NTTD & Corona

1343537394072

Comments

  • Posts: 1,394
    NTTD has been shot in IMAX and was filmed to be watched in theatres, so I think there will be a theatrical release in 2021 (april, june, july, october ...), but maybe with a simultaneous PVOD release or a very narrow window.

    Certain scenes have been shot on IMAX ,not all of the film but i agree.The film will get some sort of theatrical release but with a PVOD release following very shortly thereafter ( especially if the box office turnout is poor or if there is another flare up of Covid at the time ).
  • Posts: 3,169
    Tenet - which premiered two months ago - is nowhere near a PVOD release.
  • Posts: 625
    Zekidk wrote: »
    Tenet - which premiered two months ago - is nowhere near a PVOD release.

    And that's how it should be.

    In times like these theatre need rather a longer than a shorter exclusive window.
  • Posts: 5,837
    Tenet is first now in France, with 2 247 357 seats sold. But with the curfew, which stops every activity but the most essentials from 9 PM to 6 AM, movies are going to lose a big part of their revenues.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Posts: 2,643
    Some good news - kind of.

    Movie theaters in New York State will be allowed to re-open on October 23rd. This, does not extend to New York City itself, where theaters will remain closed for now.

    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/gov-cuomo-says-movie-theaters-outside-new-york-city-to-reopen-at-limited-capacity

    To re-open the cinemas must be located in an area where the positive COVID-19 test rate is under 2.00 percent (and there are no localized “hotspots”). If those conditions are met, theaters will be permitted to open at 25% capacity (or 50 persons per screen – whichever is less). Whether, the chains can re-open profitably at these levels is another question of course. Also open to question, is whether people will actually attend, given the lack of new movies available to be screened. I would expect, chains to screen several older titles at first in-order to gauge public enthusiasm.
  • Posts: 12,506
    I still believe will not see NTTD until November 2021 sadly. I then saw in a recent interview that Fukanaga said it potentially could be moved back again? So hold on to your Martini's everyone!
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Posts: 8,028
    If things don’t improve or get worse closer to April, that’s true for all the blockbuster films unless the studios throw their hands up and put them on VOD.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 40,566
    And provided there are even theaters alive enough 13 months from now to show these films.
  • Posts: 1,394
    Yeah its funny reading all the movie news like all the Marvel films that are planned but it makes you think that there wont be any cinemas left by the time they are ready to be released.
  • Posts: 3,169
    Maybe Christmas does come early this year:

    "Hopes of vaccine by Christmas as doses seen rolling off production line"

    https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/18/hopes-of-vaccine-by-christmas-as-doses-seen-rolling-off-production-line-13440956/
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Posts: 6,008
    Fake news.

    When any country finds a vaccine, it will be the story of the year, in every newspaper. It's not.
  • Posts: 3,164
    Obviously grain of salt but looks like there are some first rumours beginning to pick up steam...


  • antovolk wrote: »
    Obviously grain of salt but looks like there are some first rumours beginning to pick up steam...



    This is the only way I could ever see the movie going to streaming, and even then it would have to be seriously big money. Coming 2 America and Borat 2 both cost Amazon Prime around $120 million to buy and both of those cost far less money to make than NTTD.
  • Posts: 3,164
    I believe Borat was a bit less but yeah. The asking price for a film like Bond for any streamer would be astronomical, and that C2A deal is the current record holder for the most expensive acquisition of a completed film.

    The alternative way is the likelihood of MGM itself, with NTTD in tow, being sold off to Apple...
  • Posts: 3,164
    Interesting to note - the latest tweets from MI6-HQ are suggesting (if they have any insider info on this at all) what's being shopped around are just MGM's US rights - which would be a more reasonable thing price wise for a potential buyer but there's no way Apple/Netflix/Amazon will accept just the US for this.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited October 2020 Posts: 7,527
    antovolk wrote: »
    Interesting to note - the latest tweets from MI6-HQ are suggesting (if they have any insider info on this at all) what's being shopped around are just MGM's US rights - which would be a more reasonable thing price wise for a potential buyer but there's no way Apple/Netflix/Amazon will accept just the US for this.

