SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

18384868889153

Comments

  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited December 2015 Posts: 4,399
    .
  • So with $677 mil its officially "in profit" then, regarding that article that said it had to make 650 to be profitable.

    And SP now passes the US adjusted totals of OHMSS and NSNA, and will pass DN in a couple of days.

    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=jamesbond.htm&adjust_yr=2015&p=.htm

    (And why did the thread title change to $400 million? It already did that in two weeks :) )
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited December 2015 Posts: 4,399
    .
  • Yes I say 900 is doable. In the US there are 3 wide releases this week in the US - Creed, Good Dinosaur, and Victor Frankenstein, with Creed the only film that will be competing for the Bond audience. Then the next week only 1 new film, and 1 new film the next week, so Bond will still be hanging around in 6-7th place by the 18th, and will still play through Xmas and New Year (I expect the likes of Frankenstein and Secret in their eyes will disappear much faster).
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited December 2015 Posts: 4,399
    .
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 34,015
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I don't see the point in the sarcastic title change. The movie is still trucking along and is almost to $700 million. Care to change your predictions, @Gustav_Graves, or is your mind still set on it making $1.2 billion?

    There is every bit of reason for sarcasm, as my prediction is shit-covered toilet paper now :-P. It will never make $1.2 Billion.

    I laughed really, really hard at this. Thank you!
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 1,055
    SP's box office estimates.............now put the International tally at $524.1 mil, after a
    $65.7 mil weekend.

    Worldwide total now stands at a whopping estimated $681.4 mil.

    UK est gross $130.5 mil.

    ps: i understand the sarcasm of the title, but can we change it to something realistic now? :)
  • Yeah I think "Can it make 900" is a more valid finish line
    HASEROT wrote: »

    bloody hell... i forgot about The Good Dinosaur... that could dramatically change my estimates.... Holiday Weekends + Family Friendly Animated Movies = $$$$... usually it does anyway... the $20 million i predicted over Thanksgiving weekend, could be more like $8-10 million.

    What? Naah. I'm sure it'll do well, but Good Dinosaur isn't tapping into Spectre's audience. It'll kill Peanuts though.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe "I need a year off" Craig
    Posts: 7,273
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    Yeah I think "Can it make 900" is a more valid finish line
    HASEROT wrote: »

    bloody hell... i forgot about The Good Dinosaur... that could dramatically change my estimates.... Holiday Weekends + Family Friendly Animated Movies = $$$$... usually it does anyway... the $20 million i predicted over Thanksgiving weekend, could be more like $8-10 million.

    What? Naah. I'm sure it'll do well, but Good Dinosaur isn't tapping into Spectre's audience. It'll kill Peanuts though.

    Yeah, I have a feeling some nuts are about to get crushed B-)
  • Posts: 1,055
    Reading the latest 'Deadline' article.

    http://deadline.com/2015/11/hunger-games-mockingjay-part-2-spectre-international-box-office-results-1201634041/

    Highlights, from article

    Bond still top film in Northern Europe (excl France).

    Holland, still top film after 4 weekends.

    Big opening in India $4.8 mil

    Still doing good BO business in Germany, current tally $50.7 mil.

    After record opening in France, prior to terror attack, SP only did $5.9 mil second weekend for a total of $22.6 mil. Film has collapsed in France.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 389
    France and Belgium BO have been affected by terrorism, another good reason to hate terrorism. Gustav, I understand your view, but, please, change the title for a 900 million target or something similar. :)>-
  • Posts: 1,055
    France and Belgium BO have been affected by terrorism, another good reason to hate terrorism. Gustav, I understand your view, but, please, change the title for a 900 million target or something similar. :)>-

    Yes, from the film studio's point of view SP has had some bad luck with its release of the film.........but as they say, 'shit happens' in life.

    I agree........thread title needs to change to what you have suggested.

  • Posts: 1,066
    If it hits 900 (which I'm 99% positive it will) then the last two Bond films have grossed 2 billion. Wow. So the last 4 will have grossed over 3 billion, over twice what the previous Bond actor did. I'm not knocking Brozza, he killed it at the BO. I'm just saying, wow, the standards are extremely high now. If Craig stays, does a 5th, they will hype up that it's his last and it should do 800-900 million at least and his run finishes over 4 billion across 5 films. That's nuts.

