Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Ok thanks. Looks like I'm going to have to rewatch MoS just to refresh and refamiliarise myself with what to somewhat expect.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Have you seen Watchmen? BvS is closer to Watchman than any other of Snyders movies in terms of Tone and overall Themes of superheroes, their Status in our society and the dangers
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Watchmen is a masterpiece, but it's source material guaranteed it as such.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    WATCHMEN is the best ever comic book movie and I urge everyone that hasn't bought/seen the expanded director's version to do so.
    It's a staggering 3 hours and 36 minutes long.
    I liked watchmen but I didn't love it. Was going to go to Thursday's midnight showing now I'm not so sure. I might leave it for Friday.

I've just seen that the BvS twitter are getting fans to tweet posutive ractions and have just retweeted a fan reaction from 3 days ago. They're retweeting numerois fan reactions and blasting away any credibility and promotiomal value this way.

This whole debacle is worthy of its own movie.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited March 2016 Posts: 1,257
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Watchmen is a masterpiece, but it's source material guaranteed it as such.

I wouldn't necessarily chalk it all up to the source material alone. Jeffrey Dean Morgan as the Comedian and Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach were fantastic. Not to mention Snyder's style and dark visuals really brought the graphic novel to life.

Speaking of Snyder's style, I think he would be much better suited to direct a solo Batman film than the Justice League film. Especially after what I saw in BvS.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 9,020
    @doubleoego
    @Seven_Point_Six_Five
    and everyone else

First, you have to understand, I am a fan of Batman since I can remember, the first thing I read was Batman comics, it actually motivated me to learn to read and I was the first in Kindergarten that actually could read.
    1989 (age 15) all my dreams came true in form of Batman The Movie. Since then it has been up and down, mostly up really. I even enjoyed Batman & Robin back then, it seemed right at that time to me.
    Batman Begins again made all my dreams come true and it is my favourite movie of all time together with Star Trek First Contact and GoldenEye.

10 years after Batman Begins all my dreams were supposed to become true again in form of Batman V Superman.
    You see, I'm also the biggest Justice League fan. Wonder Woman, The Martian and The Flash, especially The Flash are my favourite heroes besides Batsy.

Now I'm sitting here relaxed, sleepless, slightly drunk having lived through an emotional roller-coaster-ride that lasted for four hours.

We have movie breaks in Switzerland, after one hour there is a pause for people to go to the lobby have drinks and snacks or smoke or whatever.

When the pause sign went up on the screen I went to the lobby, to the bar and ordered a strong drink (vodka martini, yes.)

After the movie I felt like I was hit by a train.

I saw the best comic book movie ever.
    I saw one of the worst comic book movies ever.

And it was the same movie. Batman V Superman.

All my dreams have come true tonight and all my nightmares as well.

Damn you Zac Snyder.
    SS2eS.gif

I saw the best comic book movie ever.
    I saw one of the worst comic book movies ever.

I get the first part :)
    @doubleoego

You always have the best gifs ready for any situation. Bloody fantastic.
    The Matrix one and the one above smashing the computer just made my day :)
    So, last night I posted the state of my emotions after seeing BvS.

When is it allowed to talk about it in detail? For now, it should be spoiler-free, right?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Please keep your posts spoiler-free, @BondJasonBond006, at least until the weekend is up, so that those most dedicated to seeing it will have had the chance.
    Reality sets in now.
    I think I had a Knightmare last night.
    I'm afraid I have to admit it to myself, I don't like BvS.
    The B in BvS was great, but that's just not enough.
    Why oh why, cruel world, why...
    @JasonBond you're going to make me do it aren't you?

gallery_1_209_1200631.gif
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Is this film really such a POS? I'm really looking forward to it now, to see if this is in fact the case.

I don't think anything will surpass the Nolan trilogy for me, and I have very low expectations to begin with, so I'm curious to see if it could surprise on the upside.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @bondjames the film is not a catastrophe like the critics are saying. It's just that Affleck Batman's is magnificient while everything and everyone else around him is nowhere to his level. It's a bit if you take Craig's CR performance and put it in what you'd call an average Bond film. All the efforts in BvS was to make Batfleck a tremendous character and forgetting about the rest.

