Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited March 2016 Posts: 28,694
    I'm off to see an early screening of BvS. I'll be sure to spoil the whole film for you guys when I get home.

That's okay, @Seven_Point_Six_Five, we've all seen the second BvS trailer. ;)

I hope you have a blast, you lucky son of a... To quote Jor-El from MoS, "Our hopes and dreams travel with you."
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I could go to an early screening today. Not sure I'm going though.

Batman is my religion and if the movie sucks, it will destroy me...
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    It won't suck...it's getting positive buzz and wonder woman seems to be the show stealer
    doubleoego wrote: »
    It won't suck...it's getting positive buzz and wonder woman seems to be the show stealer

Wonder Woman is in BvS?? :-O OMG she is my favourite Justice League member...

so, there are already Justice League members appearing in this movie?
    Oh Dear, I will probably die of excitment if I see this finally happening...I dreamed my whole life of a Justice League movie....
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'm skeptical of Gadot as WW being the scene stealer, as I haven't quite bought into her casting yet, but I'm willing to keep an open mind and erase (at least momentarily) all positive childhood memories of Carter when I walk into the theatre.
    the twitter response to the film thus far has been EXTREMLY positive citing Affleck as the best batman Gadot as amazing the film as the best etc.. I am curious and excited Like I said one of my favorite batman the animated series episodes was when Batman and superman first meet in that show so maybe it will be the same here.

Wow what a week MacGyver was cast on Monday and Friday I see Batman V Superman...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Oh Dear, I will probably die of excitment if I see this finally happening...I dreamed my whole life of a Justice League movie....

@BondJasonBond006, you really have no idea what you're heading into when you watch BvS, do you? I envy the many surprises awaiting you. How you've been able to separate yourself from spoilers this close to release is amazing and something that makes me extremely jealous. I sucked up all the trailers like warm soup and immediately regretted some of those decisions.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Will see it this week, and really looking forward to it despite that quirky Luthor casting.
    Apparently Eisenberg is being hailed as the best Luthor. I don't know if it's knee jerk first impressions but things are looking very very good for this movie.

@BondJasonBond006, you really have no idea what you're heading into when you watch BvS, do you? I envy the many surprises awaiting you. How you've been able to separate yourself from spoilers this close to release is amazing and something that makes me extremely jealous. I sucked up all the trailers like warm soup and immediately regretted some of those decisions.

:)
    I have only seen the teaser trailer, nothing else, and I kind of closed my eyes when photos were posted here :))

When it comes to Batman, James Bond and Star Trek I don't want to know anything. Of course it is difficult. I have seen the Star Trek Beyond trailer, I couldn't help it, damn.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I just checked some advance thumbnail reviews and I could not find one that didn't sing praises...
    Why did they embargo the reviews if its recieving praise?
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »
    Why did they embargo the reviews if its recieving praise?
    Suits have no clue. They are like deer in headlights.
    Um no. In this case, they know exactly what they're doing. There was an embargo because people's attention spans in general are rubbish. No point in releasing reviews weeks before a film is released, especially when you consider that the opening weekend BO intake is quite important. If you know you have a hit on your hands then you lift the embargo days before release, that way when people and critics see it and then start blabbing about how its the best movie ever or some such hyperbolic knee jerk reaction, people will flock out to go and see it ASAP.
    @doubleoego, thanks! That makes sense!
    Ok...um...hmmm...this movie seems to be taking a serious bearing by film critics. The score on rotten tomatoes isn't encouraging.
    In less than 24 hours I will have seen BvS. I'm already shaking of excitement just thinking about it.
    Please, please Zac Snyder, let this be as bloody perfect as Watchmen!
    My expectations have now taken a massive nosedive. I hope the film is good and that I can enjoy it but...Oh dear.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited March 2016 Posts: 1,257
    So I'll give some brief non spoiler thoughts on the film.

For better or for worse, this film was not exactly what I expected. There were moments where I found myself thinking "I didn't expect that" or "I didn't think they had the balls to do that". It has a very strong comic book feel to it, much more than MOS. It felt like a MOS sequel infused with some Watchmen DNA.

Regarding performances, they were for the most part very solid!

Cavill - This is very much a Superman story. Most of the plot revolves around Superman and things related to him. Once again, he gave a grounded, emotional performance where he is unsure about his place in the world. He really struggles with how the world views him. If you liked Cavill's characterization of Supes in MOS, you should really like what you see in BvS. If not, then I don't really know what to tell ya. But I'll admit, I still don't think Cavill has been given the opportunity to really win us all over yet.