    It almost makes me worried that they will keep pushing the budget up to pull out all the stops to attempt to outdo the previous film. Then it means the new film has to do such and such total at the BO. I hope they tone it down a bit for the next one, make it for 200 or under. That way the pressure is not so much.
  • mepal1 wrote: »
    SP's box office estimates.............now put the International tally at $524.1 mil, after a
    $65.7 mil weekend.

    Worldwide total now stands at a whopping estimated $681.4 mil.

    UK est gross $130.5 mil.

    ps: i understand the sarcasm of the title, but can we change it to something realistic now? :)

    I changed it to $950 Million :-).
  • Posts: 1,055
    mepal1 wrote: »
    SP's box office estimates.............now put the International tally at $524.1 mil, after a
    $65.7 mil weekend.

    Worldwide total now stands at a whopping estimated $681.4 mil.

    UK est gross $130.5 mil.

    ps: i understand the sarcasm of the title, but can we change it to something realistic now? :)

    I changed it to $950 Million :-).

    OK.....thanks.........coz it was more confusing, rather anything else before! :)
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 11,119
    By jolly, and we are complaining about "SPECTRE" being lacklustre at the box office? At least I was totally right about "The Hunger Games" and other young adult adaptations like "The Maze Runner", "Twilight" and "Divergent/Insurgent": Overcooked stuff with usually no legs/holdover at the box office:
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=daily&id=hungergamesshowdown.htm
    I'm rather glad the hype is behind now. And, like in 2012 with "Twilight" it's a film that probably won't really hurt Bond. Let's prepare Thanksgiving dinner dear fans!! And the turkey is off course that whining, over-acting Katniss Everdeen, from which all Bond fans are eating >:).
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Posts: 11,090
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    If it hits 900 (which I'm 99% positive it will) then the last two Bond films have grossed 2 billion. Wow. So the last 4 will have grossed over 3 billion, over twice what the previous Bond actor did. I'm not knocking Brozza, he killed it at the BO. I'm just saying, wow, the standards are extremely high now. If Craig stays, does a 5th, they will hype up that it's his last and it should do 800-900 million at least and his run finishes over 4 billion across 5 films. That's nuts.

    It almost makes me worried that they will keep pushing the budget up to pull out all the stops to attempt to outdo the previous film. Then it means the new film has to do such and such total at the BO. I hope they tone it down a bit for the next one, make it for 200 or under. That way the pressure is not so much.

    There's no way the budget for Bond 25 is going to be as much as the budget was for SP let alone exceeding it. Not only that but ut's completely unnecessary. A strong film maker can make a much better Bond movie than the last 3 Bond movies with a $200 million budget. Spend the money wisely and not on superfluous stuff like 25 million on writing off luxury sports cars, use less geographical locations. So much creativity and an overall superior can come out from using a less bloated budget but where the Bond movies reaĺly need to start outdoing themselves is in the story/script.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe "I need a year off" Craig
    edited November 2015 Posts: 7,273
    By jolly, and we are complaining about "SPECTRE" being lacklustre at the box office? At least I was totally right about "The Hunger Games" and other young adult adaptations like "The Maze Runner", "Twilight" and "Divergent/Insurgent": Overcooked stuff with usually no legs/holdover at the box office:
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=daily&id=hungergamesshowdown.htm
    I'm rather glad the hype is behind now. And, like in 2012 with "Twilight" it's a film that probably won't really hurt Bond. Let's prepare Thanksgiving dinner dear fans!! And the turkey is off course that whining, over-acting Katniss Everdeen, from which all Bond
    fans are eating >:)
    .

    =))
  • By jolly, and we are complaining about "SPECTRE" being lacklustre at the box office? At least I was totally right about "The Hunger Games" and other young adult adaptations like "The Maze Runner" and "Divergent/Insurgent": Overcooked stuff with usually no legs/holdover at the box office:
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=daily&id=hungergamesshowdown.htm
    I'm rather glad the hype is behind now.

    Seems to me that EVERYTHING lately is coming in under expectations. October was full of duds, then SP's opening weekend in the US was "underwhelming", then The 33, Love the Coopers, The Night Before, Secret in their eyes, Mockingjay, ALL opened under their estimates/tracking. US box office is down in general.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe "I need a year off" Craig
    Posts: 7,273
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    By jolly, and we are complaining about "SPECTRE" being lacklustre at the box office? At least I was totally right about "The Hunger Games" and other young adult adaptations like "The Maze Runner" and "Divergent/Insurgent": Overcooked stuff with usually no legs/holdover at the box office:
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=daily&id=hungergamesshowdown.htm
    I'm rather glad the hype is behind now.

