SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

• edited November 2015 Posts: 1,098
    Well..........we should get the full International breakdown soon, but a worldwide total getting close to $550 mil is very impressive, and in such a short time frame. Film is getting good word of mouth in North America, its just a shame that some critics there, were a bit out of order with their initial hateful reviews.
    I notice the chap Scott Mendelson, who wrote the Forbes review, saying SP was worst Bond film in 30 years, has been basically back tracking with his thoughts on the film and franchise, with his more recent articles on the subject!

International total is an est $419 mil.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    edited November 2015 Posts: 3,347
    Also should consider that Hunger Games will mostly effect US box office numbers as that series has a much lesser impact internationally than it does US. The first HG did 58% of box office in US and later installments have been closer to 50-50 whereas SF has 72.5% of the BO from non-US markets and SP so far is at a similar distribution.

I'm starting to think 1b is more likely and it could even make a run at SF
    SPECTRE won't get to a billion. I am repeating my self by now, but SP won't do 1b...and that's not disappointment!

I am kinda bummed out it didn't get to 650m (it needs that much to break even) in the 2nd week, but it will definitely get to it next week.

Where else is Spectre supposed to open ? Or is it already shown worldwide ?
    dragonsky wrote: »
    SPECTRE won't get to a billion. I am repeating my self by now, but SP won't do 1b...and that's not disappointment!

I am kinda bummed out it didn't get to 650m (it needs that much to break even) in the 2nd week, but it will definitely get to it next week.

Film yet to open in Japan on 4th Dec.............also due to tragic events in France.......film is on hold there, until cinemas re-open.

At this point a total of $900 mil seems a reasonable guess for SP worldwide!

• Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    Also should consider that Hunger Games will mostly effect US box office numbers as that series has a much lesser impact internationally than it does US. The first HG did 58% of box office in US and later installments have been closer to 50-50 whereas SF has 72.5% of the BO from non-US markets and SP so far is at a similar distribution.

I'm starting to think 1b is more likely and it could even make a run at SF
    Betting Hunger Games will probably take number one in the US this upcoming weekend as its very popular and the last film in the franchise. I'm definitely going to see it.

• MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    :( Well I can still hope it'll cross a billion!
    Update UK total BO for SP is now £79.5 mil or roughly around $120 mil.

SP is still going very strongly in the UK with a 3rd weekend total of £8.6 mil, which is only a little bit less than SF's 3rd weekend.

SP is now the 4th highest grossing film in the UK (excluding inflation adjustments), and is only 0.6 mil behind 3rd place Titanic........Avatar's total should be reached in the not too distant future, then Bond will occupy the 2 top places on UK all-time film chart.
    SF's total may be a bit too far ahead......but with weeks still ahead for SP playing at UK cinemas, its gonna get pretty close.

Anyway, the people who said SP would be all done by £80 mil...........were way wrong! :)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    mepal1 wrote: »
    Well..........we should get the full International breakdown soon, but a worldwide total getting close to $550 mil is very impressive, and in such a short time frame. Film is getting good word of mouth in North America, its just a shame that some critics there, were a bit out of order with their initial hateful reviews.
    I notice the chap Scott Mendelson, who wrote the Forbes review, saying SP was worst Bond film in 30 years, has been basically back tracking with his thoughts on the film and franchise, with his more recent articles on the subject!

International total is an est $419 mil.

That's because his deliberate attention-seeking negativity was something many people didn't give a **** about and it only demonstrated failure on his part and now a change in tune to be "in" with the masses is being employed as people are flocking to see this movie regardless and is making very good money.

dragonsky wrote: »

Film yet to open in Japan on 4th Dec.............also due to tragic events in France.......film is on hold there, until cinemas re-open.

At this point a total of $900 mil seems a reasonable guess for SP worldwide!

How much do movies usually do in Japan ?

If it passes 900m it will be great.

If I had to bet I'll say it will make 850m.

I guess next weekend will tell a lot for Spectre.With Hunger games making its worldwide debut, if Spctre doesn't have a huge drop we can be hopeful.
    In Japan.....the last 3 Bonds...............BO according to BO Mojo

SF = $32.5 mil
    QOS = $21.6 mil
    CR = $18.9 mil

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Is SPECTRE on course to match SF in terms of foreign boxoffice alone? I'm thinking it will make more than SF in China to offset any market where it lags behind, to end up about the same, no?

If this is the case, and SPECTRE can reach 200 million in the US, then it will just about stagger to 1 billion worldwide. Besides the US, I can't see anywhere where SP is pacing far behind SF.
  • Bit of trivia - SPECTRE becomes the first Bond film since The Living Daylights to occupy the No.1 spot in the US for its first two weekends.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Is SPECTRE on course to match SF in terms of foreign boxoffice alone? I'm thinking it will make more than SF in China to offset any market where it lags behind, to end up about the same, no?

