Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Batman and Alfred, I'm afraid.

Cavill is OK but Eisenberg as Luthor is one of the most irritating character I've even seen, so irritating he blows Jinx out of the water in terms of annoyance.

1383.gif
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2016 Posts: 15,692
    All I'm going to say is, the upcoming solo Batman movie with Affleck is going to be magnificent. He steals every scene he is in and made a much bigger impression in 1 film with Cavill in two. I am as excited for solo Batfleck as I was for Bond 22 after seeing CR 10 years ago.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @doubleoego maybe it's the dubbing in my version that made it worse but Eisenberg is so camp he would make Blofeld in DAF look as serious as Robert Shaw's Grant. Why is he doing making weird sounds every 2 sentence.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    @doubleoego maybe it's the dubbing in my version that made it worse but Eisenberg is so camp he would make Blofeld in DAF look as serious as Robert Shaw's Grant. Why is he doing making weird sounds every 2 sentence.

If I'm not mistaken your French?
    I'm going to see it dubbed in German.

Did you see it in 3D? Luckily I can watch it in 2D tonight. I HATE 3D, especially when they fast-edit the action.
    That's correct, @BondJasonBond006, and yes I saw it in 2D.

I have no idea who or what Eisenberg was trying to channel, but I haven't been this uneasy about a performance since Nicolas Cage in the 'Wicker Man' remake.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    The serious tone in MoS already failed big time. I hope in BvS it will work.

Again, the casting may be the biggest problem. Cavill is ok-ish if he had gotten better material in MoS.
    But Eisenberg and Affleck, yikes. That's like Clooney O'Connell all over again, I guess.

I'm not going into the cinema with too high expectations but I'm nervous as hell, 2 1/2 hours from now it starts :-O

I liked Man Of Steel, the only thing I found heavy handed was the constant religious theme. The actual tone I found fine.

Affleck is a fine actor and looks to be the best Batman/Bruce Wayne.
    The serious tone in MoS already failed big time. I hope in BvS it will work.

Again, the casting may be the biggest problem. Cavill is ok-ish if he had gotten better material in MoS.
    But Eisenberg and Affleck, yikes. That's like Clooney O'Connell all over again, I guess.

I'm not going into the cinema with too high expectations but I'm nervous as hell, 2 1/2 hours from now it starts :-O

I liked Man Of Steel, the only thing I found heavy handed was the constant religious theme. The actual tone I found fine.

Affleck is a fine actor and looks to be the best Batman/Bruce Wayne.

MICHAEL CHRISTIAN KEATON-BALE
    IS THE ONE AND ONLY FOREVER BEST BATMAN. FULL STOP. PERIOD. BELIEVE IT.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Watching it later this week, but I should probably write a review first.

I really REALLY need to recalibrate my level of expectations for this movie.
    Affleck in BvS is a bit like mixing one of the top 3 best Bond performances and one of the middle ranked Bond films. I don't mean that BvS is bad , but it seems they put all the effort in making Affleck into a fantastic Batman, and forgetting the rest so the everything else is (way) below par compared to Affleck's insane performance.
    That's correct, @BondJasonBond006, and yes I saw it in 2D.

I have no idea who or what Eisenberg was trying to channel, but I haven't been this uneasy about a performance since Nicolas Cage in the 'Wicker Man' remake.

OH DEAR Cage - Wicker Man - that bad?!
    And I thought Eisenberg can't possibly get more annoying than he already is in most of his movies...
    I am probably overreacting, barely 2 hours since I saw the film, but dear oh dear.

He switches midsentence from talking calmly to hamming it up like Toby Stephens in DAD and back again to something else while making weird faces and sounds every 10 seconds.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    After MOS I was expecting it to be shit given the same 'creative' team is behind it.

Unless it got 5 stars in Empire I wasn't about to go anywhere near it so looks like I'll be waiting for Netflix then.

Well, I'm going now. In 40 minutes I see it.

I'm nervous, it will not leave me cold that's for sure, I'm too much of a Batman fan and especially Justice League and if WW is in it as well (as some have claimed) then it'll be exciting...

