Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    @bondjames, the 2013 reboot Lara is a whiny, traumatic, emo teen with mood swings. People call it "Humane", I call it BS. Lara Croft was created as an action heroine with a lot of sex appeal and absolute confidence (although, not to an absurd level as Angelina Jolie's Lara). That's why I'll always protest the latest reboot that took every trope Lara Croft had and turned her into something I don't recognize. Other than the names and some backgrounds, there's no resemblance between the new one and the original.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,883
    That's disappointing to read @ClarkDevlin. The trailer for the film suggests that Vikander will play her with spark and zest and I hope that's accurate, but as with Bond there is an inevitable trend towards the emo stuff these days. It's regrettable. That's why I really enjoyed Thor Ragnarok last month. It was a throwback to good old fashioned fun at the movies.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Ready Player One isn't doing anything for me sadly. I may have to give it a miss.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Ready Player One isn't doing anything for me sadly. I may have to give it a miss.

I definitely won't be seeing it.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2017 Posts: 15,690
    Clint Eastwood may be 87 years old but he still hasn't lost his touch, looks like another solid film from him.

I wonder what you thought of the trailer, @bondjames?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
  • bondjames wrote: »
    This seems suspiciously like Edge of Tomorrow.

Not to mention Groundhog Day.
  • Cool! I’ll watch Orient Express when it comes out on BluRay. Looking forward to the newer adaptation of Nile, as well.

What annoys me is that Agatha Christie has conceived so many just as fascinating murders in exotic settings. No Need for remakes. Besides, to me Peter Ustinov will always be Poirot.
    I have no idea what 15:17 to Paris is about @DaltonCraig007, but that trailer has me quite intrigued and Clint definitely still has it.

Annihilation looks really good too. A bit of Arrival in it.

Both trailers have done their job of whetting my appetite without giving too much away.
    @bondjames it's about this specific terrorist attack in France in 2015: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Thalys_train_attack

Thanks @DaltonCraig007. I had a quick look but didn't read on because I don't want it to spoil anything about the plot. It's interesting that Eastwood decided to focus on this. He's known for his character work and perhaps saw a subject where he could build out characters in a tense atmosphere.
    @bondjames from what I heard, Clint is already planning his next film, which is another true story thriller about an humanitarian worker held captive for 90 days by Somalian pirates.
    @DaltonCraig007, this is the image that came to my mind when I read your post.
    2G5n6nH.gif
    @bondjames did you know that line was not in the script, but actually came from a suggestion by the actor himself, Barkhad Abdi? Who at the time was not a professional actor at all ('Captain Phillips' was his 1st ever acting job).
    I didn't know that @DaltonCraig007. One of the most convincingly (and chillingly) delivered lines in recent history.
    I also loved Abdi in Blade Runner 2049 and the very underrated Eye in the Sky.
    DQ8izR3X4AAkEUA.jpg
    Can't wait to check that one out, @DaltonCraig007. Getting a 13 Hours vibe from the trailers.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    @bondjames, the 2013 reboot Lara is a whiny, traumatic, emo teen with mood swings. People call it "Humane", I call it BS. Lara Croft was created as an action heroine with a lot of sex appeal and absolute confidence (although, not to an absurd level as Angelina Jolie's Lara). That's why I'll always protest the latest reboot that took every trope Lara Croft had and turned her into something I don't recognize. Other than the names and some backgrounds, there's no resemblance between the new one and the original.

Yeah. She's damn cool in the early games. I'm halfway through Rise of the Tomb Raider and it just feels different to play as Lara. Somehow I feel stronger than her, whereas in the previous games she felt stronger than me, and was more engaging to play as. I looked up to her more clearly, not unlike with James Bond.
    mattjoes wrote: »

Yeah. She's damn cool in the early games. I'm halfway through Rise of the Tomb Raider and it just feels different to play as Lara. Somehow I feel stronger than her, whereas in the previous games she felt stronger than me, and was more engaging to play as. I looked up to her more clearly, not unlike with James Bond.
    Precisely, @mattjoes. Her strength and superwoman template made you love her, and so was the case with James Bond. You’ve no idea how much I dreamt of a crossover between the two. But then... some retooling shite happened. ;)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    It's funny you should bring up Bond. Let's not forget when discussing the more recent Tomb Raider games, what caused the developers to change the way the games play. Just like Bourne changed Bond, Uncharted changed Tomb Raider.
    Looking forward to the next era. ;)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Looking forward to the next era. ;)

I have enjoyed the original games, and the reboot games, with Legend being my overall favourite.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    @ClarkDevlin I don't want to sound like a grouch about "the old days," but something else I liked about the first Tomb Raider was this sense of near-overwhelming solitude. It's there to a degree in all the games but is most pronounced in the first one. Barely any bad guys, barely anybody else in the game but you, in this vast, silent, empty tomb. And there was no rush to get through a level, no plot-imposed urgency to do anything. It was all about being as methodical as possible when climbing obstacles or evading traps.
    I believe you've reasoned it out all too well when it comes to the gameplay, @mattjoes. Well said, sir.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

So it looks like Non-Stop (but on a train), with maybe a little of Unknown thrown in?
    I was going to say the same thing. Much as I love Liam 'doing his thing', it does appear a bit 'been there done that'.

Still, it's Liam 'doing his thing', and that's enough for a trip to the theatres in January. Vera Farmiga is an added bonus.