Things you're tired of seeing in movies.

Comments

• chrisisall wrote:
    This thread is a wake up call for the major movie execs! I hope it inspires others.
    Don't kid yourself. Movie execs mostly read spread sheets and follow computer projections. They are bean counters that work with numbers & listen to consultants, not real people.

Wishful thinking, I know. But I'm glad I don't go to the theatre for new movies very often, which will only feed the pigs if I do.

I am reminded of this old adage:
    "If you keep serving up slop, people will acquire a taste for it."
    Hence the flux of sequels, CGI extravaganzas, super hero horseshytt.
    American Hustle got shut out last night and I am elated.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Everything did apart from one film!
  • Wall street...and Hustle...12 years....all too worthy.

Dallas Cowboy's was interesting....

Gravity was breathtaking apart from Bollucks

Before Midnight, Filth, Prisoners...they were great films.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Tired of hearing foreigners speaking English with their own foreign accent while talking to each other. Granted, it is not as common as it used to be anymore, thankfully.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    This has to go with movies but Trailers that show footage that doesn't even appear in the movie. I was so bummed we didn't get to see Bond run through London in Skyfall. to get back into top form.
    Murdock wrote:
    This has to go with movies but Trailers that show footage that doesn't even appear in the movie. I was so bummed we didn't get to see Bond run through London in Skyfall. to get back into top form.

What? But we did! The Tennyson sequence, man!
    edited March 2014 Posts: 16,333
    Murdock wrote:

What? But we did! The Tennyson sequence, man!

Not that scene. This scene.
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xvqEwwRfi8w/UL-cWPw_P7I/AAAAAAAAAbI/dFBiavskWlM/s1600/vlcsnap-2012-12-05-20h07m47s108.png
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I would've loved seeing that scene from the very first Skyfall trailer.
  • XXXXXX Banned
    Obvious Rocky ripoff so they cut it. what does it add to the scene.
    Serbian terrorists. Are they really overrepresented in the field of terrorism in real life? Did not think so.
    Serbian terrorists. Are they really overrepresented in the field of terrorism in real life? Did not think so.

That is because any other sort of terrorists would cost the producers a larger slice of their customer basis. Hence money talks and realism walks.

SaintMark wrote:

That is because any other sort of terrorists would cost the producers a larger slice of their customer basis. Hence money talks and realism walks.

This is using rationale. Analyzing at its best!
    XXX wrote:
    Obvious Rocky ripoff so they cut it. what does it add to the scene.

No it isn't. It could add more to Bond trying to get back into shape after being gone for 3 months. We'd get to see some humanity in Bond. Something.
    SaintMark wrote:

And also, Serbians bring the Eastern European aura of menace. And they can be played by anyone who can fake a foreign accent.

The first Serbian terrorists/villains I ever saw was on the first season of 24, when Jack Bauer fought the Drazens, Victor and his sons Andrei and Alexis.
    Those clowns in "Taken" were Albanians. I don't recall many Serbians in movies. Maybe I should pay more attention...
    SaintMark wrote:

You are probably right. That plus it is dangerous to offend the wrong people.
    Films dumbed down to appease all audiences. We need more small name studios to make movies again.
  • CGI
    Remakes/sequels
    New actors
    3D
    CGI
    This is here to stay and does work wonders post-production, if you object to the actionscenes completely in CGI I will agree. But as for the Scifi genre it makes a lot more possible that would otherwise be impossible.
    Remakes/sequels
    There is money to be made with these and after all the complaining moviemaking is an industry aimed at making money.
    New actors
    Thank some deity for them, otherwise we would get stuck with oldies, even if we can always rejuvenate them with CGI. ;)
    3D
    I am so looking forward to James Cameron's next installment of Avatar which is supposed to take place under the sea, and that will easily be Cameron at his best.

Will Ferrell
    Bland generic music scores that don't fit the movie at all. I know I harped on Hans Zimmer in my opening post, but even movies he hasn't composed are now suffering from the Zimmer Dark Knight musical style. It's like the days of epic theme heavy scores are now gone. :(
    Finally found this thread again (couldn't think of the title) after something dawned on me that irks me in films, and sadly, I realized it because of GE: why are belts so expendable in films? I'm guessing it's just me...but I wear a belt to help keep my pants up if they aren't the perfect size. So anytime a belt is used as a gadget, tourniquet, support system, etc., it has no alteration on the character's pants. It's a minor thing, but it just dawned on me and wanted to see if anyone else agreed.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Finally found this thread again (couldn't think of the title) after something dawned on me that irks me in films, and sadly, I realized it because of GE: why are belts so expendable in films? I'm guessing it's just me...but I wear a belt to help keep my pants up if they aren't the perfect size. So anytime a belt is used as a gadget, tourniquet, support system, etc., it has no alteration on the character's pants. It's a minor thing, but it just dawned on me and wanted to see if anyone else agreed.

Totally agree i would be lost without my belt, often wear combat pants and without a belt i would have to hold them up if i started to run.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Creasy47 wrote:
    So anytime a belt is used as a gadget, tourniquet, support system, etc., it has no alteration on the character's pants. It's a minor thing, but it just dawned on me and wanted to see if anyone else agreed.
    All my pants fit perfectly. I wear a belt in case I need to use it like Bruce Campbell did in Army Of Darkness.
    @chrisisall, I like your style. Well I always wear a belt because I need one. My pants fit better with a belt on, so it's just weird to me when they're expendable in films.
    I think it's secretly that pants in movies are actually stretchy pants that form fit to an actor. ;)
    @Murdock or wearing hidden braces lol Not sure 007 would look good in braces. Not sure if he wore braces other than maybe as a clown in Octopussy?
    Is it just me, or are there always WAY too many traitors in modern action/superhero movies? If not traitors, then at least the issue of "who do we trust". I was watching Captain America 2 the other day in theaters with two of my buddies, and the whole time I'm thinking good grief, can we not just say here's the villain, here are the good guys, now go get him? Sheesh, a little black-and-white with the plot would be nice!