SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

I am just glad the public all over the world are voting with their feet and ignoring the critics by going to see this movie!
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    I am just glad the public all over the world are voting with their feet and ignoring the critics by going to see this movie!

Yes, thank you.
    Greek numbers just came in: 166.068 tickets in first four days which is huge, barely surpassing Skyfall's 165.301 tickets. Skyfall ended up being the biggest movie of the year in Greece, with over 500.000 tickets
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 11,119
    nikos78 wrote: »
    Greek numbers just came in: 166.068 tickets in first four days which is huge, barely surpassing Skyfall's 165.301 tickets. Skyfall ended up being the biggest movie of the year in Greece, with over 500.000 tickets

In The Netherlands "SPECTRE" will now almost certainly surpass the previous box office gross of "Skyfall". And not by small numbers.

Total box office gross "SKYFALL" 2012:
    --> $25,100,238

Total box office gross "SPECTRE" 2015 (after 18 days in cinema's):
    --> $11,792,000

This is a whopping 9,3% more (!!!) than the total earnings of "SKYFALL" after 18 days =P~ .

Moreover, Scott Mendelsohn from Forbes.....I actually like reading his latest article now :-P:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/11/15/spectre-box-office-bond-plays-like-bourne-in-us-nears-550m-worldwide/
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    The dropoff in the US is actually impressive. Blockbusters usually nosedive in the second week. They opened it at the perfect time here.

http://deadline.com/2015/11/spectre-second-weekend-by-the-sea-bombing-angelina-jolie-brad-pitt-1201622151/
  • @The_Reaper:
    Of course it applies to all movies this year but it is only relevant once you compare SF to SP. That's my point.
    China update:- SP BO on Monday = 32.4 mil yuan = $5.1 mil.......total so far $53.2 mil
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    mepal1 wrote: »
    China update:- SP BO on Monday = 32.4 mil yuan = $5.1 mil.......total so far $53.2 mil

That is insane.
  • mepal1 wrote: »

That is insane.

Ehhh, yes. This is a bit...ehmmm.....scary? Blofeld's marketing tentacles clearly worked ;-).

SP is doing a lot better, than many people realise.
    The current exchange rates are hurting the film quite a bit, in comparison to SF, but the film is still besting even that film in many markets.
    I have seen figures, where people have done exchange rate calculations on the current list of worldwide BO champs, and when SF's converted total is put into 2015 figures, it has been estimated that SF wouldn't of reached $1.1 bil today, in fact not even $1 bil, but somewhere around $980 mil.
    Of course it is all subjective, but it does show that overall SP is performing very well indeed. Shame about North America though.......but that's another story!
    mepal1 wrote: »
    SP is doing a lot better, than many people realise.
    The current exchange rates are hurting the film quite a bit, in comparison to SF, but the film is still besting even that film in many markets.
    I have seen figures, where people have done exchange rate calculations on the current list of worldwide BO champs, and when SF's converted total is put into 2015 figures, it has been estimated that SF wouldn't of reached $1.1 bil today, in fact not even $1 bil, but somewhere around $980 mil.
    Of course it is all subjective, but it does show that overall SP is performing very well indeed. Shame about North America though.......but that's another story!

I have a feeling SPECTRE will have decent legs in NA. It will probably end up around 200 million, IMO.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I have a feeling SPECTRE will have decent legs in NA. It will probably end up around 200 million, IMO.
    Yes, $200m or thereabouts was always a given. Keep in mind though that this is only slightly above QoS however, when one takes into account ticket inflation and IMAX etc. So we appear to be back at the 'trendline' (which Bond was at for yrs) in North America, with SF being the unusual outlier.

I'm still waiting to see how this film does outside N.A. in week 3. That to me is a big test of its 'legs'. It was expected that it would blow the doors off SF in the opening weeks, given it was the successor to the most successful Bond film. The anticipation was huge.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Yes, $200m or thereabouts was always a given. Keep in mind though that this is only slightly above QoS however, when one takes into account ticket inflation and IMAX etc. So we appear to be back at the 'trendline' (which Bond was at for yrs) in North America, with SF being the unusual outlier.

I'm still waiting to see how this film does outside N.A. in week 3. That to me is a big test of its 'legs'. It was expected that it would blow the doors off SF in the opening weeks, given it was the successor to the most successful Bond film. The anticipation is huge.

