SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

18687899192153

Comments

  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited November 2015 Posts: 4,116
    I'm thinking £78m total. Maybe $202m in NA if we're lucky.

  • TubesTubes The Hebrew Hammer
    Posts: 158
    Domestic Box Office (3rd Weekend): $15,043,729
    Domestic Box Office (Total): $154,146,608
    Worldwide Box Office (incl. China Monday): $679,663,837

    SPECTRE is 7th worldwide this year and will be 6th by the end of this week.
  • Weekend actuals over 15 million for a 154 million in North America.
  • Posts: 1,055
    Weekend actuals over 15 million for a 154 million in North America.

    ........makes a nice change, for the actual figure to be higher than the estimated figure.

  • Posts: 1,068
    I know quite a few planning to see SP this coming weekend as part of their run into the festive season! In fact one says they want to get SP seen before SW hits! lol
  • Posts: 2,463
    tigers99 wrote: »
    It will end up doing an alright piece of business. If it does $800-950million worldwide it will be 4th/5th overall out of the Bonds when adjusted for inflation.

    2013 inflation figures we have 1. Skyfall - 1.21 billion
    2. Thunderball - 1.040 billion
    3. Goldfinger - 935.4 million
    4. Live and Let Die - 846 million
    5. You Only Live Twice - 775.74 million
    Wait..isn't TB #1 when numbers are inflation adjusted?
  • In reality, it probably is. There are going to be some discrepancies in 50 years worth of adjustments. I don't how how these inflation adjustments are factoring in re-releases and double bills etc. TB was still playing in revivals in 1971, so is a 1965 ticket being counted the same as a 1971 ticket? It's best to just say TB and SF are the two top movies and leave it at that.
  • TubesTubes The Hebrew Hammer
    Posts: 158
    dragonsky wrote: »
    tigers99 wrote: »
    It will end up doing an alright piece of business. If it does $800-950million worldwide it will be 4th/5th overall out of the Bonds when adjusted for inflation.

    2013 inflation figures we have 1. Skyfall - 1.21 billion
    2. Thunderball - 1.040 billion
    3. Goldfinger - 935.4 million
    4. Live and Let Die - 846 million
    5. You Only Live Twice - 775.74 million
    Wait..isn't TB #1 when numbers are inflation adjusted?

    In North America, yes. Skyfall has it beat worldwide and internationally.
  • Posts: 1,055
    dragonsky wrote: »
    tigers99 wrote: »
    It will end up doing an alright piece of business. If it does $800-950million worldwide it will be 4th/5th overall out of the Bonds when adjusted for inflation.

    2013 inflation figures we have 1. Skyfall - 1.21 billion
    2. Thunderball - 1.040 billion
    3. Goldfinger - 935.4 million
    4. Live and Let Die - 846 million
    5. You Only Live Twice - 775.74 million
    Wait..isn't TB #1 when numbers are inflation adjusted?

    I agree TB is No1...............but its best not to go there, as there was almost an all out war here in 2012 over this discussion.
    In a nutshell......some people have just used an inflation converter, based on the cost of living rise in America, and applied it to worldwide figures.............but basically it doesn't mean or prove anything.


  • TubesTubes The Hebrew Hammer
    Posts: 158
    Grain of salt and all that jazz. I remember similar discussions in 2012 at the other place when I ran my figures. Plus, the grosses of the early Bond films can be inconsistent depending on the source.
  • Posts: 345
    Spectre just about held on to 2nd spot on the Sunday US BO.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Digitalia
    Posts: 40,195
    Skyfail wrote: »
    How is it doing in India?
    It's got terrible word of mouth in India, but for its releasing week almost all the theaters were house full

    So neither the Cowboys nor the Indians cared about this one.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited December 2015 Posts: 4,399
    .
  • Posts: 1,055
    Skyfail wrote: »
    How is it doing in India?
    It's got terrible word of mouth in India, but for its releasing week almost all the theaters were house full

    So neither the Cowboys nor the Indians cared about this one.

