SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

Latest news coming out of France.....is that SP may have set a new opening record there, with 900,000+ admissions on opening day!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Looks like the rest of the world is filling in for America's lack of interest. I wouldn't be surprised if SP makes 150 million in China alone.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 11,119
    http://deadline.com/2015/11/spectre-peanuts-box-office-the-33-love-the-coopers-1201618752/:
    Three new wide releases will hit theaters this Friday, but James Bond will judo chop them all. For Sony/MGM/Eon’s Spectre, a No. 1 opening weekend is not enough, so it’s going to take No. 1 again in its second go-round with $35M-$39M, a dip that’s between -45% and -50% per industry projections.

That will make it the first Daniel Craig 007 title of the four to hold No. 1 for two weekends in a row. Spectre‘s sophomore hold will likely best the second frames of Skyfall (-54%) and Quantum Of Solace (-60%), both of which respectively braved Twilight and The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2. Through five-days, Spectre has collected $83M, which is 24% behind Skyfall at the same point in time.

Overseas Spectre will continue to steamroll into France, China, Australia, Japan and South Korea. Those five territories alone rang up over $220M of Skyfall‘s $804M foreign tally.

So these five foreign countries accumulated a foreign box office tally of $220M:
    --> $60,127,766: France
    --> $59,234,352: China
    --> $49,976,352: Australia
    --> $32,497,509: Japan
    --> $16,050,743: South-Korea
    Add Mexico to that list, so we can make better comparisons:
    --> $09,927,335: Mexico

So above six countries made up $228 Million out of a total foreign box office figure of $804 Million.

So let's predict what some of these countries will do for "SPECTRE":
    --> Mexico: Has grossed $04,498,070 after 5 days (doubling the first 5 days of "Skyfall" there, which was $02,684,294), including one full weekend. Expect the Mexico figure to comfortably surpass the "Skyfall" gross of $09,927,335. I guess a final box office tally of $20-$25 Million up there is entirely possible
    --> China: Although it may seem a bit lacklustre if "SPECTRE" will gross 'only' $100-$115 Million, but that's still a huge, very huge improvement over "Skyfall". That extra $50 Million would be greatly appreciated. But to be very realistic? I think, given the ideal premiere date, only one week after the US premiere, the box office tally for "SPECTRE" can even shoot up towards the high end of $150 Million.

So only these two countries would already gross around $160-$170 Million. Add to that France ($55 Million, taking into account "SPECTRE" will do slightly less business there), Australia (same story, roughly $43 Million perhaps), Japan (let's say $30 Million) and South-Korea (let's say $15 Million) = around $318 Million from these 6 countries.

The rest of the foreign box office grossed $586 Million for "Skyfall" in 2012. Let's say that figure will go down slightly for "SPECTRE": $525 Million. Add up the gross of the other 6 countries:

$525 Million
    $318 Million +
    $843 Million foreign box office gross. Slightly up in comparison to "Skyfall"s $804 Million.

Now you can do the calculation for the US box office gross and "SPECTRE" still has a realistic shot of crossing the $1 Billion mark. So everyone in here who's saying the worldwide box office gross of "SPECTRE" will stall around $850 Million aren't realistic.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Spectre becoming the second most successful James Bond movie by far is already a given. Shows that EON did everything right again and not trying just to copy the SF phenomenon.

BO is proof of that. Despite the mixed reviews it shatters many BO records in various countries.
    Now imagine the critics would have been full of praise like they were in 2012.
    Now imagine the critics would have been full of praise like they were in 2012.

That was a bit my prediction. And in a weird kind of way I kind of predicted this kind of Bond adventure, and I thought the USA would love it. If that was the case, $1.2 Billion or more was a certainty. Sadly: SonyLeaks.

Still, I am happy :)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    bondjames wrote: »
    mepal1 wrote: »
    From comments from Chinese film fans on the internet...........the early word is looking very good for 'Spectre'.......and it looks like the film is going to take a massive chunk percentage wise of this weekends BO takings.
    Meanwhile 'The Peanuts Movie' or 'Snoopy' as its called in China is doing very poorly, apparently the Chinese know jack s**t about this character, and are just not interested in it.

Peanuts shouldn't be a factor in China. Regardless, SP's China gross is unlikely to come in over $100m to $115m on the top end I would think. I'd be surprised if it exceeds this.....pleasantly surprised.

You should feel happy with whatever figure comes out of China. And not make it sound like it is 'Peanuts' :-). And don't forget there were quite a few poor performers in China.

Let me repeat my above statement again. Highlighted comment is there for emphasis, in case you missed it the first time (it happens).
    bondjames wrote: »
    Peanuts shouldn't be a factor in China. Regardless, SP's China gross is unlikely to come in over $100m to $115m on the top end I would think. I'd be surprised if it exceeds this.....pleasantly surprised.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited November 2015 Posts: 8,079
    I agree with @GustavGraves, SPECTRE can make 100 million dollars less than Skyfall and still hit that magical 1B mark. People here are losing hope unduly. :-bd

Also, I think america will do better than expected. Sure, it opened soft, but Tuesday and Wednesday will show stronger holds than SF, leading into a second weekend in the number 1 position! When all is said and done, SP will come between 200-250M US. We're already forecast growth from China, Mexico, UK etc. So rest assured, 1 Billion is still most definitely on the cards! ;)
  • I admire your optimism, but 900 million would be amazing.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    edited November 2015 Posts: 2,495
    According to [url="http://www.urbancinefile.com.au/home/boxoffice.asp]Urban Cinefile[/url], Spectre has taken AU$750,071 at the Australian box office on opening day, with some preview screenings yesterday.
  • Good or bad?
  • I admire your optimism, but 900 million would be amazing.

