Things you're tired of seeing in movies.

Comments

chrisisall wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    If they have issues against authority
    Any character that does not have issues with authority is just a robot doing the remote control thing, and is entirely uninteresting IMO. On the other hand, Dirty Harry takes it entirely too far....
    *Connery voice*
    B A L A N C E, balance.

A hero who has no issue with authority and discovers that the people above him are far from flawless can create great character development.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    A hero who has no issue with authority and discovers that the people above him are far from flawless can create great character development.
    Whoah, yes. Point taken!
    Whoah, yes. Point taken!

And it works because there is a conflict between reality and the hero's perception. When the hero is a maverick, there is no conflict between both: reality confirms the hero's perspective and he ends up being right all along.
    When the hero is a maverick, there is no conflict between both: reality confirms the hero's perspective and he ends up being right all along.
    Thanks for setting me straight here, dramatically you are most correct! ^:)^
    However, I still enjoy McClane in Die Hard 1 & 2 on a purely cathartic & simplistic popcorn level.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Would you say thia dynamic is present in QoS?
    Sark wrote: »
    Would you say this dynamic is present in QoS?
    In a much smaller degree. The grey areas in QOS mitigate it some IMO.

When the hero is a maverick, there is no conflict between both: reality confirms the hero's perspective and he ends up being right all along.
    Thanks for setting me straight here, dramatically you are most correct! ^:)^
    However, I still enjoy McClane in Die Hard 1 & 2 on a purely cathartic & simplistic popcorn level.

The first Die Hard is great, but the original novel is better (mainly because the main character, John Leland, is far more complex than the maverick hero). The second movie is merely a repeat of the first, more a clone than a true sequel. But anyway, in the first McClane's everyman nature makes him more interesting than the usual maverick supercop he became and many other 80s action heroes.
    McClane's everyman nature makes him more interesting than the usual maverick supercop he became and many other 80s action heroes.
    Agreed!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'm tired of seeing final confrontations that take place at a loading dock.
    Murdock wrote: »
    I'm tired of seeing final confrontations that take place at a loading dock.

Ripley did it so great that anybody else having a go is never going to top her.

• How about women running around in 7" heels but somehow managing to not break their ankle(s)?
    -Policemen getting in the way, or worst, out to arrest misunderstood SuperHeroes
    -2 adults not being able, or afraid, for absolutly no reason, to admit to each other that they are in love, how many times have we seen that?
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    SaintMark wrote: »
    While I generally agree on sequels you must admit it is funny when you are a fan of the longest running franchise there is.

Then again some sequels are better than the original.
    F&tF 5 & 6 comes to mind
    Gothfather 2
    From Russia with Love
    etc
    It's funny when you think that Dr. No was actually born as a sequel to From Russia With Love, though ;) They switched it for the film version.
    -Policemen getting in the way, or worst, out to arrest misunderstood SuperHeroes
    -2 adults not being able, or afraid, for absolutly no reason, to admit to each other that they are in love, how many times have we seen that?

In the same vein, in romcoms: when the female lead leaves for whatever far away place to pursue her career because of a misunderstanding with her boyfriend and he is trying desperately to get to her before she goes on the train/bus/plane/boat that will lead her far away.

Such a thundering cliché.
    Walecs wrote: »
    While I generally agree on sequels you must admit it is funny when you are a fan of the longest running franchise there is.

F&tF 5 & 6 comes to mind
    Gothfather 2
    From Russia with Love
    etc
    It's funny when you think that Dr. No was actually born as a sequel to From Russia With Love, though ;) They switched it for the film version.

It is, isn't it. ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Walecs wrote: »

F&tF 5 & 6 comes to mind
    Gothfather 2
    From Russia with Love
    etc

It is, isn't it. ;)

At least it did not cause any problems, like when they switched OHMSS and YOLT.
    Figured I'd bump this.

Things I'm tired of seeing currently. Movies that are based on TV shows, being turned into an origin story. The TV Show didn't bother putting in an origin, we don't need to see it in movie form, Get to the good stuff, enough fluff.
    Origin stories are getting tiresome to endure. They have the same plot basically. At least we will never have that sort of a Bond flick. I like how they've clued us in about his past in the Craig era without flashbacks or a film starting with Bond at a young age and just little anecdotes instead.
    Gettler wrote: »
    Origin stories are getting tiresome to endure. They have the same plot basically. At least we will never have that sort of a Bond flick. I like how they've clued us in about his past in the Craig era without flashbacks or a film starting with Bond at a young age and just little anecdotes instead.

Yeah especially in buddy team movies. Uh I hate you, I hate you too! Hey we survived this scary situation, Let's be friends! Okay! Ugh I hate you again...wanna be friends at the end? Same boring story.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 1,817
    Gettler wrote: »

I hate 'em too. Never liked them.
  • I am tired of pointless love stories. If you are not going to bother to develop a realistic one properly there is no point in having it at all. E.g. SP, Age of Ultron.
    Endless scenes of people tapping on a computer screen solving all the heroes problems with one key stroke. One of THE most annoying tropes of modern movies. How did heroes survive out in the field before the computer nerd
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    young hipster computer nerds

screaming children

use of colour filters

epilogues within or after the end titles

obvious endings just produced for being able to bring on a sequel
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited September 2016 Posts: 9,117
    Superheroes.

What was exciting when Christopher Reeve did it has now been reduced to the dullest spectacle known to man through being relentlessly flogged to death.

Remakes/Reboots of movies that were already good to begin with.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

I get a kick out of these absolutely bombing at the box office. If they stop painting over classics with a fresh turd, maybe they won't lose so much money.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I get a kick out of these absolutely bombing at the box office. If they stop painting over classics with a fresh turd, maybe they won't lose so much money.

Oh yes, I also stalk IMDB message boards for these movies to see the mudslinging from those who won't watch it and those who will. It's very entertaining to say the least.
    The playing Chess metaphor.
    Not chess Mr. Spock...Poker! ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Mental institutions where people are mingling everywhere, acting batshit ceazy.