SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

Before everyone jumps off the ledge.................i hear SP is doing very well at its Indian opening.........yet again mixed reviews in that market too..........but the film is heading for a big opening weekend there.........don't know the est' figure in dollars, as the Indian currency, is not that straightforward to convert, because the Indians announce their figures, not in ruples, but in multiples of ruples, to which they then give it another name........bleedin confusing!
    Anyway, overall Sony are expecting at the very least SP to of earned $670 mil worldwide, by the end of this weekend. Mind you $0 dollars of that will becoming from Belgium, as they have closed down there cinemas this weekend, on the grounds of safety, due to the recent terror events.
    How much did Skyfall get in Japan.
    Not long now!
    dandan wrote: »
    How much did Skyfall get in Japan.
    Not long now!

SF grossed $32,497,509 in Japan

that was a pretty high figure for Bond in Japan, most Bonds do in the region of $20+ mil
    I feel like I'm the only person not to have seen Spectre yet.
    Well, apart from lots of Japanese folk too!
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Again to @GG and others ..I'm sorry may not sound it but I did enjoy SP a lot.

I just wanted Bond to stay on top and deliver here in America as well as elsewhere.

I really need to see the film again. My kids enjoyed SP and my 11yo keeps singing WotW.

I think of @bondjames when she does lol :D
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    @mcdonbb, I evidently have to be careful with my commentary on SP here.

All I will say is I'm really happy that your 11 yr old enjoyed SP....and I'm not surprised WotW is being sung. My 4 yr old niece still belts out "Let it Go" (a similar falsetto classic, this time from Frozen) whenever I go to visit....I'm convinced it's because she knows I can't stand it.
    bondjames wrote: »
    @mcdonbb, I evidently have to be careful with my commentary on SP here.

All I will say is I'm really happy that your 11 yr old enjoyed SP....and I'm not surprised WotW is being sung. My 4 yr old niece still belts out "Let it Go" (a similar falsetto classic, this time from Frozen) whenever I go to visit....I'm convinced it's because she knows I can't stand it.

My thoughts are with you :(. I've heard my fair share of Let It Go and YouTube variations there of.

If it's any consolation, I like my daughter's version of WotW better.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 1,098
    UK BO update for SP

Sat.........£1.7 mil ($2.6 mil)............running total close to £83 mil ($125-126 mil)

So, early guess of around $128 mil by end of Sunday looks reasonable.
  • mepal1 wrote: »
    UK BO update for SP

Sat.........£1.7 mil ($2.6 mil)............running total close to £83 mil ($125-126 mil)

So, early guess of around $128 mil by end of Sunday looks reasonable.

After some extra thousands of British Pounds in March 2013, the final box office tally of "Skyfall" in the UK stood at $161,176,369 on March 3rd 2013. So let's see how things will develop :-).
    Before everyone jumps off the ledge.................i hear SP is doing very well at its Indian opening.........yet again mixed reviews in that market too..........but the film is heading for a big opening weekend there.........don't know the est' figure in dollars, as the Indian currency, is not that straightforward to convert, because the Indians announce their figures, not in ruples, but in multiples of ruples, to which they then give it another name........bleedin confusing!
    Anyway, overall Sony are expecting at the very least SP to of earned $670 mil worldwide, by the end of this weekend. Mind you $0 dollars of that will becoming from Belgium, as they have closed down there cinemas this weekend, on the grounds of safety, due to the recent terror events.
    I think Brussels is closed, but the rest of the country is open, isn´t it?. Anyway, 670 million is what I was expecting for this Sunday.

mepal1 wrote: »
    I think Brussels is closed, but the rest of the country is open, isn´t it?. Anyway, 670 million is what I was expecting for this Sunday.

Yes....i got carried away there.........just Brussels that was closed down!

SP still on course for a $14+ mil North America weekend...........film did est' $6.5 mil business on Sat.

We should get Chinese weekend figure for SP..........very soon!
    Is the Thanksgiving weekend a good thing for Bond do you think?
    Getafix wrote: »

Yes........coz it will give the film a good boost for a few days.........from Weds onwards, until the end of next weekend the grosses will be higher than they would be for the same days on a normal week.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Yes, definitely. Many older folks wait till then traditionally to see Bond. The only issue this year, as I mentioned before, is due to compressed release schedules, Bond is already out of some of the higher priced theatres this weekend, which can contribute to higher US $ gross.

Next weekend should still possibly be at par or slightly higher than this weekend, based on prior film's performance.
    Yes, definitely. Many older folks wait till then traditionally to see Bond. The only issue this year, as I mentioned before, is due to compressed release schedules, Bond is already out of some of the higher priced theatres this weekend, which can contribute to higher US $ gross.

Next weekend should still possibly be at par or slightly higher than this weekend, based on prior film's performance.

Exactly............after Thanksgiving SP would of passed CR and QOS's totals.........whether it will then crawl to a finish around $200 mil, is to be seen (hopefully).

Exactly............after Thanksgiving SP would of passed CR and QOS's totals.........whether it will then crawl to a finish around $200 mil, is to be seen (hopefully).

I hope so.
    There seems to be a failure to accept some people don't rate SP very highly. no excuses it's just not as accomplished a film as CR and SF.
    China.......BO update

Sunday.........$3,836,400 ..........running total $77,526,700.