    Fortunately......most of the world did. :)
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe "I need a year off" Craig
    edited November 2015 Posts: 7,273
    Skyfail wrote: »
    How is it doing in India?
    It's got terrible word of mouth in India, but for its releasing week almost all the theaters were house full

    So neither the Cowboys nor the Indians cared about this one.

    That's offensive. They're called Native Americans.

    Plus, it should really be Cowpeople.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Digitalia
    Posts: 40,195
    Yes, so sorry. Native cow population it is.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 1,068
    I had a chuckle on this one @Thunderfinger
    Skyfail wrote: »
    How is it doing in India?
    It's got terrible word of mouth in India, but for its releasing week almost all the theaters were house full

    So neither the Cowboys nor the Indians cared about this one.
    Skyfail wrote: »
    How is it doing in India?
    It's got terrible word of mouth in India, but for its releasing week almost all the theaters were house full

    So neither the Cowboys nor the Indians cared about this one.

    That's offensive. They're called Native Americans.

    Plus, it should really be Cowpeople.

    Surely the wrong Indians, however offended the native Americans may feel on this comment?
  • Posts: 3,322
    Just found out something really cool.
    The attendance for SP and SF was as follows in Norway after its 3rd weekend

    SP = 521 320
    SF = 521 213

    Very close indeed!

    But i must also report that SP has lost some steam now compared to SF
    After 4th weekend

    SP = 584 438
    SF = 600 177

  • Posts: 1,055
    Just found out something really cool.
    The attendance for SP and SF was as follows in Norway after its 3rd weekend

    SP = 521 320
    SF = 521 213

    Very close indeed!

    But i must also report that SP has lost some steam now compared to SF
    After 4th weekend

    SP = 584 438
    SF = 600 177

    But.........only about 5.1 million people live in Norway................anyway, thats a very high attendance figure per population.
    The Scandinavian countries love the Bond films. :)
  • Posts: 427
    Tubes wrote: »
    Domestic Box Office (3rd Weekend): $15,043,729
    Domestic Box Office (Total): $154,146,608
    Worldwide Box Office (incl. China Monday): $679,663,837

    SPECTRE is 7th worldwide this year and will be 6th by the end of this week.

    ... and will be 7th again after "Star Wars" has climbed to the Top of the 2015-releases.
  • Posts: 1,055
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    Tubes wrote: »
    Domestic Box Office (3rd Weekend): $15,043,729
    Domestic Box Office (Total): $154,146,608
    Worldwide Box Office (incl. China Monday): $679,663,837

    SPECTRE is 7th worldwide this year and will be 6th by the end of this week.

    ... and will be 7th again after "Star Wars" has climbed to the Top of the 2015-releases.

    thanks for that.............killjoy ;)
  • Posts: 725
    mepal1 wrote: »
    dragonsky wrote: »
    tigers99 wrote: »
    It will end up doing an alright piece of business. If it does $800-950million worldwide it will be 4th/5th overall out of the Bonds when adjusted for inflation.

    2013 inflation figures we have 1. Skyfall - 1.21 billion
    2. Thunderball - 1.040 billion
    3. Goldfinger - 935.4 million
    4. Live and Let Die - 846 million
    5. You Only Live Twice - 775.74 million
    Wait..isn't TB #1 when numbers are inflation adjusted?

    I agree TB is No1...............but its best not to go there, as there was almost an all out war here in 2012 over this discussion.
    In a nutshell......some people have just used an inflation converter, based on the cost of living rise in America, and applied it to worldwide figures.............but basically it doesn't mean or prove anything.


    Wasn't here for that discussion, but I've read a number of articles that convinced me that all of these Inflation Adjustment figures are arbitrary and often just totally bonkers, and not just for Bond. They get thrown around like they are factual, and very often they mostly are not. Maybe there is a major film BO expert who has done some definitive analysis of this kind of data to get at more accurate figures. I guess the problem is that it can only be done by getting at the number of tickets sold, but good luck on getting that kind of accurate data going back decades in countries around the world.

