Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    There is no problem.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    So what is the problem with star wars VII for fans..i still dont get it as a non-fan of star wars ?

It's a very safe film it's OK the final act is good, looking at the bigger picture I can see why they did what they did with TFA, the next film though needs to show some semblance of ambition.

• edited March 2017 Posts: 4,813
    Luke turning to the Dark Side was a possibility at one point if I recall, Hamill pushed for it.
    Mark having fun on set:
    7oyNBxa.png

ROTJ could have gone in several dark directions, really.
    We know from the comic 'Infinities' what happened if Vader lived and became an ally (which is awesome, but not too sure I like the white suit....) but imagine if Luke joined Vader and killed the Emperor, Vader killed Luke, Luke replaces Vader.. etc.
    The Emperor, Darth Vader AND Luke on the same side would mean the end for everyone!
    :-S
  • TFA was quite good in many respects. Personally (and this is coming from someone who really isn't that huge of a Star Wars fan to begin with), so many elements of the film felt lifted from A New Hope—and to a lesser degree The Empire Strikes Back. It didn't feel so much like a step forward into a new story as it did a nostalgic look back at the heyday of Star Wars. Which unfortunately is the trend these days: to basically remake a film in the guise of a sequel. We've seen this as far back as that okayish prequel to The Thing, The Thing, which really was just an excuse to remake The Thing. TFA was a good film, don't get me wrong. I'm greatly looking forward to the next one. But it really did feel like a retread in many respects and that's where my major beef with the film comes from.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 19,339
    And Carrie Fisher filmed all her scenes in the next one before she died ?
    Han Solo's death doesnt seem to make much impact ..
    She did, and I wonder if they will save some of it for Ep IX, as it was the plan that she would feature in both.
    I have expected that story arc with the new trilogy, if Episode VIII delves into Lukes conflict with the dark and the light I will be all in. Luke almost sleighing Vader was Luke standing on the precipice, I have read ep 8 is character driven so I have high hopes.
    I want to see more of Snoke.
    She filmed everything for episode VIII, and everyone says there's a lot of footage because Leia had a bigger role.
    Seems to me they'd better take a step back and organize all that footage to use in VIII and IX.
    Because I don't think Princess Leia dying was in the cards, story wise, and I think we all agree that CGI is close, but still a few years off.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 6,432
    I want to see more of Snoke.

Will be interesting to see what the none hologram version of Snoke is like
    She filmed everything for episode VIII, and everyone says there's a lot of footage because Leia had a bigger role.
    Seems to me they'd better take a step back and organize all that footage to use in VIII and IX.
    Because I don't think Princess Leia dying was in the cards, story wise, and I think we all agree that CGI is close, but still a few years off.

Agree it could be problematic if Leia is key to a possible Ben Solo redemption.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    And Carrie Fisher filmed all her scenes in the next one before she died ?
    Han Solo's death doesnt seem to make much impact ..
    Rumours Episode 8 will open with Hans funeral.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    At least they've already confirmed that they won't take the CG route for Carrie Fisher in Episode IX.
    The biggest regret I have about Han dying in VII (besides the simple fact that I'll miss him) is that we won't see Han, Chewie, Luke & Leia together again.
    Seeing Luke meet Han again was something I especially would have loved.
    I wonder if Luke will feel responsible for Han dying- I mean, if he was around, things certainly would have gone differently.

I'm very excited to see where VIII goes!
  • She filmed everything for episode VIII, and everyone says there's a lot of footage because Leia had a bigger role.

That's actually a good idea (if there really is a lot of footage of Leia) to work at least a scene or two of her into IX. They've fortunately said they aren't going to recreate Leia digitally. We can all breathe a huge sigh of relief there.
    The death scene was very powerful. But some are always insensitive, of course. Will only feel it if you beat your hammer against one or both of their testicles.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The death scene was very powerful. But some are always insensitive, of course. Will only feel it if you beat your hammer against one or both of their testicles.

Couldn't help wincing at that one. Whew.
    It would have been a special moment and this transcends the films if we had seen Luke, Leia and Han together just for one scene.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited March 2017 Posts: 4,043
    How old are you, @Shardlake?

