Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    jake24 wrote: »
    Why would it be racist to love an African accent?
    Because that's the world we live in, mate.
    I know, but why is that racist? a question as a whole. I'll never understand the gist.
    I don't see how that can be conceivably racist either.

Unless you love to hear "Yes, massa!"
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I'm still trying to get my head around the idiocy of titling something a 'Ronin' remake. I see this a lot lately and there must be a business reason for it. I suppose one explanation is that it's difficult these days to stand out from a marketing perspective from the crowd and so using a name of a well known classic at least results in a level of brand recognition to get butts in seats on opening weekend.

However, if the the film is a PoS it risks ruining the brand image of the film entirely (at least for anyone who has yet to see the original). For that reason alone I'd prefer if they title it something else.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I know, but why is that racist? a question as a whole. I'll never understand the gist.

:))
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'm still trying to get my head around the idiocy of titling something a 'Ronin' remake. I see this a lot lately and there must be a business reason for it. I suppose one explanation is that it's difficult these days to stand out from a marketing perspective from the crowd and so using a name of a well known classic at least results in a level of brand recognition to get butts in seats on opening weekend.

However, if the the film is a PoS it risks ruining the brand image of the film entirely (at least for anyone who has yet to see the original). For that reason alone I'd prefer if they title it something else.

I could see that being why, but for me, it just does the polar opposite most of the time and immediately confirms I won't be paying to see it.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

In terms of lame brand recognition, it doesn't get any dumber than creating a TV series adaptation of 2016's The Nice Guys, only with two women and set in the present day.

13ged0.jpg
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

13ged0.jpg
    Ahh... you'll never know what Millennials think nowadays, will you? ;)
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I could see that being why, but for me, it just does the polar opposite most of the time and immediately confirms I won't be paying to see it.
    Same for me too. It's generally pandering.
    mattjoes wrote: »

In terms of lame brand recognition, it doesn't get any dumber than creating a TV series adaptation of 2016's The Nice Guys, only with two women and set in the present day.
    I didn't know about that. What an absolutely s#!t idea. Presumably it's called The Nice....Gals?

What does the one have to do with the other at all?
  • "Guys" is a gender inclusive term nowadays that could refer to men or women. As in "hey guys, check this out" when speaking to a multi-gendered group.
    "Guys" is a gender inclusive term nowadays that could refer to men or women. As in "hey guys, check this out" when speaking to a multi-gendered group.

It comes from the hebrew goyim, which means cattle or non-jews.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,883
    "Guys" is a gender inclusive term nowadays that could refer to men or women. As in "hey guys, check this out" when speaking to a multi-gendered group.
    Yes, I knew that was the case when speaking casually, but didn't realize that it was something which was being used officially (especially for something like a film title). I still try to make the distinction when discussing a topic involving men and women. I suppose someone will shout me down as being sexist one of these days.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Yes, I knew that was the case when speaking casually, but didn't realize that it was something which was being used officially (especially for something like a film title). I still try to make the distinction when discussing a topic involving men and women. I suppose someone will shout me down as being sexist one of these days.

The woman that wrote the Blade Runner 2049 article is already working on it.

I'll do it to you now if you like. I consider myself vitriol-fluid. I dispense vitriol to anyone and anything for any reason.
    There's a lot of that going around these days it seems. It's infectious. #MeToo.

The woman that wrote the Blade Runner 2049 article is already working on it.
    No doubt. She's on a mission, that one.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2017 Posts: 15,690
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    boldfinger wrote: »
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 @bondjames @MajorDSmythe @DarthDimi @doubleoego @Creasy47 @ClarkDevlin

1st trailer for the R-Rated action/comedy Gringo, featuring Charlize Theron, Joel Edgerton, David Oyelowo and Sharlto Copley:

Coming in cinemas on March 9, 2018.
    I want to see that!
    Is it racist if I say I love Eijiofor´s Afro accent?

No it's not racist. But that's NOT Ejiofor but David Oyelowo.

He's actually playing a Nigerian character, who gets to speak his own native Nigerian language (Yoruba).
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 5,767
    I´m glad my remark is accepted so well and I want to apologize to Oyelowo for being ignorant. I have the greatest respect for both Oyelowo and Ejiofor.
    Surprisingly, both Jessica Chastain and Idris Elba have said they'd be down to star in IT: Chapter Two:

http://www.slashfilm.com/it-chapter-2-casting/
    Surprisingly, both Jessica Chastain and Idris Elba have said they'd be down to star in IT: Chapter Two:

http://www.slashfilm.com/it-chapter-2-casting/
    I'd pay to see these two in anything, and especially IT2. I'll be checking out Molly's Game next week.
    ...did anyone see that Mamma Mia trailer? So Streep is...not in it, because her character died? Wh-what?
    Forgive me, but I´m more interested in Sicario 2 and Gringo :-).
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Forgive me, but I´m more interested in Sicario 2 and Gringo :-).

You and I both, by an extreme longshot.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited December 2017 Posts: 4,444
    ...did anyone see that Mamma Mia trailer? So Streep is...not in it, because her character died? Wh-what?

She told her story of the past. It is prequel and sequel at same time. Of course she wil her part in the present part and possible flasback of first movie. It was fun to see younger version of Brosnan chacter with a bit of Brosnan Goldeneye times.
    M_Balje wrote: »

She told her story of the past. It is prequel and sequel at same time. Of course she wil her part in the present part and possible flasback of first movie. It was fun to see younger version of Brosnan chacter with a bit of Brosnan Goldeneye times.

All these years, my good sir, and this may be the first time you've ever replied to me.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 @bondjames @MajorDSmythe @DarthDimi @doubleoego @Creasy47 @ClarkDevlin

1st poster for the 5th installment of the French action franchise Taxi, from producer Luc Besson (The Transporter and Taken):

33167430.jpg
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Cool!! :D
    It took me about 2min to understand what is meant with "real herdes" :-)).

But seriously, I don´t like this trend of "true stories". It´s lying, because it pretends that invented stories have less to say, while in reality those "true stories" are tweaked anyhow beyond truth for dramatic reasons.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 40,474
    First look at the shark in The Meg:

The-Meg.jpg?w=640
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

1st poster for the 5th installment of the French action franchise Taxi, from producer Luc Besson (The Transporter and Taken):

33167430.jpg

I never got around to seeing the 3rd & 4th films. Something I will have to do now.