Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

Creasy47 wrote:
    New 'Foxcatcher' trailer! I thought this film looked great, but now, it's escalated to one of my most anticipated films of the year. Looks like it'll deliver stunning performances throughout.

I´m officially impressed. And glad Carell doesn´t do comedy for a change.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @boldfinger, same here. I'll admit, I'm a big fan of Tatum, but he really seems to finally shine in this, and Carrell looks unrecognizable in his role.
    I'm just not excited about the summer films thus far. I don't see anything I want to run out and catch. I'm turned off by all the CGI heavily laden films and I can't stand Tatum. I just don't get his appeal. Brad Pitt I understand but Tatum? I don't see it. To each his or her own.
    I think he was funny in both of the Jump Street films and managed to handle comedy and improvisation quite well, and I thought he was great in 'Haywire.' I'm with you on the summer films, though, I find myself becoming less and less of a fan of blockbusters and more and more of a fan of indie films or quality dramas. I've been that way for years. I've now seen three films this whole year, I'm very picky about what I go and see, unless I don't have a choice.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 12,837
    I've only seen him in the Jump Street films and Haywire but I like Channing Tatum. Not sure why everyone seems to hate him. He's likeable, he's good at comedy and he's a decent actor. He also seems to be one of the few big Hollywood stars that aren't really egotistical and up their own arse, he happily makes fun of himself (like when they took the piss out of White House Down in 22 Jump Street). He seems like a nice enough guy too.
    That's when I can appreciate an actor like that, knowing they aren't a hotheaded ass who thinks too highly of themselves, and also when they can poke fun at their own bad work.
    Maybe we should start a thread about celebrities whom we love but others can't seem to get into. They call Tatum a 'hearthrob".

For me its Carla Gugino. I think she is the best thing since sliced bread but a lot of my friends (male and female) just don't know what I see in her. :)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited July 2014 Posts: 13,936
    Regarding Tatum- I remember the <a href=" Damme split parody</a> he did helped show me that he has a great sense of humour. I think the first time I saw him in a film was 'She's the Man', which he did well in considering the type of film. Not exactly a role to showcase his talents, but he did his best with it.
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    For me its Carla Gugino. I think she is the best thing since sliced bread but a lot of my friends (male and female) just don't know what I see in her. :)
    I've really liked Carla Gugino ever since I saw her in Jet Li's 'The One'. She's beautiful, and can definitely act. I liked her in 'Californication' season 4, too. :)>-
    @OHMSS69, you needn't worry, I'm right there with you. Gugino is absolutely breathtaking, and I've loved her in everything I've seen her in: 'Sin City,' 'American Gangster,' 'Californication,' etc.
    @Creasy I forgot about her being in Sin City. That is a sin in itself.
    QBranch wrote:

Indeed it is. Small role, but she looks unbelievable in that movie.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    QBranch wrote:

Remember that short lived weekly series she had back in 2005? It was about Alien invasion and Brent Spiner (TNG Data) played in that show too. such a thrill seeing her on a weekly basis. Pity the show was cancelled at mid-way, it had some promise and was quite good, or maybe I'm bias because she was in it.

I was watching an old re run of Quantum Leap and she guest starred in the season 4 episode, "Ghost Ship".
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    QBranch wrote:

Remember that short lived weekly series she had back in 2005? It was about Alien invasion and Brent Spiner (TNG Data) played in that show too. such a thrill seeing her on a weekly basis. Pity the show was cancelled at mid-way, it had some promise and was quite good, or maybe I'm bias because she was in it.

I was watching an old re run of Quantum Leap and she guest starred in the season 4 episode, "Ghost Ship".

I think you're talking about 'Threshold.' I never watched it, but it seemed to be pretty good, unfortunate it was yet another show that got up and cancelled and left plot points open, from what I heard.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 2,341
    Speaking of 2005 that season saw some good Sci Fi in prime time. "Threshold" on CBS, NBC had one about sea monsters (name escapes me) and ABC had a great show called "Invasion" that dealt with aliens following a devestating hurricane.

By seasons end all three shows were eventually cancelled and that was a pity. "Invasion" was very good.
    Mark Kermode & friends give a special musical tribute to Transformers 4:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/markkermode/posts/Transformers-A-Musical-Tribute

:D
    Here are four new teaser posters for David Fincher's 'Gone Girl,' containing an announcement that a new trailer will be released on Monday, July 7th:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=120240
    edited July 2014 Posts: 13,936
    I don't know if someone has already post it (I didn't see it in recent pages).

A Most Wanted Man
    From a Le Carré novel, with the late and great Philip Seymour Hoffman and the beautiful Rachel McAdams.

I really want to see it and I hope this time the've done Le Carré right.
    @0013, yeah, that film looks incredible, looking forward to seeing another Le Carré film adaptation, plus one of Hoffman's last roles. They put up a new trailer for it a few days back but I've yet to watch it. I think I won't, just to save the rest of it for my first viewing of it, so I can go into it oblivious.
    Here's the second trailer for 'Gone Girl':

This looks like my fave movie of the year. Let's see if it will deliver.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I hope there are no more Gone Girl trailers. I feel like they've revealed way too much already, and this trailer confirms that. I wish I hadn't watched it.
    I'm limiting myself to a trailer or two for all movies I see now. However, I hear that you shouldn't assume you know the ending because of the new 'Gone Girl' trailer, Brady. Plus, Fincher doesn't seem to cut it like that, I doubt he'd give up huge spoilers with ease in a trailer.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I'm limiting myself to a trailer or two for all movies I see now. However, I hear that you shouldn't assume you know the ending because of the new 'Gone Girl' trailer, Brady. Plus, Fincher doesn't seem to cut it like that, I doubt he'd give up huge spoilers with ease in a trailer.
    Oh, I know. For instance, when they show
    the man's wife (Pike) dead in a body of water it could easily be a nightmare one of the characters is having, and not be an actual event that happened.
    Exactly. In fact, I highly doubt they would shroud the trailers in such mystery and reveal that. I'm sure it's just a nightmare.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Exactly. In fact, I highly doubt they would shroud the trailers in such mystery and reveal that. I'm sure it's just a nightmare.
    I look forward to seeing it. They keep playing up Affleck's character as a villain but they do the same with a few others, leading you to believe that something else is going on below the surface. It'll be interesting to discover the truth behind this mystery when it hits theaters.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I look forward to seeing it. They keep playing up Affleck's character as a villain but they do the same with a few others, leading you to believe that something else is going on below the surface. It'll be interesting to discover the truth behind this mystery when it hits theaters.

Agreed. I haven't read the book, so I can't wait to figure out the twist to it all (if there is a twist...) when it releases in a few months. Let's hope Fincher decides to do TGWPWF after that...I would be one happy, happy man.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    TGWPWF reads so cinematically - it would be a crime if it is not made and soon, with Mara especially.
    TGWPWF reads so cinematically - it would be a crime if it is not made and soon, with Mara especially.

Mara's interested, Craig will be done shooting B24 in the middle of next year, and I'm sure Fincher will take a small break from filming after 'Gone Girl.' It's the perfect opportunity. It'll be: his next project, someone else that directs it, or not happening at all.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Option C, my Lord, option C!