Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Risico007 wrote: »
    It can't be worse then batman & robin right?
    That was funny too.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb

You might be in for a surprise...

Seriously, Batman & Robin is the Batman franchises DAF, camp, downright silly, and clearly the least good of the lot, but sill a lot of fun to watch. Like DAF, B&R has become a guilty pleasure of mine.
    At least B&R didn't try to pretend, what it tries to achieve, it achieves greatly.

The main problem of BvS (after one viewing) is that it tries way too much to be a lot of things, not doing one thing right, except for the Batman stuff.

I will go and see it a second, and possibly third time.
    Why?

Because it features Batman, a third version of Batman after Keaton's and Bale's.
    Hell, I would go and watch a Batman film three times, if it would show Bruce Wayne reading a book for two hours.

Seriously, Batman & Robin is the Batman franchises DAF, camp, downright silly, and clearly the least good of the lot, but sill a lot of fun to watch. Like DAF, B&R has become a guilty pleasure of mine.
    At least B&R didn't try to pretend, what it tries to achieve, it achieves greatly.

The main problem of BvS (after one viewing) is that it tries way too much to be a lot of things, not doing one thing right, except for the Batman stuff.

Why?

Because it features Batman, a third version of Batman after Keaton's and Bale's.
    Hell, I would go and watch a Batman film three times, if it would show Bruce Wayne reading a book for two hours.

well I am seeing the film tonight at 7:40 with my wife it's her first comic book movie and after everything that has been said I am nervous but I remind myself Critics praised the Dark Knight which after multiple viewings I like the film but don't love it (batman begins is my personal favorite batman film) the critics also praised The Dark knight rises which I felt was one of the worse batman films ( I plan on doing a re watching of wb Batman franchise post Bond so next year Starting with I think Batman I still haven't decided how I want to do this do I ignore the animated features do I not... un like Bond there are so many ways you could go about viewing Batman films...)

I am trying now to ignore what critics say simply so I can make up my own mind about the film because if memory serves me correctly Critics hated Quantum of Solace and The A-team and I believe were mixed on Batman begins for me I love all three of those films.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Why?

well I am seeing the film tonight at 7:40 with my wife it's her first comic book movie and after everything that has been said I am nervous but I remind myself Critics praised the Dark Knight which after multiple viewings I like the film but don't love it (batman begins is my personal favorite batman film) the critics also praised The Dark knight rises which I felt was one of the worse batman films ( I plan on doing a re watching of wb Batman franchise post Bond so next year Starting with I think Batman I still haven't decided how I want to do this do I ignore the animated features do I not... un like Bond there are so many ways you could go about viewing Batman films...)

I am trying now to ignore what critics say simply so I can make up my own mind about the film because if memory serves me correctly Critics hated Quantum of Solace and The A-team and I believe were mixed on Batman begins for me I love all three of those films.

Agree. Begins is the best of the bunch for me, too. And Rises gets worse with each viewing.

Why?

Agree. Begins is the best of the bunch for me, too. And Rises gets worse with each viewing.

Why did Talia Sleep with Bruce if she was just going to kill him?

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

Why?

Why did Talia Sleep with Bruce if she was just going to kill him?

She's a femme fatale.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 1,661
    Regarding: Batman V Superman - Sad Affleck....

Let's face it, the Batman franchise never recovered from Pierce Brosnan's refusal to play the part.

And now we're all living with the heavy cost.

:D :-j
    edited March 2016 Posts: 9,020
    Why Batman V Superman will make 1.5 billion easily

The bad reception of BvS is on an almost grotesque level. The top critics meter on RT is 27% right now. The audience ratings level is dropping at a tempo I have never seen before and the movie hasn't even completed its first weekend.

But there is reason for hope for us DC and Batman fan(boys).

Batman & Robin in 1997 got catastrophic reviews. But nonetheless it was a BoxOffice success even if it did less than the others before. Outside the US B&R was received much better, the US audience on the other hand "hated" it.

Batman V Superman may have a similar fate. The US hates this movie, as can be seen right now. The Europeans are much more forgiving.
    Spectre saw records falling galore and Europe was the reason Spectre became the second most successful Bond movie and third most successful inflation adjusted.

BvS will undoubtably crash records in Europe.
    So the Europeans might in the end help DC having a successful start into their JL series BO wise, and this is the most important factor, sadly. Money is the deciding factor.

