Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Shardlake wrote: »
    It was much better than SPECTRE.

Your havin' a laff!!!!!
    I feel that all the mystery is being sucked out of the Star Wars universe simply to make money.

Every little untold story is being seized upon and bled dry.

Rogue One did not make me care for any characters one iota. The leads were lightweight and dull. The story had no need to be told. We already know how the Death Star plans were gotten with a few words at the start of A New Hope. So we certainly didn't need a 2 and a half hour movie to explain it.

Who cares about Han Solo's history? He was a Space Pirate with a mysterious past. A Corellian smuggler who somehow came to be mates with a Wookie. I like his mysterious past. It's part of what makes his character so cool.

None of this is new. Lucasfilm has been doing this since 1978. Han Solo had a quite extensive origin thanks to some novels published way back then, and expanded on in more novels in the mid 90s.

None of this is new. I've bought toys and comics about characters who I don't think spent 20 seconds on the screen in the cantina, yet they have names and backstories.

None of this is new. Disney's simply picking up the ball that Lucas carried from the 50 yard line to here. They own the license, they're doing nothing Lucas didn't do.

True all that is, but I'm talking about the films, not books or comics.

Yes, Lucas started it all with the prequels, and mediocre as they are, he at least tried to do something different and expand his Star Wars universe.

I picked up a Star Wars continuation novel once. 'Heir to the Empire' I think it was called. I got about 50 pages in and it was appalling.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Both useless as far as I'm concerned and for the same reasons. Soulless with no spark, at least imho.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England

Your havin' a laff!!!!!

No not one bit, I much more enjoyed R1, SPECTRE was embarrassing.

SF & SP are night and day, Mendes did say he thought he probably only had one good Bond film in him when he was dilly and dallying whether to do Bond 24, I just wish he'd stuck to that.

Whatever Disney does with the SW universe can't be half as bad as what Lucas himself did with The Phantom Menace, or worse, the Star Wars Holiday Special.
    edited March 2017 Posts: 3,985

Your havin' a laff!!!!!

SF & SP are night and day, Mendes did say he thought he probably only had one good Bond film in him when he was dilly and dallying whether to do Bond 24, I just wish he'd stuck to that.

Almost as embarrassing as an actor with a CGI Peter Cushing face, eh? ;)
    Gerard wrote: »
    Whatever Disney does with the SW universe can't be half as bad as what Lucas himself did with The Phantom Menace, or worse, the Star Wars Holiday Special.

Depends how many dead actors they bring back with dodgy CGI I suppose...

Your havin' a laff!!!!!

Almost as embarrassing as an actor with a CGI Peter Cushing face, eh? ;)
    Well, to be fair there was an actor with a CGI Bautista face in SP as well during the car chase.
    Damn @bondjames, I've never noticed that!

The Cushing face was a bit more obvious I spose.....

Oh definitely! I was not impressed and I hope this doesn't become a trend.
    bondjames wrote: »

As I've said, CGI Photo-real humans are obviously a long way off!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    bondjames wrote: »

As I've said, CGI Photo-real humans are obviously a long way off!

I'm happy to hear they've opted NOT to go that route for Princess Leia in Episode IX. Would've been just as jarring as Tarkin's work was, and would've put a damper on the conclusion to the trilogy.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I feel that all the mystery is being sucked out of the Star Wars universe simply to make money.

Every little untold story is being seized upon and bled dry.

Rogue One did not make me care for any characters one iota. The leads were lightweight and dull. The story had no need to be told. We already know how the Death Star plans were gotten with a few words at the start of A New Hope. So we certainly didn't need a 2 and a half hour movie to explain it.

Who cares about Han Solo's history? He was a Space Pirate with a mysterious past. A Corellian smuggler who somehow came to be mates with a Wookie. I like his mysterious past. It's part of what makes his character so cool.

None of this is new. Lucasfilm has been doing this since 1978. Han Solo had a quite extensive origin thanks to some novels published way back then, and expanded on in more novels in the mid 90s.

None of this is new. I've bought toys and comics about characters who I don't think spent 20 seconds on the screen in the cantina, yet they have names and backstories.

None of this is new. Disney's simply picking up the ball that Lucas carried from the 50 yard line to here. They own the license, they're doing nothing Lucas didn't do.

I don't know if I can agree with that.

Yes, the Expanded Universe novels, comics and cartoons have always been there, but they always existed as a separate entity (at least to me) even though Lucas dubbed them as canon. They were optional.

The films were major events because they only came around every so often and stayed focused on the main characters, while the novels could fill in the blanks between episodes so and so, elaborate on the more obscure characters, or tell us more about the past or future, etc...

And I think they served their purpose well for those who chose to go the extra mile. Now, I'm not saying that I'm against these spinoff films in principle, but it's hard not to see this Han Solo movie as anything but a cynical cash grab. I actually enjoyed Rogue One (with some reservations) but Disney is going overboard by releasing a new film every year.

