Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Creasy47 wrote:
    No worries, my apologies. I think by the time 'Guardians of the Galaxy' is out, I'll have seen four films this entire year. It's just too much money to go and see everything that looks remotely entertaining in theaters.

I Completely agree, I wanted to see Wolf of Wall Street but it never happened, I have the Blu ray which cost the price of 2 cinema tickets but have yet to watch as my player packed up last week.

I'd love to support cinema more but prices make me think twice about what I watch, I think each summer I've watched less and less blockbusters as the years go on.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I loved 'The Wolf of Wall Street,' I thought it was amazing work. That was the last film I saw in cinemas in 2013.

Same, I wish I could support cinemas more, but it's really a gamble these days. Unless I'm completely sold on a film, then I'm not going to spend that much money seeing it in theaters. Then when I see a movie, I either want a glass or two of alcohol or some food, and that jacks up the price even more.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I'm so looking forward to seeing just got to wait for my new BR player turn up which should be next week. It was released here at the beginning of the year and stupidly went to see American Hustle and then my Wife wouldn't go and see WOWS.

AH was OK but could have been see at home, I've a feeling I'll regret not seeing this on the big screen when I watch it on BR, it's Marty and it's bound to look visually stunning as his films tend to.

I'm personally not interested in food or drink at the cinema, maybe a bottle of water and not many serve alcohol in the UK but I can imagine how that bumps it up.

I'm thinking certain films will be dead cert for cinema like Dawn of The Planet of The Apes and undoubtedly Gone Girl, next year it will obviously be Bond and I've no doubt Star War amongst others. Certain films need that big screen treatment and I've seen every Bond film since SWLM on the big screen with the exception of OP.
    I thought 'American Hustle' was real good, but it's one of the many films I've purchased recently that I realized "It was good, but not enough to rewatch all the time." 'The Wolf Of Wall Street,' on the other hand, is one of those films.

I always end up caving and purchasing something at the cinema when I see everyone else eating. It's why I try and grab something to eat right before I go to the movies, just so I don't buy overpriced food while I'm there.

Yep, in terms of cinema, there's only a select few that I know I'll end up seeing, and it'll be an even smaller list because I'm sure some of them will have a very limited release. 'Edge of Tomorrow,' 'Guardians of the Galaxy,' 'Gone Girl,' and 'The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies' are the only guaranteed movies that I'll see by the end of the year.
    'Jupiter Ascending' has been delayed until February 2015:

http://www.slashfilm.com/jupiter-ascending-delay-february-2015/
    :/
    I want to see A Million Ways To Die In The West, but only for Amanda Seyfried. Going by the trailers, I would have to agree with the post by @Creasy47 above this, it does look dire not only that, but it looks like the kind of film that is littered with knob jokes.

You Sir have chosen the best reason to watch the movie, AMANDA SEYFRIED.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    From the look of the trailer, she is the only reason to watch it. I'm not a fan the Western genre, but this film is going to really test my temptation to not use the fast forward button.

The beginning of that video was endearingly dorky.
    That new Tom Cruise sci fi film looks really interesting. I may go see that one. Most films that Cruise stars in are usually worth seeing. Love him or hate him, the man has a knack for being in good films. ever since Top Gun in 1986, Cruise always has good films.
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    That new Tom Cruise sci fi film looks really interesting. I may go see that one. Most films that Cruise stars in are usually worth seeing. Love him or hate him, the man has a knack for being in good films. ever since Top Gun in 1986, Cruise always has good films.

I've been excited to see this movie for months, and I love how when the marketing really kicked in, I saw people on miscellaneous movie forums talk about how generic and terrible the movie looks, but as soon as those (surprisingly, thankfully) amazing reviews started coming out for the movie, everyone and their brother was talking about lining up to see it. I really hope it makes a lot so they can get a sequel out of it.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 5,767
    Creasy47 wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:

I've been excited to see this movie for months, and I love how when the marketing really kicked in, I saw people on miscellaneous movie forums talk about how generic and terrible the movie looks, but as soon as those (surprisingly, thankfully) amazing reviews started coming out for the movie, everyone and their brother was talking about lining up to see it. I really hope it makes a lot so they can get a sequel out of it.
    It is rather good indeed. It has quite a number of funny moments, the humor is comfortingly subtle, especially for a groundhog day movie. Tom is as always self-indulgent and at the same time an incredibly good actor. Bill Paxton looks like he really enjoys being a soldier again, made me wish for another Paxton/Cameron film.

