Things you're tired of seeing in movies.

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited March 2014 Posts: 17,691
    Gerard wrote:
    Yes, there is that. But John Barry has almost always given his best work even if the movies themselves weren't good (cough Starcrash cough)
    cough Game Of Death, Black Hole cough, yeah...
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    The same ****ing poster for different movies

Skyfall+Poster+1.jpg

non_stop_poster-620x356.jpg
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited March 2014 Posts: 16,331
    @JamesPage that's plagiarism if I've ever saw it... :O
    Hollywood beating its head against a brick wall when they do sequels to successful films.
    Readily comes to mind:
    Taken 2
    Ring 2
    Fast and Furious 2, 3, 4, 5, etc...

Why can't they just leave well enough alone? History has shown that most sequels suck anally. One exception where a sequel is actually better than the original: Bride of Frankenstein. and that was back in 1935
    Maybe they think they can succeed where many many others have failed. When will they ever learn?
    While I generally agree on sequels you must admit it is funny when you are a fan of the longest running franchise there is.

Then again some sequels are better than the original.
    F&tF 5 & 6 comes to mind
    Gothfather 2
    From Russia with Love
    etc
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Sequels that, IMO, are as good as or better than the original:

- M:I 3 & 4 >>> M:I 1 & 2
    - Episode V = Episode IV
    - T2 = The Terminator
    - Aliens = Alien
    - Bride Of Frankenstein > Frankenstein
    - F&F 5,6 > anything previous
    - The Dark Knight = Batman Begins
    - Bride Of Chucky >> the Child's Play trilogy

The way I see it, sequels need not necessarily be bad. But in some cases, I too wonder why they even bother. *Ahum* Independence Day 2 *ahum*.
    Murdock wrote:
    Adam Sandler movies. He stopped being funny back in 2002.

I don't think he ever was. I can't stand him in anything and I am surprised he ever got an acting job in the first place, let alone made a career out of it.
    RC7 wrote:
    CGI
    Lack of fresh ideas (see above for remakes/reboots)

The awful thing is, there are lots of brilliant original ideas out there, but original ideas don't guarantee money. It's probably my least favourite aspect of commercial media. The only way original ideas find there way to market is through blind luck, or because they've been achieved on a shoe-string, and that's a horrible fact.

This. I don't like the remakes and reboot craze of the last decade(s), but it is sadly explained by the volatile aspect of the market. And people, let's face it, don't want to see something new, not that often anyway, they want to see what they have seen before.

That said, I'd love to see more movies adapted from novels that were never adapted before. Not flavors of the month novels only recently published, but things that have been on the shelves for years.
    SaintMark wrote:
    While I generally agree on sequels you must admit it is funny when you are a fan of the longest running franchise there is.

Then again some sequels are better than the original.
    F&tF 5 & 6 comes to mind
    Gothfather 2
    From Russia with Love
    etc

I think it depends on how the sequels are approached. If they are made as a copy of the first movie, in effect a remake without the name, then it fails. If they are an evolution from it, then it works. Sadly, they usually prefer remaking the first one: Terminator 2, Die Hard 2, etc.
    Ludovico wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    CGI

The awful thing is, there are lots of brilliant original ideas out there, but original ideas don't guarantee money. It's probably my least favourite aspect of commercial media. The only way original ideas find there way to market is through blind luck, or because they've been achieved on a shoe-string, and that's a horrible fact.

This. I don't like the remakes and reboot craze of the last decade(s), but it is sadly explained by the volatile aspect of the market. And people, let's face it, don't want to see something new, not that often anyway, they want to see what they have seen before.

That said, I'd love to see more movies adapted from novels that were never adapted before. Not flavors of the month novels only recently published, but things that have been on the shelves for years.

I'm still waiting for a good Nick Stone film. There's one in production apparently and a few years ago Jason Statham was set to star in it but he dropped out and I haven't heard anything about it since.
    Ludovico wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    CGI

I'm still waiting for a good Nick Stone film. There's one in production apparently and a few years ago Jason Statham was set to star in it but he dropped out and I haven't heard anything about it since.

In my case it is a George Pelecanos novel, any of them. preferably Right as Rain, as the beginning of a Derek Strange/Terry Quinn trilogy (with a Hard Revolution prequel for good measure), but any would do. Shoedog has been in preproduction since at least 2011, with no sign of even beginning shooting.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited March 2014 Posts: 13,350
    JamesPage wrote:
    The same ****ing poster for different movies

Skyfall+Poster+1.jpg

non_stop_poster-620x356.jpg

The marketing department better be giving us something new, that can't easily be copied, for Bond 24.

Know anything, Mr. Page? ;)
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 1,405
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Family sports films with a message of hope that starts with a piano playing, features a nice coach, a crying soccer mum, a dog and a kid in a wheel chair.

