Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    star-wars-berkey.jpg
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    New trailer for TLJ classified by BBFC, set to drop soon:

http://makingstarwars.net/2017/06/new-trailer-for-the-last-jedi-set-to-drop-soon/
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I have a really bad feeling about this.

Not that I had a good one in the first place.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Wow, and it has a May 2018 release date.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited June 2017 Posts: 1,257
    Creasy47 wrote: »

It's hard to get upset when I never really cared about this film in the first place. Just scrap the whole thing and GIVE US THE DAMN OBI-WAN FILM!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited June 2017 Posts: 7,980
    Here is the real reason.........Supposedly ;)

It sounds plausable.

http://lrmonline.com/news/star-wars-why-han-solo-directors-phil-lord-chris-miller-were-fired
    Can only be for the better.
    I would love Kasden to direct, he is one clever chap, what a CV!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    patb wrote: »
    I would love Kasden to direct, he is one clever chap, what a CV!

Agreed. Even as a director he can shine; 'The Big Chill' is one of my favorites.
    This is really an unmitigated disaster.

I can’t recall a film in recent memory that has gone through a more turbulent event. Why couldn’t they have noticed this issue and dealt with it earlier? Lord and Miller should have been fired months before production if they suspected issues.

Alternatively, they should have let them stick it out and got someone else to do the reshoots. I can’t imagine the amount of union red tape the studio are about to get themselves in.

Sadly, as we see franchise films take over, we are slowly seeing how the sausage is made. It’s clear artistic merit is second to business interests. There has to be a Han Solo film because it means $$$$ - the thought of a Lord & Miller version is massively exciting, but even without them involved the sausage has to be produced. The multinational interests of the Disney corporation was so breathtakingly transparent here. Couldn’t they have at least dressed this story up a bit?

Kathy Kennedy is doing a woeful job. Her Boba Fett film died on the vine, half of Rogue One had to be reshot by Tony Gilroy, and now this.

Time for her to step down.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Sadly, as we see franchise films take over, we are slowly seeing how the sausage is made. It’s clear artistic merit is second to business interests.
    Absolutely, and that affects EON as well. Hence the overuse of Astons, Omegas and other sponsorship. Don't be surprised if we see more visible minorities in B25. At the end of the day, there is pressure for 'worldwide' box office gross (top line) in addition to net profit (bottom line).
    bondjames wrote: »
    Sadly, as we see franchise films take over, we are slowly seeing how the sausage is made. It’s clear artistic merit is second to business interests.
    Absolutely, and that affects EON as well. Hence the overuse of Astons, Omegas and other sponsorship. Don't be surprised if we see more visible minorities in B25. At the end of the day, there is pressure for 'worldwide' box office gross (top line) in addition to net profit (bottom line).

This stuff was always implicit. We knew there was a “business” taking place in the background. After all there is a reason these movies cost hundreds of millions of dollars.
    But I suppose we operated under the veneer that the studios had the artistic integrity of these films in mind. Appointing folk like Sam Mendes, Rian Johnson, Joss Whedon, etc, would suggest that is the case. But it’s clear that it is all really an illusion to give some degree of credibility to their corporate interest.
    You raise an interesting point – the reason why these huge films don’t get delayed is because of the amount of external stakeholder investment. For example, some films are a mess. Any other studio would order reshoots to get the best possible product. Even if it meant delaying the film. BUT…because stakeholders, financial partners (eg; product placement) have all invested in a film with a release date, you can’t budge as it ruins their financial projections.
    Suicide Squad is a perfect example – someone thought it was a cool concept – ordered a script (which David Ayer produced in 6 weeks) and set a release date. Once the release date was set up, the film couldn’t budge, even though everyone knew it was a mess. So what are we left with in the interests of posterity? A pretty awful movie.
    My only interest in Han Solo was Lord & Miller, without them, I couldn’t care less. Can this film just disappear? I’m not a Star Wars fan – I came to it too late to it. I didn’t care for Rogue One but really liked Force Awakens. The Han Solo film was the only one that seems up my street – because I really liked the Lego Movie and the Jump Street films.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

I can’t recall a film in recent memory that has gone through a more turbulent event.

DC's lost like four directors and Suicide Squad was made. Where were you when that news happened?

It's depressing that the Han Solo film has lost its directors, yes, but maybe there's a light at the end of this tunnel. I'll give this situation the benefit of the doubt.

