SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

• echoecho 007 in New York
    edited November 2015 Posts: 5,979
    I think people are giving too much weight to the US critics...most moviegoers don't care. Look at the majority of blockbuster movies that are successful; most are crap.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    gklein wrote: »
    Gotta, to some degree, blame the ludicrous Rotten Tomatoes website -- which ranks DAF higher than SP! (I've not yet seen SP but find it impossible that DAF could be the better movie.)

29 people that gave their ranking of the Bond movies recently have Spectre in their Top 10.
    Of those 29, 24 have either GE or TSWLM or both in their Top 10 as well.

So if you @gklein have GE and/or TSWLM in your Top 10 there is a good chance you'll love Spectre.

So if you @gklein have GE and/or TSWLM in your Top 10 there is a good chance you'll love Spectre.

While for Brosnan I rate TWINE higher than GE and, for Moore, I rate FYEO higher than TSWLM (though FYEO would have been better served by Dalton), both GE & TSWLM are indeed in my top 10.

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb

While for Brosnan I rate TWINE higher than GE and, for Moore, I rate FYEO higher than TSWLM (though FYEO would have been better served by Dalton), both GE & TSWLM are indeed in my top 10.

Wow, finally someone who thinks like me on that matter! FYEO would have been the perfect Dalton setting.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 154
    yes!
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 154
    BondJasonBond006 You might like my post on the FYEO appreciation thread (currently, the last post there).
    Peanuts movie did only 150k less then SPECTRE on wednesday, so i quess that is what prevented it from doing 10m +
    Anyone got the numbers from france?
    Anyone got the numbers from france?

Not yet.............but i have read elsewhere that the film had a huge attendance for its opening in France. So, it looks promising.

Did read from someone from Hong Kong saying that SP somewhat plummeted in its 2nd week there............but that is a small market anyway.

Peanuts movie did only 150k less then SPECTRE on wednesday, so i quess that is what prevented it from doing 10m +

Wednesday was also Veterans Day and a lot of people had off of work. Lots of families went to see Peanuts. I should know, I went to see Spectre again yesterday and me and my buddy were in a line of 40+ people and we were the only non-family people there. lol
  • Hi All.
    Spectre in Poland had just over 500,000 attendance for first weekend and more then 560,000 in Total including previews. It is more then total run of CR that brought back Bond popularity in Poland. Skyfall opened with 390.000 and ended with more then 1.8 million in total of the attendance. Spectre had second best opening in Poland this Year after Grey that started on Valentines Day with astonishing almost 900,000 attendence.
    Gotta, to some degree, blame the ludicrous Rotten Tomatoes website -- which ranks DAF higher than SP! (I've not yet seen SP but find it impossible that DAF could be the better movie.)

QoS had a higher ranking than SP the other day when I checked! Crazy people out there down voting!
  • TKpurple wrote: »
    Hi All.
    Spectre in Poland had just over 500,000 attendance for first weekend and more then 560,000 in Total including previews. It is more then total run of CR that brought back Bond popularity in Poland. Skyfall opened with 390.000 and ended with more then 1.8 million in total of the attendance. Spectre had second best opening in Poland this Year after Grey that started on Valentines Day with astonishing almost 900,000 attendence.

Sounds good! Fleming's Blofeld was from Poland, maybe that helped :)
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 1,098
    UK Thursday take £1.2 mil ($1.83mil).........total £69.7 mil ($105.9 mil)

Onwards and upwards for Bond in the UK........still chasing SF's record
  • Regarding reviews....in the beginning, for Bond movies now seen as classic, reviews are what we'd call mixed. I don't think reviews affect box office that much anymore. Relax. The movie is going to be a financial success. If it's a bit less than Skyfall, it's not that big a deal.
  • Here's the review of The New York Times for Dr. No. Overall it's positive. But it has some passages that some fans today would consider horrible.

http://www.nytimes.com/movie/review?res=9807E7D9123CE63ABC4850DFB3668388679EDE

This lively, amusing picture, which opened yesterday at the Astor, the Murray Hill and other theaters in the "premiere showcase" group, is not to be taken seriously as realistic fiction or even art, any more than the works of Mr. Fleming are to be taken as long-hair literature. It is strictly a tinseled action-thriller, spiked with a mystery of a sort. **And, if you are clever, you will see it as a spoof of science-fiction and sex.**

For the crime-detecting adventure that Mr. Bond is engaged in here is so wildly exaggerated, so patently contrived, **that it is obviously silly and not to be believed.** It is a perilous task of discovering who is operating a device on the tropical island of Jamaica that "massively interferes" with the critical rocket launchings from Cape Canaveral.

Nonsense, you say. Of course, it's nonsense — **pure, escapist bunk, with Bond, an elegant fellow, played by Sean Connery, doing everything (and everybody) that an idle day-dreamer might like to do.** Called from a gaming club in London to pick up his orders and his gun and hop on a plane for Jamaica before a tawny temptress leads him astray, old "Double Oh Seven" (that's his code name) is in there being natty from the start. And he keeps on being natty, naughty and nifty to the end.

Today, in the 21st century, there are fans that would have a stroke if the same things were written about SPECTRE and Daniel Craig.

