SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    They should have just combined SP and Peanuts into one film in North America. Charlie Brown as Bond, Lucy, another psychiatrist ("the doctor is in") as Swann, the teacher that talks in "woee's" as Obenhauser, and Snoopy as Q.

Everybody would've been happy :D

The box office for monday in the US is in 5,3m http://www.boxofficemojo.com/
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 389
    The box office for monday in the US is in 5,3m http://www.boxofficemojo.com/
    Fair enough! The smallest decrease in the Top 4 and 1.2 million better than Quantum.

I got no idea what Skyfall made so i can't compare... Anyone?
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 1,098
    I got no idea what Skyfall made so i can't compare... Anyone?

Hi......if you look a few posts back you will see that this has already been posted :)

Anyway.......

Skyfall made $11,327,664 on the equivalent day, but that Monday back then just happened to be a holiday!
  • I am happy that so far "SPECTRE" is outperforming "Skyfall" in the overseas/foreign markets.
  • after 12 days the box office tally in The Netherlands now stands at $8.2 Million:
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=bond24.htm
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 2,015
    To all those claiming there is a anti-Bond bias in the US critics and so on, here are the 20 top French critics ratings of SPECTRE as listed by our main French cinema site :

675669Capture.jpg

It is quite remarkable that it gives an average of 3.2/5, that is exactly the same average ratings as on Rotten Tomatoes, that is based far more on US critics. So French would have the same bias if you think there's a bias.

The irony is that for me, SPECTRE somehow feels like a Hollywood PTS followed by a French action movie :)

PS : In a recent French interview, Craig said he had so much time to spend at the hospital for his knee that he would have the time to learn French.
    PPS : He started the interview by saying he says a lot of bullsh.. in his interviews ;)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Craig Bond falls for French women and combines seduction with interrogation for Italian women.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 11,119
    To all those claiming there is a anti-Bond bias in the US critics and so on, here are the 20 top French critics ratings of SPECTRE as listed by our main French cinema site :

675669Capture.jpg

It is quite remarkable that it gives an average of 3.2/5, that is exactly the same average ratings as on Rotten Tomatoes, that is based far more on US critics. So French would have the same bias if you think there's a bias.

The irony is that for me, SPECTRE somehow feels like a Hollywood PTS followed by a French action movie :)

PS : In a recent French interview, Craig said he had so much time to spend at the hospital for his knee that he would have the time to learn French.
    PPS : He started the interview by saying he says a lot of bullsh.. in his interviews ;)

Yeah well, that doesn't surprise me. It's France we're talking about :-P. Now what interests me more, is what you thoughtof the film @Suivez_ce_parachute
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    France has a natural dislike for anything British and vice versa. I'm pretty sure that has a lot to do with it.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 1,098
    France has a natural dislike for anything British and vice versa. I'm pretty sure that has a lot to do with it.

Yes.......its true..........and the French BO for Bond is not that brilliant, considering is population size.
    The rest of Northern Europe, however are massive Bond fans though!
    Quite good reviews, as far as I know, French critics are not very enthusiastic about action movies.

• edited November 2015 Posts: 2,015

You couldn't be more wrong.
    And I dare even say that one of the reason Bond is very popular in France because it's not US but UK. The "natural dislike" for anything US, yes, one could argue that here I think (and more because of the quantity than the quality !), but UK ? No way. I think the English/ French antagonism in rugby only exist in rugby. And well these days, both team cannot be proud of much !

Eh, French even co-produced the New Avengers because France wanted John Steed back and UK felt the time was over :)
    While 70 million is by no means a bad number, it should have been higher. I know Sony/EON since Quantum of Solace, have used the early UK release as a way to generate hype for further releases. With QOS, it worked despite "meh" reviews because the film opened up uncontested in the US. Skyfall of course had the praise of everyone. That, combined with the 50th anniversary and the Olympics, led to a great US release.

I believe it backfired (pun intended) with SPECTRE. While yes, it has decent reviews, the fact that basically all of them said how it was not as good as Skyfall, hurt the film. Many of my peers who had interest in seeing the film, got disinterested after hearing about the film (and all of its twists, because when you release a film two weeks early from a major market, its secrets WILL get out). With a new studio on the horizon, I hope they go back to a global release for future Bond films. This is not me, as an American, whining about people getting the film early. This is me, as a Bond fan and a movie fan in general, wanting the film to do the best it can possibly do (especially since I loved it).
  • For those writing cliches about France, and thinking that France top critics gives only a Rotten Tomatoes like reception to SPECTRE because they're French, compare with the notes for Skyfall :

462868Capture.jpg

Sorry, but I think that if SPECTRE has no 5 stars review here, it's mostly because of SPECTRE...
    Agreed. There's way too many excuses being made for the films reception.

By and large the reception is worse because the film is worse.
    Eh, French even co-produced the New Avengers because France wanted John Steed back and UK felt the time was over :)

Indeed they did!

Of course, but a 3.2 out 5 is not bad at all. As far as I know, getting high marks in France is very difficult, I collaborate with the University of Pau as a professor. French people are demanding and it is a good thing ;)

You couldn't be more wrong.
    And I dare even say that one of the reason Bond is very popular in France because it's not US but UK. The "natural dislike" for anything US, yes, one could argue that here I think, but UK ? No way. I think the English/ French antagonism in rugby only exist in rugby. And well these days, both team cannot be proud of much !

Cowley wrote: »

Indeed they did!

I believe the Linda Thorson era of the original 'The Avengers' was very popular in France!

edited November 2015 Posts: 9,020
    @Suivez_ce_parchute
    Maybe the dislike for the French/British among themselves has diminished today and been replaced with a dislike for the US but you can't deny that it was true in the not too distant past.
    @mepal1

Maybe the dislike for the French/British among themselves has diminished today and been replaced with a dislike for the US but you can't deny that it was true in the not too distant past.

Yes.......its a historical thing between the British and the French, and as you have said, its not such an issue these days! :)
    edited November 2015 Posts: 4,116
    X( ...blah blah blah..
    edited November 2015 Posts: 9,020
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    X( ...blah blah blah

Please sit down on the couch, make yourself comfortable and we start with a few simple questions:

-Were you close to your parents as a child?
    -I see, you left the last question unanswered, what is your profession?

-You pay a lot of money to get physical and psychological help here, so let me help you...

;)
    X( ...blah blah blah

Please sit down on the couch, make yourself comfortable and we start with a few simple questions:

-You pay a lot of money to get physical and psychological help here, so let me help you...

;)

..it's not the sort if thing that looks well in a forum :P
    X( ...blah blah blah

;)

=)) priceless, touché!
    X( ...blah blah blah

;)

=)) priceless, touché!

:D ...tanks
    X( ...blah blah blah

;)

+1
  • @Suivez_ce_parchute

As far as UK culture in France is concerned, I can't see where/when. Roger Moore was incredibly popular here, for 007 as well as Brett Sinclair. He got an honorary award from a French TV ceremony. And believe it or not, Benny Hill was a weekly Sunday hit on French TV :)

We have a lot UK shows over here thanks to BBC America but there's some US in the UK as well. The language barrier prevents more exchange with France.

Although where I live close to Louisiana there are areas that speak nothing but French albeit Cajun French.