FANTASTILICIOUS FUN FOR FILM FANS 089: your top 10's of 2020 and most anticipated films of 2021?

Comments

If I look at my dvd/br shelf, I seem to value the newer films more. But there are lots of great old films. Nosferatu comes to mind, or The third Man, or M, or early John Wayne stuff, or Witness for the Prosecution, or Spencer Tracy and Kathreen Hepburn films.
    Oh YES!

I've also found that watching old movies enhances my experience of new movies. And listening to old music enhances my experience of new music. It's like I've become a movie fan and a music fan in a whole new way in recent years, and I'm really enjoying it.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I tend to watch a lot of "old" movies.

A) As a student of film

How did it all begin? Which films proved seminal in pushing the art to a higher level? What were the first 'talkies' like? How did film techniques evolve? What's this or that classic that everybody talks about? I love watching movies and I love learning about movies, about the history of filmmaking, the craft of filmmaking and the business of filmmaking. To explore the past is to understand the present.

B) As someone who simply loves the charm of old movies

From the works of Méliès, Murnau, Lang and Wiene, to the Universal Monster flicks of the 30s and 40s, to the early Hitchcocks and the great 'film noir' adventures, and including such majestic films as Gone With The Wind and Citizen Kane, many old films are actually very good. And not just in a 'cute way' but on many serious levels. I tend to watch older movies for pleasure at least as often as I watch them out of pure 'movie scientific' interest.
    I like the way old movies could be suggestive and use sexual ineudo to some interesting effect. Some of my favorites:
    Groucho Marx saying about Harpo in Night at the Opera: "He has better luck in his sleep than I do awake".
    As cops go thru Nora's dresser in The Thin Man, she asks: "Whats that man doing in my drawers?" At which Nick nearly chokes on his drink.
  • I think for my age, I watch a lot of '(really) old movies'. 'Cause 1. they look better 2. they've got more original scripts (I'm not trying to sound snotty there, but I think compared to contemporary films, there used to be a lot more originality) 3. appreciation of innovation in film (for example camera angles, use of light, etc.).

But it mostly has to do with the fact that I don't really like movies these days because of digital cameras (which to me, makes shots unnecessarily sharper and it's just not kind on human skin), everything goes way too fast, dialogues lack wit, etc. It's been years since I've been really excited for the Oscars. There's so many mediocre films, performances, etc. being nominated. There should be so much good material out there that it makes people feel like there aren't enough nomination slots... or at least have people on the edge of their seats because any of the nominations could win.
    <center><font color=#E9AB17 size=6><b>033</b>
    How do you feel about the Fast & Furious series?</font>

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,399
    HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THE FAST & FURIOUS SERIES?

I really like them... the greatest misconception about the franchise is that "oh, it's just dumb car movies".. while on the surface that is true, they've always been more about crime / heists.... the original was pretty much Point Break but with street racing instead of surfing.. one thing i didn't expect was that the quality of the films keeps getting better with each new installment - though i think the 6th film was a step back from Fast Five, and the climax pushed the bar way beyond the believability factor... granted, the series hasn't really been predicated on reality anything - but i appreciate car stunts that are done practically - and as outlandish as the action has gotten, for the most part, it's all done practically with CGI only being used to enhance shots... but from the tank part and on at the end of the 6th movie, they really set the bar high for laughable physics.... but whatever, they're popcorn action movies... i highly anticipate the 7th film, and i look forward to more....... as i said before, the longevity of the franchise has really astonished me... i really thought the series had burnt itself out by Tokyo Drift - but they keep going, and it's at a point now where they've built a mythos unto itself.. it's a franchise that can literally go on forever - and i'd have no problem with that.
    Really like them. I think 1,5,6 are the best ones. Tokyo drift is decent and the fourth one is ok. And i really don't care about the second one.
  • Never seen any of them. Not necessarily by choice, just turned out that way. For me, F&F is a whopping marathon waiting to happen one day.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Really enjoy 1,4 and 5. The others I can take or leave. The sixth one was especially disappointing considering how good the setup was during the first hour or so. It even had some pretty good performances, but just fell apart towards the end.

Decent franchise. Great stunts, for the most part. Fast Five is the series' peak.
    I agree Fast Five is easily the best one
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    i also agree Fast Five has been the peak of the series thus far...

i personally really like the 4th film... but there is one thing they did in a later installment, that i think really hurts the 4th film...
    ....i really wish they didn't puss out and bring Letty back to life (because of the fan outcry).. because doing so completely destroys the plot of the 4th movie, and it cheapens the experience for later viewings IMO.

had to put that in a spoiler tag for anyone who hasn't seen the films yet..
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    It's gotten too Slow & Boring now. I'm just sick of them. 1 was good, 2 wasn't that good but it wasn't horrible, 3 was horrible, 4 was good, 5 was decent, 6 was boring.
    1 was a neat little action/stunt vehicle. Some amazing stunts, but otherwise at best mediocre.

2 was a joke.

3 was an abomination.

4 wasn´t bad but had too many fake-looking action scenes.

5 had such good action scenes that I easily tolerated the lame characters and story.

