FANTASTILICIOUS FUN FOR FILM FANS 089: your top 10's of 2020 and most anticipated films of 2021?

Comments

• Batman Begins (co-written by one of my favorite composers, James Newton Howard). The action stuff is good, but I especially love the more emotional cues: Macrotus, Corynorhinus, Lasiurus.

Nice choice there with M:I-2, by the way. A very underrated Hans Zimmer score with a lot of variety: flamenco music, smooth guitar music, techno-driven action music, lovely vocals by Lisa Gerrard, epic Carmina Burana-esque music, and exciting rock-driven variations on the M:I theme. It's one of my favorites by Zimmer as well.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Black Rain. (1989) Great score. Lush Asian sounds and great orchestrations.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Excellent choice, @Murdock, for both the film and the music!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I may be alone in this, but Broken Arrow has a fantastic score IMHO, it really makes the movie.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 7,653
    Gladiator mostly due to the efforts of Lisa Gerrard, what she added was worldclass.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited October 2014 Posts: 12,459
    DarthDimi, you are hilarious! I hate typos!!! But at least that one turned out funny (I edited it now, mind you). :D

I do not know all of Zimmer's work, but I'm going with one I like a lot, the iconic and at the time really perfect: Miami Vice theme (tv show).
    I'm going with one I like a lot, the iconic and at the time really perfect: Miami Vice theme (tv show).
    (pssst, 4Ev, that was Jan Hammer...)
    Seriously?! I have always thought it the same composer. Since forever. Thanks for letting me know. :)

In that case, I did enjoy Gladiator's soundtrack.
    I must admit that The Last Samurai is IMO a great Zimmer score, as is Beyond Rangoon. Notice the similarity? Well, my preferred score has Asian flavours too and it's @Murdock's choice too: Black Rain. In those days, Zimmer's music wasn't as pretentious and overzealous as it often is now IMO. ;-)
    Or so ... repetitive.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Broken Arrow.

For me, it encapsulates everything good about Zimmer. Funky, action packed, with catchy motifs and that iconic guitar flick. Brilliant.
    [img][/img]418242.jpg
    @CraigMooreOHMSS, the problem is that they used the lead motif of the music in the Scream series too. Since I watched those films with higher frequency than BA, I now associate that piece of music more with them. I know I shouldn't. ;-)
    What, I go away for the weekend and you bring on Zimmer?!? Sir, you wear your balls with style!

I´d say Black Rain.
    Thelma and Luise I think was also pretty good.
    Was the score for The Rock by Zimmer, or already by his bunch? Anyway, it was cool at the time.
    Not sure if I remember the Broken Arrow score, but I remember that film being a guilty pleasure of mine, and the music usually has to do with that.
    Inception. Of his newer scores, it has the least percentage of unnecessary and irritating filler noise.
    @boldfinger, your description of my proud parts is spot-on, sir. ;-)

Yes! Inception is a fine score too. The Rock was Zimmer and Nick Glennie-Smith. Catchy theme though.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Gladiator mostly due to the efforts of Lisa Gerrard, what she added was worldclass.

Yes. You can not go wrong with Zimmer and Gerard combined.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The Rock.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 5,767
    I wasn´t aware this community had such powerful sight: Just last week we were talking David Lynch, now I read there´s going to be a third Twin Peaks season, to be written by the original team Lynch/Frost, and to be directed by Lynch. Not a re-boot, but set 25 years after the events of the first two seasons:
    http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/
    Yeah, I'm in touch with the stars. I can predict the future. ;-)
    Incidentally, I'm intrigued. I like Twin Peaks but then what is to be expected from a new series a quarter of a century later? Then again, Lynch is about as unpredictable as they come so one can never predict anything with him around anyway. ;-)
    I have to say that MI:II sticks in my head... maybe even more than Broken Arrow.
    <center><font color=#E9AB17 size=6><b>024</b>
    Which movie car would you like to own for aesthetic reasons?</font></center>
    I've always been very fond of the 1989 Batmobile.

batmobile1.jpg
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Bonds Aston V8 Vantage Oscar India from TLD they are a bit of a tank to drive but I've never driven another supercar that I feel so at home in they are the ultimate high speed stately home.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2014 Posts: 13,894
    Between the '89/'92 Batmobile and Bond's V8 Vangtage, I have no other suggestion. Both are welcome to park themselves outside my house. :D
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The GF Aston Martin for me.
  • Jaguar E type or any car from the 1920s

love it
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The only logical choice for practically any reason. ;)
    08137de3-c917-4c5a-b62f-c2cecb615442.jpg
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Delorean. You know which one.
    edited October 2014 Posts: 12,459
    Steve McQueen's Mustang from Bullitt.
    bullitt-mustang-steve-mcqueen.jpg

Or an Aston Martin like the one in Goldfinger. Either would be lovely, thanks. :)
    Murdock wrote: »
    The only logical choice for practically any reason. ;)
    08137de3-c917-4c5a-b62f-c2cecb615442.jpg
    I sat in one once. REALLY comfortable. But the gracious owner told me it was difficult to park, and leaked from the roof in heavy rain.
    I'll take the AM from TLD (winter-ized version)!