FANTASTILICIOUS FUN FOR FILM FANS 089: your top 10's of 2020 and most anticipated films of 2021?

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Everything in space and in the Emperor's throne room was awesome. Everything on Tatooine and Endor was... Meh.

I agree. But not as meh as all of the prequels hence has to be 3rd. 10 minutes at the end of ROTS is not enough to elevate it above Jedi and the other two aren't even worth debating.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Everything in space and in the Emperor's throne room was awesome. Everything on Tatooine and Endor was... Meh.

I agree. But not as meh as all of the prequels hence has to be 3rd. 10 minutes at the end of ROTS is not enough to elevate it above Jedi and the other two aren't even worth debating.
    You said it.

1. Empire
    2. A New Hope
    3. Revenge of the Sith
    4. Return of the Jedi
    5. The Phantom Menace
    6. Attach of the Clones

Clones just edges out Phantom for the worst spot because of the awful love dialogue. At least Phantom has the amazing Darth Maul duel
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Phantom Menace has a couple of things that thrill the hell out of me. The Boonta Eve Pod Race, the climactic lightsaber fights, the space battle over the federation ship... If only we could subtract the Gungans from the whole thing, Lucas might have gotten away with it. I guess the need to sell toys dominated. ;-)

Clones did a few things right in that respect. It shovelled Jar-Jar away AND gave us an awesome Yoda versus Dooku fight. Yes, I know, this battle has few fans, but I for one dig it.

Sith, IMO, is a far better film overall; it's one of the good ones in fact. I love Palpatine's dark planning, many of the images, the music, ... The Jedicide montage and Anakin's impressive entering of the Jedi academy with the young ones, are some of the strongest moments in the entire series IMO. The ending of the film; during which we get so many callbacks to the original trilogy, is just one big geek party for me. To phrase it differently, I'm in Star Wars fan heaven.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Clones did the one thing everyone should respect: The downfall of the Republic was Jar-Jar's fault.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 5,767
    Not such a huge BMW fan, but some of their concept cars are cool:
    Velho-BMW-Concept.jpg

Oh, I think that´s not from any film, excuse me! But isn´t it cool?

Episode V
    VI (except the teddy bears)
    IV
    III
    II
    I

Not familiar with any of the animated ones.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,399
    (deleted)
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    1) The Empire Strikes Back - My favorite film of all time.

(Slight Drop)

2) Return Of The Jedi- Not a popular choice for sure but I still love Jedi despite it's flaws. Nostalgia does play a part in my decision as this is one of my earliest memories in the cinema. However, I do feel that it's being underrated these days. It's definitely better than any of the Prequels.

3) Star Wars - It's one of the most important films ever made and if I were going by that criteria alone than I'd have to rank this as number one. As it is I have to put it here because it feels a little awkward and cheap at times compared to the other two. It's still great though.

(Big Drop)

4) Revenge Of The Sith - It still has a lot of problems but it's unquestionably the best of the Prequels.

(Slight Drop)

5) Attack Of The Clones - I guess. At least this time my guard was up.

6) The Phantom Menace - Where as with this one it was soul crushingly disappointing.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    @haserot, Sorry, but midichlorians were mentioned in ROTS, by Palpatine in that weird opera scene. Although, to be honest, midichlorians themselves aren't explained. No mention of how they exist or what makes them choose certain people to make Force sensitive. They're pretty much just an easier way to figure out who can use the Force without having to wait until they magically move something.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 6,432
    1. The Empire Strikes Back.
    2. A New title... Meant a new hope.
    3. Return of the Jedi.
    4. Revenge of the Sith.
    5. Attack of the Clones.

6. And then a level of crapness from a film studio far far away in a land that good film making forgot... The Phantom Menace. Because GL had to crap somewhere.

<center><font color=#E9AB17 size=6><b>026</b>
    Are you a film completist?</font></center>
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    <center><font color=#E9AB17 size=6><b>026</b>
    Are you a film completist?</font></center>

Would you care to give definition how to play this?

@SaintMark, what I mean is, when you watch a part I in a series, will you inevitably also pursue the other 12 sequels, even if you don't necessarily like them? Will you watch everything a certain actor or actress you like has ever played in? Will you buy every DVD, novelization, soundtrack, comic book spin-off, ... of a certain film? ...

As you can see, we can take this in all directions. ;-) You choose. :-)
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    (deleted)
    If the first film disappoints me I tend to ignore the rest of the series.

If I happen to see a movie from a series I like, I tend to seek out the other installments.

With the Star Trek Franchise I gave up after First Contact simply because the series should have stopped after ST VI. ;)

If I really like a series I tend to buy it: On the road (Crosby & Hope), The Thin man series, Star Wars, the Bourne quartet (NR. 5 would be Chamberlain/smith vehicle), TV series like West Wing, Firefly, Star Trek original series, X-files, Miami Vice, Tropical heat.

If I am really enchanted I do like to watch it all.

But I still have not seen the latest Die Hard even if I really enjoy the four previous installments.

(deleted)
    See a few posts above, @haserot, the one I sent SaintMark. ;-)
    Earlier in the year revisted the first Resident Evil film then felt compelled to purchase the other four movies at a very cheap price.

I often watch a series till it runs out of steam, Freddy and Jason films for example. On the other hand gave up on Saw after part 3. Series like Terminator, Rambo and Rocky I will always watch the new film despite differing quality.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Yes I am. :D
    ha ha love your profile picture @murdock . Sha Ka Ree ;-)
    ha ha love your profile picture @murdock . Sha Ka Ree ;-)

Thanksh. ;)

No worries, as you prob know the planet Sha Ka Ree was named after Sean as he was set to play Cybok in Final Frontier. If i remember correctly it was throat cancer that stopped him taking the role.
    No worries, as you prob know the planet Sha Ka Ree was named after Sean as he was set to play Cybok in Final Frontier. If i remember correctly it was throat cancer that stopped him taking the role.

Yes I'm aware of that little tidbit. It's mostly why I made the avatar. Though he was working on Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade which is why he couldn't play Sybok.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 6,432
    Sorry double post, mobile phone seems to do that often gr!
    Loved to have seen Bill play opposite Sean :-) On topic, Star Trek as well as Star Wars are films i will always watch in a series.
    With films I can be a bit of a completist. Though I am able to throw out the Brosnan Bond discs when I see they just don´t fit in between Dalton and Craig. And I think I fast-forwarded a bit when I watched Res Evil 2.
    Disappointments undermine completist ambitions, e.g. several Die Hard sequels. Terminator hasn´t yet been bad enough to stop me from going to see the next one.

Otherwise, no, I guess not. Some directors I am curious enough about to go see all their movies. Spielberg, Scorsese, Tarantino, Mann. But I wouldn´t think of having all their films at home.

With actors and other participants I´m even less of a completist, because they tend to do all kinds of things, and I am only interested in some of those things.

(deleted)
    It truly does depend on loyalty to the series.
    I like to be but it's hard to find a series that I really enagage with.
    Plus these days there are a lot of comic book movies and trying to follow tie ins is hard.
    So I would really really like to but no.

<center><font color=#E9AB17 size=6><b>027</b>
    How do you feel about Japanese animation?</font></center>