Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Well, it definitely didn't help matters, but how much it hurt is anyone's guess.
    Maybe that was the straw that broke the robot camel's back.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I have only seen one film each by Trevorrow and Johnson. Jurassic World, which was really really bad, and Looper, which was really really good.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    It sounds like the major reason he got fired was because he was difficult to work with.

“During the making of Jurassic World, he focused a great deal of his creative energies on asserting his opinion,” the executive explains. “But because he had been personally hired by Spielberg, nobody could say, ‘You’re fired.’ Once that film went through the roof and he chose to do Henry, [Trevorrow] was unbearable. He had an egotistical point of view— and he was always asserting that.”
    “When the reviews for Book of Henry came out, there was immediately conjecture that Kathy was going to dump him because they weren’t thrilled with working with him anyway,” the executive continues. “He’s a difficult guy. He’s really, really, really confident. Let’s call it that.”

http://www.vulture.com/2017/09/star-wars-episode-8-colin-trevorrow-firing-explanation.html
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    It sounds like the major reason he got fired was because he was difficult to work with.

“During the making of Jurassic World, he focused a great deal of his creative energies on asserting his opinion,” the executive explains. “But because he had been personally hired by Spielberg, nobody could say, ‘You’re fired.’ Once that film went through the roof and he chose to do Henry, [Trevorrow] was unbearable. He had an egotistical point of view— and he was always asserting that.”
    “When the reviews for Book of Henry came out, there was immediately conjecture that Kathy was going to dump him because they weren’t thrilled with working with him anyway,” the executive continues. “He’s a difficult guy. He’s really, really, really confident. Let’s call it that.”

http://www.vulture.com/2017/09/star-wars-episode-8-colin-trevorrow-firing-explanation.html

Interesting read would appear they were looking for an excuse to get rid of Trevorrow
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    At least this one didn't get 70% of the way through shooting before he was tossed. Happy he doesn't have the gig, not a fan of his work.
    I'm glad he doesn't have the job anymore too. He doesn't have enough movies under his belt for me to feel confident in him doing a good job. While I like Jurassic World, it's not enough for me to feel comfortable in his ability to do a good job.
    Rian Johnson is currently not in the running for 'Episode IX':

http://www.slashfilm.com/rian-johnson-star-wars-episode-9/#more-440322
  • RC7RC7
    edited September 2017 Posts: 10,512
    Sorry if this has been posted/discussed already.

I was reading a little on Snoke's potential for EP:VIII and came across this comment from Johnson.

"We got the whole story of Palpatine’s rise to power in the prequels, but in the original films, he's exactly what he needs to be, which is just ‘The Emperor’," Johnson explained. "He's a dark force: the scary thing behind the thing. That was entirely how I approached Snoke. I wasn't interested in explaining where he came from or telling his history, except where it serves this story.”

This should be the standard MO for dealing with these sorts of characters, but in a world obsessed with wringing every little drop of unnecessary backstory from once enigmatic figures, it's really refreshing to read. If only someone with Johnson's basic smarts for approaching villainous threats had been hovering around EON during SP development then we might've got the Blofeld we deserve.
    RC7 wrote: »

I was reading a little on Snoke's potential for EP:VIII and came across this comment from Johnson.

"We got the whole story of Palpatine’s rise to power in the prequels, but in the original films, he's exactly what he needs to be, which is just ‘The Emperor’," Johnson explained. "He's a dark force: the scary thing behind the thing. That was entirely how I approached Snoke. I wasn't interested in explaining where he came from or telling his history, except where it serves this story.”

This should be the standard MO for dealing with these sorts of characters, but in a world obsessed with wringing every little drop of unnecessary backstory from once enigmatic figures, it's really refreshing to read. If only someone with Johnson's basic smarts for approaching villainous threats had been hovering around EON during SP development then we might've got the Blofeld we deserve.

Incredibly refreshing in a world that demands prequels and backstories for every cinematic character in existence. I'm sure that air of mystery in 'Episode VIII' will lead to inevitable complaints since we don't know every single bit about the character, too.
    Maybe Snoke was jealous of Yoda in boyscout camp? We need to know!
    RC7 wrote: »

That's actually nice to hear. I'm a big Star Wars fan, so of course I want to know his background but we don't need to see it on the big screen, except maybe in some dialogue. I'm okay with that story being told in the form of a book or video game.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    J.J. Abrams confirmed to write & direct Star Wars Episode 9.
    J.J. Abrams confirmed to write & direct Star Wars Episode 9.

Wondered the same thing a week ago, happy he is the one to return. I enjoyed the hell out of TFA.
    JJ is back in the directors chair for Episode 9! Very smart decision
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I don't so much mind him directing as I do writing. No more copying please.
    Abrams is a fine choice. He did better with Star Wars than Star Trek.
    I'm happy to hear the news! Abrams did a fine job with The Force Awakens. I'm sure he won't make Episode IX as close to Return of the Jedi as he did with The Force Awakens to A New Hope. I'm sure he heard all those complaints.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Great news! Looking forward to it. :-bd
    I'm happy to hear the news! Abrams did a fine job with The Force Awakens. I'm sure he won't make Episode IX as close to Return of the Jedi as he did with The Force Awakens to A New Hope. I'm sure he heard all those complaints.

REVENGE OF THE EWOKS?

REVENGE OF THE EWOKS?

If that doesn't happen, I ain't watching it.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The Revenge of the Keenser? ;)
    350?cb=20090601092349&path-prefix=en
    Star Wars and Star Trek crossover!!!
    Return of the Jedi went wrong long before the ewok scenes.
    maxresdefault.jpg
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 1,965
    Episode 9 release date got delayed until December 2019

Bond 25 got some competition
    Good choice of Director in JJ Abrams.
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Episode 9 release date got delayed until December 2019

Bond 25 got some competition

True, but Bond will still perform well.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    STAR WARS: EPISODE IX
    LENS FLARE RISING
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 2,107
    Excellent...

88d60b9f0162fbf48b4d3898cef77a52d9f39f86c1905d8d6048d4049662697a.jpg

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror.

This is a good news for someone who actually likes TFA. I had a hunch JJ would get the gig.

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    J.J. Abrams is a safe choice for episode IX
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'm very happy with the news of Abrams. It should be a killer film.