If BvS makes enough money, no matter how badly it gets bashed, there will be the other already planned movies, unchanged.

The studio might also be satisfied in the end, even if expectations for BO were much higher. But as it plays out right now, I'm sure the studio will already lower their expectations somewhat.

Why BvS is widely regarded as a artistic failure is a difficult question to answer.
    There are several possible reasons.

The casting: Ben Affleck was a risk, and I'm sure even if he is good as Batman, there are a lot of people not approving of him.
    Eisenberg as Lex Luthor is gigantic mistake. This role should have been cast with a heavyweight actor who is widely popular.
    The rest of the supporting cast is more or less forgettable in BvS, sadly. Opportunities missed.
    Only Jeremy Irons may be a clever decision. That will be seen in the upcoming solo Batman movies.

Zac Snyder:
    After Man Of Steele, the alarm bells should have gone off. I'm not sure why the people responsible still gave him the helm for what may be the most important movie in Warners/DC's history. A grave mistake.
    Zac Snyder will get buried in Hollywood if next year's JL will not perform as wished, critically and BO wise.

As a DC fan I'm still thankful we got a new string of movies so fast after the Nolan trilogy. But Justice League will be the deciding factor if this series will live on or if it will be shortcut.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2016 Posts: 15,694
    From what I"m reading, they are expecting a 160+ million opening weekend for BvS, so I think financially they are safe.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    glad to hear. I guess this is simply a movie you have to see, because everyone will be talking about it. It's a cultural event.
    And as far as i can tell, from my perspective word of mouth is much better since i can't read any comment section on this movie without finding people who praise it or at least defend it saying that critics are way to harsh.
    With this movie it really is: either you love it or you hate it. No middle ground
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I just saw it.

Perhaps it's on account of my lowered expectations going in, or because I knew this is a Snyder product (which it definitely & unabashedly is), but I quite enjoyed it. Not all that bad.

They tried to do too much and introduce too much perhaps. There are many scenes that last only a few seconds before the next completely different scene begins. Almost like watching a slide reel. It reminds me a lot of Spiderman 3 in that regard (also too many characters). In fact, Eisenberg seems to be channeling a curious combination of Jim Carrey's the Riddler & Topher Grace's Venom. He is definitely one of the weak links here.

WW is not bad. Better than I feared. Gadot will never erase or supplant the perfection of Carter in my mind, but I can live with her going forward. She is better as Diana Prince than as WW imho.

Affleck is very good as the Bat & Wayne. However, I still put him below Keaton & Bale. He looks the part more than the other two, but perhaps on account of the directing and script, I prefer his predecessors. Bale chatting up Hathaway as the Cat in TDKR for instance blows away Affleck's similar interactions with Gadot.

Irons is ok as Alfred, but again, I feel Caine was far superior .

Cavill is Cavill. No difference from MoS. Wooden as ever, but he's playing Supes after all, who has always been one of my least interesting comic book characters, so I can live with him too.

Ultimately the one thing I've decided after seeing this film is that I am 'all done' with overt CGI created (or is that infested) mayhem. Despite all the explosions and destruction, there is absolutely nothing in this film that came close to the non-CGI truck chase and flip in TDK. In fact, Nolan's films were almost Hitchcockian in terms of tension buildup compared to anything in BvS. This film is more of a typical superhero film. Reminded me a lot of the 2nd Hulk film for some reason.

Go see it. It's better than MoS & will make a lot of money, no doubt. It doesn't deserve 38% RT ratings. It's not fresh either though.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I agree @bondjames. It's quite an enjoyable film, nowhere as bad as that 38% RT score. I just think a lot of people (me included) had set the expectations way too high. But yes, definately better than MoS.
    doubleoego wrote: »

It almost made me cry, although I guess it was supposed to be funny. It was almost like he was zoning out thinking of Jennifer... :(
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I didn't like MoS at all @DaltonCraig007, so that maybe helped me, because I had much lower expectations. The trailers weren't all that encouraging either.

I think people who subconsciously put too much interest/emphasis on the Batman side prior to going in may be disappointed. If one goes in expecting a Superman film by Snyder with an appearance by Batman & WW, then it's not bad at all.
    @bondjames

Gadot is indeed great as Diana Prince!