    No idea if we'd be included, but my hope would be that if the US got NTTD on streaming, that we in Canada would too!
    Seems like that would be more likely with AppleTV rather than Netflix, where the US/CA showings are quite different.
  • Posts: 3,164
    For NTTD, Canada is under Universal Pictures so if the deal is for MGM's slice of distribution rights, you'll be out of luck.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Posts: 4,554
    antovolk wrote: »
    I believe Borat was a bit less but yeah. The asking price for a film like Bond for any streamer would be astronomical, and that C2A deal is the current record holder for the most expensive acquisition of a completed film.

    The alternative way is the likelihood of MGM itself, with NTTD in tow, being sold off to Apple...

    MGM has been the sole albatross around the franchise's neck. Maybe this will be a case of short-term pain (a Bond launched via streaming) for long-term gain (the end of MGM).
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    Posts: 1,400
    Put it on Apple TV---I just got a free year's subscription with my new MacBook Pro. Bring it on.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts: 7,527
    =bg= wrote: »
    Put it on Apple TV---I just got a free year's subscription with my new MacBook Pro. Bring it on.

    Chances are we’d have to pay an additional fee to watch it anyways, isn’t that what they did with Mulan?
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 3,164

    "MGM declined to comment on any talks, but said the film “is not for sale.”"

    And the MI6 HQ guys maintain that this is all for the US rights and the international release would be therefore retained https://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/no-time-to-die-mgm-offers-for-no-time-to-die-streaming-rights
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 1,314
    I think we should all forget April. Never going to happen. I can’t see the numbers other side of winter being near where they were even this August so the market just isn’t going to exist.

    The pattern is clear. Politicians are understandably not giving us realistic time tables as it would be bad for morale.

    Macron has just said there will be some restrictions at least until next summer. I’d bet further. Way further.

    People’s willingness to adhere to strict lockdowns is probably naturally going to decrease, the weather is against us, and a vaccine won’t be in circulation then, if we even find one which is not certain.

    We’re in for a very hard and very long winter and for many going to the cinema is not going to be a priority, if they can even afford it. Either way I don’t think the film is ever going to make its money during its initial release in whatever platform
  • Posts: 3,164
    Interesting to note from McWeeny's newsletter is the possibility of the deal being a one year exclusive window - similar to Netflix's deal with Paramount on Annihilation and a couple other films. Netflix launch the film, then a year later Paramount release it on physical home entertainment and still get to do the ancillary deals with TV and what have you (that'd obviously have to be renegotiated in light of no traditional theatrical release)
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Posts: 4,343
    At this point I just want to see it, so I don’t care if it’s on a big IMAX screen or my TV. I’m starting to believe 2021 will be doomed as well, from the perspective of a very good box office run. Perhaps an hybrid solution will finally unlock the picture.
  • Posts: 1,314
    matt_u wrote: »
    At this point I just want to see it, so I don’t care if it’s on a big IMAX screen or my TV. I’m starting to believe 2021 will be doomed as well, from the perspective of a very good box office run. Perhaps an hybrid solution will finally unlock the picture.

    Yes it’s likely that will need to be the model moving forward. And who knows maybe big event blockbuster films in cinemas are a thing of the past. Amazon are producing a $200 million Lord if the Rings tv show. I think it’s more likely we’ll see that model adopted in future
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Posts: 4,343
    Matt007 wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    At this point I just want to see it, so I don’t care if it’s on a big IMAX screen or my TV. I’m starting to believe 2021 will be doomed as well, from the perspective of a very good box office run. Perhaps an hybrid solution will finally unlock the picture.

    Yes it’s likely that will need to be the model moving forward. And who knows maybe big event blockbuster films in cinemas are a thing of the past. Amazon are producing a $200 million Lord if the Rings tv show. I think it’s more likely we’ll see that model adopted in future

    Yep. With $600/700 millions on the table NTTD would need let’s say $2billions to make such a profit, and in 12 months the film would still come back under their control. All this within the greatest crisis in boxoffice history. Incredible.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited October 2020 Posts: 6,008
    Matt007 wrote: »
    The pattern is clear. Politicians are understandably not giving us realistic time tables as it would be bad for morale.

    And for them. Same reason why they always promise tax cuts, military spending, etc. It's all about the next election. There's no incentive for politicians to think long-term.
  • Posts: 3,164
    So, looks like $600m for global rights is what MGM (!) is asking for
Sign In or Register to comment.