FANTASTILICIOUS FUN FOR FILM FANS 089: your top 10's of 2020 and most anticipated films of 2021?

Comments

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited October 2014 Posts: 5,080
    Not too familiar with Japanese animation films, but Spirited Away was a wonderful film!
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,399
    (deleted)
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 5,767
    Too big a field to comment on exhaustively.
    But I love both Ghost in the Shell films, and Akira. The back-and-forth influence from Blade Runner to Akira and GitS and back to James Cameron is interesting.
    Miyazaki had some nice films, Princess Mononoke, Naosica.
    I think there are some brilliant works that time and again manage to take me into the strangest worlds. And there´s a lot of trash also.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I should comment now, but I cannot with any authority regarding animated films here. I have not seen any (hard to believe, I know) ... but the one I really want to see is Spirited Away. I've heard it is great.

However, I do hear that Japanese animation is world class and incredibly popular. I shall try to watch a couple of the animated films sometime during the next few months and I'll update you then.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I started with Gigantor & 8th Man, and have loved it ever since. Nausica Of The Valley Of The Wind is my favourite movie & Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood is my favourite series.
    How I feel?
    The same way I feel about Antartica.
    I know its there but I don't give a shytt.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I'm an anime fan. Nuff said.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I love Cowboy Bebop, but that's about it.
    edited October 2014 Posts: 17,694
    Murdock wrote: »
    I love Cowboy Bebop, but that's about it.

Bebop is great no doubt, but boy, if you don't at least LOOK at Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood I will beat on your ass. :P
    Seriously though Wes, try it. It's long, but truly excellent IMHO. :)>-
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I stopped caring about Fullmetal Alchemist when I found out the suit of armor was a kid's soul in a suit of armor and not an awesome looking robot with a poorly chosen voice.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    @chrisisall, I'll take it under advisement. ;)
    Murdock wrote: »
    @chrisisall, I'll take it under advisement. ;)

=D>
  • I'm a fan. I don't think I've plumbed the depths enough to have found much of the lesser quality stuff, though. Most of what I've seen has been excellent: intelligent, thoughtful, real works of art.

Among my favorites are Ghost in the Shell, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Akira, Cowboy Bebop, and Grave of the Fireflies.

Other excellent anime films I've seen and would recommend are Paprika, Perfect Blue, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars, and Memories.

Of course Miyazaki's films are wonderful as well. I particularly like Princess Mononoke and Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Always wanted to see GHOST IN THE SHELL, read only good things about it.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 5,767
    Always wanted to see GHOST IN THE SHELL, read only good things about it.
    Well, what are you waiting for, @Thunderfinger? It´s one of the best cyborg movies ever made.
    And if you think you understood the explanations toward the end fully, try the second one ;-). It´s even more eye-candy-ish.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited October 2014 Posts: 23,606
    <center><font color=#E9AB17 size=6><b>028</b>
    Is Pulp Fiction Tarantino's best movie in your opinion?</font>
    Maybe. I'd put Kill Bill 2 up there also.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    In my opinion, yes it is. But it's a generational thing I guess. I was 12 when PF got released but I didn't see it until I was 15. I had heard a lot about it and I wasn't disappointed when I first saw it. The second time I saw the film, I knew I loved it. Along with Trainspotting, I consider PF one of THE films of my generation, teenagers of the nineties. Even then, I know of younger people than me who have by now discovered and embraced PF too.

I immediately set out to watch other QT stuff. Reservoir Dogs is good too, but I love PF slightly more. Jackie Brown was a bit of a let-down for me, though not as much as it clearly was for other people. Kill bill was pretty good; still not as good as PF IMO. Same for his later films, like Death Proof and Inglourious Bastards and Django Unchained. Great movies, especially IB, but none quite as good as PF, at least in my book.

Look, PF was fresh and new. It had a fantastic narrative structure but what made it truly unique was that even in its lengthy dialogues it never got boring. True, the same quality can be found in RD as well, but I think the dialogues in PF are stronger still. And how about that wonderful cast, with half its members playing against type! How about that great collection of songs that constitute its soundtrack. Tarantino accomplished something truly amazing with almost no money; PF leaves a lasting impression and is even today, over two decades later, still celebrated as one of the more inventive and unusual films of the modern times.
    PF was Tarantino's 2001 IMO.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 3,336
    I rank the Tarantino movies i've seen like this

1. Pulp Fiction
    2. Django Unchained

3. Kill Bill Vol. 1

4. Inglorious Basterds
    5. Death Proof
    6. Kill Bill Vol. 2
    7. Reservoir Dogs
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Yes Yes and Yes! Pulp Fiction is such an innovative game changer in film. So many imitators followed. Never had a movie had such real and authentic dialogue in it. You ended up not caring about the plot and just interested in where the characters would head next. I adore this movie and while Tarantino has a great filmography, none match PF for me.
    Maybe. I'd put Kill Bill 2 up there also.

I would rank Kill Bill 2 over kill Bill 1 but back to the task at hand: yes, I guess PF is Tarantino's masterpiece.
    Pulp Fiction is Tarantino´s best film for two reasons:
    It utilises best his strongest asset: making cool film scenes with cool dialogue.
    It avoids Tarntino´s weakest asset: the telling of a soulful story from start to finish.
    I'm honestly not a huge Tarantino fan. Pulp Fiction or Kill Bill 2, either is fine with me for this list. However, I have not seen Django Unchained yet and I really do want to see it. Maybe someone would have that first?
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 372
    The only films I´ve ever seen of his are Pulp Fiction, which was great fun, and both the Kill Bill volumes and I was so incredibly disappointed. The first one was style over substance and the second one bored me to death. But yeah I love PF for the reasons other people have stated in this topic.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I also feel that it's his best film. It was just so innovative for it's time. Also, sometimes QT films can drag on a bit but everything that happens in PF is so interesting that it truly never gets boring. All the actors are great too, with Sam Jackson giving us possibly the best performance of his career.
    Reservoir Dogs for me, pure and simple! :-bd
    Alongside Reservoir Dogs, yes, Pulp Fiction is his best.
    No I don't believe so. Although I still love it, his best work is Django and Inglorious Bastards for me.

On QT himself: I'm in film school and his name is tossed around a lot here. I've never enjoyed somebody's work so much but at the same time, considered them a really horrible/cocky person. Just my opinion though.
  • Yes, given the cast, the performances, the perfect selection of music, the sprawling yet interwoven nature of the narrative, the humor, the surprises, the quality of the dialogue, the sheer originality, the way everything just works so well together. It's not a movie I watch all the time—in fact, I haven't sat down and watched Pulp Fiction in years—but yes, it remains Tarantino's best film to date.

Reservoir Dogs battles a close second for me. Despite blatantly ripping off City on Fire, the raw power of the performances and the now iconic way Tarantino worked music in the film make it a strong contender.

On a more personal note, Kill Bill, Vol. 1 may in fact be my favorite Tarantino film to watch. It's the definition of style over substance, but my, what style it has! Kill Bill, Vol. 1 was one of those rare theater-going experiences where I felt like I was experiencing something truly new, truly exciting, and truly original: the brutality and artistry of the fight sequences, the vibrancy of the soundtrack, the colorfulness of the picture, the way the film suddenly turns anime for O-Ren Ishii's backstory, that cliffhanger. Vol. 1 really had it all. Well, except substance.