SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    suavejmf wrote: »
    What's the gross so far for SP?

$325+ as of Thursday, there will be full reports on the weekend's worldwide take on Sunday night. With $30ish in US and 50+ in China it may hit 500 by Monday.

You need to use komma's and points, because I don't know what you mean...

I think he means this:
    $325m gross currently to Thurs
    $30M est. for US this weekend and $50M est. in China
    So by Monday it should be $500m or thereabouts
  • I meant it has earned $325 million as of Thursday. It should earn $30 million or more in the US this weekend, and $50 million or more in China, and then with the totals from the rest of the world added in, it may have $500 million by Monday.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 1,098
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Less than I thought so far....

Actually, it was a little higher upto end of Thurs, film had grossed $359.4 mil worldwide.

$95.3 mil in US, and $264.1 Int.

mepal1 said

"The cinema chains have been closed down in Paris for this weekend!"

Perhaps a wee bit of a crass statement bearing in the horrific events of yesterday.

There is absolutely nothing crass about what i posted, i was merely stating a fact........in reply to someone else's comment!

• Yeah this thread is a discussion of numbers and facts and nothing more, really. If you want to discuss the Paris situation, there's a thread for that. I don't think there's anything wrong with talking about how this will impact the box office.

Anyway, if you say $359, mepal1, I believe you. Where did you get that figure from? Boxofficemojo says 325 but that doesn't have the Mon-Thu from international numbers calculated in.

dinovelvet wrote: »
    Yeah this thread is a discussion of numbers and facts and nothing more, really. If you want to discuss the Paris situation, there's a thread for that. I don't think there's anything wrong with talking about how this will impact the box office.

Anyway, if you say $359, mepal1, I believe you. Where did you get that figure from? Boxofficemojo says 325 but that doesn't have the Mon-Thu from international numbers calculated in.

I get my info from a vast number of sources.

In general the media, and other BO sources, were stating that SP's Int' figure was $264.1, a couple of days ago.
    Yes, i have noticed that the Int figure for SP at Boxofficemojo, doesn't seem to be as upto data as other BO websites...........its not the first time, as BO Mojo's Int' figures can be a bit erratic at times.

• dinovelvet/mepal1

I apologise - it was perhaps the explanation mark. Just realised that you are just commenting on how this terrorist attack is having a detrimental effect on box office.
    dinovelvet/mepal1

I apologise - it was perhaps the explanation mark. Just realised that you are just commenting on how this terrorist attack is having a detrimental effect on box office.

ok :)
    Does anybody know what is being predicted for total UK gross after the weekend? Is it still expected to be ahead of SF at that point?
  • After this weekend, I think SP will have grossed about 530 million.
    So half way to the magic number!
    bondjames wrote: »
    Does anybody know what is being predicted for total UK gross after the weekend? Is it still expected to be ahead of SF at that point?

Ummm........good point. Its a bit awkward coz SP and SF didn't start on the same day....ie they are out of sync with each other, as SP started on a Monday evening, and basically had 4 preview days, which meant it got a great start, but it also means its weekends have been a bit weaker than SF's, coz people had already been to see the film.

I don't have SF's daily UK BO.........though someone has been giving me daily UK BO for SP...........and i should get Saturdays figure in a few hours time.

Based just on the BO for the weekends, SP is slowing down quicker than SF, but is still nevertheless doing very well indeed.

If we forget the few extra days SP has over SF, and just look at overall total after each weekend, then after 3rd weekend SF had $114,505,102

Spectre had by the end of Thursday had a UK total of around est £70.5 mil, and with current exchange rates of 1.52 that would make the total of an est $107.2 mil.

I believe SP will make around $10 mil this weekend in the UK..........so that would put the film, just ahead of SF.

For reference the exchange rate into dollars was more favourable, slightly in 2012.

Thanks @mepal1.

No, I realize that it opened on the Monday and so comparisons are not that easy. I meant even including that (which gave it a massive head start) whether it would be still ahead by Monday.

From what you mentioned above (and the higher % drop off) it looks like it still will be ahead by Monday (by roughly £3m). So, it's going to get interesting from then on, because it will then be very close to SF going forward.

If it gets hurt by the fx rate, it would be nice if they gave out the # of tickets sold to compare (not sure if the UK does that any more).
    bondjames wrote: »
    Thanks @mepal1.

If it gets hurt by the fx rate, it would be nice if they gave out the # of tickets sold to compare (not sure if the UK does that any more).

Yes............that's one thing about the UK Cinema that is annoying, just like in North America..........a films success is based on BO receipts...............while in Europe its based on Admissions.