    Seems to me that EVERYTHING lately is coming in under expectations. October was full of duds, then SP's opening weekend in the US was "underwhelming", then The 33, Love the Coopers, The Night Before, Secret in their eyes, Mockingjay, ALL opened under their estimates/tracking. US box office is down in general.

    That's because everyone is hold back their load in anticipation for Star Wars.
  • doubleoego wrote: »
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    If it hits 900 (which I'm 99% positive it will) then the last two Bond films have grossed 2 billion. Wow. So the last 4 will have grossed over 3 billion, over twice what the previous Bond actor did. I'm not knocking Brozza, he killed it at the BO. I'm just saying, wow, the standards are extremely high now. If Craig stays, does a 5th, they will hype up that it's his last and it should do 800-900 million at least and his run finishes over 4 billion across 5 films. That's nuts.

    It almost makes me worried that they will keep pushing the budget up to pull out all the stops to attempt to outdo the previous film. Then it means the new film has to do such and such total at the BO. I hope they tone it down a bit for the next one, make it for 200 or under. That way the pressure is not so much.

    There's no way the budget for Bond 25 is going to be as much as the budget was for SP let alone exceeding it. Not only that but ut's completely unnecessary. A strong film maker can make a much better Bond movie than the last 3 Bond movies with a $200 million budget. Spend the money wisely and not on superfluous stuff like 25 million on writing off luxury sports cars, use less geographical locations. So much creativity and an overall superior can come out from using a less bloated budget but where the Bond movies reaĺly need to start outdoing themselves is in the story/script.

    It's a bit too easy to say that if you ask me. In my opinion I found the $300 Million budget logical. Just look what "Cubby" did with "Thunderball" and "Moonraker" some decades back.

    If "SPECTRE" received very good reviews, no one whould have whined about the production budget. But because of the SonyLeaks movie pundits got some real insight in production budgets. And not soon after that the 'production budget' became one of the main narratives of this particular Bond production.

    Hadn't there been any other leaks regarding the script, had it been written by just John Logan and no one else....then production budgets don't matter. Production budgets are invested in stuff like stunts, (bespoke) cars, publicity, expensive A-list actors, incredible locations, etc. But not so much in screenplays.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 1,055
    doubleoego wrote: »
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    If it hits 900 (which I'm 99% positive it will) then the last two Bond films have grossed 2 billion. Wow. So the last 4 will have grossed over 3 billion, over twice what the previous Bond actor did. I'm not knocking Brozza, he killed it at the BO. I'm just saying, wow, the standards are extremely high now. If Craig stays, does a 5th, they will hype up that it's his last and it should do 800-900 million at least and his run finishes over 4 billion across 5 films. That's nuts.

    It almost makes me worried that they will keep pushing the budget up to pull out all the stops to attempt to outdo the previous film. Then it means the new film has to do such and such total at the BO. I hope they tone it down a bit for the next one, make it for 200 or under. That way the pressure is not so much.

    There's no way the budget for Bond 25 is going to be as much as the budget was for SP let alone exceeding it. Not only that but ut's completely unnecessary. A strong film maker can make a much better Bond movie than the last 3 Bond movies with a $200 million budget. Spend the money wisely and not on superfluous stuff like 25 million on writing off luxury sports cars, use less geographical locations. So much creativity and an overall superior can come out from using a less bloated budget but where the Bond movies reaĺly need to start outdoing themselves is in the story/script.

    The problem with EON is they never learn from from previous mistakes (well only temporary).
    After spending a reported $230 mil on QOS, which actually became the most expensive film ever, per running time of the film...........you would of thought they had learned a lesson.
    Well, sort of coz SF was cut back with a slightly smaller budget, and less action scenes. But after the success of that film, they made all the same mistakes over again.......spending staggering amounts of money on each scene in SP, and paying vast amounts of money to the star and director.

    What really counts is the story and the characters................and not writing off lots of cars, and creating the worlds biggest explosion for a film.


  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 34,015
    While I love the film...the reason it could be receiving mediocre reviews is just that: because most critics found it to be mediocre. I don't think it's fair to say that a film I love deserves the great reviews it receives, and then try and place blame on other things when a film I love receives mediocre-to-poor reviews. Sure, those listed things may not have helped, but the only thing truly accounting for a majority of those bad reviews is simple: a good portion of critics weren't crazy about it.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    Yeah I think "Can it make 900" is a more valid finish line
    HASEROT wrote: »

    bloody hell... i forgot about The Good Dinosaur... that could dramatically change my estimates.... Holiday Weekends + Family Friendly Animated Movies = $$$$... usually it does anyway... the $20 million i predicted over Thanksgiving weekend, could be more like $8-10 million.

