SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Do you guys think SP can top RN's Chinese BO total?
    doubleoego wrote: »

Umm........don't know........will have to wait to see how SP performs at the 2nd weekend in China!

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I hope so, but it's going to be difficult because RN has the all time top foreign 2D grosser there I think. It should be what they shoot for though, to get bragging rights and marketing for future Bond installments.
  • Chinese box office is fully transparent online
    http://www.boxofficechina.com/beta/index.html

SP will indeed surpass SF's total by tomorrow and is still doing 4-5 Mio every day (over the week)
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 1,092
    mepal1 wrote: »
    I am in the middle of the road. 160-180 is too conservative, because at the end of the week SP will have grossed about150 million, maybe a bit more. However, 200+ million is going to be difficult with Hunger Games, Star Wars and Pixar around.
    I would say 175-200 million in North America, 800-900 million worldwide.

What everyone is forgetting, is that obviously there are new stronger film attractions coming along...........but SP will still be in theatres, upto at least early New Year.

Exactly. I don't get this argument that just because new movies come out and that means SP completely disappears. Huh? It will still be in theaters for a really long time, cranking out a few million each week and a few more million each weekend. SF made over 15 million even from Jan on. And that is domestic only. I don't know what it did worldwide during that time but I bet it was a lot more than that. The pessimism here is shocking, positively shocking.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 11,119
    bondjames wrote: »
    I hope so, but it's going to be difficult because RN has the all time top foreign 2D grosser there I think. It should be what they shoot for though, to get bragging rights and marketing for future Bond installments.

We have to wait and see. Fact is that the weekend opening record for Hollywood imported 2D movies in China is now firmly in the hands of James Bond. It now stands on $58.0 Million after 5 days in release (including first weekend frame. today on Tuesday it grossed another $4.2 Million). Its opening day was $15.1 Million.

"Mission: Impossible 5 - Rogue Nation" however opened on a Tuesday. And on that Tuesday it grossed $18.5 Million. And after its first weekend, after 6 days in release, "Rogue Nation" already stood at $86 Million.

Still, the film didn't have the big legs that "Ghost Protocol" had. "Ghost Protocol" was in Chinese cinema's a bit longer and built momentum when the weeks passed. Initially pundits in China were predicting a total box office run of $250 Million for "Rogue Nation", but it ended up with $136 Million:
    http://www.chinagoabroad.com/en/commentary/-mission-impossible-rogue-nation-should-gross-massive-250-million-in-china
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 389
    Even with big drops, SP is going to make over 80 million in China and IMHO 100 million seem to be a realistic prediction.
    North American BO update for SP

Mon:- $2,430,554 ........... running total $131,411,839

Bond should gross somewhere around $9.5 this week (mon-thurs).
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    BREAKING NEWS (well, sort of :)) )

Switzerland:

Spectre sold 555.286 tickets in 10 days in Switzerland

To put this into perspective:
    This years Fast & Furious has sold 492.394 tickets in its entire run.

In 2014 the most successful movie was The Hobbit 3, it has sold 518.806 tickets in its entire run!
    In 2013 the most successful movie was The Hobbit 2, it has sold 499.888 tickets in its entire run!

I'm proud of my fellow countrymen and women :D
  • Great. Do you think the Alps scenes brought in a lot more Swiss moviegoers?
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    Great. Do you think the Alps scenes brought in a lot more Swiss moviegoers?

Well, it's Austria, sort of the natural nemesis of the Swiss :))

Word of mouth is spectacularly good in Switzerland. Our widest read print and online newspaper "20 Minutes" has even created a whole James Bond section prominently featured with new background stories every day, it's running for three weeks now.
    That's what I call being passionate about something.
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    Great. Do you think the Alps scenes brought in a lot more Swiss moviegoers?

Well, it's Austria, sort of the natural nemesis of the Swiss :))

Word of mouth is spectacularly good in Switzerland. Our widest read print and online newspaper "20 Minutes" has even created a whole James Bond section prominently featured with new background stories every day, it's running for three weeks now.
    That's what I call being passionate about something.

Just had a look at the Swiss newspaper "20 minutes", and in no time at all, i found an article on BOND! :)
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    I do wish SP opened up on Oct 23rd in the states and the week before in UK. There would have been no competition for two weeks and then two weeks against the children's Peanuts movie. Essentially five weeks all to itself before Hunger Games.
    I do wish SP opened up on Oct 23rd in the states and the week before in UK. There would have been no competition for two weeks and then two weeks against the children's Peanuts movie. Essentially five weeks all to itself before Hunger Games.
    It was a miscalculation no doubt. They were trying to repeat SF's success, where the UK reviews and tremendous box office carried over to the US and boosted the film. Everything started out the same way this time, except the US critics didn't play ball. Retrospectively they should have in fact released it concurrently with the UK imho.

Switzerland:

In 2014 the most successful movie was The Hobbit 3, it has sold 518.806 tickets in its entire run!
    In 2013 the most successful movie was The Hobbit 2, it has sold 499.888 tickets in its entire run!