6 was like 5 but a little bigger. You just gotta appreciate that endless runway ;-).

7 has me very much looking forward to it again. Again, not keen on character and story, but the action in the trailer already looks good enough to lure me in.
    When TF&TF was released many years ago, I didn't feel part of its target demographic. Underground street racing, R&B music and this 'new guy' Vin Diesel? Nah, not my style. Yet I ended up watching the film on DVD as it came in an 'action films' box that I got for a birthday. I enjoyed it very much! I also watched the second and third film on DVD, liking them just enough to keep me going. By the time they got to part 4, I was only jazzed because they brought back the original cast and ... you know, I'm a sucker for continuity and such so I watched it and I liked it.

Part 5 is the first one I watched in theatres and GOOD LORD was I impressed! A fantastic action flick and a cool heist film in one! So naturally I couldn't wait for Fast 6. It was even bigger, not necessarily better, and what they did with Letty... I dunno, not everything worked I guess. But by the end of the movie, adrenaline levels had climbed sky high again and making a fist, I shouted YEAH!

Yesterday I saw the trailer for Fast 7... and boy, am I excited!
    Cars with parachutes !!!!! =)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Really like them. I think 1,5,6 are the best ones. Tokyo drift is decent and the fourth one is ok. And i really don't care about the second one.

This, for me.

The first one was very enjoyable.
    '2 Fast 2 Furious' is alright but way too cheesy at parts.
    I don't like 'Tokyo Drift' or the fourth film at all. Too much horrid CGI.
    'Fast Five' really kicked it up for me: great stunts, some nice casting additions, and shifting the story from car racing to really great heists was a wonderful idea to me.
    'Fast Six' (or whatever title they went with, as the studios had a different title than the director) was somehow better to me than the fifth one was, which I loved. It had a few plot holes that irked me, but the entire film was so exciting to me.

Sadly, I'm not looking forward to the next one, as I can tell that it'll have a ton of really spotty CGI that's just going to take me right out of the experience, much like the fourth one did.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I watched the first one when it came out on DVD. I haven't seen any of the sequels. That whole modding scene never appealed to me. When is comes to car races/chaces, I would rather watch one of the following:

http://www.listal.com/list/my-favourite-car-chases
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I watched the first one when it came out on DVD. I haven't seen any of the sequels. That whole modding scene never appealed to me. When is comes to car races/chaces, I would rather watch one of the following:

http://www.listal.com/list/my-favourite-car-chases

Props for having 'Ronin' on there. That film blew me away with the car chases.

However, no love for 'Bullitt' at all?
    @MajorDSmythe

Bullitt is a timeless classic. Here are five reasons:

1) Jacqueline Bisset
    2) Steve McQueen
    3) Jacqueline Bisset
    4) Jacqueline Bisset
    5) Jacqueline Bisset
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @MajorDSmythe

Bullitt is a timeless classic. Here are five reasons:

1) Jacqueline Bisset
    2) Steve McQueen
    3) Jacqueline Bisset
    4) Jacqueline Bisset
    5) Jacqueline Bisset

Points #'s 1, 3 4, 5 I agree on. :D Otherwise i'm not a fan of McQueen, and I think the film is a bit over praised.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I have only seen one - Tokyo Drift - and I thought it was hammy, just okay, a little bit of fun. The kind of film it seems to be holds little interest for me, even though I love a good caper/heist film and car chases. I don't plan on seeing any others. And for the most part, I really do not like Vin Diesel. I do like Paul Walker, rest his soul. If I do see any others in the series by accident, I'll report in again. :)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I have only seen one - Tokyo Drift - and I thought it was hammy, just okay, a little bit of fun. The kind of film it seems to be holds little interest for me, even though I love a good caper/heist film and car chases. I don't plan on seeing any others. And for the most part, I really do not like Vin Diesel. I do like Paul Walker, rest his soul. If I do see any others in the series by accident, I'll report in again. :)

I'd highly recommend the 5th entry to you @4EverBonded. Forges the heist elements with great action scenes very well. And most importantly, a great deal of it was done practically.
    Who is in it, the main actors? I'll see if I can get it here.

I'd highly recommend the 5th entry to you @4EverBonded. Forges the heist elements with great action scenes very well. And most importantly, a great deal of it was done practically.
    Yes, @4EverBonded, watch the 5th one. The 3rd one has not one of the elements that make the series worthwhile.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I feel...nothing.
    In your Renard mode again, @thunderfinger? ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    In your Renard mode again, @thunderfinger? ;)

Yes, the bullets from the mods are digging deeper and deeper into my brain. It is better that way.
    edited November 2014 Posts: 23,635
    <center><font color=#E9AB17 size=6><b>034
    </b>Name your favourite kid actors/actresses from the present or the past.</font>
    2 - Drew Barrymore (E.T., Cat's Eye)

5676016_std.jpg

She was so cute in E.T. Great performance!

1 - Chloe Moretz

SNF30SPDF1-280_1014819a.jpg

As Hit Girl she blew my mind. What a performance! Chloe is working her way to the top now and I'm never not impressed. Such a talented girl!