Chinese BO followers say the film SP may not even reach $90 mil in their country.

The problem is, like other non-Bond territories, there wasn't that something special in the film to hold onto the audience.....hence word of mouth has been so-so.

Mind you it could of been worse HG-MJ2............has done very badly in China.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    edited November 2015 Posts: 2,495
    Despite some mixed reviews, Spectre has taken US$11,860,839 (AU$16,631,861) at the Australian box office.

boxofficemojo.com/intl/australia/?currency=local&yr=2015&p=.htm
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Despite some mixed reviews, Spectre has taken US$11,860,839 (AU$16,631,861) at the Australian box office.

How is SP faring in Australia compared to SF?

• edited November 2015 Posts: 11,119
    I was comparing "The Martian" with "SPECTRE" and how they are performing in the US.

After 17 days the box office total of "The Martian" stood at $138 Million.
    After 17 days the box office total of "SPECTRE" will stand at $155 Million.

The box office total of "The Martian" after 52 days (after this weekend) will stand at $213 Million.

So why can't the box office total for "SPECTRE" after 40 days, on December 17th, one day before "Star Wars 7" premieres, not be around $200 Million? And because of that, why can't "SPECTRE" gross around $230-$240 Million by the end of January / early February 2016?

I think that's entirely possible. Especially when we start taking into account upcoming Thanksgiving weekend.
  • Because it sucks! (Except it doesn't) ;-)
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Good points Gustav. One difference though is that The Martian had no competition throughout all of October. It was an incredibly dead month for movies in the US. The largest competition was Goosebumps, which has a very minor shared market between the two audiences.

The Martian has out-grossed SPECTRE every day from day 8-17 during their respective runs. Part of that is the limited competition for The Martian, the rest could be from the resounding positive reviews of The Martian leading to more people who were not anticipating seeing it at first to go see it. Where as many who are gonna see a Bond movie are likely to see it earlier in the run.

Thanksgiving should help, but from here on out SPECTRE will be facing tough competition in the US from Hunger Games to Creed to Star Wars, all having a market share with SPECTRE audiences. Skyfall ended up making an additional 12-13m in the US after the New Year, if SP can get a similar trickle in during the end of the run it might be able to eclipse 200 and further, I certainly hope so!
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Red_Snow wrote: »

How is SP faring in Australia compared to SF?

Not as well, SF opened with US$19,548,327 (AU$18,687,028) and it was up against 'Breaking Dawn Part 2' and 'Argo'. SP is up against 'The Dressmaker' and 'Mockingjay Part 2' which was just released.

China.......BO update

Sunday.........$3,836,400 ..........running total $77,526,700.

Chinese BO followers say the film SP may not even reach $90 mil in their country.

The problem is, like other non-Bond territories, there wasn't that something special in the film to hold onto the audience.....hence word of mouth has been so-so.

Mind you it could of been worse HG-MJ2............has done very badly in China.

Anything over 80 million is good, anything around 100 million would be amazing. It is a 2D movie and it is China. Next week, SP will sitll make some important money there. After that, maybe just 2 or 3 million more, 4 at most. So I would say 87-90 million as the most likely gross in China.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 4,116
    I was comparing "The Martian" with "SPECTRE" and how they are performing in the US.

After 17 days the box office total of "The Martian" stood at $138 Million.
    After 17 days the box office total of "SPECTRE" will stand at $155 Million.

The box office total of "The Martian" after 52 days (after this weekend) will stand at $213 Million.

So why can't the box office total for "SPECTRE" after 40 days, on December 17th, one day before "Star Wars 7" premieres, not be around $200 Million? And because of that, why can't "SPECTRE" gross around $230-$240 Million by the end of January / early February 2016?

I think that's entirely possible. Especially when we start taking into account upcoming Thanksgiving weekend.

I don't know ..guess let's see after Thanksgiving weekend. Hope it does break $200 million at least.

I guess that's the guess since SP had a larger opening weekend than The Martian. The later is getting good if mouth I think. I don't know I haven't kept up.
    We will find out in a few hours times the current worldwide total for SP..........and despite the factors going against the film.......its gonna still be a shed load of money..........and will of surpassed both CR and QOS.
  • HUNGER GAMES: MOCKINGJAY PT. 2 is the #1 film in North America debuting with $101M

• HUNGER GAMES: MOCKINGJAY PT. 2 is the #1 film in North America debuting with $101M

Which is like $25 Millions off from initial predictions that it would gross a $125 Million opening weekend :-). Which is understandable. I think "Hunger Games 3: Mockingjay Part 1" was the nail on the coffin. What a bloated piece of fake crying.
    HUNGER GAMES: MOCKINGJAY PT. 2 is the #1 film in North America debuting with $101M

Which is like $25 Millions off from initial predictions that it would gross a $125 Million opening weekend :-). Which is understandable. I think "Hunger Games 3: Mockingjay Part 1" was the nail on the coffin. What a bloated piece of fake crying.

Exactly........MJ2 is dropping like a lead weight, after its initial performances.

When one looks at the current BO of films in the worldwide market......its only Bond that is progressing strongly from week to week.........and there will still be strong grosses to be had upto Xmas.

Even in the North American market, recent releases apart from Bond are failing big time.

SP is still gonna end up with a huge worldwide gross, which should cover its production and marketing cost................then we have the home sales market next year, which will add tremendously to the earnings of the film.