Well done indeed!
  • bondjames wrote: »
    It was a miscalculation no doubt. They were trying to repeat SF's success, where the UK reviews and tremendous box office carried over to the US and boosted the film. Everything started out the same way this time, except the US critics didn't play ball. Retrospectively they should have in fact released it concurrently with the UK imho.

These dates are usually set in stone months before the film is finished. Look, for Netherlands they did make an exception. But to forward the film from November 6th to October 23rd would have been a massacre for the entire post-production team. Not to mention the marketing and publicity exec's.

'Retrospectively' indeed......thus a rather useless remark to say. Moreover, this is how Bond movies have been rolled out for quite some time.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    'Retrospectively' indeed......thus a rather useless remark to say. Moreover, this is how Bond movies have been rolled out for quite some time.
    @MooseWithFleas & I speak as fans. We are only concerned with results. Better results could have been achieved in this case with a different strategy.

In fact, MI-RN being moved up was probably the time when they should have decided to align the release dates, because the risk was there that plot similarities could have come up in North American reviews, which they did. The strategic situation was different this year compared to 2012.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    @MooseWithFleas & I speak as fans. We are only concerned with results. Better results could have been achieved in this case with a different strategy.

In fact, MI-RN being moved up was probably the time when they should have decided to align the release dates, because the risk was there that plot similarities could have come up in North American reviews, which they did. The strategic situation was different this year compared to 2012.

It's hindsight talking. MI-RN was solely moved up to prevent the 'destructive box office success' of "Star Wars 7". That has nothing to do with...reviews.

Secondly, I think Sony/MGM were banking on good reviews though. But when the US reviews came in, they must have been a bit worried.

Still, this is movie business. A schedule/release calendar is much more set in stone. Moreover "Rogue Nation" did good business yes. But we tend to forget it didn't match its predecessor either. Many studio execs, me included, thought a $750 Million was most certainly in the mix. It didn't come close.

Movie business........is a fun business with lots of variables and unpredictable things.,
    Cowley wrote: »

Switzerland:

Well done indeed!

By the way, in Germany Spectre also is incredibly successful and will probably only be beaten in the end by The Minions which have sold an insane number of tickets.
    Minions still is No 1 this year as well in Switzerland, but here I believe Spectre will get more in the end.
  • Cowley wrote: »

Switzerland:

Well done indeed!

By the way, in Germany Spectre also is incredibly successful and will probably only be beaten in the end by The Minions which have sold an insane number of tickets.
    Minions still is No 1 this year as well in Switzerland, but here I believe Spectre will get more in the end.

Should we say that this is entirely caused by Bond....? Or by.....Blofeld? :-P.

Switzerland:

Well done indeed!

Should we say that this is entirely caused by Bond....? Or by.....Blofeld? :-P.

Well... :))

Spectre is in fact more successful than Skyfall in Switzerland and also in Germany Spectre has broken the all time record for the second weekend! and is now only 4% behind Skyfall in ticket sales!

Switzerland:

Well done indeed!

It's just great that the 24th film in a franchise can do so well. The fans like to hate on EON and Babs especially but they're still doing an exceptional job in keeping things afloat and finanically viable.

SP wasn't made to chase the same critical plaudits that they sought and won for CR and SF and so the negative reviews are a little heavy handed and disingenuous. SP was to bring back a bit of fun and spectacle to the franchise and on that they have delivered.

If Craig wants a more serious and introspective Bond for Bond25 I'm sure he'll be perfectly capable of ensuring it happens.
  • This is an interesting article about the very agressive marketing campaign for "SPECTRE"s China release that Sony Pictures have been brewing all these months. I am starting to think that it's not "SPECTRE" that should fear "Hunger Games 4" upcoming Friday in China, but the other way around:
    http://deadline.com/2015/11/spectre-prem-ratan-dhan-payo-martian-peanuts-paris-attacks-international-box-office-results-1201624317/
    At this point I really want Spectre to make more than Skyfall.
    I've seen it 6 times now and I still want to see it more. It works so well on the big screen and I want to capture it that way as many times as I can.
    Not that my 65" 4K TV wasn't nice :))
  • In summary as of this evening what do we estimate the latest global BO numbers to be and what as a result do we think SP is on track for? Thanks
  • At this point I really want Spectre to make more than Skyfall.
    I've seen it 6 times now and I still want to see it more. It works so well on the big screen and I want to capture it that way as many times as I can.

Ehh, Jason?

What does your wife say? And your daughter? :-S /:)

It certainly works so well on Imax. I had thought five times was enough but might treat myself to a further and final Imax viewing before it leaves the cinema.

Ehh, Jason?

What does your wife say? And your daughter? :-S /:)

Well I went to see Minions 4 times with my daughter and Hotel Transylvania 3 times, so I guess she's ok with it :)
    And my wife is very understanding, she watches the whole Twilight saga bimonthly and I let her :))
  • Carlysimon wrote: »
    In summary as of this evening what do we estimate the latest global BO numbers to be and what as a result do we think SP is on track for? Thanks

$543 million worldwide as of Sunday night. As for end result, who knows? Probably at least 800. Maybe 900 if it continues to hold well.