SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

16364666869153

Comments

  • dinovelvet wrote: »
    HASEROT wrote: »
    boxofficemojo lists Spectre's production budget at $245 million... this seems like a far cry from the rumored $300 million that was being reported during the production phase..... is this $245 million accurate?

    I assume its taking rebates and incentives into consideration. Maybe they did literally spend 300 but they got kickbacks. We know they got a few million from Mexico.

    I've seen other reports where it's $250 million. They were on pace toward $350 million (MGM executive email that came out in the Sony hacks). That would indicate a combination of $100 million in product placement deals, Mexican subsidies, etc.
  • Posts: 1,055
    Oh dear.....it seems that the actual BO gross of SP in North America was around $70.2 mil, according to latest reports. That's a bit sad!
  • Yes. There's something odd here when every other country beats or is in close contention with Skyfall's numbers, but the US does not. We'll have to see how it looks in a few weeks to get the full picture.

    China should be interesting next weekend, that's the real wild card here, and I think will be the most important country in determining whether Spectre is a global hit.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 33,983
    I can see them eating up SP in China. It's definitely much more action-oriented than SF was, so they'll go for it as they would any of those summer blockbusters that are mysteriously huge hits over there.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Posts: 11,090
    What are the estimations and hopes for SP to make in China?
  • Posts: 1,032
    Cue bond 25 largely being set in China.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited November 2015 Posts: 33,983
    SF made almost $60 million in China, and solely going off of how OTT and action-packed SP is, I can see it making more there.

    Hell, China totaled a good 25% of the box office for 'Terminator: Genisys,' and the new 'Transformers' movie netted over $300 million there. Of course, SP isn't as robot-and-explosion laden as the two aforementioned examples, but it does have more to offer in the action department than SF did, which is why I can see it doing much better there.
  • Matt007 wrote: »
    Cue bond 25 largely being set in China.

    I would not be surprised at all if Bond 25 features China prominently. (Hmm, Fleming's YOLT transferred to China perhaps?)
  • SPECTRE's final US weekend debut coming in closer to $70M than $73M.

    Link to a Deadline story:

    http://deadline.com/2015/11/spectre-the-peanuts-movie-james-bond-box-office-1201610575/
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited November 2015 Posts: 33,983
    It's also Veteran's Day on Wednesday, which might inject some more life into the showtimes.

    I like how I'm seeing lots of articles paint SP's B.O. return as a major disappointment, when it's still the second highest opening weekend gross for a Bond movie. Sure, it's a couple of million dollars less than they had hoped, but who really cares? It's on its way to make $900 million - $1 billion, and that's alright by me.

    Again, SF had some promotion boosts with it being the 50th Anniversary, coupled with the Olympics opening. We can't really be surprised if all the upcoming Bond entries make less than $1.2 billion.
  • Posts: 1,055
    Yes, everywhere, but North America, SP has been doing very big business....unfortunately the exchange rates arn't doing Bond any favors either..........apparently in Russia and Brazil, the business for SP was over 40% up over SF in the local currency, yet when the takings are converted into US dollars, the BO totals, came out a few million short of SF!......strange isn't it?
    Yes...i expect SP, being a more action packed film than SF, will do very well indeed in China.
  • Posts: 1,055
    News for the BO performance of SP in the UK.

    The actual total figure as of end of Sunday was equivalent to $96.5 mil, with the film taking $19.9 mil for its 2nd weekend.
    Film is still just tracking ahead of SF.........but it will need a good 3rd weekend as well, as SF made $15.7 mil in its 3rd weekend.

    Today though, SP will pass Jurassic World to become the biggest BO hit of 2015 in the UK.........though i believe in a few weeks time, a little known film called SW will be released, which will try to break that record, but because its nearly the end of the year, it doesn't look like there will be enough days for SW to pass SP!
  • MansfieldMansfield Where the hell have you been?
    Posts: 1,262
    @Creasy47 Spectre's box office performance is a bit of a disappointment. When taking inflation into account, I believe the first weekend of Quantum of Solace did better since it is only $3 million less unadjusted. Poor reviews have definitely hindered its success. The local news media for the NY metropolitan area gave it atrocious marks, so much so where I question whether we saw the same film. They even went so far as to say Lea Seydoux was miscast.
  • Posts: 1,055
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    It's also Veteran's Day on Wednesday, which might inject some more life into the showtimes.

