Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    And to think Sicario himself would be the Mexican drug kingpin. :D

AND he's got the sequel coming next year, Soldado. Seems we'll get a lot of cartel-driven del Toro flicks in the next year or two then, can't complain about that.
    Nope. I wouldn't complain either. Benicio Del Toro is always great to watch on the screen, especially in action-driven films.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    1st trailer for Ocean's 8 will drop tomorrow:

Looking forward to this purely because of the cast. Looks to be a classy affair, which is a different vibe from that ghost one.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Now, I understand why they called it Ocean's 8. Oh I see the logic now... They're planning to do a trilogy, with the next two being 9 and 10, and all the circle comes to completion when number 11 itself is the original.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    "Should we do an original, all-female heist film, or piggyback off the success of a decade-old trilogy and chuck women in instead?"

"Uhhh...the last one, obviously!"
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    After that they can do Ocean s 14, 15 and 16 with senior citizens. Later on Ocean s 5, 6 and 7 with dwarves.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 5,767
    And to think Sicario himself would be the Mexican drug kingpin. :D
    The novel felt like a cheap soap opera to me, lots of boring personal relationships and dragging character depictions, while The Power of the Dog was a Thunderstorm full of action, badass characters, and well-dressed, sharp political observations.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Interesting cast, but if I want to watch an 'Oceans...' film, i'll stick with the 1960 original.
  • If I want to watch an oceans film I'll watch Blue Planet.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2017 Posts: 15,690
    Did it sort of indicate that the original Ocean’s 11 also exists in this timeline?
    Full trailer for Ocean's 8:

It doesn't look too bad actually. They've certainly nailed the diversity quotient (the first remake did that too though) so it's unlikely to be controversial. The question for me now is will it depict men as bumbling fools or will there be some smart dudes in it too. I hope the latter.

I seem to be seeing Rihanna everywhere these days. I didn't realize she was an actress.

I'm sure Hathaway will ace it.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2017 Posts: 15,690
    @bondjames 2 actors of the previous trilogy will appear in this spin-off: Carl Reiner (at 95 years of age, the oldest main cast member of Ocean's 11/12/13) and Matt Damon.

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 @bondjames @MajorDSmythe @DarthDimi @doubleoego @Creasy47 @ClarkDevlin

DRYvEdPX4AAjvOy.jpg
    I didn't know that Damon and Reiner were returning @DaltonCraig007. I look forward to seeing both of them in their old roles. I think Oceans 8 should be pretty decent overall.
    WOW. I'm so in.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Holy crap! Now that's what I'm talking about. Brolin and Del Toro are the definition of bad a$$#S.
    I didn´t even finish watching the Ocean´s 8 trailer. I don´t seem to be very interested.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I seem to be seeing Rihanna everywhere these days. I didn't realize she was an actress.
    Why would appearing in films make her an actress?
    Of course I can´t really judge how good she is, because I haven´t seen a lot of her in films. I guess she´s not bad.

Sicario 2 on the other hand... I´m absolutely with ya, @Creasy47 and @bondjames!
    OK, despite finding the first one dull up until the third act, I am excited to see this one. I mean... Josh Brolin, Benicio Del Toro, and Jeffrey “Michael Westen” Donovan kicking arse and taking names? I’m in!
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,883
    boldfinger wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    Why would appearing in films make her an actress?
    A fair point. She could be there purely for star power. As long as it's not Madonna DAD redux I can tolerate. After all, this film is making a statement. I wouldn't want them to blow it with a miscast.

--
    EDIT: I think the Bond crew should seriously take a look at Dariusz Wolski (Soldado) for cinematographer duties. I've been quite impressed with him to date.
    Plus, Catherine Keener´s in it!
    I liked Sicario, so definitely checking this out.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    "Should we do an original, all-female heist film, or piggyback off the success of a decade-old trilogy and chuck women in instead?"

I don't see the problem with it really. Yeah they're milking it but that's just Hollywood isn't it and the first Clooney one was a remake after all.
    Yes, but it didn´t feature appalling over-acting in the first scene of the trailer.

I don't see the problem with it really. Yeah they're milking it but that's just Hollywood isn't it and the first Clooney one was a remake after all.

I just think if there really is an issue surrounding female representation in film, then they aren't doing themselves favors by piggybacking off the success of old films/trilogies/series, and should aim to craft an original universe instead.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 12,837

I just think if there really is an issue surrounding female representation in film, then they aren't doing themselves favors by piggybacking off the success of old films/trilogies/series, and should aim to craft an original universe instead.

I think that's easier said than done unfortunately. Probably hard finding funding for a blockbuster that isn't attached to a proven brand.

Besides I think making it an actual Ocean's film with links to the others is better than making a new heist film that's basically an Oceans film in all but name. It seems to be set in the same world as the other ones and developed from the start as an Oceans film, so I see it more as another (unnecessary, don't get me wrong) Ocean's movie that happens to have an all woman cast rather than a woman led heist movie piggybacking off the success of the originals (which weren't original themselves were they, it was a remake).

I get why people are annoyed that they're doing another one in the first place. What I don't really get is the idea that a cast of women as the crew somehow makes it an even worse idea. If anything I think it's better, at least they're doing something to set it apart from the Clooney trilogy.
    Why "Ocean"?
    isle-of-dogs-poster-378x600.png
    Why "Ocean"?
    They thought Sea would be too small. They need a bigger attention.

I think that's easier said than done unfortunately. Probably hard finding funding for a blockbuster that isn't attached to a proven brand.

Besides I think making it an actual Ocean's film with links to the others is better than making a new heist film that's basically an Oceans film in all but name. It seems to be set in the same world as the other ones and developed from the start as an Oceans film, so I see it more as another (unnecessary, don't get me wrong) Ocean's movie that happens to have an all woman cast rather than a woman led heist movie piggybacking off the success of the originals (which weren't original themselves were they, it was a remake).

I get why people are annoyed that they're doing another one in the first place. What I don't really get is the idea that a cast of women as the crew somehow makes it an even worse idea. If anything I think it's better, at least they're doing something to set it apart from the Clooney trilogy.
    They would if they put together a male and female crew.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

Adios pappapapapapapapap skkkkkkkkrrrrrrrrr that trailer was awesome!