SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    bondjames wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    Thank god Bond is not as dependent on NA as it used to be. For years the reliance on NA distorted the series, taking it in directions I wish it hadn't gone down (Brosnan). Now we have a healthy global market for Bond I believe that frees EON to be more adventurous. If EON do things right, then the next era could be even better than Craig's
    I hope so, but I actually have my doubts. The increase in the foreign language market encourages less complex dialogue due to translation difficulties (with the subtleties of language) and also encourages more 'wam bam' action. I don't think that a film like CR will play all that well in foreign markets.

I agree in general but I actually think this works to Bond's advantage. Bond doesn't require complex dialogue. Much of the best dialogue in the films has always been very tightly scripted - short, pithy exchanges, full of wit. Action is not a problem for Bond either, although we obviously don't want too much.

SF is hardly an action fest and look how it did internationally.

I think Bond is well placed to conquer the world and still do it on his own terms.
    I don't really know if Bondian wit necessarily translates well into all languages. Some of the sarcasm may not work all that well. Some of the jokes may be too subtle. Particularly the CR type (which I really enjoyed).

It gets complicated when relying on foreign markets for box office gross.

I agree however that overreliance on the US market was not a good idea. Even then, they didn't need to go to the lowest commone denominator like they did from 1997-2002. There are ways to appeal to the American market without pissing all over the franchise in the process. SF is a perfect example.

But why did Americans LOVE SF and were meh about SP? Can it be simply explained by the wave of Britishness that swept the world in 2012, after the royal wedding/Olympics?

Emotional resonance. Same with TDK. Americans love a bit of credible emotional drama. I don't think the Olympics had anything to do with SF's success in the US. That was more a British thing. It was all about connection at an emotional level. Also, Bardem's villain was just right for many (exaggerated without being camp and yet credibly hurt). The revenge plot just connected.

None of that has occurred with SP, and the action, moreover, is not 'best in class' for 2015. So it's 'just there' as a spy film. MI-RN did the action better and the plots are too close together and too close on release dates, so I think that hurts a little too (but not that much)....SP not doing so well is more on account of SP than because of anything else.

Keep in mind that SF was the outlier, like TDK. SP is doing as well as other Bond films from the past in the US (maybe better).
    If I am correct, the HG franchise is not that massive in the UK either, so SPECTRE should continue to make good money here into December. I think it could match the SF total, depend on how much it is affected by SW7.

Hunger Games in UK, is virtually a non-entity.......well with adults it is.
    Also read today that the latest Hunger Games film had a mediocre BO take in its previews on its opening in China.......that should help SP out this weekend!

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    mepal1 wrote: »
    If I am correct, the HG franchise is not that massive in the UK either, so SPECTRE should continue to make good money here into December. I think it could match the SF total, depend on how much it is affected by SW7.

Also read today that the latest Hunger Games film had a mediocre BO take in its previews on its opening in China.......that should help SP out this weekend!

HG will be big in NA so gearing up for Bond to make umm "Peanuts"
  • mcdonbb wrote: »
    Americans getting blamed for the performance and not EON's half assed job is getting increasingly annoying.

It's only a dozen of posters here (but very vocal indeed !) and notice they're the kind who simply can't write "I don't know why" :)
  • mcdonbb wrote: »

Back in 2012 "Twilight" destroyed "Skyfall"s opening weekend (€140 Million against SF's €88 Million I believe). But like many young adult movies they don't have the longevity, legs, holdover that Bond films have.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Yes, James Bonds appeals to older audiences who don't necessarily rush out on opening weekend, but find time days or weeks after release.
    mcdonbb wrote: »

Back in 2012 "Twilight" destroyed "Skyfall"s opening weekend (€140 Million against SF's €88 Million I believe). But like many young adult movies they don't have the longevity, legs, holdover that Bond films have.

The Twilight film opened up on SF's 2nd weekend in 2012 in the US.
    That's one reason why SF had such a high opening, and despite dropping heavily in its 2nd weekend, SF still managed over $40 mil............eventually SF re-overtook the Twilight film.

I keep reading that Hunger Games is huge but I'd never even heard of it until this thread. Let alone they did three previous films!
    North American BO update for SP:-

Wed:- $2,383,058 ............ running total $137,042,589
    edited November 2015 Posts: 4,116
    HG is more of a NA thing. Broader appeal than Twilight and not strictly a teen flick by any means.

