Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Comments

I would hope you will at least give the trailer a shot...

I am not going to say I am not nervous about his batman voice as I honestly am however I just think he will do a great job the guy (according to Kevin Smith) loves batman and has a few graphic novels of the character years before he was cast. And according to his wife he was like "a kid" when he found out he won the part. I think when an actor is that excited to do a role usually he is able to do a great job.

Time will tell and we will see I guess
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Urban gets the love simply because he's perfect for the role. Watch Dredd and you'll see why he's the ideal choice. That's the comic book Batman to a tee. Hamm is my second choice because after his role in MadMen it's clear he has a knack for portraying duality in his characters. And when playing Batman you need to essentially play two completely different characters.

What separates Affleck's controversial casting from the likes of say Daniel Craig, Michael Keaton as Batman or Heath Ledger as The Joker was that all 3 actors had in the past put on fantastic performances and had proven their range and diversity. And while I admire Affleck's work as a director, I'm sorry but as an actor I think he mostly sucks. In nearly 20 years I've never seen him give a show-stealing performance. He's ranged from mediocre to bad. And Batman has to have a larger than life presence and gravitas that can scare the hell out of you. "Larger than life" "gravitas" and "scary" is not how I'd describe Ben Affleck. Again if you can name me a movie where he gives a Christian Bale-like performance I'd happily give it a chance. I just don't think it exists.
    Very interesting. I'd never thought of Urban as Batman before but I could see him making it work. I've liked him in everything that I've seen him in. He was criminally underused in the new Star Trek films.

As far as Affleck goes, I can understand where you're coming from. I've been skeptical about his casting since day one but I am going to wait to see the finished product before I rush to judgement. I personally don't think he's as bad of an actor as you do but I do question him being right for the role of Batman. If he has great chemistry with Cavill and the rest of the cast then maybe, perhaps, it just might work in the context of this film.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 1,778
    pachazo wrote:
    Urban gets the love simply because he's perfect for the role. Watch Dredd and you'll see why he's the ideal choice. That's the comic book Batman to a tee. Hamm is my second choice because after his role in MadMen it's clear he has a knack for portraying duality in his characters. And when playing Batman you need to essentially play two completely different characters.

What separates Affleck's controversial casting from the likes of say Daniel Craig, Michael Keaton as Batman or Heath Ledger as The Joker was that all 3 actors had in the past put on fantastic performances and had proven their range and diversity. And while I admire Affleck's work as a director, I'm sorry but as an actor I think he mostly sucks. In nearly 20 years I've never seen him give a show-stealing performance. He's ranged from mediocre to bad. And Batman has to have a larger than life presence and gravitas that can scare the hell out of you. "Larger than life" "gravitas" and "scary" is not how I'd describe Ben Affleck. Again if you can name me a movie where he gives a Christian Bale-like performance I'd happily give it a chance. I just don't think it exists.
    Very interesting. I'd never thought of Urban as Batman before but I could see him making it work. I've liked him in everything that I've seen him in. He was criminally underused in the new Star Trek films.

As far as Affleck goes, I can understand where you're coming from. I've been skeptical about his casting since day one but I am going to wait to see the finished product before I rush to judgement. I personally don't think he's as bad of an actor as you do but I do question him being right for the role of Batman. If he has great chemistry with Cavill and the rest of the cast then maybe, perhaps, it just might work in the context of this film.

I'll without a doubt still see the film but any way you cut it going from the team of Nolan/Bale to Snyder/Affleck is a MASSIVE step down in quality. IMO Snyder has never directed a great film and Affleck has never put on a great performance. They're a perfect team for mediocrity. And Batman deserves better than that. Even as a director Affleck isn't nearly as good as Nolan. But believe me no one wishes I'm wrong more than me. I want this film to be great. I just doubt it will be.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Why do people still insist on Affleck being a horrendous actor? Do you still cling to his older films or something, that span of time when everything he did was critically hated? Check out 'The Town' and 'Argo' and tell me he's a terrible actor.

Check out Good Will Hunting way back in the late 90s and tell me quite the same. Not even the greats of the greats can make some bad scripts good, so the blame isn't all on Ben for his career "shortcomings" as they have been called. To me, he's a multi-talented guy with flair and passion, and I'm happy he's gone so far. I have been in his corner since day one of this Batman business, and I can't wait to see what he brings to the character. He's already a huge fan of the comics and has a love for Batman, which is a great thing for someone taking on the character to possess.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Why do people still insist on Affleck being a horrendous actor? Do you still cling to his older films or something, that span of time when everything he did was critically hated? Check out 'The Town' and 'Argo' and tell me he's a terrible actor.