    I like how I'm seeing lots of articles paint SP's B.O. return as a major disappointment, when it's still the second highest opening weekend gross for a Bond movie. Sure, it's a couple of million dollars less than they had hoped, but who really cares? It's on its way to make $900 million - $1 billion, and that's alright by me.

    Again, SF had some promotion boosts with it being the 50th Anniversary, coupled with the Olympics opening. We can't really be surprised if all the upcoming Bond entries make less than $1.2 billion.

    Exactly.......the US performance is dissappointing........but still Bond will end up with a massive Worldwide gross..............and if it does $900 mil, that is still very impressive, and would give the franchise 2 films that combined have made $2 billion!

    The good thing about that, is it ensures we will have new Bond films to look forward to in the future..... just hoping, that we have some decent plots, and engaging stories!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited November 2015 Posts: 11,090
    ;)
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 1,055
    doubleoego wrote: »
    [YT]

    Eh!...............what are we supposed to be looking at here? :)

    oops.......You Tube opened properly now........and i understand! ;)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 33,983
    doubleoego wrote: »
    ;)

    Thanks for injecting a slight bit of nostalgia into my day! ;)
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 2,463
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    SF made almost $60 million in China, and solely going off of how OTT and action-packed SP is, I can see it making more there.

    Hell, China totaled a good 25% of the box office for 'Terminator: Genisys,' and the new 'Transformers' movie netted over $300 million there. Of course, SP isn't as robot-and-explosion laden as the two aforementioned examples, but it does have more to offer in the action department than SF did, which is why I can see it doing much better there.
    But SF was partially set in Asia so that helped.

    Idk, I hope SP will do good business but my prediction of it making less than SF will probably come true.

    edit: Also I forgot to mention that I hope SONY won't be insane with this movie as they were with Spider-man2...that movie made 750 or so million and they were disappointed..
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 709
    dragonsky wrote: »
    But SF was partially set in Asia so that helped.

    Idk, I hope SP will do good business but my prediction of it making less than SF will probably come true.

    It was set in Shanghai yeah, but it was released a while after SF had debuted in the rest of the world, so pirate copies had already spread, and there was the knowledge that it had been edited for Chinese release, so presumably a lot of people just watched the pirated version. This time they're wisely getting it out there a lot quicker.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 33,983
    Didn't SF go through some scene alterations for it's release in China so as not to offend the Chinese? This could've also hurt it's box office, as well, for those who didn't want to be bothered possibly seeing China portrayed in a negative way.

    Of course, I'm spitballing and could be totally incorrect on all of that.
  • Posts: 1,055
    dragonsky wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    SF made almost $60 million in China, and solely going off of how OTT and action-packed SP is, I can see it making more there.

    Hell, China totaled a good 25% of the box office for 'Terminator: Genisys,' and the new 'Transformers' movie netted over $300 million there. Of course, SP isn't as robot-and-explosion laden as the two aforementioned examples, but it does have more to offer in the action department than SF did, which is why I can see it doing much better there.
    But SF was partially set in Asia so that helped.

    Idk, I hope SP will do good business but my prediction of it making less than SF will probably come true.

    Yep..........set Bond 25 in China, with a good story, and loads of action, then film will make at least $300 mil there, just like 'Furious 7' did!

    :)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Reviews must have hurt a little. Peanuts probably hurt a little. Sam Smith didn't do anything over here (Adele did). The trailers, quite frankly, did not grab like the SF ones did (Deakins masterful China work was a major hook in those SF trailers). DC's slasher remarks were all over the press here and likely had some effect (even if didn't impact us fans). There was no 'wow' stunt in the trailers (the 'falling Patrice' in the SF trailer was quite compelling).

    So there are a number of factors at play.

