The Overrated Thread

Comments

• ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Let's bump this.

Most Overrated Bond FIlm: On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Goldfinger or Dr No, but they're still very good.

Most Overrated Title Track: Eh, either Goldfinger or A View To A Kill, but again, they're both great.

Most Overrated Title Credits: Licence to Kill

Most Overrated PTS: The World Is Not Enough

Most Overrated Score: Quantum of Solace. People keep saying it's Arnold's best but this one did nothing for me.

Most Overrated Villain: Telly Savalas' Blofeld

Most Overrated Ally: Honestly, Felix Leiter from GF or something. One of the Leiter's.

Most Overrated Bond Girl: Domino or Tiffany Case

Most Overrated Minor Character: Bambi & Thumper, LOL.

Most Overrated Henchman: Sadly, it might be Jaws, but he's still my favorite and personal best (in TSWLM, anyway).
  • DariusDarius UK
    edited November 2015 Posts: 354
    Most Overrated Bond Film: GF. The plot has more holes than a large block of Emmental.

Most Overrated Title Track: A View To A Kill. Too many stutters, sequencers and hits for me.

Most Overrated Title Credits: DN. I know this movie was low budget, but this just takes the cake.

Most Overrated PTS: FYEO. I know @Perilagu_Khan (the author of this thread) likes it, but committing so much movie time to a middle-digit salute to McClory was a childish waste.

Most Overrated Score: QoS. There's a cult clique of fans that exault this score, but I've yet to understand why. Maybe someone would enlighten me.

Most Overrated Villain: Francisco Scaramanga. Nothing like Scaramanga of the books. Despite associations with Lee's back catalogue, just not scary or threatening at all. It would have been better if they had dressed him in a cape and given him red contact lenses. (Sorry, Chris. RIP)

Most Overrated Ally: Felix Leiter. Criminally underused in the movies, this character deserves better. He also deserves a consistent actor.

Most Overrated Bond Girl: Madeleine Swann. She didn't convince me, I'm afraid.

Most Overrated Minor Character: Sheriff J. W. Pepper. Lent an amusing edge to LALD, but absolutely no need to bring him back.

Most Overrated Henchman: Jaws. Why this character is so popular, I can't imagine. He's comedy sci-fi gone mad.
    Most Overrated Bond Film: Goldfinger
    Most Overrated Title Track: Goldfinger
    Most Overrated Title Credits: The Spy SWho Loved Me
    Most Overrated PTS: Octopussy
    Most Overrated Score: Quantum of Solace
    Most Overrated Villain: Blofeld (YOLT)
    Most Overrated Ally: Jack Wade (TND)
    Most Overrated Bond Girl: Tracy (OHMSS) - Vesper played by Eva Green is much better
    Most Overrated Minor Character: Sheriff Pepper (LALD & TMWTGG)
    Most Overrated Henchman: Mr Hinx (Spectre)
  • M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    Let's kill some cows.

top 5 overrated films, IMO:

from russia with love - train scenes were great but the rest was dull and anti-climactic.
    the spy who loved me - no real plot, weak soundtrack and 15 mins could've easily been trimmed from it
    for your eyes only - it's a serious film by bond standards but if it didn't carry the bond license, it would be one of the many generic spy films you can watch on tv for free
    goldeneye - it's the bond formula, but with a new actor. first act is so slow and a lot of it is so predictable.
    skyfall - at least when it first came out, it was hyped as a 10/10 when it was more of an 8. it's fine now.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Silly thread.
    Agreed.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Silly thread.

Yes, and highly overrated.
  • KaijuDirectorOO7KaijuDirectorOO7 Once Upon a Time Somewhere...
    edited December 2016 Posts: 189
    GF is still overrated. Not really that appealing to me. FRWL however, that's certainly deserving of being Sean's favorite, and DAF still strikes a chord with me.

That's NOT to say GF isn't a good movie, and it is a pretty good egg. Just not appealing.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    Silly thread.

I wished to use this as an opportunity to denounce OHMSS but I'm afraid this is true.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    GF is still overrated. Not really that appealing to me. FRWL however, that's certainly deserving of being Sean's favorite, and DAF still strikes a chord with me.

That's NOT to say GF isn't a good movie, and it is a pretty good egg. Just not appealing.

@KaijuDirectorOO7, fully agreed. GF is a good film, mostly because of Sean, but the applause it gets is strange to me in many ways. Look past its tradition-setting and I don't find anything that points to it being the best of the best, really. Some areas of its script, including Pussy's turn and Goldfinger's plot that is junk science at its finest, don't help it.

FRWL on the other hand is deserving of any praise it gets as far as I'm concerned. One of the more daring films that allows Bond to take a back seat to let us see the villain's scheme develop around him (we'd never see this today). We truly eat breakfast and go to bed with SPECTRE as Grant is prepped for his mission, and we see how the Brits react to the enemy action on the other side as Bond and M both see the trap they're willingly heading into. About as perfect a Bond film and Bond script could ever hope to be, with so many classic moments and scenes that make it a spy thriller classic, and the best of the vintage Bond with OHMSS and DN as its competition.

