SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Thanks @mcdonbb & @Last_Rat_Standing.

That does it then - I'll buy them all on blu ray and then take in the new one at the cinema either this week or next (along with Spotlight, which I really want to see as well).
    SP in China...........boxoffice Friday

Days gross = $2,751,500 ............ running total $68,227,900

Film down to 4th place, though only fractionally behind the 2nd and 3rd films.

Latest HG film top.........but nothing special about its opening.

SP does appear to of lost quite a lot of screens..........looks like film now, will be lucky to get to $100 mil......but we will see!
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 11,119
    http://www.boxofficechina.com/beta/2015-11-20
    "The Hunger Games 4: Mockingjay Part 2" disappoints on Friday in China. It entered the Chinese charts at no#1, but with a rather lacklustre $4,473,200 / $4.5 Million. In comparison: "SPECTRE" opened with $14.2 Million last Friday.

"James Bond 24: SPECTRE" did fall to 4th place, but the difference between no# 2 and no# 3, both of which are Chinese productions, is negligible. Actually, amount-wise it follows "Hunger Games 4" very closely with a gross of $2,751,500 / $2.8 Million. Which for Chinese standards is a pretty good holdover.

Total Chinese gross for "SPECTRE" now stands at: $68,227,900 / $68.2 Million. If the movie holds better than "Mission: Impossible 5 - Rogue Nation" did, then "SPECTRE" is on course to gross around $120 Million in China. By comparison: "Kingsman: The Secret Service" had an opening weekend of $22.5 Million in China and went on to gross $74.7 Million.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Wait, how can they already have figures for friday? Do you mean thursday? :-?
  • Wait, how can they already have figures for friday? Do you mean thursday? :-?

It's 7 hours later there. It's 11:05 PM now in China. And like boxoffice.com and boxofficemojo.com they are rather accurate estimates.
  • I think it has been a disappointing Friday for Spectre, too. I´m afraid the 100 million goal is very optimistic now.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Cowley wrote: »
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    An acquired taste .. if the films had been British then the Brits would most likely be claiming its the best thing ever.

Unlikely because we're not prone to proclaiming anything as the best thing ever. Worst ever, maybe.

So all the best is behind you?
    SPECTRE box office thursday North America: $2,060,290
    Current total North America: $139,102,879
    25,2% of the total gross and have in mind that the numbers from the rest of the world hasn't been updated since sunday
    SP is about $18m ahead of QoS at the same time (US) and about $45m behind SF (again, US).

For China, I think about $100m to $105m or thereabouts is possible based on the recent data, which is in line with expectations.
    14-Day Total North America

Spectre $139,102,879
    Skyfall $185,641,149
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 1,098
    UK BO update

Fri....................HG gross $4 mil, SP gross $1.5 mil

HG just ain't that cool in the UK
    Its looking less & less like SP will crack the 1billion mark
  • Tuck91 wrote: »
    Its looking less & less like SP will crack the 1billion mark
    1 billion is very difficult, especially with theese days dollar exchange rates. Final Box Office is going to be 800-900 million.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    800 to 900 million is excellent.

Obviously huge sums of money is welcomed but Bond movies don't need to be making and exceeding a billion and to be perfectly honest imo SF really didn't deserve to generate that much revenue; CR did if ever there was a Bond movie that deserved to kill it at the BO.

After all these years, I'm a bit worried that EoN don't know how to handle having a huge budget. 25 million on building and destroying cars and not even in such a spectacular fashion is beyond wasteful. Then, allegedky needing to bank 650 million just to break even is crazy.

The first thing EoN need to address is their creative process. The need for a new, excellent scripwriter has reached the territory of desperation and throwing money in this area should be priority number one. Mine the source material, the novels offer so much untapped excellent material that are screaming to be pasted up on screen. Let's do this!
  • I am expecting a 660-670 million BO this Sunday.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited November 2015 Posts: 4,043
    Why didn't SF deserve to gross what it did? This is just your personal opinion.
    CR would never have grossed that much it was a gamble that paid off which led to SF's gross I'm proud of it's achievements as a fan.

I agree SP budget is ridiculous considering the way they rushed the ending of the film, at least I can see SF budget on the screen. The Scotland climax blows literally both the desert and the MI6 ending to SP away.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Shardlake wrote: »
    CR would never have grossed that much it was a gamble that paid off which led to SF's gross I'm proud of it's achievements as a fan.

My post outlined that it is indeed my opinion, something I firmly stand by. Dont get me wrong as a Bond fan I'll take success where ever I can as long as it keeps the series alive and popular but compared to films like CR I feel the praise and BO were overstatements. For me, SF was good but it wasn't THAT good.

You are right that CR would never have made a billion dollars back in '06 but neither would have SF had it been released back then, even moreso many film today crossing the billion dollar mark wouldn't have done so. This is all a moot point but tangentially I think ordinarily Bond films today at least shouldn't be exceeding budgets of 250million and should be banking around 750 to 800 million. Reasonable and realistic.
    Shardlake wrote: »

I agree SP budget is ridiculous considering the way they rushed the ending of the film, at least I can see SF budget on the screen. The Scotland climax blows literally both the desert and the MI6 ending to SP away.