    Moreover, as we noted before SP came out, most spy franchises have somewhat underperformed at the US box office relative to expectations this year, including MI-RN, so spy fatigue could be setting in.

    With respect to China, it could do about $100m to $110m over there but I'd be surprised if it does more, or a little less actually. MI-RN was only released in September there, with Chinese co-production (Alibaba and the govt run Chinese Movie Channel), and it did $137m. I don't see SP beating that. The plots being close may be a problem, given the close releases. Also, there is a bunched up release schedule of foreign films in China.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Posts: 4,116
    Yes I believe reviews have hurt SP in North America ...let's see how word of mouth does.

    In defense other UK imports including Harry Potter and on television Dr. Who have been very successful here so SP deserves some it's own credit for not living up.

    I liked SP so don't attack me.

    UK and US have had the same complaints but yes the US ones have not been as forgiving.

    I'll fight back if people start accessing the US of being nothing but idiots.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 33,983
    I agree with most of that, @bondjames, but I'd say the 'wow' stunt for SP's promotional work was definitely the helicopter barrel roll. It's just a shame that:
    In the final film, the full shot of it performing the barrel roll cuts to some interior action before cutting back. I wanted to see it in its entirety in the film because of how impressive it was.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I agree with most of that, @bondjames, but I'd say the 'wow' stunt for SP's promotional work was definitely the helicopter barrel roll. It's just a shame that:
    In the final film, the full shot of it performing the barrel roll cuts to some interior action before cutting back. I wanted to see it in its entirety in the film because of how impressive it was.

    I agree @Creasy47. I've only seen it once (2nd showing is tomorrow - can't wait!) but I noticed that & I couldn't believe it. Show the whole thing for pete's sake!
  • Posts: 1,055
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Didn't SF go through some scene alterations for it's release in China so as not to offend the Chinese? This could've also hurt it's box office, as well, for those who didn't want to be bothered possibly seeing China portrayed in a negative way.

    Of course, I'm spitballing and could be totally incorrect on all of that.

    Yes......you are right, there were some alterations made to the scenes set in China.....before films release in that country.............can't remember off hand what they were, but i think it was scenes of the Chinese guards being killed in the skyscraper!

  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 33,983
    It's the equivalent of taking the barrel roll from TMWTGG and inserting something as insane as, say, a slide whis--ohhhh, wait...
  • Posts: 2,463
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Didn't SF go through some scene alterations for it's release in China so as not to offend the Chinese? This could've also hurt it's box office, as well, for those who didn't want to be bothered possibly seeing China portrayed in a negative way.

    Of course, I'm spitballing and could be totally incorrect on all of that.

    Wait..they edited the part were chines guards are killed ? Wow the Chinese censorship laws are ridiculous..

    mepal1 wrote: »
    dragonsky wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    SF made almost $60 million in China, and solely going off of how OTT and action-packed SP is, I can see it making more there.

    Hell, China totaled a good 25% of the box office for 'Terminator: Genisys,' and the new 'Transformers' movie netted over $300 million there. Of course, SP isn't as robot-and-explosion laden as the two aforementioned examples, but it does have more to offer in the action department than SF did, which is why I can see it doing much better there.
    But SF was partially set in Asia so that helped.

    Idk, I hope SP will do good business but my prediction of it making less than SF will probably come true.

    Yep..........set Bond 25 in China, with a good story, and loads of action, then film will make at least $300 mil there, just like 'Furious 7' did!

    :)

    But F7 wasn't set in Asia and it made a lot of money....so..you can be successful in Asia without setting the movie in China........with that said....Bond in China wouldn't be a bad idea, I would love to see more neon light scenes like the ones in SF...have Bond chase someone during the night....or show the different sides of China (modern and traditional)..that can be a good movie..
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Posts: 23,883
    Or use a surrogate, like Singapore. It could work just as well.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Posts: 757
    This idiotic talk of it flopping and of how the sky is falling is pure lunacy. Was you only live twice a flop because it didn't make as much as Thunderball?
Sign In or Register to comment.