    Bottom line, when ever I see Inflation Adjusted tables for films, Bond films or otherwise, I'm very skeptical.
  • Posts: 1,055
    smitty wrote: »
    mepal1 wrote: »
    dragonsky wrote: »
    tigers99 wrote: »
    It will end up doing an alright piece of business. If it does $800-950million worldwide it will be 4th/5th overall out of the Bonds when adjusted for inflation.

    2013 inflation figures we have 1. Skyfall - 1.21 billion
    2. Thunderball - 1.040 billion
    3. Goldfinger - 935.4 million
    4. Live and Let Die - 846 million
    5. You Only Live Twice - 775.74 million
    Wait..isn't TB #1 when numbers are inflation adjusted?

    I agree TB is No1...............but its best not to go there, as there was almost an all out war here in 2012 over this discussion.
    In a nutshell......some people have just used an inflation converter, based on the cost of living rise in America, and applied it to worldwide figures.............but basically it doesn't mean or prove anything.


    Wasn't here for that discussion, but I've read a number of articles that convinced me that all of these Inflation Adjustment figures are arbitrary and often just totally bonkers, and not just for Bond. They get thrown around like they are factual, and very often they mostly are not. Maybe there is a major film BO expert who has done some definitive analysis of this kind of data to get at more accurate figures. I guess the problem is that it can only be done by getting at the number of tickets sold, but good luck on getting that kind of accurate data going back decades in countries around the world.

    Bottom line, when ever I see Inflation Adjusted tables for films, Bond films or otherwise, I'm very skeptical.

    Exactly..........couldn't of said better myself. :)
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 1,309
    For those of you interested in the North American box office figures, Box Office Mojo has a good side by side comparison of all the Daniel Craig Bond movies.

    Day by Day Comparison
    Weekend by Weekend Comparison
    Week by Week Comparison

    What's unnerving is that Spectre has fallen over 50% two consecutive weekends in a row (the only Craig film to do that). To compare to a more recent spy-themed action film, it took Rogue Nation nine weekends to see a drop over 50% (Rouge Nation had good "legs" after the opening weekend, it looks like Spectre does not).

    I am pleased to see the stellar worldwide numbers for Spectre because the North American figures are certainly a disappointment, even when one considers it was never expected to do Skyfall-type numbers.

    Nevertheless, my concern is only slight. The film is likely to finish around $850-$900m and that is pretty darned good in my book.
  • Posts: 1,055
    SJK91 wrote: »
    For those of you interested in the North American box office figures, Box Office Mojo has a good side by side comparison of all the Daniel Craig Bond movies.

    Day by Day Comparison
    Weekend by Weekend Comparison
    Week by Week Comparison

    What's unnerving is that Spectre has fallen over 50% two consecutive weekends in a row (the only Craig film to do that). To compare to a more recent spy-themed action film, it took Rogue Nation nine weekends to see a drop over 50% (Rouge Nation had good "legs" after the opening weekend, it looks like Spectre does not).

    I am pleased to see the stellar worldwide numbers for Spectre because the North American figures are certainly a disappointment, even when one considers it was never expected to do Skyfall-type numbers.

    Nevertheless, my concern is only slight. The film is likely to finish around $850-$900m and that is pretty darned good in my book.

    The week by week figures do not tell the whole story.............you have to take into account if films have opened, with another big film being released on the same weekend.
    Also, you have to look at the weeks figures to see if they occurred on a normal week, or a holiday week (such as Thanksgiving).

  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Does anyone know what the Good Dinosaur is forecasted to do? Is this expected to be one of these Disney type steamrollers or not? e.g. an Inside Out or Minions type $850m to $1bn film?

    I have no clue on these kids fare. Some of the grosses they get just surprise me, although I realize there is a market for it out there.