Getting UK admission figures is very hard........and when you do find them they are generally only estimates.
    The British Film Institute, did a research study years ago to find out what was actually the most attended film in the UK.................answer........Gone with the wind....35m admissions.
    Thunderball was very high up in the list, can't remember the figure offhand.

Anyway, there is a European website, which does list the admissions of films in the US and European countries for films since 1995.............its just you have to wait at least 6 months after a film has been released for the data to be published.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Tracking for another $33.9 million in the U.S. for this weekend isn't bad at all. I'm curious now, though, if $900 million is more reasonable for this movie than $1 billion.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 1,098
    SP had a very good day at the UK BO on SAT with £3.7 mil, that's about $5.6 mil.
  • mepal1 wrote: »
    SP had a very good day at the UK BO on SAT with £3.7 mil, that's about $5.6 mil.
    Thank you for the information. At least, this sad weekend is going to be good for SP box office.

Indeed, the attacks in Paris will have a detrimental effect on all the movies that were out this week. Case in point: The theater in which I saw Spectre this afternoon had been closed yesterday, which means a whole day (a week-end day to boot) shot to hell. And the room it played in was half empty. The theater had allocated three rooms for the movie, expecting the same results as Skyfall. Seems it won't be the case. Spectre had one of the best opening day ever, I doubt it will have the best opening week-end. And that's putting it mildly.
    Apparently SP took in $35.4 million this weekend. So domestic North American total is now $130.7 million. The drop was 48% which is very good for a second week. For comparison, SF was at $160.9 million at the same point.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/box-office-spectre-by-the-sea-1201640958/
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    48million? Damn, that's impressive.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 252
    Strong 2nd weekend also in Austria, next week starts Mockingjay 2, but it's possible Bond beat MJ2
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    So we're already over half way to a billion, good news! :D

I saw SPECTRE for the first time last night in I MAX. The place wasn't packed, but it was pretty full. Impressive, considering SPECTRE has been out for over 2 weeks here in the UK. =D>
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    edited November 2015 Posts: 3,347
    Good results overall, especially in China and some traditionally smaller markets. The decrease in US was a good sign, but expected as almost no competition from new releases. As mentioned before, week 3 in the US will be the key indicator to the staying power as Hunger Games is widely released globally.

Skyfall earned an impressive 118.7m from week 3 on in the US (39% of the total take). This started with a strong and unexpected 43m in its third weekend. If SPECTRE can get near 30m, it would be very impressive, but I could see it easily dipping to 20m which would be more in line with SF's 4th weekend.

Looks like it will be a close race to 1b globally with the increase in other markets. I'm going to guess it finishes at 1.04b
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 11,119
    Good results overall, especially in China and some traditionally smaller markets. The decrease in US was a good sign, but expected as almost no competition from new releases.

Pundits were expecting a 2nd weekend of on and above $30 Million around Friday without real competition. Then the 'adjusted' prediction was around $33 Million. And now the final 2nd weekend estimate stands at $35.4 Million (a drop of 49.5%). It's rather impressive if you ask me, as pundits were expecting not such a good holdover due to bad reviews.

"SPECTRE"s estimated $48.2 Million weekend debut is especially impressive, because it comes from no 3D showings at all. And as you know China is 'addicted' for 3D showings. Actually, it was the biggest opening weekend for an imported 2D film in China.

This puts a smile on my face :-). It always is a good feeling if a Bond film is still able to destroy other spy franchises at the int. box office, like "Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation" \m/ .
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 252
    And as you know China is 'addicted' for 3D showings. Actually, it was the biggest opening weekend for an imported 2D film in China.

Really, was Furious 7 in 3D in China?
    Bernie99 wrote: »
    And as you know China is 'addicted' for 3D showings. Actually, it was the biggest opening weekend for an imported 2D film in China.

Really, was Furious 7 in 3D in China?
    Yes.
  • Playing "Safe House" from the "SPECTRE"-soundtrack while reading this news :-).
    And let's remember that next weekend in the US is not the end all, be all of its total before competition comes. The four "regular" days of this past week SP made almost 25 million. If it can do half that this coming week Mon-Thurs that puts its US total at 143 and than maybe another 18 million next weekend to go over 160. So it's crushing it towards 200 easy.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 11,119
    Especially this is news "Cubby" would have loved to read. And obviously Barbara and Michael love this news too:

http://pro.boxoffice.com/latest-news/2015-11-14-north-america-early-weekend-estimates-spectre-34m-peanuts-235m-repeat-over-openers-love-the-coopers-85m-the-33-55m-my-all-american-15m
    While this weekend's hold was helped by the relative lack of new competition in the marketplace, it also suggests that Spectre is going over better with moviegoers than it has with critics and is a positive sign for the film going forward.