Affleck - I am all aboard the Batfleck train! I don't recall a single thing about his performance, his Bruce Wayne, or his Batman I didn't like. I want more! His Batman is so fast and brutal and his fight scenes were brilliantly done! Seriously, that fight we saw in the final trailer was so damn cool. Also, Knightmare Batman was awesome. It was like some sort of bizarre apocalyptic Elseworld batman. I also loved the relationship he has with Jeremy Iron's Alfred. This Alfred is more of a "partner in crime" to Bruce, than he is the traditional butler. To sum it up, Batfleck was the standout character for me.

Gadot - I heard from numerous people that Wonder Woman stole the show but I didn't see it. She really didn't have enough screen time to steal the show, at least not as Wonder Woman. Her Diana Prince, on the other hand, was what caught my eye. I thought she had an excellent presence to her. Extremely sexy, confident, and mysterious.

All in all, I am more than pleased with DC's trinity. I was skeptical of Affleck and Gadot's casting initially, but I am so happy to say they won me over and I am definitely looking forward to seeing more of them in the future, whether it be solo films or JL films.

Eisenberg - This is really the only performance that I am iffy on. Eisenberg's Luthor will likely be divisive. He got the manipulative narcissistic mastermind part down, but the over the top eccentric personality is a bit jarring. Still, I'm rolling with it.

Regarding the structure of the film, this is where it struggled. Firstly, early in the film, it just jumped from scene to scene to scene without much to bridge them or aid their transition. There is a lot going on and it happens fast. Fortunately this seemed to even out later in the film. And finally, this film is packed to the brim. DC is clearly trying to catch up to Marvel and it shows but we all knew that anyway.

So, after my first viewing, this film gets roughly a B or B- from me. Certainly no less than a C+. I'm curious to see how or if that changes after my second and third viewing later this week or once the hype dies down.

I cant wait to hear what you guys think it!
    All this negativity is honestly nauseating. It seems that people aren't pleased with anything anymore, no matter how truly great the product is at its essence. It's not an isolated incident, but rampant with every medium, from comics and film to video games and literature.

Forgive me if I don't hitch my cart to a band of self-indulgent critics. I think we all know better than that, especially when it comes to superhero films.
    So I'll give some brief non spoiler thoughts on the film.

... infused with some Watchmen DNA.

That is the best news you just delivered. Watchmen is a masterpiece, if BvS is anything like that I'll be walking on air for days :D
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    All this negativity is honestly nauseating. It seems that people aren't pleased with anything anymore, no matter how truly great the product is at its essence. It's not an isolated incident, but rampant with every medium, from comics and film to video games and literature.

The internet gave rise to this, thanks to Amazon and YouTube, people can bitch about whatever they want, no matter what, for no real reason. If the color of somebody's shirt is displeasing to someone, they can bitch about it and people will latch onto that and follow it as far as possible.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 17,691

So, after my first viewing, this film gets roughly a B or B- from me.

For a point of reference, what superhero movies get an "A" from you?
    Just like when Star Wars came out while I was stuck at work, I'll be spending the next few days with my mind on nothing but Batman V Superman.
    That damn feeling like all the cool kids are at a party and I wasn't invited.... >:(
    This is a field day for all the doubters and haters. Fans are already calling for Snyder's head. Wow.
    Keyboard warriors do little else.
    This is a field day for all the doubters and haters. Fans are already calling for Snyder's head. Wow.

on imdb there are TONS of 10/10 reviews, rating 9.2 !!
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    chrisisall wrote: »

So, after my first viewing, this film gets roughly a B or B- from me.

For a point of reference, what superhero movies get an "A" from you?

Not many, to be honest. Definitely The Winter Soldier and Watchmen. Also The Dark Knight (but I consider that more of a crime thriller than a super hero or comic book movie). Some that come fairly close are Avengers, Captain America: The First Avenger, and Spider Man 1 and 2.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Wait. I was reading comments that this film was the greatest thing since sliced bread a few hours ago. Now I'm reading that it could be a POS. What changed? I can't wait to make my own decision on it in a few days.
    Until I see the film, I'm staying well away from here. I'm sick of having my enjoyment of a film ruined by a bunch of whiners who have to poke holes in everything they see to get off.

It's SP all over again, I swear.