See you all 23 houndred hours zulu time. Jason
    edited March 2016 Posts: 11,139

Look forward to your feedback @jasonbond assuming I havn't jumped out my window.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I have to say I'm slightly disappointed with the negative reception this film is getting.
    Well you know the old saying: 'opinions are like assholes...'. All you can do is see it for yourself!
    Don't let the mixed reviews get you down too badly. Critics often rip to shreds movies I end up loving.
    Come Friday morning, I'll be sitting in my police car drooling in anticipation for the evening showing ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Come Friday morning, I'll be sitting in my police car drooling in anticipation for the evening showing ;)

Remember when I sat drooling in your police car?
    aYWR0AO_700b_v1.jpg
  • RC7RC7
    edited March 2016 Posts: 10,512
    I don't find the reviews too surprising. The mistake the studio made was to consider Snyder a 'visionary' director, as he is billed on The Watchmen trailer. He isn't a 'visionary' director, he's a 'visual' director. There's a very big difference. Nothing about Snyder says 'storyteller' to me and in a precinct of intricate world building, that's the equivalent of asking The Chuckle Brothers to start as a front two at the Euro's.
    Succinctly put.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    Im anxious to hear @BondJasonBond006's opinion on Batfleck after seeing the film.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Im anxious to hear @BondJasonBond006's opinion on Batfleck after seeing the film.

Apparently, he hasn't been impressed in the slightest with the former half of the movie. I had a feeling this movie would get pretty mixed-to-negative reviews, as seems to be the case. Seeing a lot of 5's and 6's out of 10's, haven't read any reviews though so I'm not sure what the fans are/aren't loving about it.
    Well you know the old saying: 'opinions are like assholes...'. All you can do is see it for yourself!
    Don't let the mixed reviews get you down too badly. Critics often rip to shreds movies I end up loving.

I mean this is a great mindset to have really but I feel like people saying this is often an indication that a film isn't that good. If the film had received critical acclaim I doubt anyone would be saying go make up your own mind.

In my experience, the whole "who cares about the critics" mentality only seems to come up when a film isn't doing very well but people are desperate to like it. I know because I've been guilty of this myself many times (check the Bourne Legacy thread on here for proof, big fan of that series and actually thought it was a decent film, but I tried to convince myself and others that the bad reviews meant nothing even though I knew deep down they were probably an indication that it was the weakest Bourne film by far).

It is definitely the right thing to do, making up your own mind, especially if it's a film you're excited for. But I think whenever people start saying that the critics don't matter it doesn't bode well for how good a film is. I think if it's being savaged by critics as this film is, it's probably best to at least try to lower expectations.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Apparently, he hasn't been impressed in the slightest with the former half of the movie. I had a feeling this movie would get pretty mixed-to-negative reviews, as seems to be the case. Seeing a lot of 5's and 6's out of 10's, haven't read any reviews though so I'm not sure what the fans are/aren't loving about it.

giphy.gif
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Went this evening to see BvS, completely review free by the way. Had no idea what the general public thinks (very refreshing) was completely blown away by the Movie 10/10 (and i am more of a casual Batman fan, not a fanboy by any stretch) came back home, checked the reviews, thinking to myself the critics must have equally been blown away, and now i'm realizing something must be terribly wrong here. To each their own i guess, i just really hope this movie won't flop because of it...
    114 reviews

41 fresh

73 rotten

36%

5.3 average

HJfk58T.gif

@00Agent glad you liked the movie. What in particular impressed you?

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited March 2016 Posts: 40,528
    @doubleoego, I owe you a high five one day for that Matrix GIF.
    Lol *virtual high 5*
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    @doubleoego i haven't really analized it yet. Maybe thats the best thing you can do. Just enjoy it for what it is, and it is a Spectacle in the truest sense. Also they did things that i haven't seen comig at all, character and story wise, but i won't spoil Anything. Overall the Movie was very heavy, heavy on pathos, and epicness, and i like this sort of stuff when it's done good. And i have no idea how it could have been done any better. Yes, after the Movie i felt like i've been hit by a freight train but some of my favorite movies of all time felt like that. I was totally engaged from the first to the last frame. Btw i loved Man of Steel, this movie is definitly only for the Man of Steel lovers out there. It's the same Tone, but this one goes even deeper in that direction, and i loved it for that. I simply enjoyed the visual spectacle of BvS and the dark and uncompromissing tone.