Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited March 2016 Posts: 11,139
    doubleoego wrote: »
    This is a field day for all the doubters and haters. Fans are already calling for Snyder's head. Wow.

on imdb there are TONS of 10/10 reviews, rating 9.2 !!

Scored by a bunch of people who havn't seen the movie. What worries me is the overreaction from fans at how quick they're turning on Snyder and coming up with all these ridiculous conspiracy theories. Either way I'm still excited to see this and hoping I enjoy it but I'm setting my expectations low so hopefully I can be pleasantly surprised.
    I'm going insane waiting to see it
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    chrisisall wrote: »

So, after my first viewing, this film gets roughly a B or B- from me.

For a point of reference, what superhero movies get an "A" from you?

Not many, to be honest. Definitely The Winter Soldier and Watchmen.
    Cool! I might pony up for this then!
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited March 2016 Posts: 1,257
    Just a heads up people, there are indeed parts of this film you don't want spoiled. Be careful out there. It's best to stay out of comment sections of videos and articles for the next few days.
    OEQwUPU.gif
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    In exactly 12 hours I'm sitting in the cinema hall, and the movie starts B-)
    I think you'll enjoy it @jasonbond and I think I'll enjoy it also. If I can enjoy this film more than SP then I'm happy.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 11,139
    @doubleoego

They are starting to seriously bash the movie here as well. Just read an awful review of it in our most wide read online-newspaper.

I have nothing against Ben Affleck, I said it before and I still believe this is hurting the chances of getting good reviews a lot. The casting decision always gets criticised in articles, now again. They compare it to George Clooney and I even can't blame them.

Also MoS was a critical and ticket sales disaster in Switzerland (and I think Germany too).
    That doesn't help either. Many people are still cross with Snyder for "ruining" MoS.

Well, we'll see how it plays out. If the movie is a triumph, it will be successful, with which I mean profitable, hence the billion mark has to be reached.
    If not, and this is my big fear, who knows, the future Justice League movie may be in danger and that would seriously break my heart.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    doubleoego wrote: »

A headline like that says more about the author than it does the film, IMO.
    Appears the fans are loving BvS, critics love it or hate it. I read that one critic who gave a 'this is DC heaven' comment, said some may find it impenetrable. Can't wait to see this film...
    It does make you wonder about the mentality of the Twitter posters who were singing the movie's praises. I, for one, always ignore anyone that has just come straight from a movie preview and heads straight for their cellphone and Twitter account. They mostly tend to be overexcited dweebs who got to see it first and don't tend to have their heads on straight as a consequence.

But, alas, as I posted here last week, Empire has only given it 3 stars.

But it's always refreshing to see some folk here get the movie's reception so spectacularly wrong. :))
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Let's remind ourselves that the first 'Taken' film with Liam Neeson also got totally destroyed by movie critics (on RT it had an average 5.8/10, which is barely higher than B v S right now), yet it became a cult classic and is widely recognized as one of the best action films of the last 10 years.
    The problem is, MoS wasn't well recieved and Snyder had time to make this film right and learn from his mistakes but he apparently has not. This is an important film because it's supposed to spearhead the DCCU and it features DC's 3 biggest heroes and it looks like the've done f***** it up. Goyer isn't to blame this time, Terrio? Snyder? WB for giving Snyder multiple chances despite delivering a string of underperfomances?

This is DC'S crucial moment and based on the results, you can forget competing in the fight, they've failed to make weight at the weight in. Batman v Superman is now at 36% on RT against Affleck's 2003 Daredevil movie scored at 44% and Batman Forever's 41%...I can't believe this happening, it's un*******real.

giphy.gif
    lol well reviewers will review again I will go into the film with a clear mind and watch it and either love it or hate it based on what I see not based on what GQ says.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2016 Posts: 15,691
    Will Snyder still be directing Justice League now? Filming starts next month.
    At the end of the day, as some have said it here, BvS is a guaranteed 1 billion dollar movie, if not 1.5. No matter how good or bad it is.
    So Snyder has nothing to fear I think. But overall, the JL series might just not make as much money as DC was hoping.

In 10 hours I will have seen BvS. It's no less than the most important movie for me since Star Trek (2009), so I'm naturally more than just a bit nervous :-S
    Snyder will be Directing Justice League and honestly I am fine with it.. a few things I feel I can now discuss sort of

So of course the one thing I am excvited/interested in is Affleck's batman who I have heard is a womanizer and very brutal which I think is kind of cool honestly. of course annoyingly he is apparently "the Villain" of the piece so as a batman only fan that does piss me off but I am still going into it with an open mind. of course a Bruce who sleeps around and a Batman who is brutal is hopefully similar to Animated Series Batman who though it was a kids show come on he had ot of at least slept with Catwoman and Talia if not them and Batgirl rather then Frank miller's batman which is what Jett is saying.. so a little nervous about that plus a lot of people are saying this is still a superman film and since I hate superman I feel like WB is tricking me into seeing a superman movie...

I will write a full review after seeing the film on Friday these were just a few thoughts based on the reviews...

