NTTD & Corona

1313234363772

Comments

  • Not everyone is afraid of going to the cinema, please don't generalise. People going on holiday abroad, that's irresponsible to me. A vaccine may also take years to develop and distribute as well.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Posts: 8,071
    Not everyone is afraid of going to the cinema, please don't generalise.

    Studios gave it a chance this fall and not enough people went to the cinema. Not enough money to make a profit for the studios and more importantly not enough for theaters to keep operating to the point they were LOSING MONEY. There were even considerations for shutting down theaters during the weekday so it would only be open for the weekend. That's how bad this was. No amount of wishful thinking was going to keep cinemas alive, not when people didn't feel safe going. Just because you say it's safe to go to the cinema doesn't mean everyone believed that.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 17,432
    One thing is whether people feel safe going to the cinema, even if it is. Another thing is the fact that in uncertain times like these, a lot of people won't spend money on things they rather spend on more necessary expenses. I find going to the cinema expensive enough as it is, so I rarely do. With people worrying about their income and future, going to the cinema isn't high on their list.

    Personally, going to the cinema hasn't crossed my mind at all.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Posts: 8,071
    Goes to show that the studios had a good reason to fear that one day people would see theaters as less essential when it comes to entertainment.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 2,598
    If I weren’t living in China, I wouldn’t go to the cinema.

    To think, if Eon hadn’t have had this falling out with Boyle, we would have seen this film back in November of 2019 before all this started. :) The plagued production of NTTD...

    I never took the November 2020 release date very seriously but when we started getting all this new marketing, I did start to think, hey, might this actually happen (although they won’t make as much money as they could have obviously)? That being said, this new release date is no surprise but it’s difficult to see it happening. Personally, I think the new release date should be November 2021 at the very earliest. Even this date may be too early.

    IFP, give us a new adult Bond book with Horowitz writing!

    Some on the radio have been talking about how someone has been cast as the new Bond and that due to the release delays, this means they have to keep their casting a secret for longer. :)
  • Posts: 631
    I’m quite pessimistic about all this. The film companies have likely torpedoed themselves by delaying so many films to 2021 because cinema chains will go bust in the meantime.

    The nearest cinema to me for miles is Cineworld and that closes on Thursday.

    It seems strange but it’s possible that Pet Semetary will turn out to be the very last film I saw on a big screen
  • Posts: 3,164
    Not everyone is afraid of going to the cinema, please don't generalise.

    Studios gave it a chance this fall and not enough people went to the cinema. Not enough money to make a profit for the studios and more importantly not enough for theaters to keep operating to the point they were LOSING MONEY. There were even considerations for shutting down theaters during the weekday so it would only be open for the weekend. That's how bad this was. No amount of wishful thinking was going to keep cinemas alive, not when people didn't feel safe going. Just because you say it's safe to go to the cinema doesn't mean everyone believed that.

    Just to clarify a couple of things here - the only real attempt here was Tenet. None of the indie and arthouse films that got released really made a difference in the large scale of things. And with Tenet the results showed - things worked in the UK and Europe and other countries that were open. The main place where it didn't work, where it didn't make cinemas enough money to keep operating, was the US. And because of its outsized importance to the studuos, they all fled to 2021.

    Of course Tenet alone wouldn't have sustained cinemas, the idea was that if Tenet was seen as successful other studios would stick with or even being forward their upcoming films that they've delayed. Unfortunately, because of Tenet's US performance specifically as the primary factor, the release had the opposite effect.

    @CraigMooreOHMSS hard to say in all honesty. The argument goes that if studios don't take a hit to help cinemas now there won't be many left by the time their films come out. Just depends on how 'benevolent' they are to choose to potentially lose money on a specific film for the sake of keeping the infrastructure ticking.
  • You've made some excellent points, Antovolk. Tenet did excellently well in the UK and Europe, just not in the US.

    Here's another good Guardian article.

    https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/oct/05/comment-film-industry-cineworld-closure-james-bond-no-time-to-die

  • Here's a good comment on the Guardian article (which is a reply to another comment):

    "It's not its job (to save the cinema). But the whole franchise was born of the cinema, and exists because of the cinema. One might say that it's in Eon's interest to support the existence of cinema, for the survival of the franchise - if not for a sense of loyalty to a medium that made it unimaginably wealthy."
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Posts: 8,096
    It all just reinforces that despite the subjective personal will to see the film, the business decision that was made was probably the best one that could have been made under the circumstances. The reprocussions of it could certainly ripple back down the line, but for now, it's the hard place over the rock.
  • RedNineRedNine Poland
    Posts: 71
    Well, a lot of people put it on the governments to support the cinemas but I am not sure if that's entirely fair. It's not like this is a business that can't work under the pandemic, there are proper protocols in place, their problem is lack of content that would bring people back. As far as I know restaurants or barbershops were not compensated for the lack of clients but rather for the fact that they werent allowed to stay open- cinemas are now allowed to stay open so it would be unfair for them to get money just because people don't want to go and watch some indie movies or rerelease of a classic.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Posts: 3,022
    If anybody cares, those sneaky bastards at EON squeezed in new footage in today's James Bond Day video:

    Screengrabs/video in production thread
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Posts: 8,071
    antovolk wrote: »

    Gee that doesn’t fit the tabloid narrative!
  • Posts: 1,394
    It should be noted that Tenets poor U.S showing is mainly down to cinemas being closed in major regions like New York and California.If cinemas were open in major locations like these it would have made a lot more money.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Posts: 8,096
    If only it were safe enough to do so.
  • RedNineRedNine Poland
    Posts: 71
    If only it were safe enough to do so.