An acquired taste .. if the films had been British then the Brits would most likely be claiming its the best thing ever.

NA doesn't really thing in those terms hence the success of SP and Bond. And yes despite the drop SP is successful here especially given the mixed reviews.
    An acquired taste .. if the films had been British then the Brits would most likely be claiming its the best thing ever.

Unlikely because we're not prone to proclaiming anything as the best thing ever. Worst ever, maybe.
    Cowley wrote: »

Unlikely because we're not prone to proclaiming anything as the best thing ever. Worst ever, maybe.

Perhaps. I have to jab back now and then. :).
    I think SP could make up to 25 million dollars in China this weekend, bring the China total close to the big 100 million.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 486

Why not, keeps things lively ;)

I'm just not in the right age group to have heard of Hunger Games, whereas I couldn't escape Twilight as so many women I worked with liked their fix of 'dark romance' lol!

I'm just not in the right age group to have heard of Hunger Games, whereas I couldn't escape Twilight as so many women I worked with liked their fix of 'dark romance' lol!

I've escaped Twilight thank goodness. I stumbled on HG on DVD by chance and liked it. I would not have seen it otherwise.

I've only watched the HG movies on DVD/Blu-Ray ..never in the cinema.

........Twilight films.........awful........i believe that franchise is finished?

I think SP could make up to 25 million dollars in China this weekend, bring the China total close to the big 100 million.

Hope so, from what i've read from Chinese people on film forums, is that the HG films, are not a big deal in China, so hopefully SP should have a good 2nd weekend.

I first thought Hunger Games was a political\spy drama must have been thinking of Patriot games or something!

I guess this weekend's box office performance for SP is going to be interesting and quite telling for all territories.

It's funny to think it hasn't even been out a month and yet feels like it's been at the cinema a long time already.
    I know. I'm hoping it does respectable for a third weekend.
    I've escaped Twilight thank goodness. I stumbled on HG on DVD by chance and liked it. I would not have seen it otherwise.

@mcdonbb, what do you think of HG 2 & 3? I've only seen 1 and have heard mixed comments here about the follow up ones.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 1,098
    Yep, well by my reckoning, SP should be somewhere around the $600 mil mark, end of Thursday.............and by the end of the weekend be somewhere between $675-700 mil
    worldwide ?............hopefully.
    I believe film opens in India this weekend.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883

Well, I remember a 'CAR' magazine front page cover from years back that had a Jaguar XJ on the front proudly proclaiming "The Best Car In The World is British!"

Being a fan of the German machines (Mercedes-Benz, BMW) and knowing the inferiority of the Jag from a technological perspective, I had a chuckle.

I get your point though. Modesty is an English virtue.
  • mepal1 wrote: »
    Yep, well by my reckoning, SP should be somewhere around the $600 mil mark, end of Thursday.............and by the end of the weekend be somewhere between $675-700 mil

I would say 660-670 million by the end of the weekend. 700 million may be too much.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 1,098

I would say 660-670 million by the end of the weekend. 700 million may be too much.

.............i did say hopefully...........which was aimed at the $700 mil figure :)

One thing no one has mentioned, is that the Thanksgiving holiday next week in North America will give SP a bit of a boost, and hence maybe film will have a similar weekend BO, as to the one we are just coming upto.

Nice. 15 mil prediction for this weekend. So after tonight and this weekend SP should be around 155 domestic. Pretty solid after only 17 days in release here.
    I am up to 4 viewings which is nothing compared to others on here. I've still got some more dollars to contribute though.
    Mi6 board member multiple admissions may push it over the top.
    SP grosses £0.68 mil $1 mil in UK on Thursday ...... i've lost track of the exact total, but it must be somewhere around £81 mil.......SP is definitely No.3 on all-time list now...........next target is 'Avatar', may take a bit of time to get there though.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 4,116

@mcdonbb, what do you think of HG 2 & 3? I've only seen 1 and have heard mixed comments here about the follow up ones.

I actually liked the sequels more. They had less of a teen vibe. The acting seemed to improve.

My comment @bondjames and @Cowley or really my jab was not appropriate. I was taking too much offence at the blame being hurled at NA for the lower BO performance. Lashed back at cousins :(..

I apologize.

Somewhat hypocritical for a Texan to complain about anybody being boastful.

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I've enjoyed the HG movies, particularly the second and third. My wife and I will see 4 on Saturday