SPECTRE just made 5M dollars in China on a monday. For a 2D film, that's phenomenal. SPECTRE will fly past the Skyfall total gross in the next couple of days, so I'd say 1 billion is (let's say) still on the cards for now. Anything can change in the coming days...

I'm still waiting to see how this film does outside N.A. in week 3. That to me is a big test of its 'legs'. It was expected that it would blow the doors off SF in the opening weeks, given it was the successor to the most successful Bond film. The anticipation is huge.

SPECTRE just made 5M dollars in China on a monday. For a 2D film, that's phenomenal. SPECTRE will fly past the Skyfall total gross in the next couple of days, so I'd say 1 billion is (let's say) still on the cards for now. Anything can change in the coming days...
    Yes, China was definitely going to exceed SF. I'm interested to see if it can surpass the top grosser there (MI-RN). I think, so far, it's ahead. That film made $138m.

$1bn is possible, but as mentioned, it will depend on the 'legs' starting in week 3. That is where SF really shone.....it just kept going and going and going in a lot of markets......
    danielcc wrote: »
    @The_Reaper:
    Of course it applies to all movies this year but it is only relevant once you compare SF to SP. That's my point.

I'm not the one that said that. :(
  • bondjames wrote: »

I'm still waiting to see how this film does outside N.A. in week 3. That to me is a big test of its 'legs'. It was expected that it would blow the doors off SF in the opening weeks, given it was the successor to the most successful Bond film. The anticipation was huge.

There's not a lot of "test" anymore. Yes, upcoming week "Hunger Games 4" premieres. But for the rest of 2015 there is no 2D, normal action blockbuster in cinema anymore. Off course "Hunger Games 4" will hurt the holdover a bit.

Again, my previous point about exchange rates and stuff...it's comparing apples and pears really. Other movies this year have the same disadvantage. And a strong Dollar well influence all businesses of movie companies: Both investments (production budgets) as well as turnovers and profits.

You need to see "SPECTRE" in the light of this year's blockbusters, and perhaps less with "Skyfall".

"Rogue Nation" had the same 'strong dollar' as compared to "SPECTRE". Still, it did good stuff at the box office, and it cashed a lot of money, despite the exchange rate. Same with "Avengers 2" as compared with "Avengers 1".

And like I mentioned before, the China box office is heavily compensating against the strong Dollar. If within three yours your country's number of cinema's have doubled or tripled the number of 2012, then 'exchange rates' and 'strong Dollar' become a rather fluidic means of comparison.
    There's not a lot of "test" anymore.
    It's a test only because SF was the one Bond film to continue everywhere with tremendous 3rd week and future week box office grosses.....along with CR (even more so in the US). QoS didn't, but rather acted like a normal blockbuster.

So we can't really say yet how SP is going to behave (traditionally, or more like SF/CR). We're not there yet.
    Just got to hope that the Chinese BO for SP holds up........as films in that market have been known to fizzle out very quickly indeed. I hope SP reaches a total in that market, of no less than a $100 mil.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    There's not a lot of "test" anymore.
    It's a test only because SF was the one Bond film to continue everywhere with tremendous 3rd week and future week box office grosses.....along with CR (even more so in the US). QoS didn't, but rather acted like a normal blockbuster.

So we can't really say yet how SP is going to behave (traditionally, or more like SF/CR). We're not there yet.

Let's see. But I think at this stage certain doomsday scenario's on IMDB, where people predict a global box office gross of $700 Million to max $850 Million, are out of the question now. $900 Million, like you mentioned a couple of times is more or less the minimum "SPECTRE" will gross globally.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited November 2015 Posts: 40,468
    I'd say $700-850 million is a little too low for SP, and $1.2 billion is definitely too high for SP. I see it ending around $950 million to a little over $1 billion.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

Yes, China was definitely going to exceed SF. I'm interested to see if it can surpass the top grosser there (MI-RN). I think, so far, it's ahead. That film made $138m.

$1bn is possible, but as mentioned, it will depend on the 'legs' starting in week 3. That is where SF really shone.....it just kept going and going and going in a lot of markets......

