Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• That's probably how I'd rank em too, @fire_and_ice, but I'd probably give a bit more credit to TFA. Better than Rogue Snooze One More Hour at least.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    TFA
    the good- harrison ford?
    -the effects
    -nothing else really

the bad- the story
    -its is just a copy and paste
    - the villains are crap
    -the heroes are crap
    - theirs no stand out action sequence
    - the lightsaber battle at the end is lackluster
    - boring

Rogue one
    the good- coherent plot
    -great action sequences
    -kept me entertained
    -ok heroes
    -good villains
    -the effects

the bad
    -not enough vader

In my opinion, rogue one isnt perfect and I see why people dont like it, but it is far superior to the force awakens
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I expect TFA to be treated more fairly after we've seen TLJ.

I think Daisy Ridley, Oscar Isaacs and John Boyega are excellent. Poe Dameron in particular is a character I hope we can explore some more. Maz Kanata is a fine addition too--I particularly liked her in the Aftermath: Life Debt book, where she had a cameo. And of course BB-8... what a wonderful little droid!

The action scenes are very cool, especially the ones on Jakku. A "space battle" over land so to speak, with TIE's and the Falcon, and later with X-Wings. The effects are stunning.

I also truly like Williams' music.

The story doesn't bother me at all. Yes, it's more or less structured the same way as Star Wars but so what. MR and TSWLM are one and the same too, and so are Jurassic Park and Jurassic World. What about Terminator: Genysis? I mean, it's clearly the easiest way to do things nowadays: whip out a trusted formula and go with it. Well, I guess TFA takes a lot from Star Wars, but there is freshness here and we'll no doubt get more of that by the end of this year.

I like TFA and RO both. I'm not sure we should be overly critical of SW. It's ultimately a theme park ride under thick layers of fantasy myth building, full of stereotypes and repeated beats. I'm not down with a 'Godfather' or 'Citizen Kane' SW.
    TFA
    the bad- the story
    - the villains are crap
    -the heroes are crap
    - theirs no stand out action sequence
    - the lightsaber battle at the end is lackluster
    - boring

Not the most mature assessment.
    Why are the villains "crap"? Who knows, it might just be revealed that Snoke is far more sinister than we think. I'm glad they don't want to spoil it all at once. And surely the heroes aren't "crap". In what sense are they "crap"? The actors perform well, they bring those same "faster and more intense" beats from Star Wars to the game, there's a lot of background stuff we can and will explore in the next film(s)--and in fact in the comics too... Again, Daisy Ridley acts with stamina and a warm intensity. I find all three of our main heroes acting a lot better here than Ford, Fisher and Hamill in '77.
    I enjoy TFA though it's playing it very safe for the most part, also JJ's frantic style masks some really bad Plot holes and nonsensical script.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I loved TFA, had a blast watching it, even if it did play it pretty safe. Looking forward to TLJ but I'm not obsessing over it, don't want to get terribly high expectations.
    I was pretty disappointed in Rogue One myself; much prefer TFA. My ranking right now:

1. Empire Strikes Back
    2. Revenge of the Sith
    3. Return of the Jedi
    4. Star Wars / A New Hope
    5. The Force Awakens
    6. Attack of the Clones
    7. The Phantom Menace
    8. Rogue One
    @FoxRox, that's exactly how I feel. I wasn't impressed with 'Rogue One' at all, but was completely into TFA when I first saw it and loved it.
    TLJ should open things up alot story wise and give the audience a more complex film hopefully.
    Another look at the characters from the new Vanity Fair issue:

http://collider.com/star-wars-the-last-jedi-vanity-fair-covers/
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I love every single one of them. If I see these in a store it'll be very tempting to buy all of them.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 40,371
    Even more images from the Vanity Fair issue, with a first look at Benicio del Toro and Laura Dern's character:

http://collider.com/star-wars-the-last-jedi-images/
    The two of Fisher, with Hamill and her daughter, damn near brought a tear to my eyes.
    Of course the ones with Daisy had me drooling.
    Benicio looks sly as hell.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2017 Posts: 15,686
    Star Wars was released on this day 40 years ago, on May 25 1977.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It didn t premiere here until December (those were different times!) but I remember very well the insane queue. Hardly ever saw anything like it.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I'm celebrating May 25th by watching - yes - VHS copies of the original trilogy. I still have a VCR for this very reason.
    I wrote a column for the newspaper I work for about the 40th anniversary, about how it took a month after the premiere date to make it here as release patterns were different 40 years ago and what an experience it was to see Star Wars, as I'll always know it as, for the first time.

It would be hard for younger people to understand since a new blockbuster comes out every week or so, but the first Star Wars film was unlike anything we'd seen and was such a mind-blowing experience.
    The photo of Daisy running with Light Sabre is awesome
    Mark Hamill "fundamentally disagreed" with every decision Rian Johnson made regarding his character in 'The Last Jedi':

http://www.slashfilm.com/mark-hamill-rian-johnson-disagreement/#more-418896
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited May 2017 Posts: 7,969
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Mark Hamill "fundamentally disagreed" with every decision Rian Johnson made regarding his character in 'The Last Jedi':

http://www.slashfilm.com/mark-hamill-rian-johnson-disagreement/#more-418896

Woah!?
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 6,432
    Hamill wanted Luke to turn to the Dark side, he discussed it on Table for Five.

Go to 11:00
    Calling it now
    Luke is Darth Plagueis sympathiser
    that could be the big reveal in TLJ
    New set photo from the 'Han Solo' movie:

solo-set-1000266.jpg

solo-set-1000266.jpg

I wonder if that's where baby Han Solo grew up ;)

solo-set-1000266.jpg

I wonder if that's where baby Han Solo grew up ;)

Does that really matter he ended up with a scary father in law good for him he was dead by that time. ;) That must top any place of birth.
    For my fellow Star Wars fans and gamers. The new Star Wars Battlefront II looks amazing and so much better than the first.

I'll likely be on the fence with this one until I get a chance to play it myself. Loved the first one when it initially released, until they updated/patched the game and made it feel like something else entirely after a while. No season pass is a great thing, but the inclusion of microtransactions, regardless of how much they preach that it won't be "pay to win," still doesn't sit right with me.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    People will still use it for pay-to-win regardless, just to be at the top of the leaderboard. The addition of a single-player campaign is the best part for me.
    :))

19225896_843221429158296_4676846376043308938_n.png?oh=08084603578cf8fd102fabb7b719b283&oe=59A1BC70