If this is the case, and SPECTRE can reach 200 million in the US, then it will just about stagger to 1 billion worldwide. Besides the US, I can't see anywhere where SP is pacing far behind SF.
    It's on track for just over $100m if it has the same multiplier as SF. I don't think it will catch MI-RN at $138m (China top grosser) but it might.

The key to matching SF is the rate of drop off. It appears to have opened much stronger in most markets outside the US, but is also dropping off faster (% wise) which is what we expected. Next week is the key with the heavy hitter releases coming out.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I'm glad SP is still going strong. Those are still impressive numbers in North America ..and yes I'm glad it's going to at least breakeven... and beyond.

• edited November 2015 Posts: 11,119
    So "SPECTRE" has been in cinema's across the globe for 20 days now. Let's make some comparisons between "SKYFALL" and "SPECTRE"

"SPECTRE":
    --> 26.10.2015, Monday: UK premiere (countrywide)
    --> 06.11.2015, Friday: USA premiere
    --> 15.11.2015, Sunday: 20 days in cinema's across the globe, 9 days in cinema's across the USA/Canada

Box office results "SPECTRE" on 25.11.2012:
    --> $130.7 Million: Domestic Box Office (USA/Canada)
    --> $413.1 Million: Foreign Box Office
    --> $543,8 Million: Global Box Office (after 20 days in release, 9 days in the USA/Canada....11 days after UK release)

"SKYFALL":
    --> 26.10.2012, Friday: UK premiere (countrywide)
    --> 09.11.2012, Friday: USA premiere
    --> 25.11.2012, Sunday: 30 days in cinema's across the globe, 16 days in cinema's across the USA/Canada
    http://www.businessinsider.com/skyfall-crosses-200-million-in-the-us-2012-11

Box office results "SKYFALL" on 25.11.2012:
    --> $214.3 Million: Domestic Box Office (USA/Canada)
    --> $568.4 Million: Foreign Box Office
    --> $782.7 Million: Global Box Office (after 30 days in release, 16 days in the USA/Canada....14 days after UK release)

Let's see where "SPECTRE" stands at the end of next weekend / after 10 days from now. If it can bank another $20 Million during next, 3rd weekend, and if it can gross a similar amount as "The Night Before" (opens Friday) then it's looking good for "SPECTRE"s holdover. And it doesn't matter much if it's 2nd behind "Hunger Games" or 3rd behind "Hunger Games" and "The Night Before".
    'Gustav' i was confused, when initially looking at your figures for comparison between the 2 films....then i realised why.....you have dated Spectre's BO as 25.11.2012 :).

Anyway.....in 10 days time, with the film on practically full blown world-wide release the figures for SP should be pretty close to SF's by then..........IMO.
  • mepal1 wrote: »
    'Gustav' i was confused, when initially looking at your figures for comparison between the 2 films....then i realised why.....you have dated Spectre's BO as 25.11.2012 :).

Anyway.....in 10 days time, with the film on practically full blown world-wide release the figures for SP should be pretty close to SF's by then..........IMO.

Let's see....I'm sarting to think that it hassss a chance now of breaking the $1 Billion. But as @BondJames said...next week will be important. Let's see how it competes with that 4th "Hunger Games"-film (By the way, I saw the 3rd film this weekend....by jolly I was throwing up over this over-acting from Jennifer Lawrence. As a standalone film it was...eh...bad...to put it mildly). Let's see if it has legs, if it has strong holdover. But again, it has now proven.

I'm not so convinced "Hunger Games 4" will do as well as "SPECTRE" in China. "Hunger Games 3" was quite a flop there ($36 Million total gross). And it's a movie you only want to see if you saw the previous film.

$900 Million seems more and more a certainty.
    This 'Hunger Games' franchise......it really seems to be mainly appreciated by the Americans......and no one else.
    As i have said before, i've never seen these films, never ever met anyone who has been to watch these films, and i would probably hate someone if they ever talked to me about these films. :)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    Bit of trivia - SPECTRE becomes the first Bond film since The Living Daylights to occupy the No.1 spot in the US for its first two weekends.

That's amazing! Bit of a shame it won't reach to three due to 'Mockingjay Part 2.'
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 11,119
    This 'Hunger Games' franchise......it really seems to be mainly appreciated by the Americans......and no one else.
    As i have said before, i've never seen these films, never ever met anyone who has been to watch these films, and i would probably hate someone if they ever talked to me about these films. :)

You also linked to this article. And it really seems that the USA, so far...so far, is the only country where a major 'bump' has appeared as compared to SF. Deadline mentions that holdover for "SPECTRE" has been very strong for the oversees markets after three weeks. In fact, in many countries "SPECTRE" is currently outperforming "Skyfall" with comfortable numbers (especially newer markets)
    http://deadline.com/2015/11/spectre-prem-ratan-dhan-payo-martian-peanuts-paris-attacks-international-box-office-results-1201624317/ :

Other major openers included Australia with $8.7M (including previews) from 610 screens, which is on par with Skyfall. South-Korea opened to $8.2M (including previews) for the weekend from 1,100 screens, 2% ahead of Skyfall; New Zealand bowed with $1.3M (including previews) from 136 screens, on par with Bond 23.