    It is, that's why they are open in many other parts of the world
  • Posts: 625
    If only it were safe enough to do so.

    It is more than safe enough.
  • Agreed, it is.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Posts: 8,096
    Missing the point, again - it is obviously not safe enough if they're still closed in those cities. Personal experiences in the UK, Poland, Germany, wherever....don't change that.
  • RedNineRedNine Poland
    Posts: 71
    Missing the point, again - it is obviously not safe enough if they're still closed in those cities. Personal experiences in the UK, Poland, Germany, wherever....don't change that.

    If 90% of the world deems something safe and 10% not then automatically 10% are right ?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Posts: 8,096
    RedNine wrote: »
    Missing the point, again - it is obviously not safe enough if they're still closed in those cities. Personal experiences in the UK, Poland, Germany, wherever....don't change that.

    If 90% of the world deems something safe and 10% not then automatically 10% are right ?

    No, it just means things are worse there than they are everywhere else. That's what I was getting at. Saying things like "if theatres were open in LA and NY, Tenet would have fared a lot better" is redundant. They weren't and it didn't, and it's because of the virus.
  • Posts: 625
    Missing the point, again - it is obviously not safe enough if they're still closed in those cities. Personal experiences in the UK, Poland, Germany, wherever....don't change that.

    That's not the point.
    You don't get infected even if all the other people in the auditorium have corona. It's almost impossible, because of the nature of a movie screening.
    In New York restaurants, bowling alleys and other things are open. And those are definately more risky than movie theatres. The gouverneur just doesn't get it.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited October 2020 Posts: 8,096
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    Missing the point, again - it is obviously not safe enough if they're still closed in those cities. Personal experiences in the UK, Poland, Germany, wherever....don't change that.

    That's not the point.

    That is the point. And stating otherwise is just going around in circles and you are still only pulling from personal experience.
  • So, RedNine, 90% of the planet feels it's safe. How did that work out for Tenet? I would think it's closer to theaters were open in most areas of the world but not everyone came back to theaters; perhaps THEY personally did feel safe? And in the U.S., well, it's been so mishanded. President thought it was pretty safe and then contracted COVID himself, also infecting many in his administration.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited October 2020 Posts: 10,588
    If the studios were truly wise, they would use this six months to come up with a viable plan to release the film in the current landscape, given that April seems even more unlikely than November did. Delaying the film again for the fifth time in hopes of a theatrical release would be incredibly dense. We are no longer living in a time where a global theatrical release is possible. There’s going to be a time in a couple of months where everyone involved will have to make the decision of going forward with April (if that’s even remotely possible), or going with Plan B.

    Depending on whether or not theatres survive, Plan B could either be a simultaneous PVOD and staggered cinema release where possible, a standard PVOD release, or something new. But an endless cycle of delays every 6 months has become wishful thinking as we head into ‘21.

    The possibility of seeing a Bond film on the big screen again will largely depend on government support for theatre chains. If there is none, then we must face the reality that cinema-going will become a niche. As it stands now, theatre-going is not on people’s minds.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Posts: 8,096
    I would like to see this become a priority too, @jake24

    It really should have been done before now, even if only as a contingency. But there is no time like the present. It will be great if it ends up not having to be used, but I hope they at least put their heads together and talk about possibilities.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Posts: 10,588
    I would like to see this become a priority too, @jake24

    It really should have been done before now, even if only as a contingency. But there is no time like the present. It will be great if it ends up not having to be used, but I hope they at least put their heads together and talk about possibilities.
    I would’ve preferred seeing the film in November on my home setup them waiting until a few weeks before April to find out if it’s even keeping it’s release date. Having studied film I will always argue that seeing a movie like this on the big screen is the only way one can experience all the emotions the filmmakers intended, but this simply isn’t a realistic option anymore.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 40,677
    jake24 wrote: »
    I would like to see this become a priority too, @jake24

    It really should have been done before now, even if only as a contingency. But there is no time like the present. It will be great if it ends up not having to be used, but I hope they at least put their heads together and talk about possibilities.
    I would’ve preferred seeing the film in November on my home setup them waiting until a few weeks before April to find out if it’s even keeping it’s release date. Having studied film I will always argue that seeing a movie like this on the big screen is the only way one can experience all the emotions the filmmakers intended, but this simply isn’t a realistic option anymore.

    Agreed completely. Unprecedented times call for unprecedented measures. Like I said, the further these films get delayed, the less and less likely it is that there's going to be many theaters left to even show these films when the time comes next year.
  • Posts: 625
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    Missing the point, again - it is obviously not safe enough if they're still closed in those cities. Personal experiences in the UK, Poland, Germany, wherever....don't change that.

    That's not the point.

    That is the point. And stating otherwise is just going around in circles and you are still only pulling from personal experience.

    I know that people feel different about it.
    But the concept of a cinema screening with distanced seating is the same all around the world.
    And by the way: there are even studies about this topic: https://newsabc.net/new-corona-study-air-in-the-office-is-much-more-polluted-than-that-in-the-cinema/
Sign In or Register to comment.