Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

• mattjoesmattjoes Lovers' Rosy Stain
    edited December 2017 Posts: 6,776
    Statham'll just kick it in the face.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    mattjoes wrote: »

Before removing his turtleneck to strangle it to death.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    First look at the shark in The Meg:

The-Meg.jpg?w=640
    Well, ain't the cool Motherf***er here?! :D
  • mattjoesmattjoes Lovers' Rosy Stain
    I love Statham. Keeping the tough guy tradition alive and... kicking.
    I love Statham. Keeping the tough guy tradition alive and... kicking.
    Yes sir! That's why I call him Madafaka! :D
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 5,767
    There seems to be a turn to the positive with film posters lately! Love that one above. Never heard about the film, have no idea what it´s supposed to be about, but that poster by itself makes me curious.

Before removing his turtleneck to strangle it to death.
    But after putting on a tilted grin and saying, "Yeah yeah yeah I know what you´re thinking".

• edited December 2017 Posts: 5,767
    http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/911175-new-cleopatra-movie-to-be-lean-mean-political-thriller

Words of David Scarpa, one of the writers of Villeneuve´s planned Cleopatra movie:
    "....With Cleopatra … instead of doing the movie as the prestige picture — the three-hour, lots of pageantry, people with fans and English accents and all that stuff — [we] really treat it as a political thriller. Dirty, bloody, lots of people swearing and having sex and all of that other stuff and just treat it as a two-hour, lean, mean political thriller, full of assassinations, etc. Just going the opposite direction from the way we think that movie is going to go.”

Sounds like he doesn´t have a clue and just throws some catchphrases into the air. "Dirty, bloody, lots of people swearing and having sex and all that other stuff" sounds exactly like a soap opera template and the opposite of a lean, mean thriller.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Sound like GOT was the blue print for that new proposed version of Cleopatra.

A lean mean political thriller sounds intriguing but like you say the description he's given sounds the exact opposite

The-Meg.jpg?w=640

I'm not the biggest fan of Statham but this does sound promising, if they strike the right tone it might be hugely enjoyable. I really enjoyed The Shallows and that was relatively cheaply made but effective nontheless.

You are always fighting a losing battle attempting to make a shark film as you are on a hiding to nothing, no one is going to get close to the godafather of all shark films.

I know it's not that great a film but always had a soft spot for Deep Blue Sea (bought my Wife the Blu ray for Christmas this year). Remember having hoot with it at the cinema and SLJ's big moment was hilarious.

If Meg strikes the same tone as that then I might be persuaded to part with money to see it on the big screen, someone needs to claim the shark genre back from these atrocious Sci-fi channel efforts that seem to be never ending.

I hope but I'm thinking Meg will be another let down but let see shall we.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The Meg will be one of the biggest non-sequel/spin-off films of 2018, with a budget of $150 million.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    boldfinger wrote: »
    http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/911175-new-cleopatra-movie-to-be-lean-mean-political-thriller

Words of David Scarpa, one of the writers of Villeneuve´s planned Cleopatra movie:
    "....With Cleopatra … instead of doing the movie as the prestige picture — the three-hour, lots of pageantry, people with fans and English accents and all that stuff — [we] really treat it as a political thriller. Dirty, bloody, lots of people swearing and having sex and all of that other stuff and just treat it as a two-hour, lean, mean political thriller, full of assassinations, etc. Just going the opposite direction from the way we think that movie is going to go.”

Sounds like he doesn´t have a clue and just throws some catchphrases into the air. "Dirty, bloody, lots of people swearing and having sex and all that other stuff" sounds exactly like a soap opera template and the opposite of a lean, mean thriller.
    So this seems to be moving along then. I thought it was just a pipe dream. Doesn't bode well for Villeneueve for Bond any time soon.
    Shardlake wrote: »

The-Meg.jpg?w=640

I'm not the biggest fan of Statham but this does sound promising, if they strike the right tone it might be hugely enjoyable. I really enjoyed The Shallows and that was relatively cheaply made but effective nontheless.

You are always fighting a losing battle attempting to make a shark film as you are on a hiding to nothing, no one is going to get close to the godafather of all shark films.

I know it's not that great a film but always had a soft spot for Deep Blue Sea (bought my Wife the Blu ray for Christmas this year). Remember having hoot with it at the cinema and SLJ's big moment was hilarious.

If Meg strikes the same tone as that then I might be persuaded to part with money to see it on the big screen, someone needs to claim the shark genre back from these atrocious Sci-fi channel efforts that seem to be never ending.

@Shardlake, I love Deep Blue Sea, I did from the first time on that I watched it at the cinema. I only discovered that on dvd the special effects aged horribly. Do they look any better on br?

boldfinger wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »

The-Meg.jpg?w=640

@Shardlake, I love Deep Blue Sea, I did from the first time on that I watched it at the cinema. I only discovered that on dvd the special effects aged horribly. Do they look any better on br?

I'll let you know after tomorrow, it's still I surprise I hope. We usually end up catching bits of it on TV and then watching it to the end.

I believe it's supposed to a suitable upgrade but as far as the SFX is concerned I'll post once I've seen it, I think it will likely be in the week as I'm sure my Wife will fancy a viewing when she sees she's got it, I'll report back what it looks like then.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 15,692
    Heck yes!! :D
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Next stop, Kick Ass Station.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    edited December 2017 Posts: 2,730
    Am I missing something, why are you guys overly excited for this film
    Liam Neeson with guns and kicking @$$, baby! :D
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    To paraphrase The Rageholic:

"The good news, Neeson elects to take the subtle route. The better news is that Neeson's definition of subtle is to kick the ass of everyone on the train."
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 12,837
    The Meg will be one of the biggest non-sequel/spin-off films of 2018, with a budget of $150 million.

Surprise hit or massive flop? I can genuinely see it going either way. I think the novelty of "giant shark movie with an actual budget" will be enough to get people's attention to be fair.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 15,692
    @thelivingroyale It's also interesting to note that The Meg is, by far, the biggest budget ever given to a Jason Statham flick, outside of the Fast & Furious films and The Expendables trilogy. His 2 biggest films prior to this one are The Italian Job ($60 million budget) and Killer Elite ($70 million budget). Even the most expensive Transporter film (the 3rd one) only had a $40 million budget, which is less than 1/3rd of the money spent on 'The Meg'.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 @bondjames @MajorDSmythe @DarthDimi @doubleoego @ClarkDevlin

Thanks to @Creasy47 for sending me the final trailer for Gerard Butler's latest action flick Den of Thieves:

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'm getting a serious 'Heat' vibe from Den of Thieves. Intense & gritty.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'm getting a serious 'Heat' vibe from Den of Thieves. Intense & gritty.
    Yeah I got that too. My fear is that the characters will be not very rich and screw it, as in so many films.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    First shot of Bumblebee from the Transformers spin-off:

Bumblebee-Pic-700x493.png
    First shot of Bumblebee from the Transformers spin-off:

Bumblebee-Pic-700x493.png

I am getting a FYEO vibe here.
    I see it more as a callback to the Herbie movies.
    I see it more as a callback to the Herbie movies.

I doubt it s anywhere as good as either FYEO or the Herbie movies.