    What? Naah. I'm sure it'll do well, but Good Dinosaur isn't tapping into Spectre's audience. It'll kill Peanuts though.
    Good Dinosaur doesn't compete directly with SP. However, its impact will be similar or stronger than the impact that people were talking about on week one when Peanuts/SP were released on the same weekend....namely, it is an alternative for adults with young kids, and on the margin, could draw away viewers, especially if it's in the biggest/best theatres. The question is how much impact? Who knows....
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    While I love the film...the reason it could be receiving mediocre reviews is just that: because most critics found it to be mediocre. I don't think it's fair to say that a film I love deserves the great reviews it receives, and then try and place blame on other things when a film I love receives mediocre-to-poor reviews. Sure, those listed things may not have helped, but the only thing truly accounting for a majority of those bad reviews is simple: a good portion of critics weren't crazy about it.
    I agree.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 34,015
    Also, we can whine about mediocre reviews all we want. However, SP broke a few Bond-related records, was #1 for two weekends in a row, it's shaping up to be in the #2 position in its third week, and it's now already made back its budget and earned a $27 million profit. Who cares about the reviews? If it was truly that mediocre, then the box office return would've reflected that. Everything it makes from this point on is profit, and if it ends around $900 million - or a $250 million profit - then I'd say that is far from mediocre.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Posts: 10,384
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Also, we can whine about mediocre reviews all we want. However, SP broke a few Bond-related records, was #1 for two weekends in a row, it's shaping up to be in the #2 position in its third week, and it's now already made back its budget and earned a $27 million profit. Who cares about the reviews? If it was truly that mediocre, then the box office return would've reflected that. Everything it makes from this point on is profit, and if it ends around $900 million - or a $250 million profit - then I'd say that is far from mediocre.
    Yes, yes, and yes.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Also, we can whine about mediocre reviews all we want. However, SP broke a few Bond-related records, was #1 for two weekends in a row, it's shaping up to be in the #2 position in its third week, and it's now already made back its budget and earned a $27 million profit. Who cares about the reviews? If it was truly that mediocre, then the box office return would've reflected that. Everything it makes from this point on is profit, and if it ends around $900 million - or a $250 million profit - then I'd say that is far from mediocre.
    Absolutely true as well. It is going to be the #2 film box office wise in the canon (probably) or at least top 4 or 5, so that's saying something. However, the reviews and overall impression (over time) does matter. It can either be remembered as a TB, or as a MR or even worse, a DAD.

    We are way too early for that assessment. We will know in a couple of years perhaps.
  • I've mentioned "The Good Dinosaur" many times in here. It's the 2nd Pixar film of this year, and it follows the slightly revived dinosaur-craze. It'll do very very well. Trust me.

    By the way, sometimes it's not only a matter of competition. 2015 was going to be a heavy crowded box office year. But during some instances certain films that premiered more or less at the same time profited from each other.

    "Kingsman" and "Fifty Shades Of Grey" didn't hurt each other. They drew in entirely different audiences. Same with "Jurassic World" and "Inside Out". Both didn't really suffer from each other. Actually, "Jurassic World" went on to earn almost $1.7 Billion and "Inside Out" almost hit $900 Million.

    My conclusion: It's not all that bad. Yes, "SPECTRE" will drop heavily when "The Good Dinosaur" premieres. But then again....it opens much closer to "Star Wars 7".
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 1,055
    Whatever the overall worldwide cinema returns for SP ends up as............the next source of revenue will be the huge DVD and BLU-RAY sales market.

    I don't know how much of the revenue goes back to the studio........but as a reference to SF's home market in North America the film earned:-

    $47.6 mil for DVD sales, and $52.3 mil for BLU-RAY sales.......a total of just under a $100 mil.
  • Trivia - after one month of release, Spectre has surpassed the final total of every Brosnan Bond film (and Dalton and Lazenby, just to be fair!), as well as CR.

    Again, after just one month, it sits at no.7 on the worldwide Bond chart, adjusted for inflation :

    http://www.007james.com/articles/box_office.php

    I think it'll end up at 4th, but nudging past Goldfinger is not out of the question.
Sign In or Register to comment.