Kills
    ??? Candyman
    NOVEMBER 5: Eternals
    NOVEMBER 19: Mission: Impossible 7
    NOVEMBER 24: Encanto
    DECEMBER 10: West Side Story
    DECEMBER 17: Spider-Man Untitled Sequel
    DECEMBER 22: The Matrix 4
    Updated 2021 Mainstream Film Release Schedule (as of 24/10/20):

??? Candyman

What a line up of films that is!
    Expect that line up of film release dates to change drastically in the new year.Some will undoubtedly be pushed to 2022.
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    Expect that line up of film release dates to change drastically in the new year.Some will undoubtedly be pushed to 2022.

And almost all of them wrapped filming before NTTD. People are waiting for most of those movies already longer than for Bond.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    Babs needs to wake up. Revenue projections were made for the conventional release format. That is GONE. EON needs to take the best deal now and going forward, base budget projections and resulting revenue based on the new paradigm. Theatres are finished.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 3,164
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/behind-mgms-apple-overture-how-much-is-a-bond-movie-worth?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=THR Breaking News&utm_term=hollywoodreporter_breakingnews
    The tech giant kicked the tires on 'No Time to Die' and mulled an offer in the $350 million to $400 million range, which was a nonstarter for the studio.

But what was driving this fishing expedition was MGM’s current financial state. Sources say the Beverly Hills-based company is accruing around $1 million in interest a month on the money it borrowed to make No Time to Die, which it won't be able to recoup until the movie opens in theaters.

interesting and important timing thing - the Apple/streaming offload was explored *before* the April 2021 delay. If we're getting these postmortems on the idea....we're gonna have to wait however long it takes. maybe that's the discrepancy between the trades' story on this (global deal) and what MI6-HQ is insisting is going on (just North America being on the table). The former was explored before the latest delay, and the latter is being explored as we speak?
  • RedNineRedNine Poland
    Would make sense considering that apparently the whole push for November release was MGM trying to force the issue against Danjaq and Universal, with that failing they could decided to just get rid of the rights they have to the movie itself and make some profit off of that
    =bg= wrote: »
    Babs needs to wake up. Revenue projections were made for the conventional release format. That is GONE. EON needs to take the best deal now and going forward, base budget projections and resulting revenue based on the new paradigm. Theatres are finished.

Agree with most of this.Dont think theatres are finished though.They will still be around in some capacity.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Updated 2021 Mainstream Film Release Schedule (as of 24/10/20):

??? Candyman

When is Red Dead Redemption 3 being released ???? :)>-
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    German government considers a new shutdown from next Wednesday onwards with theatres, movie theatres and museums to be closed up at least to the end of November. Christmas markets throughout Germany have already been cancelled, as social distancing and hygienic concepts will not work with people flocking to the Christmas markets by thousands. Also social contacts and social activities might get restricted massively with infections numbers going up around 10 000 new infected people per day. And compared to other European countries, the situation in Germany looks better. Let's see, where this is going. People already start bunkering huge numbers of toilet papers. What all of this means for the movies planned to be released in the first four months of 2021. So we have to hope, that we will get a vaccine soon, i.e. first six months of 2021.
    German government considers a new shutdown from next Wednesday onwards with theatres, movie theatres and museums to be closed up at least to the end of November. Christmas markets throughout Germany have already been cancelled, as social distancing and hygienic concepts will not work with people flocking to the Christmas markets by thousands. Also social contacts and social activities might get restricted massively with infections numbers going up around 10 000 new infected people per day. And compared to other European countries, the situation in Germany looks better. Let's see, where this is going. People already start bunkering huge numbers of toilet papers. What all of this means for the movies planned to be released in the first four months of 2021. So we have to hope, that we will get a vaccine soon, i.e. first six months of 2021.

It's going to be from next Monday (2nd).
    But it doesn't make any sense to close theatres, but keep factories, working spaces, schools etc. open - those are the places where most infections came from over the last couple of weeks, added to those infections that came from illegal parties, senior homes etc.
    Jan1985 wrote: »

But it doesn't make any sense to close theatres, but keep factories, working spaces, schools etc. open - those are the places where most infections came from over the last couple of weeks, added to those infections that came from illegal parties, senior homes etc.

