The Overrated Thread

1234568»

Comments

• edited January 2017 Posts: 2,341
    Everyone seems to agree that GF can do no wrong and to say OddJob is overrated is sacriledge. He set the standard for all henchmen. Harold Sakata did not just play OddJob he WAS Oddjob.

Overrated Film TSWLM and TB
    Overrated Track They took a nosedive after OHMSS and all were just dreck
    Overrated Titles FRWL what a bunch of nonsense
    Overrated PTS GE the bungee jump was not all that
    Overrated score ditto for track
    Overrated villain Blofled YOLT boring and just nothing to him all the sums add up -0
    Overrated ally Leiter in QoS he was just there and nothing to him
    Overrated girl Jinx looks smoking but why she is so highly rated is beyond me.
    Overrated minor Anyone in QoS outside of Bond and Agent Fields
    Overrated Henchman Stamper would come to mind but he is never rated high anywhere. No one is overrated here, they all measure up to their low ratings.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2017 Posts: 28,694
    These lists really show some crazy perceptions from members on here. Never have I ever thought Jinx was seen as an overrated or even liked character (I see only indifference and higher rates of hate), and for QoS to be considered overrated in any regard is laughable considering it's the favorite pastime of many vets here to beat it like a dead horse for kicks. If anything it should be cleaning up in an Underrated Bond elements thread.

Most strange.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    As I understand overrated it can only be something that is regarded as highly popular with the general audience.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    As I understand overrated it can only be something that is regarded as highly popular with the general audience.

Hence why mentions of QoS and Jinx being placed in that category boggled my mind. I wish it was the case for the former, but the latter has no chance, beyond Halle being appreciated for her looks. As a character, Jinx is about as weak as you can get, along with most of DAD.

Hence why mentions of QoS and Jinx being placed in that category boggled my mind. I wish it was the case for the former, but the latter has no chance, beyond Halle being appreciated for her looks. As a character, Jinx is about as weak as you can get, along with most of DAD.

I have to defend Halle Berry though. DAD was a HUGE HUGE HUGE success and one of THE Bond events of the series. Neither CR nor QOS reached the ticket sales amount of DAD (or GE) by the way.

Die Another Day got great critics ratings in 2002 and Halle Berry in her bikini scene graced every newspaper/magazine existing.

In EVERY Bond retrospective montage (be it at the Oscars, British Awards, Golden Globe) Halle Berry is present, prominently.

I don't say, that Jinx is a well written character, far from it. But she is popular out there.
    As for the Bondfanatics, that's another matter, but then we are known to have different opinions to the popular consensus.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    These lists really show some crazy perceptions from members on here. Never have I ever thought Jinx was seen as an overrated or even liked character (I see only indifference and higher rates of hate), and for QoS to be considered overrated in any regard is laughable considering it's the favorite pastime of many vets here to beat it like a dead horse for kicks. If anything it should be cleaning up in an Underrated Bond elements thread.

Most strange.

That's the trouble with these 'overrated' lists, something has to be rated pretty highly to be considered 'overrated' and a lot of the stuff posted on here was never rated that high to begin with!

I have to defend Halle Berry though. DAD was a HUGE HUGE HUGE success and one of THE Bond events of the series. Neither CR nor QOS reached the ticket sales amount of DAD (or GE) by the way.

Die Another Day got great critics ratings in 2002 and Halle Berry in her bikini scene graced every newspaper/magazine existing.

In EVERY Bond retrospective montage (be it at the Oscars, British Awards, Golden Globe) Halle Berry is present, prominently.

I don't say, that Jinx is a well written character, far from it. But she is popular out there.
    As for the Bondfanatics, that's another matter, but then we are known to have different opinions to the popular consensus.

I'm sure Halle was everywhere, she was smoking. Many other women in weak roles like her, including some of Pierce's gals and earlier actresses like Tanya Roberts got the same treatment. Sex sells, and what better way to sell copies of anything than to put Halle on the cover? She was also going on to an Oscar winning role off DAD, so she was experiencing a bit of peak fame at that time, with the X-Men films on top of that.

However, as with everything Bond related, I couldn't give a toss about what casuals think. These kinds of arguments are only worth hearing from fans who know what they're on about, and that includes what is perceived as overrated or underrated. We've got the informed opinions, but everyone else out there are a bit like sheep; they can be herded mindlessly because they don't know Bond like us. We eat, sleep and drink this stuff.
    I can eat, sleep and drink Halle Berry's Jinx anytime, dear Brady :P
    Bring her on.
    I can eat, sleep and drink Halle Berry's Jinx anytime, dear Brady :P
    Bring her on.
    You want to "drink" Halle, eh? I don't like the images that statement conjures in my head...
    :-S
    Regarding Jinx, the character is constantly trashed and Halle's performance is so bad, she gets overrated as being ranked in the "top Bond Girl lists" these are mostly adolescent boys who met Bond back in the Nineties. For true afficiodos,(sp) Jinx is not highly rated at all and considered one of the worst Bond girls.

Like Tanya Roberts, Halle is very pleasing to the eye but as Bond girls go, both are pretty bad...
    I guess overrated things are always overrated in a context. When released DAD was overrated by the general public. Not anymore.