In holds, the UK, where the film is now the 3rd highest grosser of all time, dropped just 36% with $13.1M from 2,100 screens. The cume there is $121M (pretty strong chance in besting "Skyfall"s $161 Million now). Germany slipped only 26% from opening to pull in a crazy $13.3M for its 2nd weekend. The local cume to date has reached $38.7M.

Here are the other major Sony Pictures cumes: Italy ($10M); Russia ($10.7M); The Netherlands ($11.8M); Mexico ($8.3M, surpassing the lifetime total of Skyfall by 7%); Brazil ($5.3M); and Spain ($5.6M).

As for the markets where MGM has the film, Denmark has made Spectre the highest-grossing film of the year at a $10.5M cume. That’s 23% ahead of Skyfall in local currency. Sweden has a similar boast with 007 now the top-grosser at a total $9.5M. Same for Norway at $7.4M; and Finland ($6.3M). Poland’s cume is now $6.5M (43% ahead of Skyfall in local currency); the United Arab Emirates has a total $4M (20% ahead of Skyfall locally; and Portugal is up 12% of Skyfall with $1.7M.

Damn, that frikkin' smaller of smallest country Denmark is going to beat MY small country Netherlands! Having just read this article, I think the $1 Billion mark needs to be looked upon again...
    As we've discussed before it's almost unfair to base international totals with SF because there are simply more theaters around the world these days. Plus inflation plays a part as well. I'm thinking 900 is the minimum the ways things are going now. 1 billion doesn't seem far fetched at all. I think that means Craig is back 100% guaranteed no matter what. 900-1000 million is a mandate from the world that he must come back. There's just no way EON doesn't beg, plead, threaten, do whatever they have to in order to get him back in the tux.

A new actor at this point is simply too big of a risk. Craig's Bond is now a license to print money. They ain't givin' that up yet. :D
    The Dutch and the Danes do seem to go big on Bond............i remember the Danish BO market was big for CR as it starred one of their own i.e. Mads Mikellson (not sure if i spelt that right).
  • MansfieldMansfield Where the hell have you been?
    A formidable second weekend for Spectre. I'd attribute that is some part to strong word of mouth. The audience doesn't seem to really care about the critical response, as indicated by its CinamaScore.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Mansfield wrote: »
    A formidable second weekend for Spectre. I'd attribute that is some part to strong word of mouth. The audience doesn't seem to really care about the critical response, as indicated by its CinamaScore.
    The Bond name has a lot of goodwill with people, as does DC. The lack of direct competition also helps (there's really nothing comparable out there at the moment and nearly everyone who wants to has already seen the Martian).
  • MansfieldMansfield Where the hell have you been?
    bondjames wrote: »
    The Bond name has a lot of goodwill with people, as does DC. The lack of direct competition also helps (there's really nothing comparable out there at the moment and nearly everyone who wants to has already seen the Martian).
    Lack of competition certainly helps. It exceeded expectations this week in the United States. Hopefully the actual values are close to the estimate.
    I was thinking the same when I saw it for a second time. Everyone at the theater buying a ticket was buying one for Bond. It was like the other films weren't even there. And when I posted on Facebook about how good it was people got excited and said they wanted to see it too. It's Bond. People know. They want more.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    Mansfield wrote: »

So these things attributed to the strong holdover:

--> Goodwill from the brand "Bond", especially after what "Skyfall" did
    --> Better vibe/reviews from audiences than critics (Cinemascore "A-")
    --> A lack of stiff competition in this 2nd week.

• @The_Reaper

I said it before and I will repeat it again and again.
    The negative effect that SP is facing from a stronger USD is much more significant than the positive effect from inflation. The whole EUR region, the Pound as well as some other relevant currencies (Japan, CHN) have all developed quite bad compared to SF time.

Which means: Same number of tickets does NOT mean same USD box office.

It would be even more impressive if you take this into consideration if SP comes close to the 1bn
  • danielcc wrote: »
    @The_Reaper

I said it before and I will repeat it again and again.
    The negative effect that SP is facing from a stronger USD is much more significant than the positive effect from inflation. The whole EUR region, the Pound as well as some other relevant currencies (Japan, CHN) have all developed quite bad compared to SF time.

Which means: Same number of tickets does NOT mean same USD box office.

It would be even more impressive if you take this into consideration if SP comes close to the 1bn

But then...this should count for all movies that came out this year. And so far.....it doesn't seem to be a big influence at all. On the contrary, 2015 is still pacing towards the most (insane) succesful box office year for cinema's ever. Just look to movies like "Furious 7", "Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation", "Inside Out", "Avengers 2: Age of Ultron", "Jurassic World" and "Minions".