SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

Anyway on a more positive note SP is now upto 6th place in the UK all-time BO list (not inflation-adjusted).

Film has surpassed Mamma Mia. I can't get it into my head that this film was such a success in the UK, i mean we all liked ABBA, but i don't remember Pierce Brosnan being a band member, anyway i was the one person in the UK who didn't see the film.

SP should pass Harry Pothead DH2, and Toy Story 3 to be in 4th position after the weekend!............then Bond will be chasing the boat, Titanic.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    mepal1 wrote: »
    SP should pass Harry Pothead DH2

His name is John McCain. Or did you mean Willis in real life?
    SP did nearly £2mil ($3mil) Friday in UK for start of 3rd weekend..............so it could be about $10 mil for the weekend......we will see!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    We have to consider that there may be a dip in box office in some European cities this weekend due to the Paris tragedy. People are grieving and some may not want to be in a public place in the dark.
    bondjames wrote: »
    We have to consider that there may be a dip in box office in some European cities this weekend due to the Paris tragedy. People are grieving and some may not want to be in a public place in the dark.

That certainly will be true for Paris. Very understandable. As of Europe, I doubt, it will have an impact. Sometimes people even tend to want to get away from the negative and console themselves with the movies.

• edited November 2015 Posts: 389
    Germanlady wrote: »

That certainly will be true for Paris. Very understandable. As of Europe, I doubt, it will have an impact. Sometimes people even tend to want to get away from the negative and console themselves with the movies.

French box-office will be much worse than expected because of this. However, in the rest of Europe the impact won´t be as big . Anyway, it´s a shame and a tragedy, f.. terrorists!!!.
  • mepal1 wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    What is up with those Peanuts?

As a kid, I found it utterly boring and still feel the same way.

I think it's bound to scare kids. Look at Charlie Brown!
    hqdefault.jpg
    Nightmare fuel if you ask me.

That is one ugly kid!

Burn it, burn it with FIRE!
  • I don't care for the box office, or for Bond at the moment. What has happened yesterday is beyond belief. My heart is with all the victims in Paris, France.
    Want to see great B/O for Spectre but with what's happened in Paris, B/O does not mean a thing right now.
  • RogueAgent wrote: »
    Want to see great B/O for Spectre but with what's happened in Paris, B/O does not mean a thing right now.
    In difficult days, like today, I need Bond and all my trivial hobbies more than ever. However, I apreciate much more the really important things in life.
    Bond got off to a great start in the previews in Paris...........but obviously with the terrible events there, cinema going is not on the agenda at the moment.

In the US........SP earned a decent est $10.2 mil Friday, and in

China the film has started very well with an estimated $34.5 mil total so far (Fri & Sat)
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 709

China the film has started very well with an estimated $34.5 mil total so far (Fri & Sat)

Aha, well its three day opening in China was...34.2 million, so good to see there's been some improvement there.
    Bond got off to a great start in the previews in Paris...........but obviously with the terrible events there, cinema going is not on the agenda at the moment.

Yeah, maybe...or maybe people will want to show defiance and go anyway. The Dark Knight Rises had a mass theater shooting in the US on opening day, didn't seem to slow it down at the box office much.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    34.5 million in a couple of days for China and SF made 59 million entirely over there...Hmmm...this is promising.
    dinovelvet wrote: »

Yeah, maybe...or maybe people will want to show defiance and go anyway. The Dark Knight Rises had a mass theater shooting in the US on opening day, didn't seem to slow it down at the box office much.

The cinema chains have been closed down in Paris for this weekend!

• This means:

$ 00.81 Million: Thursday (very limited midnight screenings)
    $ 14.22 Million: Friday (43% of all screens)
    $ 19.50 Million: Saturday (76% of all screens)
    $ 34.53 Million so far. And we haven't had Sunday yet.