This stuff was always implicit. We knew there was a “business” taking place in the background. After all there is a reason these movies cost hundreds of millions of dollars.
    But I suppose we operated under the veneer that the studios had the artistic integrity of these films in mind. Appointing folk like Sam Mendes, Rian Johnson, Joss Whedon, etc, would suggest that is the case. But it’s clear that it is all really an illusion to give some degree of credibility to their corporate interest.
    You raise an interesting point – the reason why these huge films don’t get delayed is because of the amount of external stakeholder investment. For example, some films are a mess. Any other studio would order reshoots to get the best possible product. Even if it meant delaying the film. BUT…because stakeholders, financial partners (eg; product placement) have all invested in a film with a release date, you can’t budge as it ruins their financial projections.
    Suicide Squad is a perfect example – someone thought it was a cool concept – ordered a script (which David Ayer produced in 6 weeks) and set a release date. Once the release date was set up, the film couldn’t budge, even though everyone knew it was a mess. So what are we left with in the interests of posterity? A pretty awful movie.
    My only interest in Han Solo was Lord & Miller, without them, I couldn’t care less. Can this film just disappear? I’m not a Star Wars fan – I came to it too late to it. I didn’t care for Rogue One but really liked Force Awakens. The Han Solo film was the only one that seems up my street – because I really liked the Lego Movie and the Jump Street films.
    Yes, I agree with you on this. I think the commercial pressure is taking its toll on the creative team. They're trying to push a film out a year which is quite difficult to do given the size of these productions. Moreover, I can imagine that these 'standalone' films are quite difficult to make, because they don't follow the general continuity. There is a 'what's the point' element to the whole thing.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 4,813
    Ron Howard is stepping in! There's hope yet!
    I doubt he'll shape it too heavily, since the film had already been shooting for months. Wonder how different the rest of shooting + reshoots will go.
    Ron Howard. As if a Han Solo movie wasn´t desastrous enough.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    If I was Howard I'd stay as far away from this thing as I possibly could!
  • RC7RC7
    And people want EON to run the show like this. These 'universes' are going to swallow themselves whole. Thankfully EON has the ability to go back to standalone event movies without any fuss.
    RC7 wrote: »
    Thankfully EON has the ability to go back to standalone event movies without any fuss.
    It can't happen soon enough as far as I'm concerned.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Thankfully EON has the ability to go back to standalone event movies without any fuss.
    It can't happen soon enough as far as I'm concerned.

As soon as MGM can pick a distributor, B25 will fly out of the gates.
    So it sounds like the original directors were trying to make a comedy.
    What's the one thing I consistently rag on when it comes to my action movies lately? Too many damn jokes!

I think this will be a good change.
  • RC7RC7
    edited June 2017 Posts: 10,512
    So it sounds like the original directors were trying to make a comedy.
    What's the one thing I consistently rag on when it comes to my action movies lately? Too many damn jokes!

I think this will be a good change.

They hired the guys that made the Jump Streets and The Lego Movie. There's a very clear sensibility there. Bad management from above.

They shouldn't be making the movie anyway. No one wants it. Perhaps it's a wake up call to not continue milking the myth to death.
    And people want EON to run the show like this. These 'universes' are going to swallow themselves whole. Thankfully EON has the ability to go back to standalone event movies without any fuss.

This is exactly why I don't want Disney acquiring the rights. I can already see the countless trainwreck-production spinoffs.
  • RC7RC7
    Creasy47 wrote: »

This is exactly why I don't want Disney acquiring the rights. I can already see the countless trainwreck-production spinoffs.

Exactly. I get people's issues with EON (to a point), but it's a case of the grass not always being greener. They will never be consistent, but they always come good when it matters and I'm happy with that. The alternative is to see the thing I'm most passionate about in my life reduced to a soulless carcass. A procession of bang average entries, rather than a mix of the quirky. the bizarre, the average, but also the incredible. Wanting EON to hand over the rights is like wanting a long established grocer to sell to Tesco.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Apparently the crew of the untitled Han Solo film broke into applause when they were told that Ron Howard was taking over. One of the big issues with Lord and Miller was that they like improvisational style and wouldn't prepare early enough to be able to tell the crew what to do.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-han-solo-movie-firing-new-details-behind-phil-lord-chris-miller-exit-1016619

I for one am happy they are not part of this anymore. Han Solo doesn't need to be a comedy.
    June 26, 4:15 p.m. A previous version of this article stated that the crew of the Han Solo spinoff broke into applause following the announcement of Ron Howard as director. In fact, these sources say the applause came at the end of the meeting in which the departure of Lord and Miller was announced and they were informed a new director would be arriving. These sources say the mood at the meeting was somber but there was applause "in support of the movie" (not in support of Lord and Miller's departure).
  • @patb, sounds perfectly reasonable. But "Crew Supports Film Through Thick and Thin" does not a juicy headline make! ;)

As I see it, no one here has ever said so. What people are hoping for is that EON applies as much forethought and planning to the Bond franchise as Disney and, of course, Marvel. And you can argue otherwise until the cows come home but I don't see it existing at the EON of present. You can't blame it all on MGM or writer strikes. Come to think of it especially right of writer strikes. What I would expect from a competent producer is, that he had the complete script ready to read and approve months before the actual filming starts, so that such triffles like writer strikes wouldn't even touch the production.