If you remove Affleck from the film and I'd be a lot, lot harsher on the film. As of right now the BvS makes me really pumped up for the solo Batman with Affleck.
    Is the stuff about
    Jimmy Olsen being a CIA operative undercover as a photographer and being killed
    true?
    BvS is a mistake.
    They SHOULD HAVE MADE a Batman solo movie first with Batfleck and Snyder.
    That would have been BLOODY AWESOME
    @doubleoego

You're just the coolest dude, really. That gif is ten times better than the whole BvS :))

Again, it made me =)) big time
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Thx @DaltonCraig007.

I'm not surprised, because Cavill didn't really light the world on fire in MoS (I don't think he's ever really given us something fantastic) & Gadot as WW was always going to be a tough sell (imho).

Batman always does the job. Bulletproof character, and Affleck has really improved as an actor over the years.
    Yep, I can't say anything spoiling but for the way they depict Batman in BvS Ben Affleck is absolutely perfect, I couldn't imagine anyone else for that part.
    This is the ONE casting decision that will pay off big time for DC once the Batman solo movie hits the screens.
    doubleoego wrote: »

i don't think damage control is required right now. the Transformers Movies are ripped apart by critics and still break records at the box office (and no, i am not comparing the franchises, i am just making a point)
    I think Cavill just shares his honest opinion, and he is right as far as i am concerned.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I think any film with Batman in it will live critically in the shadow of Nolan for a few entries, so perhaps the expectations were very high with this one. If it was just a Supes film perhaps the critics wouldn't have been so savage, on account of lowered expectations.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I think any film with Batman in it will live critically in the shadow of Nolan for a few entries, so perhaps the expectations were very high with this one. If it was just a Supes film perhaps the critics wouldn't have been so savage, on account of lowered expectations.

If Snyder would have made a solo Batman movie with Batfleck, this would be in the 90% region in the ratings. The Batman segments are spectacularly great.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @00Agent, it wasn't just Cavill addressing the poor reviews, it was Snyder and a majority of the main cast doing so, and the movie hasn't even had its opening weekend yet.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2016 Posts: 15,692
    What is very jarring is having Affleck's Batman in the same film as Eisenberg's Luthor. It's like if you have Connery's DN performance and Charles Grey's DAF performance in the same film. The gap in acting performance is astronomical.
    What is very jarring is having Affleck's Batman in the same film as Eisenberg's Luthor. It's like if you have Connery's DN performance and Charles Grey's DAF performance in the same film. The gap in acting performance is astronomical.

I would say this differently.

Eisenberg's Luthor is as annoying, silly and downright stupid as Silva in Skyfall.
    A clown, a bad one.
    It's like having Silva being the villain in CR instead of LeChiffre.
    00Agent wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »

i don't think damage control is required right now. the Transformers Movies are ripped apart by critics and still break records at the box office (and no, i am not comparing the franchises, i am just making a point)
    I think Cavill just shares his honest opinion, and he is right as far as i am concerned.

I get your point but I think the difference between TF and this film is, TF have no real competing series to contend with and Bay unlike Snyder actually delivers and gets results. When your movie is grossing a billion dollars each time, it is what it is. Snyder's delivered a string of flops and has been entrusted not only with this film but the justice league film too. Batman v Superman doesnt need to be getting unanimous glowing reviews but at the very least should be getting better responses than what its getting at the mpment. This needs now to make like TF and be a financial hit. Anything less than a BO of a billion dollars and I can see people getting sacked and a huge reshuffling or cancelation of DC's upcomming projects (wonder woman and SS not withstanding).

This is the second time really that they've tried to create a DC universe, the first being Green Latern in which they even had Amanda Waller in it who is now been recast and appearing in Suicide Squad. It's a shame because this is DC's first movie to feature their 3 main flagship characters and critically it's bombing.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 15,692
    @BondJamesBond006 I understand your point but I was chosing a character widely criticized on these boards. Heck, imagine Connery acting the exact same he did in DN, but with Christmas Jones instead of Honey Ryder. To comprehend the level of Eisenberg's farcical acting I think you need to take an example in Bond that most would agree with. ;)