The entire opening weekend (Friday-Saturday-Sunday) for "Skyfall", including some Thursday screenings, was:
    $ 34,23 Million
    So are we saying that SF made $34.23m in the first weekend and only $59m in its entire run? That's a really poor & unusual multiplier? Why is this? Did it have a short run in the theatres or something?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I agree if that is the case then China's BO doesn't inspire much hope and promise.
    Regarding SP making a profit..........most film industry analysts, reckon the film needs to make at least $650 mil, before going into the black, which the film should do with ease now. By tomorrow night the film should of reached around $500 mil (even with the French market being temporary closed for now).
    The film will still be doing business, for quite a long while yet............even though early-to mid December is the BO graveyard period. SP despite the competition, will still be accumulating decent small sums of money over the xmas and NY period, just like the previous Craig Bonds have managed to do so.
    Then, next year the dvd and blu-ray market, together with TV sales, is reckoned to be worth an estimated $290 mil.
    So, there's plenty of dosh, still for Bond!
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 11,119
    So are we saying that SF made $34.23m in the first weekend and only $59m in its entire run? That's a really poor & unusual multiplier? Why is this? Did it have a short run in the theatres or something?

It was out 2.5 months later. So that makes a movie in China prone to illegal downloading and bootlegging.

This time around it's much different.

It was out 2.5 months later. So that makes a movie in China prone to illegal downloading and bootlegging.

Ok that explains it. Thanks. That's still a really surprisingly low multiplier though.
  • mepal1 said

"The cinema chains have been closed down in Paris for this weekend!"

Perhaps a wee bit of a crass statement bearing in the horrific events of yesterday.

It does appear foreign films are very heavily front loaded in China..........plus films are only allowed to run for a month!

It does appear foreign films are very heavily front loaded in China..........plus films are only allowed to run for a month!
    Wow.

See, this is where Hollywood needs to put its foot down. They want access to Western films.....then open the market for pete's sake. They do this brilliantly with everything: cars, consumer products etc. and Western govts/companies just play along, chasing the $. Trump may have a point here.......we need some stronger negotiators.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I don't think it makes much sense to compare SF BO to SP BO that early on.

The opening dates and order in 2012 was also very different to how SP opened/opens where and when.

I still believe and always have that Spectre will at the end be the second highest grossing Bond movie of all time.

If you look at the growth rate of BO for Bond since 1995, you'll see that it was quite steadily growing from 1995 to 2008 BO wise with more or less the same amount of tickets sold.

SF really was an exception.

SP probably will sell less tickets than SF but still more than GE, DAD or CR due to the Skyfall effect.

Bond 25 on the other hand might fall back to the amount of tickets sold before SF.
    BO wise it will still be more because of always higher ticket prices, my guess around 850 million.

Of course there is the other possibility that Spectre will sell as much tickets as SF and take in more than 1.1 billion.
    In that case the Bond franchise really has made the jump to a billion dollar franchise.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 11,119

Ok that explains it. Thanks. That's still a really surprisingly low multiplier though.

I've been saying that for years @BondJames....especially in this topic ;-). "Skyfall" was a good success in China. Very similar in business as compared to "The Dark Knight Rises" ($52 Million total gross in China). Still, during the past 2.5 years the number of cinema's in China has doubled. So comparing 2015 with 2012 is difficult.

Also, on Friday "SPECTRE" opened in 43% of all the Chinese cinema's where it will open. Today that percentage was 76%. Roll-out of movies in China goes way slower.
    I've no doubt that it will beat SF's gross @Gustav_Graves, I'm just surprised about the SF multiplier, that's all. Also, if it really is one month or so for foreign releases to run in theatres, that's very different from North America/Europe, so the marketing campaign has to be very intense & front loaded I suppose.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    What's the gross so far for SP?
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 709
    suavejmf wrote: »

$325+ as of Thursday, there will be full reports on the weekend's worldwide take on Sunday night. With $30ish in US and 50+ in China it may hit 500 by Monday.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Less than I thought so far....
  • dinovelvet wrote: »
    suavejmf wrote: »

$325+ as of Thursday, there will be full reports on the weekend's worldwide take on Sunday night. With $30ish in US and 50+ in China it may hit 500 by Monday.

You need to use komma's and points, because I don't know what you mean...