Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Silence trailer!

http://www.traileraddict.com/silence-2017/trailer

Looks incredible!
    Looks outstanding. What amazing choreography! Howard Shore on scoring duties is the icing on the cake. That man is a legend (I've always wanted him on Bond, just on the back of his out of this world LoTR score).
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    BREAKING NEWS: Alien Covenant got moved up to May 19th! Teaser poster below!

Cx-4QQ8UAAAvZSX.jpg

Source: https://twitter.com/20thcenturyfox/status/801561857475493888
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited November 2016 Posts: 8,048
    I'd love to see Neeson do more Irish films in the vein of Michael Collins where he plays a major figure in the history of the land.

Neeson's own personal favourite of his career, if I'm not mistaken. He was a bit old to play Collins at the time, but he still brought the character alive exactly how he was in real life. Wonderful film and brilliant performance.

That's nice to hear, and he did exude Collins' sensibilities, a man capable of making hard tough choices, but also a very charming, playful man. He's one of the greatest contemporary figures in world history, and to just study the role his people had in facing groups like the Black & Tans and how that shook a newly christened Irish republic is crazy to read about. It's also heartbreaking and tragic that the very men he came into a leadership role fighting beside were later the ones he was forced to face in armed conflict. He was put in an amazingly tough position, trying to get Ireland as much freedom as he could to get more later while working with the Brits and being labeled a traitor, or holding off until he could secure all of the land's freedom and risk losing the chance to get any of it; I personally respect his choice.

On my trip there this past spring we just missed our chance to go and visit Collins' grave (though we had the fortune to pay our respects at the graves of all the Uprising revolutionaries), but I will remedy that the next time I am there, as I hope there will be many trips to Ireland in my future, if not a residence. Your land has such a rich history, and is beautiful in its every facet. I've never felt more at home in a place that wasn't my home.

Beautiful. Kind words if ever I heard them. If only most Irish people would appreciate it as much as you do. We're as divided as most countries are, even now. You are welcome, always!
    doubleoego wrote: »
    BREAKING NEWS: Alien Covenant got moved up to May 19th! Teaser poster below!

Cx-4QQ8UAAAvZSX.jpg

Source: https://twitter.com/20thcenturyfox/status/801561857475493888

Love, love, love! I actually grinned like an idiot when I saw it first. Now I'm going to spend the next six months praying that it is good! For me, we haven't had a good Alien film in 25 years. For others it'll be over thirty years since they last liked one.
    Alien Covenant is one of my most anticipated films of next year. Can't wait, and that poster rocks!
    Oooh that Alien Coventant poster is a good one :-)!
    Like the Alien Coventant poster!!! :-bd
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    That poster for 'Alien: Covenant' is perfect and simple enough to me; can't wait for the inevitable trailer so I can really get a feel for what this movie will be like.
  • That is a very cool poster (and I can already see someone photoshopping it to read "In Space No One Can Hear Your Refrigerator Running"), but I just don't know how I feel about Alien: Covenant. Prometheus was an enormous disappointment to me: a bunch of individually cool scenes narratively strung together in the most haphazard of ways with characters occasionally doing unbelievably nonsensical things. And then there were some big white dudes and Guy Pearce in hysterical old man makeup. My reaction was, "Okay, Ridley has officially lost it. My how the mighty have fallen." Furthermore, Covenant is directly responsible for blocking/postponing the seriously cool alternate Aliens sequel that was heading our way. And this is coming from someone who prefers Alien 3 to Aliens! I just can't get excited for this movie. I'll still see it in theaters—no question about that—but I just can't muster an ounce of actual excitement for it. Call me a Dwayne Hicks Downer.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @bondjames @doubleoego @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 @DarthDimi @ClarkDevlin @MajorDSmythe

Sorry to Andrew Garfield, Casey Affleck and other Oscar hopefulls, but it looks like the Oscar is going to Denzel Washington again.

Outstanding @DaltonCraig007. I normally stay away from the 'deep' stuff (I'm as shallow as they come) but boy did Denzel blow me away with this clip. Same with Vioia Davis.

Simply outstanding.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @bondjames if I were a betting man, I'd put some money on Denzel winning Best Actor and Best Director. That trailer is just mind blowing. I think Silence will get Best Picture.
    I agree @DaltonCraig007. At the present time based on the trailers, I think these two are the front runners, and will be duking it out for top honours much like The Revenant and MM-FR did last year.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 15,694
    @bondjames I'll be very happy if Liam Neeson wins for Best Supporting Actor. He doesn't talk in the Silence trailer, but I sense his performance will be phenomenal.
    I'm all for Liam winning something @DaltonCraig007, but it would be a shame if Garfield doesn't win anything. It looks like a breakout year for him, but then again he's a young chap and has plenty of time to show what he's made of.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Denzel is winning. No questions about it!
    edited November 2016 Posts: 15,694
    @bondjames You are right, which is why I also hope Hacksaw Ridge wins some big prizes . Maybe Denzel only gets Best Actor, and good ol' Mel Gibson will get Best Director - I will be glued on the television to hear Mel's speech, it will be very emotional.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    From the Oscar contenders I've seen so far this year, I'll be a little bummed out (not that the Oscars really matter) if Hugo Weaving doesn't get a nom, or at least some sort of mention, for his supporting role in 'Hacksaw Ridge.' It gave me chills throughout.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    @bondjames @doubleoego @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 @DarthDimi @ClarkDevlin @MajorDSmythe

Sorry to Andrew Garfield, Casey Affleck and other Oscar hopefulls, but it looks like the Oscar is going to Denzel Washington again.

The reviews for this so far have given this a tonne of praise. It's looking phenomenal. However, if this does get any nominations it'll only be because the acting and the movie itself are halfwaydecent...according to @Germanlady.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    "Fences" is a powerful play, and it's got the perfect cast to bring it alive. I like that it's shot like a stage play too.
    December 2016 preview:

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Cheers, @DaltonCraig007. Always keeping us informed.
    Fences looks pretty powerful!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited November 2016 Posts: 8,159
    That passengers just seems like Mr and Mrs Smith to me. Just stick two of the most famous people of the time into a genre and hope for the best.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited November 2016 Posts: 10,588
    jake24 wrote: »
    I expected this, because it was rumoured a while back, but it's very sad to hear nonetheless. I thought her character was fantastic, and would have liked to see more of her, Alejandro and Matt working together.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I think Sicario ended in such a way that her character's arc was basically over. She was a great character no doubt, but there's no sense in forcing a character back into a universe that they no longer belong in. 9/10 times such an idea feels forced.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Fair enough. Still, there was enough tension there that they could have found a way to incorporate her back, as long as they showed her 'grow' from the experience and perhaps push forward to become what she resisted in the original film (perhaps due to circumstance rather than wish). That's been done with protagonists before.
    Nonetheless, I can hardly wait for "Soldado". Is there a set date on it yet?
    Not sure. No Villeneuve on this one either.
    Clearing his schedule for Bond, no doubt.