In addition to all this, I hold that once we get on the Orient Express we have what may be the best section of any Bond film ever as the animal performances of Connery and Shaw go at each other with disguise and subterfuge as Bond gradually sees the massive web of deceit and conspiracy he's entangled himself inside, far greater than he ever imagined. The whole film leads up to the confrontation and row Bond and Grant have in the closed carriage, making it one of the most classic moments in cinema, not just Bond. When Sean's Bond says, "SPECTRE," out loud with a mix of damnation and revelation to his voice it's mesmerizing to watch and after that point the series would never be the same. From that moment on Bond learned not to be duped by SPECTRE again and makes a point not to end up as near to death's door as Grant took him there.
    FRWL is a very good Bond film. GF to me though is just the most entertaining, well-rounded Connery Bond adventure. Both are all-time classics though. The first 6 films as a whole is a run I don't expect the series to be able to match again.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 19,339
    Most Overrated Bond Film: The Living Daylights
    Most Overrated Title Track: The Living Daylights
    Most Overrated Title Credits: The Living Daylights
    Most Overrated PTS: The Living Daylights
    Most Overrated Score: The Living Daylights
    Most Overrated Villain: The Living Daylights
    Most Overrated Ally: The Living Daylights
    Most Overrated Bond Girl: The winner of the 'thick as shit ' award 1987.
    Most Overrated Minor Character: The Living Daylights
    Most Overrated Henchman:The Living Daylights
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    The most overated Bond film is GE. Its average in everyway.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 11,189
    suavejmf wrote: »

I admit the film has aged now. However I can't deny the impact that film had on me growing up. As ive said before I can recite practically the whole script word-for-word to this day. I can't say its overrated as its still not only my most watched Bond film but also one of my most watched films of all.

Name a scene and I'll act it out for you ;)
    Most overrated Bond actor: Daniel Craig.Just dont see the appeal.Hes ab average actor at best and his Bond is just unappealing.He cant do comedy and has no charm.Could he have played a 00 agent? Yes.Bond? no.

Skyfall: Its a piece of shit.A very well photographed piece of shit but a piece of shit all the same.

Goldeneye: Not a bad film at all but i dont get why its so highly praised.Its just as silly and camp as DAD but the latter gets the criticism.

Most overrated Bond girl: Vesper Lynd.I love Eva Green but her character in CR is just so obnoxious.If i had been Bond i would have actually meant it when i said '' The bitch is dead ''.

Most overrated Bond director: Sam Mendes.Yes we know you make serious arty films but you dont know how to make a Bond film and calling one of your movies Spectre and expecting us to ooh and aah at the mere mention of Blofelds name doesnt mean shit.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited December 2016 Posts: 4,554
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    Most overrated Bond actor: Daniel Craig.Just dont see the appeal.Hes ab average actor at best and his Bond is just unappealing.He cant do comedy and has no charm.Could he have played a 00 agent? Yes.Bond? no.

Skyfall: Its a piece of shit.A very well photographed piece of shit but a piece of shit all the same.

Goldeneye: Not a bad film at all but i dont get why its so highly praised.Its just as silly and camp as DAD but the latter gets the criticism.

Most overrated Bond girl: Vesper Lynd.I love Eva Green but her character in CR is just so obnoxious.If i had been Bond i would have actually meant it when i said '' The bitch is dead ''.

Most overrated Bond director: Sam Mendes.Yes we know you make serious arty films but you dont know how to make a Bond film and calling one of your movies Spectre and expecting us to ooh and aah at the mere mention of Blofelds name doesnt mean shit.

Because DC is such a fantastic actor that he doesn't need cheesy lines to pull off comedy. Re-watch the museum scene with Ben Whishaw in SF. Pay attention to DC's facial expression, when Q first sits next to him and invades his personal space. The look (of "WTF!") is priceless and cracks me up every time. And then he ups the ante with full-blown dismay when Q says, "double-oh seven."

The couch fall in the SP PTS wasn't too shabby, either. Again: no words spoken. He doesn't need them.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    suavejmf wrote: »

No, it isn t . It s below average.
    Sometimes. Except when you re wrong.
    If I only had time to save one Bond film before my house was destroyed in a fire, GoldenEye would be my choice without hesitation. My personal connection to it is just too great to ignore.

OHMSS, GF etc would be left to burn. Sorry but its the truth.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Is GE really held up that high? Ok, so it's generally looked on as Brosnan's best, but open that up to the whole series, and I don't think it is held up so high.
    its still the one i'd chose to rescue. It's the one I've seen the most and the one I have the biggest personal connection to.
    Why would you be able to rescue just one? Are they spread around the house?
    Why would you be able to rescue just one? Are they spread around the house?

some are tucked away, not all of them are together.
    I see. I wouldn t rescue any films at all if my house was on fire.

Um, its a hypothetical situation.

Maybe I should have just said if I had to keep one Bond film and give the rest away.

Because your apartment was really small?
    edited December 2016 Posts: 28,694
    BAIN123 wrote: »

Um, its a hypothetical situation.

Maybe I should have just said if I had to keep one Bond film and give the rest away.

Boring. Fire is better. The things you value become most transparent when you're in danger of losing them.
    Because your apartment was really small?

Its biggish and is gathering stuff so wouldn't have the time to look for all of them.

Old family photos are overrated. Better to rescue one of the dvd s .

Yep ;)

Photos are meaningless now, dude. Everything is digital.