Don't forget teamsports movies in which an untalented, overmatched and deeply flawed team dead last in the standings with a few games left to play rises to the occasion and wins it all in spectacular and earth-shattering fashion.

How many fu.... times have we seen that?
    Something else I've always been sick of is singers/athletes getting big roles in major motion pictures despite the fact that the didn't earn their way there in any way, shape or form.

In a similar vein I don't like it when actors decide to become directors and immediately get a huge gig just based on their name. Somehow I doubt they worked their way up as a gaffer, editor, etc.

I basically completely agree with you, especially when I hear that the guy from Twilight plans to get a director himself when he wasn't even a good actor to begin with.But it's can work. Just look at Clint Eastwood.I doubt he ever was a gaffer, editor or whatever and he really is one of the best.

• it's even made it into the new godzilla trailer.
    Yes, Hans Zimmer has created a new wave of generic music that everyone wants to copy for some reason.
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    Something else I've always been sick of is singers/athletes getting big roles in major motion pictures despite the fact that the didn't earn their way there in any way, shape or form.

In a similar vein I don't like it when actors decide to become directors and immediately get a huge gig just based on their name. Somehow I doubt they worked their way up as a gaffer, editor, etc.

I basically completely agree with you, especially when I hear that the guy from Twilight plans to get a director himself when he wasn't even a good actor to begin with.But it's can work. Just look at Clint Eastwood.I doubt he ever was a gaffer, editor or whatever and he really is one of the best.

I would say that Clint Eastwood is a greater director than actor.
  • Someone mentioned John Barry above. It got me to think about the lack of care for creating well-crafted original scores for movies. This in turn employees less people, especially perhaps lesser known artists. Even if a soundtrack doesn't use original music, there's so much out there like Shelley Harland or English greats like Endless Blue which can display the inner emotions of Bond better than Ding Ding Thomas Newman's minimalism with the works they've done all these years.
    Villains allowing themselves to be capture so their secret evil plan can go on and hero is fooled.

Toilet and sex humor.

Live action movie adaptations of video games and cartoons that don't relate at all the videogame/cartoons and invent new characters to appeal to a mass audience.
    I guess I'm just tired of so-called 'gritty realism' in movies these days. Basically, trying to inject gritty realism into a comic book movie is like covering a tasty Birthday cake with coffee grounds.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 1,778
    Ludovico wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:

I would say that Clint Eastwood is a greater director than actor.

Eastwood is a great director but my point is he never earned his way there as a filmmaker. Who knows how many hundreds or even thousands of potentially great filmmakers never made it because they could never get thru that glass ceiling. They never had the connections or the luck to make it big. Guys like Eastwood, Affleck, Joseph Gordon Levitt, Ron Howard, Leonard Nimoy, etc never had to earn a thing when it came to getting their filmmaking careers off the ground as they already had connections and didn't have to get noticed due to their fame as actors not directors.

In a way it's also nepotism.The same could be applied to actors. Say Dakota Johnson becomes a big star after 50 Shades of Grey. I'm sure the fact that she's Melanie Griffin and Don Johnson's daughter along with Antonio Banderes' stepdaughter had nothing to do with her climbing the ladder in the acting world right?
  • SaintMark wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

Oh yes, I agree with that one.

I miss Michael Keaton, though ...

The one true BATMAN.

Sadly, we have never gotten a sequel to wrap up all the loose ends of Batman Returns. BF is not even considered a sequel by some fans.
  • Murdock wrote:
    Yes, Hans Zimmer has created a new wave of generic music that everyone wants to copy for some reason.

Right on the nail! Zimmer's the epitome of overly-simplistic musical style in modern cinema.
    Murdock wrote:

Right on the nail! Zimmer's the epitome of overly-simplistic musical style in modern cinema.

Though his score for Black Rain (1989) Was a pretty good score, but once Chris Nolan got his hooks in him he's just done the same thing for everything now.
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    coming up soon is that crap looking Guardians thing.
    Being the geek I am, I respectfully disagree. Guardians Of The Galaxy looks good mainly because of Bradley Cooper doing the voice of Rocket Raccoon.
    SaintMark wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

The one true BATMAN.

Sadly, we have never gotten a sequel to wrap up all the loose ends of Batman Returns. BF is not even considered a sequel by some fans.

I sure don't consider it a sequel.
  • XXXXXX Banned
    Ludovico wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

The one true BATMAN.

I sure don't consider it a sequel.
    It's not a sequel.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @XXX

Please don't just randomly post in every thread you visit. If you have a point to make, elaborate. "It's not a sequel" doesn't exactly add anything to the discussion.

Thank you.
  • This thread is a wake up call for the major movie execs! I hope it inspires others.
    This thread is a wake up call for the major movie execs! I hope it inspires others.
    Don't kid yourself. Movie execs mostly read spread sheets and follow computer projections. They are bean counters that work with numbers & listen to consultants, not real people.