I went to see A Million ways to Die in the West yesterday, I won't spoil anything (not that there is much to spoil in a comedy) but it really isn't a film I would recommend people watch, it offers mild entertainment but no big laughs, no great moments and is not consistent. I always use Monty Python films as a film that I compare comedies to, no matter what style, and I feel that this does try to be a much ruder, crapper version of a Monty Python film, but it is mildly entertaining so I wouldn't say it is bad.
    edited June 2014 Posts: 40,480
    @boldfinger, I'm happy to hear more positive words about 'Edge of Tomorrow.' I'm glad you liked it, it makes me that much more excited to see it, though I'm not sure if I'll get a chance to go out and see it in theaters, unfortunately.

Did you want someone who directed one of the 'Twilight' films to direct a live-action version of 'Beauty and the Beast'? No? Too bad:

http://bit.ly/1hA2n8T
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Did you want someone who directed one of the 'Twilight' films to direct a live-action version of 'Beauty and the Beast'? No? Too bad:

http://bit.ly/1hA2n8T
    I didn´t even go to see Christophe Gans´ version, and he made The Pact of the Wolves.
    But now that you mention it, I wouldn´t mind a version without any effects, based purely on acting and script. That would be a beautiful challenge. Maybe I watched too many Marvel films lately ;-).

Finally, a first (set) foto from Michael Mann´s upcoming Cyber.
    I see guys in bullet-proof vests holding guns, and an industrial harbor background, so it looks like Mann is playing it safe this time. Which I find great, since Mann´s crime thrillers set in present time were always a safe bet, as opposed to his more ambitious but less delightful period pieces.

http://www.filmstarts.de/nachrichten/18486290.html
    @boldfinger, I've read two early (very early) reviews of the film (which, apparently, 'Cyber' might just be a working title, and the film could be called 'Black Hat'), and they say that just because the film is a look into cyber terrorism, security, and heists, it isn't without action, and they said there are a lot of great, Mann-esque action sequences that definitely make sense within the story. The reviewer said these scenes were akin to his action work in 'Collateral' and 'Miami Vice,' so consider me excited.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @boldfinger, I've read two early (very early) reviews of the film (which, apparently, 'Cyber' might just be a working title, and the film could be called 'Black Hat'), and they say that just because the film is a look into cyber terrorism, security, and heists, it isn't without action, and they said there are a lot of great, Mann-esque action sequences that definitely make sense within the story. The reviewer said these scenes were akin to his action work in 'Collateral' and 'Miami Vice,' so consider me excited.
    That´s pretty much the impression I got from that foto. Very much looking forward to it :-).

Shipping containers seem to be a big thing in Mann's films, so it was nice to see them yet again, albeit an odd thing to compliment a film on. I'm glad the action sequences aren't going to be shoe-horned in, too. That makes me happy.
    Where did they get the idea for this poster? ;-)

1979724_10152430911122708_4780036600260313389_n.jpg
    @WillyGalore, that's a fan poster, but I do wonder...;-).
    I know but it is very good still.
    I know but it is very good still.

That it is. I went from knowing nothing about the world of 'Guardians of the Galaxy' to seeing all the images, teasers, trailers, etc., and it's one of my most anticipated films of the year. It looks phenomenal.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I want to see it too. It sort of reminds me of Spaceballs.
    I was surprised by the amount of comedy and lightheartedness in the trailers. I commented on it to my buddy, but he pretty much ripped me a new one because I'm not big on the comic book scene, so I didn't know that the high volume of comedy was to be expected from the footage.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'm actually glad it has comedy in it at all. A good chunk of Superhero movies have ditched humor in favor of the dark grittyness. It's quite refreshing.
    Murdock wrote:
    I'm actually glad it has comedy in it at all. A good chunk of Superhero movies have ditched humor in favor of the dark grittyness. It's quite refreshing.

That's exactly why I was surprised. Most superhero movies now seem to tip to the dark, gritty side, instead of the light-hearted, fun, comedic side, so it's going to be a nice change of pace, that's for sure.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

That's exactly why I was surprised. Most superhero movies now seem to tip to the dark, gritty side, instead of the light-hearted, fun, comedic side, so it's going to be a nice change of pace, that's for sure.
    More than that, the trailers suggest very much of an 80s style, including the type of humor, i.e. not just funny, but fun. If I understand correctly, Spacelord is from the 80s? That is so cool!

That poster is fantasmagoric!

Tom Hardy and Benedict Cumberbatch are on the short list for 'Doctor Strange':

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=119226
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Tom Hardy and Benedict Cumberbatch are on the short list for 'Doctor Strange':

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=119226
    Wow, I'd love it if Benedict was selected. His voice and presence alone would fast make him a Marvel favorite following the film's release.
    I, too, would love to see Benedict in the role. Then again, I've seen so many other fan opinions on who should play him, and there are a lot of interesting ideas out there. A big one I've seen floating around is Mads Mikkelsen. I think that would be something interesting.