I saw Star Wars 1977 on original release aged 5.

edited March 2017 Posts: 45,489
    I am older than you then. You probably thought Muppets and SW were equally cool.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited March 2017 Posts: 7,314
    I'm 38 and ROTJ is the first movie I can remember seeing at the theater. Of course, I absolutely loved it at the time. As an adult, I can obviously see its flaws, but it will always hold a special place in my heart. Talking with older family members throughout the years, some (although not all) have said it was something of a disappointment at the time compared to the first two, so I can understand where you're coming from @Thunderfinger. Do you really think it's worse than TPM though???

Anyway, ROTJ had the potential to be much more. A planet full of Wookies instead of Ewoks, but it was easier to find short people than giants. Yoda facing off against the Emperor, but the technology at the time wouldn't allow it. Of course, both ideas eventually made their way into ROTS. Luke and Leia weren't originally intended to be related, but Lucas felt it was the easiest way to tie up loose ends.

And Ford wanted Solo to die, to make it more like a real war, that sacrifices had to be made to defeat the Empire. Perhaps he has a point and someone should have died, but we just spent the first 40 minutes of the movie rescuing Han from Jabba's palace! All that time and effort only to have him meet his end a little later in the film? No, if he was going to die, then they should have killed him off in TESB. I actually agree with Lucas on that one.
    Return of the Jedi one of the first films I watched at the cinema was a great experience.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited March 2017 Posts: 4,043
    I am older than you then. You probably thought Muppets and SW were equally cool.

To be honest it was Bond then Star Wars, I remember enjoying the Muppets but it wasn't something I adored.

If you are older than me and you like the prequels then you are in a small majority because pretty much everyone I know my age and older share my same opinion.

They sucked big time.

ROTJ was definitely a drop on the first 2 especially Empire but the prequels were a new low, I hate Kingdom of The Crystal Skull as well, pretty much on the same level as those films.

TFA wasn't a masterpiece but it was the first time since Empire ( I never saw ROTJ at the cinema) I walked out the cinema after watching a SW film that I had a smile on my face and wasn't embarassed.

I enjoyed R1 slightly more, I'm hoping The Last Jedi will be the SW film we've been waiting for.

I don't like many blockbusters anymore, certainly don't enjoy all the this comic book stuff, so it's a rarity I get excited about popcorn films, SPECTRE was a huge disappointment.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited March 2017 Posts: 8,087
    Shardlake wrote: »

To be honest it was Bond then Star Wars, I remember enjoying the Muppets but it wasn't something I adored.

If you are older than me and you like the prequels then you are in a small majority because pretty much everyone I know my age and older share my same opinion.

They sucked big time.

ROTJ was definitely a drop on the first 2 especially Empire but the prequels were a new low, I hate Kingdom of The Crystal Skull as well, pretty much on the same level as those films.

TFA wasn't a masterpiece but it was the first time since Empire ( I never saw ROTJ at the cinema) I walked out the cinema after watching a SW film that I had a smile on my face and wasn't embarassed.

I enjoyed R1 slightly more, I'm hoping The Last Jedi will be the SW film we've been waiting for.

I don't like many blockbusters anymore, certainly don't enjoy all the this comic book stuff, so it's a rarity I get excited about popcorn films, SPECTRE was a huge disappointment.

And hopefully B25 is the Bond film we've been waiting for, too!
    I know I am in a minority, and I loved Crystal Skull as well.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I didn't hate it. Sometimes the magic can't be recaptured after 20 years.
    :| ....... :-O Oh my GOD =))

17457823_1825838767739789_7375112327189258229_n.jpg?oh=7477f3c74324139cc04620e3aee38301&oe=595B5EE4
    BB8, I am your tweeetdrrrrooot.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I know I am in a minority, and I loved Crystal Skull as well.
    I found it ok. Cate was outstanding as always. If only they hadn't hired that flavour of the month chump LaBeouf it would have been a better film all round in my view.
    I even like La Boeuf.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    :| ....... :-O Oh my GOD =))

17457823_1825838767739789_7375112327189258229_n.jpg?oh=7477f3c74324139cc04620e3aee38301&oe=595B5EE4

I'll never be able to watch A New Hope the same way again.