As mentioned, it's holding strong in the US thus far through the week. 90 million already, that's 20 mil during the week, people. The weekend grosses are not the end all, be all with this film. It will pass 200 total easy I think. Should be at least 130 by Monday and that's like only 10 days in release! Maybe it hits 220.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Here's the review of The New York Times for Dr. No. Overall it's positive. But it has some passages that some fans today would consider horrible.

http://www.nytimes.com/movie/review?res=9807E7D9123CE63ABC4850DFB3668388679EDE

This lively, amusing picture, which opened yesterday at the Astor, the Murray Hill and other theaters in the "premiere showcase" group, is not to be taken seriously as realistic fiction or even art, any more than the works of Mr. Fleming are to be taken as long-hair literature. It is strictly a tinseled action-thriller, spiked with a mystery of a sort. **And, if you are clever, you will see it as a spoof of science-fiction and sex.**

For the crime-detecting adventure that Mr. Bond is engaged in here is so wildly exaggerated, so patently contrived, **that it is obviously silly and not to be believed.** It is a perilous task of discovering who is operating a device on the tropical island of Jamaica that "massively interferes" with the critical rocket launchings from Cape Canaveral.

Nonsense, you say. Of course, it's nonsense — **pure, escapist bunk, with Bond, an elegant fellow, played by Sean Connery, doing everything (and everybody) that an idle day-dreamer might like to do.** Called from a gaming club in London to pick up his orders and his gun and hop on a plane for Jamaica before a tawny temptress leads him astray, old "Double Oh Seven" (that's his code name) is in there being natty from the start. And he keeps on being natty, naughty and nifty to the end.

Today, in the 21st century, there are fans that would have a stroke if the same things were written about SPECTRE and Daniel Craig.

I think everyone knows that Bond was not well received by critics in the early 60s. They couldn't distinguish his actions from that of the villain, so the black and white nature of movie thrillers was blurred. Of course it was perfect for the audiences - sex and violence was big business!
    Now everything is different and Bond doesn't have the market to himself. And as has been pointed out so often here each new Bond film will be compared favourably or otherwise to a long history of previous Bond films as well as other action/adventure franchises. It's near on impossible to hit the target square on. CR did it but it had the benefit of a new lead, a Fleming story and a director who was not new to the franchise.
    Latest news from China:-

SP opened with a very solid $15 mil, on opening day. Difficult at this stage to gauge how the film will do.........its pretty much on par with what MI.RN started off with........though the reviews to SP havn't been particularly glowing!

Elsewhere, the latest Int' total box office for SP (excl China) is $264.1 mil.

By the end of this weekend SP should have a worldwide total of $500+ mil.
  • That is very good. And at least a huge improvement on "Skyfall". "Skyfall"'s opening weekend (Friday-Saturday-Sunday) in China was $34,230,000 and only $9 Million on Friday. Remember, the roll-out in China always goes a bit slower. Today, Friday, Chinese people could see the "SPECTRE" on 43% of all of China's theaters. Same as with "Skyfall"s Friday.

It's an excellent start actually, especially when you consider the Chinese reviews. And it could beat the opening weekend of Marvel's "Ant-Man" now (which was $42 Million).
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 389
    It is more or less what I was expecting. I think Chineese Box Office will be near 100 million.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 1,098
    North America BO update:-

Thursday's gross:- $4,343,170...........running total now $95,300,181

As Thursday was a normal workday, all grosses for films were down, but SP's was still a pretty reasonable gross.
    Now we come into the all important 2nd weekend, and with no new real competition, SP has a good chance to make some decent money......if it doesn't, then that is not a good sign, for the film to achieve a healthy gross in the long run!

The Mon-Thurs gross for SP was:- $24,897,033 the equivalent for SF was:- $29,272,394

for ref, QOS did a little over $14 mil for the same period (don't think that there was a midweek hol then).........but SP is definitely tracking closer to SF than QOS.

I think the guy at BO MOJO was being too pessimistic, when stating that SP would gross, only a little more than QOS......I think SP will pass the $200 mil mark!
  • Deadline says 33-35 this weekend as an early estimate, but then again they were way off last week when they claimed it was going to open to 80! Anyway, international will be where the real action is this weekend.
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    Deadline says 33-35 this weekend as an early estimate, but then again they were way off last week when they claimed it was going to open to 80! Anyway, international will be where the real action is this weekend.

For reference, SF did some $40 mil in its 2nd weekend, and that was against the full force of the latest Twilight film.
    SP should be able to do about $35 mil, as BO analysts predict.....its got a clear weekend.
    Any less than that, will be seen as a major disappointment!

• SP is not going to make much more than 30 million this weekend, the same as Peanuts.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    mepal1 wrote: »
    I think the guy at BO MOJO was being too pessimistic, when stating that SP would gross, only a little more than QOS......I think SP will pass the $200 mil mark!

Just under $200m is about right. He is correct if you are talking in inflation adjusted terms. $168m (QoS final US gross) now is about $200m give or take, after accounting for ticket price inflation and IMAX adjustments.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    What is up with those Peanuts?

As a kid, I found it utterly boring and still feel the same way.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

I think it's bound to scare kids. Look at Charlie Brown!
    hqdefault.jpg
    Nightmare fuel if you ask me.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    He looks like a politician.
    Murdock wrote: »

I think it's bound to scare kids. Look at Charlie Brown!
    hqdefault.jpg
    Nightmare fuel if you ask me.

That is one ugly kid!