The CGI is way too much, this is hurting the movie quite a bit, but the common under 18 kid will love it no doubt.

I agree on Affleck and Irons. Both are great in BvS but still behind Cain and Cough and Keaton and Bale.

I will see it a second time tonight at 23 hundred hours. I was way too nervous before seeing it the first time and way too emotional shaken after the first hour to fully absorb the rest of it. Tonight will be different, I hope it is a better viewing experience this time :)
    I'm sure it will be @BondJasonBond006. I may have to check it out again soon too, but only after I see 10 Cloverfield Lane first.

There is just so much going on during the earlier half that it's quite easy to miss everything. The film is definitely a 2.5 hr assault on the senses.

Enjoy.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'm sure it will be @BondJasonBond006. I may have to check it out again soon too, but only after I see 10 Cloverfield Lane first.

There is just so much going on during the earlier half that it's quite easy to miss everything. The film is definitely a 2.5 hr assault on the senses.

Enjoy.

And enjoy Cloverfield Lane! That one is a true shocker.
    Everything I've read here has made me even more convinced that I don't need to spend money on this, and can easily just watch it someday on tv or something. Originally I had planned on going to see it, but that thought kinda died little by little, long before the crushing reviews came out. First, I watched MOS last year. The same director? The same lead? Ugh. Reading BvS is better than MOS really isn't saying much, since I pretty much hated that, and was thoroughly bored by it. And none of the material (pics, trailer) I've seen has been interesting and positive to me. Another lead I've never liked in anything? More Superman than Batman? Excessive CGI mayhem? Etc. No thanks.
    00Agent wrote: »
    I guess this is simply a movie you have to see, because everyone will be talking about it. It's a cultural event.

Nope. That's actually sheep mentality encouraged by huge marketing campaigns. One doesn't have to see this or any other movie one doesn't care to spend one's money on. But naturally those doing the marketing are pleased if they manage to make many people feel like they have to see a movie in order not to feel outsiders somehow if they don't. That tactic probably works best for young people, still in school and feeling peer pressure. I don't know any older people who feel they have to see any movie just because others do.
    @Tuulia I'm right there with ya.
    Zack Snyder's The Watchmen was an amazing film, mostly due to the source, and partly because Snyder was the right guy for such relentlessly dark material. MOS was too dark for Superman, and BvS is just gonna be more of the same. *yawn*
    At my showing of BvS 2 days ago, with full audience, there were more laughs during the 'Nice Guys' trailer than in the entire 2.5 hour runtime of the actual film. A huge difference to SP a few months ago when the jam packed theatre was laughing every 2 minutes.
  • I saw it Thursday night. Not as bad as the reviews. HOWEVER, there was something I missed it. Zack Snyder peed on a key part of the Superman mythos. It goes by very quickly and you have to read well into the cast credits in the end titles to catch it.

New York magazine's Vulture website did catch it. Here's a shortened URL because the original URL gives it away. So only click on it if you want to know.

http://bit.ly/1pMInoS
    I saw it Thursday night. Not as bad as the reviews. HOWEVER, there was something I missed it. Zack Snyder peed on a key part of the Superman mythos. It goes by very quickly and you have to read well into the cast credits in the end titles to catch it.

New York magazine's Vulture website did catch it. Here's a shortened URL because the original URL gives it away. So only click on it if you want to know.

http://bit.ly/1pMInoS
    Yep, I suspected as much.

[-(
    In roughly one hour I get to see BvS a second time. And again I'm nervous, silly me.
    I so want to be able to love it. It's my beloved Basty for Christ's sake, pleeeease let me like it :))
    edited March 2016 Posts: 17,698
    In roughly one hour I get to see BvS a second time. And again I'm nervous, silly me.
    I so want to be able to love it. It's my beloved Basty for Christ's sake, pleeeease let me like it :))

There was a time, young @BondJasonBond006, when Batman '89 was getting reamed by some for being TOO DARK. :))
    Just home from second viewing of BvS.

full.gif
    Just home from second viewing of BvS.

full.gif

I feel your pain.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I saw it tonight for the first time. And I'm happily in the minority that really enjoyed it, flaws and all.

I would be extremely pleased if they recast Luthor in the future, though. Eisenberg ruined every scene he was in. He was awful.