Optimism....perhaps.......but backed with some calculations and arguments....I have yet to see those from you :-).
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    According to [url="http://www.urbancinefile.com.au/home/boxoffice.asp]Urban Cinefile[/url], Spectre has taken $750,071 at the Australian box office on opening day, with some preview screenings yesterday.

Australian or American Dollars?

Anyway, these are figures from very limited preview screenings from November 5th till November 11th. So I can't use that figure of $750,071....

Reviews from that site are very good though: http://www.urbancinefile.com.au/home/view.asp?a=21352&s=Reviews
    Don't worry people, a vast majority likes this movie in Europe/East and here the money gets made.
    WOM is really good here, anybody I talk to found SP to be better than SF or at least as good.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Does anybody have any idea about profit breakdown? Roughly speaking?

I had read/heard somewhere that the far east contributes less to overall profits than North America due to some profit sharing with theatre chains etc. I'm not sure if the same applies to Europe outside the UK.

My point being that not all $ gross is the same. Babs & Co net more in some areas compared to others.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Good or bad?

I don't follow the Australian box office that closely, but I'd say good. It's currently up against 'The Dressmaker', 'Bridge of Spies', 'The Martian' and 'The Last Witch Hunter' which have all been out for a few weeks. 'The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2' opens next Thursday, which will be its biggest competition.

Every cinema pretty much has 1-3 screenings of the film per hour, and Spectre posters have dominated most cinemas chains since June. Though quite a few still haven't gotten the new posters in. So, it's going to be big down here ... or they're assuming it will be.
    The distribution companies have the say.
    For example it is Walt Disney Corp that is responsible for Spectre in Switzerland.
    50/50 is the rule but it has shifted to more of 60/40 in favour of the distributor.
    The distribution companies have the say.
    For example it is Walt Disney Corp that is responsible for Spectre in Switzerland.
    50/50 is the rule but it has shifted to more of 60/40 in favour of the distributor.

Thx.
  • I know I talk almost in the desert with box office afficionados here, but I'll write it nevertheless :

Sony was very offensive to make Spectre an all-time opening day record in France (and it succeeded) by merging 2 days of box office into one : a movie theater representative said that Sony would let his theater show Spectre on Tuesday only if they guaranteed it would show it massively Tuesday and Wednesday and that it would give him the attendance figures within hours.

You'll read that Spectre did 850.000 viewers in France in the first day, and then that it broke all records. Actually, it did 270.000 on Tuesday, and 580.000 on Wednesday. But they count Tuesday "in" Wednesday because they were "avant-premiere"...
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    So what's the overall total BO so far?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    doubleoego wrote: »
    So what's the overall total BO so far?

11 dollars according to danielcraigisnotbond.com.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    :))

Those people are incredible. How anyone can harbor such a meaningless grudge for so long is beyond me.
  • doubleoego wrote: »

Those people are incredible. How anyone can harbor such a meaningless grudge for so long is beyond me.

I sometimes even wonder if some of our own forummembers are posting in there ;)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

With some of the linked discussions I've seen before, there are absolutely members on this site who are also members of that forum.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Im so gald Spectre is doing so well at the Box internationally and we are rescuing the cold reception from the US with Mexico Standing out im glad we are more fans than i thought we were.

Now im shocked by this reception in the US, i thought Bond was more popular over there, maybe it was an over crowded year and the Licence to kill situation was repeated but thankfully saved by the foreign market.

Creasy47 wrote: »

With some of the linked discussions I've seen before, there are absolutely members on this site who are also members of that forum.

Those are called counterspies :))
  • RC7RC7
    echo wrote: »

This is like a red rag to the anti-Brosnan bull.

He makes a good point in playing down the 'fear' of DC's departure. Bond will carry on regardless and will have it's ups and downs along the way.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 1,098

As i'am a spy............i know for a fact that quite a few members here post there, and vis versa.............but i won't divulge names! :) ;)
    SP grossed $7,915,302 on WED in North America for a running total of $90,957,011.

Wed was a Veterans day hol, and i'am surprised SP didnt haul in more cash, and get into double figures as SF managed on equivalent day. SP was only 8% up from Tuesday. It seems that from the figures posted, many people went to see the kiddies flicks instead like 'Peanuts'.

Anyway SP still doing pretty good business, and it at least after 6 days has passed the entire gross of 'Terminator Genisys'. :)
    Gotta, to some degree, blame the ludicrous Rotten Tomatoes website -- which ranks DAF higher than SP! (I've not yet seen SP but find it impossible that DAF could be the better movie.)