I seem to remember SF was still playing in cinemas in February of 2013.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 389
    I am still predicting 800-900 million, but I am conservative.
  • I am still predicting 800-900 million, but I am conservative.

The opposite of conservative is: Indeed, progressive ;-).
    doubleoego wrote: »

I seem to remember SF was still playing in cinemas in February of 2013.

It sure was.........SF's run in the UK extended into early March 2013.

We have a long way to go yet!
    US actual weekend gross for SP has been posted, and its less than the estimated sum.

Actual $33,681,104...........total $128,981,285...........a little bit disappointing again, as it is quite a bit off the estimated $35.4 mil.
  • Sunday was a bit worse than expected, but it is still a good weekend.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I don't think it's far-fetched to see SP passing the coveted billion dollar mark at all. I've seen it outperforming SF in a lot of areas, China being just one example, and despite some North American declines, I have high hopes that the film will meet the standard. I can see it getting very, very close to SF or, with a bit of luck, passing it clear.

Obviously the coming weeks with their big releases will be telling about how it will fair until the rest of the year and well into the new one. Forget Hunger Games, Star Wars is going to be the real decider of SP's overall performance. Star Wars will absolutely destroy every single box office record going now. Just pre-sale ticket purchases for the movie broke the internet.

I never spend any time looking at box office numbers or caring at all about what a film makes, but there are two times where there is an exception: any Batman related movies and James Bond. I've made a habit of checking Box Office Mojo like a shaky addict these couple of weeks just seeing how SP is doing in comparison to SF. I'll be doing much the same thing early next year when Batman v. Superman comes out. I can't help it, really. Do I have a problem?
    I don't think it's far-fetched to see SP passing the coveted billion dollar mark at all. I've seen it outperforming SF in a lot of areas, China being just one example, and despite some North American declines, I have high hopes that the film will meet the standard. I can see it getting very, very close to SF or, with a bit of luck, passing it clear.

Obviously the coming weeks with their big releases will be telling about how it will fair until the rest of the year and well into the new one. Forget Hunger Games, Star Wars is going to be the real decider of SP's overall performance. Star Wars will absolutely destroy every single box office record going now. Just pre-sale ticket purchases for the movie broke the internet.

I never spend any time looking at box office numbers or caring at all about what a film makes, but there are two times where there is an exception: any Batman related movies and James Bond. I've made a habit of checking Box Office Mojo like a shaky addict these couple of weeks just seeing how SP is doing in comparison to SF. I'll be doing much the same thing early next year when Batman v. Superman comes out. I can't help it, really. Do I have a problem?

Umm......doesn't look like SP will end up with similar total to SF, for a few reasons.

It looks likely now that SP will gross some $200 mil in the US............and thats a deficit of some $100 mil to start off with.

The grosses in Europe and most other parts of the world will have similar grosses to SF, or slightly more at best, but despite higher admissions for SP overseas, the exchange rate is killing the film a bit..........so we wont have such high grosses in Germany, France and Australia as examples. The exchange rate has really battered the takings at the Russian and Brazilian box offices.
    The UK as usual, being the home of Bond............is anchoring the film overseas, and will end up with a gross, very close to SF.
    So, really for the film SP to challenge SF, the film would have to rely on a huge Chinese BO take, and i can't see the films BO takings there compensating for the losses elsewhere. $100+ mil looks a good bet for Chinese BO.

Regarding, checking BO statistics, no you don't have a problem, as many people like to check out figures for their favourite films.........and if it was a problem, then that would mean many of us are in that category as well! :)
  • Sunday was a bit worse than expected, but it is still a good weekend.

Yeah they've overestimated the Sunday take twice in a row now. Probably didn't account for the male demo being busy with NFL games
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    Sunday was a bit worse than expected, but it is still a good weekend.

Yeah they've overestimated the Sunday take twice in a row now. Probably didn't account for the male demo being busy with NFL games

The studios keep doing this though, it happens to most films for the Sunday estimates.
    You would of thought by now, the studios would of learnt, to take at least a percentage off the Sunday estimated take. Its quite obvious that as in the States people would be watching the Sunday Sports games instead...............but then maybe, the studios do this deliberately, as it looks good in the media reports in the headlines of the BO reports for the weekend, if the figures quoted are slightly optimistic!