FANTASTILICIOUS FUN FOR FILM FANS 089: your top 10's of 2020 and most anticipated films of 2021?

Comments

I find that the re-watch-ability of the QT movies is low, once you have seen the tricks used in the movie, you are left with sometimes great dialogue. But on re-watching they often do not stand up either.
    QT's greatest fans are perhaps geeks like him, but I find his movies full of parts from movies that are better than his.
    Find PF easily his best movie.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited October 2014 Posts: 23,610
    Interesting comments, everyone!

<center><font color=#E9AB17 size=6><b>029</b>
    How do you feel about Nicholas Cage as an actor?</font>

Well these days he dosen't exactly make the best movies. He's my least favourite actor and for good reason. I think that he is overacting way too much. I also feel that he accept every movie offer he gets hence all the bad movies.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I'm a big Nic Cage fan! Sure he doesn't make the best movies but to me he is a pretty awesome guy to watch!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I don't mind him. He's another actor that has movies I enjoy to watch.
    Well these days he dosen't exactly make the best movies. He's my least favourite actor and for good reason. I think that he is overacting way too much. I also feel that he accept every movie offer he gets hence all the bad movies.

You obviously haven't seen "Joe" (2013). A wonderful performance in a small-budget drama. It reminded me slightly of recent modern "western turned fairy-tales", like "Winter's Bone" (Jennifer Lawrence) and "Mud" (Matthew McConaughey). Usually set in the deep south of the USA, where still a lot of poverty can be found. And in the role of Joe....Mr Cage reminds me slightly of his Oscar-winning role in "Leaving Las Vegas".
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I think he is great in many a film, but his acting can become a little too "cliche" sometimes.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    He is hysterical! He gives some of the most insane performances in Deadfall, vampires kiss, bad lieutenant, and wicker man. How'd it get burned!!!!!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Raising Arizona- his tour de force.
    Gotta love a bit of the Cage. I think there is a good actor in him (Leaving Las Vegas) but he likes going over-the-top, particularly in the fluff action movies.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 6,844
    I actually haven't seen that many Nic Cage movies. I dig him in The Rock though. He played a good, easily frustrated, somewhat neurotic accidental hero. "Carla was the prom queen..."

I'll withhold judgment until I see him in Adaptation., which I've been meaning to get around to for forever it seems.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited October 2014 Posts: 12,459
    I feel so ... nothing ... just meh about him that it took me this long to open the thread.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I liked Nic in Face/Off, Con Air, Gone in Sixty Seconds, National Treasure and Kickass, but most of the other films I've seen him in are pretty average. Maybe I need to watch his more obscure, experimental films to have a worthy opinion. My good friend loathes him as an actor, but speaks highly of Matchstick Men, which I must get around to watching one of these days.
    I feel so ... nothing ... just meh about him
    18-crazy-moments-in-the-life-and-career-of-nicolas-cage.jpg
    I won't lose sleep over it. ;)

I loved Moonstruck, so I liked him in that. And he was very good indeed, in Leaving Las Vegas (Elisabeth Shue was great!). That is probably, for my money, his best performance. But I have not seen many of his other films, so cannot say for sure.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    He need a big movie. National Treasure 3. Time to get
    Sean Bean
    out of jail.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    He may have been overshadowed by the greatness that is Sean Connery, but he did great in The Rock.
    Matchstick Men is excellent. His best role is probably as Sailor in Wild At Heart, though.
  • He's a member of the great triad of completely unique voices & mannerisms. He, Jimmy Stewart, and Tommy Wiseau sound like no one else on planet Earth. Jimmy Stewart is a great actor, Cage is a good actor, and Tommy Wiseau is an awful actor.
    Those who say Nic Cage is an outright bad actor should cut him some FRICKIN' SLACK!!
  • Nic Cage is one of my favourite actors, even his bad films I find him always good value. The knowing I find is underated, he is fully involved in that movie Cage is no Willis and he goes for it. Even The Wicker man I find hilarious because of Cage, its a terrible film though his performance is totally bonkers. Love the guy! Total legend.
    <center><font color=#E9AB17 size=6><b>030</b>
    Rank your five favourite WWII films.</font>
    5 - Valkyrie

4 - A Bridge Too Far

3 - The Great Escape

2 - Saving Private Ryan

1 - The Longest Day

Honourable mentions go to Schindler's List (which I do not watch often because it's such a painful movie to watch), U-571, The Battle Of The Bulge and Das Boot.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited November 2014 Posts: 17,694
    The Big Red One
    Kelly’s Heroes
    A Bridge Too Far
    The Great Escape
    Force 10 From Navarone

Just faves, not bests.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,399
    (deleted)
    1. Saving Private Ryan
    Inglorious Basterds.

Not seen so many good WW2 films to be honest. Fav WW1 film would be Paths of Glory.
    Fav WW1 film would be Paths of Glory.

One of Kubrick's finest movies, indeed, @Thunderfinger!

Some of the recent ones mentioned I have not seen. Just going by ones I have seen..
    Not really ranking these (though bolded are perhaps the strongest), or in any chronological order; just favorites off the top of my head (comedies included). This is not a complete list really. Anyway, a genuine top 7 or so would be very hard for me to decide:

Patton (great film)
    Letters from Iwo Jima (Ken Watanabe is superb; one of my fav Eastwood films)
    The Best Years of Our Lives
    Casablanca
    Since You Went Away
    The Bridge on the River Kwai
    Two Women (Sophia's oscar winner)
    Flying Tigers
    Das Boot
    Sands of Iwo Jima
    Stalag 17
    Mister Roberts
    Ensign Pulver
    The Great Escape
    Father Goose
    The Dirty Dozen
    From Here to Eternity
    Thanks guys for reminding me that I have indeed watched more than one WW2 film!

Das Boot (I find the tv version even better)
    Valkyrie (masterful thriller, including Blofeld-lair-like interior of the Wolfsschanze)
    The Great Escape (don´t like the downer ending, but the rest is fantastic, and the score is one of the best film scores ever recorded)
    Saving Private Ryan
    Enemy at the Gates
    Inglorious Basterds
    Saving private ryan
    Casablanca
    The great escape
    Stalag 17
    From here to eternity
    Patton