Things you're tired of seeing in movies.

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    While there are movies that exist without traitors, I feel like most films I see now it's always a matter of who is the traitor and who can I trust?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    00Beast wrote:
    Sheesh, a little black-and-white with the plot would be nice!

Ebony & Ivory?
    Creasy47 wrote:
    While there are movies that exist without traitors, I feel like most films I see now it's always a matter of who is the traitor and who can I trust?

Precisely- the entire time I was watching this new Captain America I was wishing I could go throw on a Bond movie where I know exactly who the villains are and can easily follow the plot without it being a headache!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    00Beast wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Precisely- the entire time I was watching this new Captain America I was wishing I could go throw on a Bond movie where I know exactly who the villains are and can easily follow the plot without it being a headache!

Well, the Bond universe is also full of traitors, as well, like Koskov in TLD or Miranda Frost in DAD.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Unlikable protagonists.

Battleship comes to mind but I'm tired of Douchy characters were supposed to root for.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Battleship was an awful movie, i kept hoping during the 2+ hour running time that Liam Neeson would just come in, kill everyone so the movie would end. But no, all he did was moan in his radio.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I purposefully stayed away from Battleship.

1. Movies based on board games. Clue was good, but ever since...
    2. M. Night Shaymalan. I liked Unbreakable and Signs and thought The Happening was at least decent, but all the others have been horrible.
    For me "Clue" is more than good - it's a superb film very nicely done, especially for it's day. It shows that an unusual format can still work out well with good acting without being predictably formulaic and 'safe' like many films out there.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Acting - I mean it's so obvious they're acting sometimes. ;)
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Dragonpol wrote: »

I know what you mean. It's like they're reading from a damn script, sometimes.

I would love to have such a shitty job. -)

Not sure I could do the job but it looks easier than it is I guess.
    I purposefully stayed away from Battleship.

1. Movies based on board games. Clue was good, but ever since...
    2. M. Night Shaymalan. I liked Unbreakable and Signs and thought The Happening was at least decent, but all the others have been horrible.

Is there any other?
    Battleship. There's a Monopoly movie in the works, too.
  • quantumofsolacequantumofsolace England
    Cars exploding the moment they go over a cliff. Are they all carrying bottles of particularly unstable nitro?
    Hollywood Rule #78: All vehicles must be fueled with literally the most unstable explosive, which will only ignite and detonate once said vehicles reach the edge of a cliff. This starts a timer which hits zero at the precise moment the vehicle hits the bottom.

So you've noticed it too. It's so damn contrived! ;)
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Someone mentioned John Barry above. It got me to think about the lack of care for creating well-crafted original scores for movies. This in turn employees less people, especially perhaps lesser known artists. Even if a soundtrack doesn't use original music, there's so much out there like Shelley Harland or English greats like Endless Blue which can display the inner emotions of Bond better than Ding Ding Thomas Newman's minimalism with the works they've done all these years.

I think we can probably blame Tarantino for this. One of his signatures is using pop songs instead of original soundtracks.
    Guardians of the Galaxy has a wonderful soundtrack, though...
    It does, I didn't say that trend was entirely negative.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Shaky cameras during fight scenes. The Bourne Supremacy, The Bourne Legacy, and Taken 2 are some of the worst offenders of this. It's supposed to add an intense feeling but all it does is anger me. I want to be able to tell what is happening and who is hitting who.
    Shaky cameras during fight scenes. The Bourne Supremacy, The Bourne Legacy, and Taken 2 are some of the worst offenders of this. It's supposed to add an intense feeling but all it does is anger me. I want to be able to tell what is happening and who is hitting who.

Agreed, though QoS was an offender here too I suppose.
    It's even transitioned into TV fight scenes, like in Arrow. It makes it worse when both the combatants are wearing hoods of dark colors.
    Battleship. There's a Monopoly movie in the works, too.
    That's not a whole lot. I'd love to see a "serious"adaptation of Cluedo: a whodunit done with a straight face.

• When the movie makers are too cheap to film in a real house or in a set with a backdrop outside the window, so all interior rooms and scenes just have bright white light coming through the windows. Cheap and lazy. I first noticed it in Now You See Me. It happens in the Skyfall lodge in the gun room
    I'm tired of maverick heroes who hate authority and are right all the time.
    The vast majority of those characters seem to be "cops who play by their own rules." Good addition.
  • -When a character is killed and then resurrected a few minutes later by some deus ex machina.

-When a character's distant relative is played by the same actor/actress. This goes for reincarnation too, it drives me crazy.

-When a character who has presumably never touched a gun before (this especially goes for women in horror movies) picks one up and shoots it ONE HANDED and miraculously hits their target with absolutely no kickback.

-Oh and when 30 year olds play teenagers...
    jackdagger wrote: »
    -When a character is killed and then resurrected a few minutes later by some deus ex machina.
    That would wipe out half my movie collection....

:)
    Sark wrote: »
    The vast majority of those characters seem to be "cops who play by their own rules." Good addition.

Yes, and I can't stand them. They are often infaillible, borderline invincible, you wonder why they ever became cops (or soldiers) if they cannot stand hierarchy, organizations and authority. This is why outside of Bond, I have never been very big on action movies. I love crime fiction however, but the best cop characters IMO are flawed, not pure macho fantasies. If they have issues against authority, they have to deal with it, not disregard it every time they draw a gun.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    If they have issues against authority
    Any character that does not have issues with authority is just a robot doing the remote control thing, and is entirely uninteresting IMO. On the other hand, Dirty Harry takes it entirely too far....
    *Connery voice*
    B A L A N C E, balance.