Parties, weddings, funerals are superspreader events. Schools, maybe not:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/22/health/coronavirus-schools-children.html
    echo wrote: »

Parties, weddings, funerals are superspreader events. Schools, maybe not:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/22/health/coronavirus-schools-children.html

Yes. That's correct.

But even with very little cases in schools, they have more cases than concert halls, opera houses, theatres and cinemas combined.
    Here in Hamburg the police detects illegal parties every weekend, mostly in some shady cellar night clubs or hidden rooms behind iron doors. It's like 90 years ago during the prohibition in the US. People hide to do a lot of illegal things. And the more things get forbidden, the more illegal stuff happens.
    Schools are really more important than opera houses though
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Matt007 wrote: »

"but... the arts!!!"

"but... the arts!!!"

In fairness I am a designer, and value the arts above many things, but during a pandemic there are priorities 👍🏻

Does the virus make a difference between important and not important?

And yes. Of course schools are important.
    But as there are no known infections at theatre, there is no use to shut them down.

"but... the arts!!!"

And to this:
    for me the arts are my religion.
    I don't care about churches and that sort of thing.
    But some people seem to decide, that a church service is more important than a theatre performance.
    Tell me: where is the difference for the virus?
    Some kind of stage in front and people sitting there in rows.
    And believe me: there is more talking and maybe even singing (by the audience) during a church service, than during a theatre or cinema visit.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited October 2020 Posts: 7,526

But as there are no known infections at theatre, there is no use to shut them down.

"but... the arts!!!"

And to this:
    But some people seem to decide, that a church service is more important than a theatre performance.
    And believe me: there is more talking and maybe even singing (by the audience) during a church service, than during a theatre or cinema visit.

I agree with everything except the bold. Just because it hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean the science doesn't show it's very likely to happen under these conditions. Shutting them down preemptively is smart.

People need to be proactive rather than reactive. Should we wait until someone dies after catching it at a theatre?

"but... the arts!!!"

And to this:

I agree with everything except the bold. Just because it hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean the science doesn't show it's very likely to happen under these conditions. Shutting them down preemptively is smart.

People need to be proactive rather than reactive. Should we wait until someone dies after catching it at a theatre?

Over the last months people got infected in factories, in church services and died - but those places stay open.

It's not just about shutting down theatres. My point is about keeping almost everything else open - while we have lots of known infections at those places.

I would have no problem with a complete shutdown.
    But just a shutdown of the cultural sites will not bring down the numbers.

"but... the arts!!!"

And to this:

I think you've missed the point. Im saying humans have to decide what to prioritise. Theres re risks associated with schools and theatre. We can agree on that. The mental health, emotional health, social, artistic and academic development of an entire generation of millions upon millions of children all around the globe should take priority over a few people enjoying Madame Butterfly.
    edited October 2020 Posts: 5,958

"but... the arts!!!"

And to this:

I think you've missed the point. Im saying humans have to decide what to prioritise. Theres re risks associated with schools and theatre. We can agree on that. The mental health, emotional health, social, artistic and academic development of an entire generation of millions upon millions of children all around the globe should take priority over a few people enjoying Madame Butterfly.

I think any shutdowns should be based solely on protecting everyone from risk, not a specific group (children, operagoers, diners, vacationers).

But I also think people should get a tax credit for *not* having children. Too much overpopulation as it is.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 1,314
    echo wrote: »

"but... the arts!!!"

And to this:

I think any shutdowns should be based solely on protecting everyone from risk, not a specific group (children, operagoers, diners, vacationers).

Personally - I no longer think that's viable. I think now we behave sensibly, minimising risks so we can continue to function with a trade off of maximum benefit with as few deaths as possible.

Kids generally don't die of it. If they follow the guidelines in schools, they can largely keep the spread under control.

The benefits of children returning to school are not just educational. Their emotional and social development can be hindered staying at home. They need to be with their peers so they can better learn how to be successful humans / life skills / diplomacy / sharing / persuasion / leadership / collaboration etc etc. Not to mention their academic attainment and the atmosphere at home being home education.

Parents can also work.