I have nothing against the EU, but not every story needs to be a major film event, that's all.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    The anthology films are just as optional, you can skip them if you choose. They're nothing more than the natural progression of the EU, another medium for it.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 6,432
    End of Rogue One melded to beginning of A New Hope

Jason Voorhees eat your heart out

Major Spoilers obviously

For me, "The Force Awakens" is probably the worst Star Wars movie I have ever seen so far. Still, it was better than the Holiday Special.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Very good @fire_and_ice. Though Rogue One has a few issues with it, it's not a bad film at all. I like many of the characters, and the ending was well done. Perfectly transitions into ANH.
    I like the prequels for all there faults they are entertaining and have far more rewatchability than TFA IMO, TFA Is good though not alot happens in the film up until the final act it's at the bottom of the Star Wars film ranking for me.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I have a soft spot for the prequels. They are really fun to watch, just lack the heart of the originals. A guilty pleasure for me.
    Benny wrote: »
    Very good @fire_and_ice. Though Rogue One has a few issues with it, it's not a bad film at all. I like many of the characters, and the ending was well done. Perfectly transitions into ANH.

Purchasing Rogue One on Friday which is the UK download release date, I have only watched the film once though really enjoyed the final act. I do recall yawning early on watching Rogue One in the cinema, most films on first watch your initiall feeling is what the end of the film gave you. The film did have great visuals through out which was a plus point, I hope the first two acts work better for me on second viewing.

• edited March 2017 Posts: 4,813
    And with this, cosplayers around the world cheered in unison!

Mark Hamill posted this on his Facebook page. He was wearing Jeans! JEANS!!! Who knew?!?
    They were off-the-shelf Levi's-Bleached with back pockets & label razored off "The most expensive low-budget movie ever made"- George Lucas SEVERAL pants were made for me & possibly stunt-double Colin Skeaping (who didn't join us until Empire) #StarWars Star Wars

17458172_1753472874981838_2947371411786777269_n.jpg?oh=08b7d82a72e31d773c59b7ce090a314e&oe=5958D10F
    17425857_1753472884981837_6290776373213096061_n.jpg?oh=91469d468cc7088a4944fd86728c751d&oe=596133F9
    17309458_1753472908315168_44167522845374743_n.jpg?oh=e47e80b664d163606430e1aa064f23d3&oe=59703BA5

*Edit, on a related note, I also learned from the comments section that the top half of the costume was just a super baggy white Martial Arts Gi!

So obvious now that it was pointed out!
    That's pretty cool Hamill has posted a few nostalgic Star Wars related stuff lately.... Foreshadowing Lukes journey coming to a end? I hope not!
    http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/disney-chief-details-star-wars-han-solo-spinoff-w473469

Disney CEO Bob Iger discussed the upcoming Star Wars standalone film about young Han Solo during a technology conference at the University of Southern California Thursday, Variety reports.

Iger said the Alden Ehrenreich-starring film will chronicle Solo's life between ages 18 to 24 and explore how the beloved smuggler went about "acquiring a certain vehicle and meeting a certain Wookie." Iger added, "You'll also discover how he got his name." :-S
    Along with Ehrenreich, the Han Solo spinoff movie will star Donald Glover as Lando Calrissian and Game of Thrones' Emilia Clarke, Woody Harrelson and Michael Kenneth Williams. Phil Lord and Chris Miller will direct the movie, which is scheduled to arrive in 2018.
    Iger also spoke about how the Star Wars team will handle the loss of Carrie Fisher, who died last December. Fisher reprised her role as Princess Leia in 2015's The Force Awakens and had also finished filming Episode VII: The Last Jedi, which opens December 15th.
    "We are not changing [Episode] 8 to deal with her passing," Iger said. "Her performance remains as it was in 8." He reasserted Disney's past claims that they would not add Fisher in digitally, as they did with late actor Peter Cushing as Grand Moff Tarkin in the recent standalone film, Rogue One.
    While Iger will be leaving Disney in 2019, he said the entertainment giant is now planning to extend the Star Wars franchise after they wrap up the latest trilogy with Episode IX. Iger said the team is considering "what could be another decade-and-a-half of Star Wars stories."
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Because if there's one question on my mind when I rewatch the original trilogy, it's "Just HOW did Han Solo get his name?!?"
    Star Wars is being diluted 8-|
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Because if there's one question on my mind when I rewatch the original trilogy, it's "Just HOW did Han Solo get his name?!?"

Han was a Chinese dynasty from the third century B C. until the third century A.D. They introduced budhism.

Solo is a piece of music for one voice or one instrument, from latin solus (alone).

I am very intrigued as to how it is connected.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 19,339
    I'm just watching 'Star Wars : The Force Awakens ' on SKY Cinema....just finished the mind-control scene with the storm trooper ...is that actually Daniel Craig,as the rumours say ?..any Star Wars fan know for sure ?

EDIT : Of course its him,now ive watched it again its so obvious in the movement and the voice thats its DC...i love it !!
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I'm just watching 'Star Wars : The Force Awakens ' on SKY Cinema....just finished the mind-control scene with the storm trooper ...is that actually Daniel Craig,as the rumours say ?..any Star Wars fan know for sure ?

EDIT : Of course its him,now ive watched it again its so obvious in the movement and the voice thats its DC...i love it !!

It is obvious, although in the cinema I completely missed it!
    I missed it earlier too...its only because i checked on google that i went back and watched the scene twice more ,and,as you say ,it is SO obvious that its Dan.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I spotted it straight away, his delivery and sarcasm is classis Dan, at least he was in one decent film that year.