I'd say there were plenty enough moments in which we saw the budget on screen but then again I don't think any Bond climax will match the cinematography of the Skyfall Lodge ablaze.

That said other than the PTS in SF they didn't really go anywhere - Macao in the studio - so it all looked a little homely.

Against all expectation for the 50th anniversary film we ended up with something a little low key and introspective so it was nice to have some spectacle back again for SP.
  • Shardlake wrote: »

IMHO SP looks as a much more expensive movie than SF: more locations, more runtime, more set-pieces and also a very good cast and crew (but in their 2nd-4th movie some of them). The budget I am not able to understand is Quantum, which was much more expensive than CR, as expensive as SF and not so far from SP.
    China BO update

Sat gross:- $4,905,600 .............. running total $73,377,300

SP's 2nd weekend has dropped a lot in China, but so has the competition. SP only a fraction behind 2nd place film, and the new Hunger Games film on its opening, barely made a little more than $1mil over SP, yet is playing at some 11,000 screens more.
    Wow. That really is frontloaded. I was predicting 20M for the weekend. Looks like it could end up with around 10M. That's a huge dropoff from opening weekend.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    The budget I am not able to understand is Quantum, which was much more expensive than CR, as expensive as SF and not so far from SP.
    I agree that it seems very expensive, but it's all up there on the screen. Some idiot just forgot to let the camera linger a little longer and from a little farther back so that we could actually see it.

1. car chase blows SP's out of the water. Just destroys it. Visceral delight
    2. Sienna Mitchell rooftop chase is as good as SP pretitles - we just can't follow it
    3. boat chase is as good as it gets....pity we can't make any thing out without slow motion
    4. they used real planes for the plane chase (until it disintegrates)
    5. parts of the hotel explosion and hotel in the finale were real
  • mepal1 wrote: »
    China BO update

SP's 2nd weekend has dropped a lot in China, but so has the competition. SP only a fraction behind 2nd place film, and the new Hunger Games film on its opening, barely made a little more than $1mil over SP, yet is playing at some 11,000 screens more.
    Fair enough, considering Friday Box Office. Chinesese BO behaves in an odd way, but it will give over 80 million, maybe 100 million.

That is $4m (50%) less than QoS on the comparable day and $10m (approx 72%) less than SF, before adjusting for inflation. Loss of the best theatres due to HG seems to have taken a toll on Friday. I hope it holds up well over Sat/Sun. The release schedule was always going to be a problem around this time.
    I actually think this is quite positive news for SP. This Hunger Games film seems to be the lowest grossing of the franchise, projected to just about make it over 100 million this weekend. After that it will fall off quickly, while SP will battle on in the coming weeks. I really thought the damage would be more severe than this.
    I actually think this is quite positive news for SP. This Hunger Games film seems to be the lowest grossing of the franchise, projected to just about make it over 100 million this weekend. After that it will fall off quickly, while SP will battle on in the coming weeks. I really thought the damage would be more severe than this.
    The issue is more the loss of the higher price theatre locations (not just IMAX) and the other films in the mix. Not blockbusters necessarily but competition for adult viewers (who hold off until later weeks to see Bond....e.g. Creed, Secret in their Eyes, Spotlight) as well as families (Good Dinosaur could be huge). SP should pick up a little next weekend (Thanksgiving) but it won't have the best theatres, which SF did during the same time in 2012..
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited November 2015 Posts: 4,116
    bondjames wrote: »
    The issue is more the loss of the higher price theatre locations (not just IMAX) and the other films in the mix. Not blockbusters necessarily but competition for adult viewers (who hold off until later weeks to see Bond....e.g. Creed, Secret in their Eyes, Spotlight) as well as families (Good Dinosaur could be huge). SP should pick up a little next weekend (Thanksgiving) but it won't have the best theatres, which SF did during the same time in 2012..

I'm really disappointed. Miss the Bond high we all had in 2012.

And it's doing less than QS ...but don't shoot me but I have a greater appreciation now for QS. I always liked the film though.

The ending of QS didn't falter like SP ...and best sequence wasn't in the PTS.

I'm bummed. I don't want to lose my Bond.
  • mepal1 wrote: »
    China BO update

You need to understand one very important thing. Holdover of non-Chinese productions is usually not that good as in home country USA. And that's because of so many Chinese productions. They always eat off a lot of gross from the imported US/European productions.

Having said all this, I am very impressed by the $73,377,300 figure "SPECTRE" has grossed so far. I'm way more certain now that "SPECTRE" will soar past the $120 Million during the end of its run in China. Also, "Hunger Games 4" did disappoint in China, like I predicted. So as "SPECTRE" now easily fought off "The Peanuts" and "Hunger Games 4" in China, it has basically a nice run in China right until "Star Wars 7" premieres there.

I must agree however that $250 Million for "SPECTRE" would be a bit too much to ask for a total gross in the USA. But it will soar past the $200 Million. Possibly $225 Million.

Conclusion so far: We love you China :-P!