The good news is most hard core batman fans all say the same thinbg

Affleck's solo Batman film needs to be Greenlight and announced ASAP

which if he does a mob based film with sort of the Freaks (led by either Black Mask or Ventriloquist) versus The Mob ( lead by Rupert Thorne perhaps even played by John Goodman if one can hope) I would also want that green light tomorrow if its Batman versus the joker again meh I will see it but Like bond versus Blofeld and superman versus lex I am a little tired of it.
    Many people are saying fans will love this, I hope they're right. I'm tired of waiting years for games and movies that appeal to me only to end up being disappointed. 2 more days... :-SS
    I feel the same way Doubleoego

the last film I walked out of the theater loving was Mission Impossible Rogue Nation before that Captain America Winter Soldier so I have had a few dissapointments in my film viewing for example

Spectre

heck even the last Batman film was good but not great The Dark Knight Rises is just kind of meh
    Risico007 wrote: »

So of course the one thing I am excvited/interested in is Affleck's batman who I have heard is a womanizer and very brutal which I think is kind of cool honestly. of course annoyingly he is apparently "the Villain" of the piece so as a batman only fan that does piss me off but I am still going into it with an open mind. of course a Bruce who sleeps around and a Batman who is brutal is hopefully similar to Animated Series Batman who though it was a kids show come on he had ot of at least slept with Catwoman and Talia if not them and Batgirl rather then Frank miller's batman which is what Jett is saying.. so a little nervous about that plus a lot of people are saying this is still a superman film and since I hate superman I feel like WB is tricking me into seeing a superman movie...

I will write a full review after seeing the film on Friday these were just a few thoughts based on the reviews...

The good news is most hard core batman fans all say the same thinbg

Affleck's solo Batman film needs to be Greenlight and announced ASAP

which if he does a mob based film with sort of the Freaks (led by either Black Mask or Ventriloquist) versus The Mob ( lead by Rupert Thorne perhaps even played by John Goodman if one can hope) I would also want that green light tomorrow if its Batman versus the joker again meh I will see it but Like bond versus Blofeld and superman versus lex I am a little tired of it.

I think my main concern is Batfleck's solo film. That's the biggest thing for me that I don't want compromised. As long as this is still happening seeing as there's nothing to fault about Affleck's performance (he's being hailed as the best cinematic batman ever) then I can rest somewhat easy.
    it will happen Doubleoego I can almost guarantee that but my fear is choice of villains

Sorry Leto may be an excellent joker in Sucide Squad but I could care less about the joker again. I know every other batman fan just wants more joker for me honestly NOPE I want Mad Hatter or Clayface or hush or heck Dead Shot would be kind of cool... (Affleck versus will smith I would take it)

as it stands because Leto is Joker in Sucide Squad people are assuming Affleck's solo film will be a Dark Knight returns/killing joke affair with Batman taking on the joker one last time...

Hoping that doesn't happen
    Yeah, they definitely need to let joker rest and move away from the usual suspects and give us villains we haven't seen before. In fact, I think in all of comicdom, batman and spider-man have the most interesting rogues gallery. Lets see batman go up against some one new.
    @Risico007

Not every Batman fan wants more Joker.
    Jack Nicholson was and always be the true cinematic Joker. I didn't like Heath Ledger's take on it.
    And I sure don't want to see that abomination they made of Joker in Suicide Squad in a Batman solo movie.

There are so many cool villains that haven't been used. But of course they have to go for the well-known villains I guess. Still, I rather have another version of The Riddler or The Penguin before I want to see another Joker.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    You know, there could be another point of view to this whole thing. I.e. the film could just be not up to standards and the critics could be right. It's not all that easy to make an effective ensemble piece after all.

I'm watching it on Friday, and am not reading any reviews beforehand. My expectations are lower now (as they were with SP) and I'm curious to see if I have a positive first impression or not.

The key will be this: Will I want to go and see it again shortly?
    Just came back from the cinema.

F*ck the critics. Sure the film is nowhere near as good as the Nolan's film, but it is an improvement on 'Man of Steel'.

As for Affleck as Batman, he is absolutely fantastic. There are 2 fight scenes where he is completely ruthless. Same for Irons as Alfred - a total legend.

Just a heads up for those who hated the CGI mayhem at the end of 'MoS': this new film makes 'MoS' look like FRWL in terms of level of destruction compared to 'BvS'.

My only big complaint, which is the same I'll made towards SP: the plot is rather thin for a 140+mins film, and the film went a bit all over the place in the first 40/50 minutes.
    So in other words the only good thing about this is batman?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    There seems to be a divide between what critics and fans want. A lot of reviews note that the serious tone doesn't seem to work but considering the various bits of source material that Snyder and the writing team pulled from (TDKR, for example, was quite dark considering how fantastical it was), I'm quite happy that it's got that tone.

I can't comment on the general storytelling but I honestly doubt it's that bad. I hated Iron Man 3's overall story yet that got pretty decent reviews from critics.

I think most critics just aren't on the same page as the target audience so I'm still really excited to see this despite Eisenberg's rather unorthodox portrayal of Luther.
    Batman and Alfred, I'm afraid.

Cavill is OK but Eisenberg as Luthor is one of the most irritating character I've even seen, so irritating he blows Jinx out of the water in terms of annoyance.

The serious tone in MoS already failed big time. I hope in BvS it will work.

Again, the casting may be the biggest problem. Cavill is ok-ish if he had gotten better material in MoS.
    But Eisenberg and Affleck, yikes. That's like Clooney O'Connell all over again, I guess.

I'm not going into the cinema with too high expectations but I'm nervous as hell, 2 1/2 hours from now it starts :-O