    PS: If SP gets to $800m, that would possibly put it on par with QoS and CR roughly on ticket sales, given that there was a lot more higher priced IMAX/4K style gross with SP. Anything above is likely SF newbie fan retention.
  • Posts: 1,055
    bondjames wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the Good Dinosaur is forecasted to do? Is this expected to be one of these Disney type steamrollers or not? e.g. an Inside Out or Minions type $1bn film?

    I have no clue on these kids fare. Some of the grosses they get just surprise me, although I realize there is a market for it out there.

    No idea.............but imagine film will be very popular........as kids love Dinosaurs!

  • Posts: 1,309
    mepal1 wrote: »
    SJK91 wrote: »
    For those of you interested in the North American box office figures, Box Office Mojo has a good side by side comparison of all the Daniel Craig Bond movies.

    Day by Day Comparison
    Weekend by Weekend Comparison
    Week by Week Comparison

    What's unnerving is that Spectre has fallen over 50% two consecutive weekends in a row (the only Craig film to do that). To compare to a more recent spy-themed action film, it took Rogue Nation nine weekends to see a drop over 50% (Rouge Nation had good "legs" after the opening weekend, it looks like Spectre does not).

    I am pleased to see the stellar worldwide numbers for Spectre because the North American figures are certainly a disappointment, even when one considers it was never expected to do Skyfall-type numbers.

    Nevertheless, my concern is only slight. The film is likely to finish around $850-$900m and that is pretty darned good in my book.

    The week by week figures do not tell the whole story.............you have to take into account if films have opened, with another big film being released on the same weekend.
    Also, you have to look at the weeks figures to see if they occurred on a normal week, or a holiday week (such as Thanksgiving).
    True, and I expect that the drop for Thanksgiving weekend is going to be lighter for Spectre considering the higher than usual crowds.
  • mepal1 wrote: »
    smitty wrote: »
    mepal1 wrote: »
    dragonsky wrote: »
    tigers99 wrote: »
    It will end up doing an alright piece of business. If it does $800-950million worldwide it will be 4th/5th overall out of the Bonds when adjusted for inflation.

    2013 inflation figures we have 1. Skyfall - 1.21 billion
    2. Thunderball - 1.040 billion
    3. Goldfinger - 935.4 million
    4. Live and Let Die - 846 million
    5. You Only Live Twice - 775.74 million
    Wait..isn't TB #1 when numbers are inflation adjusted?

    I agree TB is No1...............but its best not to go there, as there was almost an all out war here in 2012 over this discussion.
    In a nutshell......some people have just used an inflation converter, based on the cost of living rise in America, and applied it to worldwide figures.............but basically it doesn't mean or prove anything.


    Wasn't here for that discussion, but I've read a number of articles that convinced me that all of these Inflation Adjustment figures are arbitrary and often just totally bonkers, and not just for Bond. They get thrown around like they are factual, and very often they mostly are not. Maybe there is a major film BO expert who has done some definitive analysis of this kind of data to get at more accurate figures. I guess the problem is that it can only be done by getting at the number of tickets sold, but good luck on getting that kind of accurate data going back decades in countries around the world.

    Bottom line, when ever I see Inflation Adjusted tables for films, Bond films or otherwise, I'm very skeptical.

    Exactly..........couldn't of said better myself. :)

    Which reminds me of another often-cited bit of gospel, that more than a billion people have seen a James Bond movie.

    Is it possible that's really 1 billion theater admissions? If that's the case (and I don't know if it is), then the hard-core fan who has seen, say, all the movies 100 times in the theater counts as 100, not as 1.

  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    The latest predictions I can find for this weekend (Fri-Sun) are as follows:

    1. $60m for Good Dinosaur
    2. $22m for Creed
    3. $11m for Frankenstein.

    I'm not sure what's expected for HG-MG2 in its 2nd frame, but possibly $40-50m?. That is some serious activity expected for this weekend's box office.

    Also, some are expecting $215M just for the opening weekend of SW7.
Sign In or Register to comment.