Check out Good Will Hunting way back in the late 90s and tell me quite the same. Not even the greats of the greats can make some bad scripts good, so the blame isn't all on Ben for his career "shortcomings" as they have been called. To me, he's a multi-talented guy with flair and passion, and I'm happy he's gone so far. I have been in his corner since day one of this Batman business, and I can't wait to see what he brings to the character. He's already a huge fan of the comics and has a love for Batman, which is a great thing for someone taking on the character to possess.

I have seen Good Will Hunting and are you talking about the script or his performance? There's a long-running rumor that most of the script was ghost-written and Damon and Affleck were given the oscar because they were two good looking up-and-comers and for political reasons. And as far as his performance goes you and I must have drastically different definitions of "multi-talented" and "flair". He came off like he always comes off which is bored and uninteresting. While I admit he's found his stride as a director, the early part of his career was all luck, connections, and his good looks. Which he has to thank for getting his directorial opportunities in the first place.
    "One other thing worth mentioning, since everyone is anxiously awaiting the first big reveal of the new Batman and Wonder Woman costumes (don’t worry, you don’t have much longer to wait) — as I said earlier, yes the bat-suit will be black and gray. I’ve been told it’s a sort of fabric uniform — not cloth or spandex, mind you — similar to what Captain America wears in the Marvel movies, with some armoring mixed in. He’ll also have a second suit that’s entirely armored, something not unlike Iron Man armor but based off the designs from the comics The Dark Knight Returns and Kingdom Come. We’ll being see at least one of them soon, and when it’s revealed I’ll let you know.

With just days or weeks to go until production really gets fully underway, and with the first reveal of the new costumes coming soon, that means we should also be hearing some official casting announcements and other news soon, dear readers. For now, though, I think some of the evidence gives us strong hints of where things are headed, and as I find out more I’ll be sure to let you know. "
    http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx.shtml

this is exciting
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'll wait until my local library gets it. Man of Steel was a big disappointment. I see more of the same with Batman vs Superman.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 4,813
    The costume sounds fantastic, @Risico007- I can't wait to see it! I'm glad they're trying something new.

Look at this cool video I found- Batman just became a bit more real!

Man builds working Batarang
    http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/83841260/
  • Murdock wrote:
    I'll wait until my local library gets it. Man of Steel was a big disappointment. I see more of the same with Batman vs Superman.

That's the biggest indicator. It's being made by the same crew who made the very underwhelming Man of Steel. Minus their top player, Christopher Nolan. The talent just doesn't seem to be there.
  • Taken from another movie website- not sure how trustworthy it is, but if true, spoilers ahead!!

Without a doubt Zack Snyder’s Man of Steel sequel is the king of the internet rumors. The latest one comes once again courtesy of the website Latino Review. Apparently they found a post on the NeoGaf massage boards of a person that knows someone that got fired from the movies art department. Basically it can all be BS but still a fun read.

Here’s what the poster had to say…..

MAJOR SPOILER WARNING:
    • The villians are Lex Luthor and Metallo

• Batman forms a UN type deal to stop Superman from destroying another city

• Aquaman is in it, but not called Aquaman. He’s there because the world engine in the ocean did something to the fish

• Wonderwoman poses as a Wayne Enterprises investor to retrieve an item that belongs to her people.

• Lex Luthor is in the shadows a lot, a manipulator. Not much face time with Superman.

• Robin betrayed Batman at some point, leading to a falling out between them

• The Batcave was super cool looking, and the mobile looked similar to Burton’s

• Lois is investigating Lex.
  • Taken from another movie website- not sure how trustworthy it is, but if true, spoilers ahead!!

Without a doubt Zack Snyder’s Man of Steel sequel is the king of the internet rumors. The latest one comes once again courtesy of the website Latino Review. Apparently they found a post on the NeoGaf massage boards of a person that knows someone that got fired from the movies art department. Basically it can all be BS but still a fun read.

Here’s what the poster had to say…..

MAJOR SPOILER WARNING:
    • The villians are Lex Luthor and Metallo

• Batman forms a UN type deal to stop Superman from destroying another city

• Aquaman is in it, but not called Aquaman. He’s there because the world engine in the ocean did something to the fish

• Wonderwoman poses as a Wayne Enterprises investor to retrieve an item that belongs to her people.

• Lex Luthor is in the shadows a lot, a manipulator. Not much face time with Superman.

• Robin betrayed Batman at some point, leading to a falling out between them

• The Batcave was super cool looking, and the mobile looked similar to Burton’s

• Lois is investigating Lex.

Old news. This leaked atleast a week ago.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @DoubleOhhSeven, was it posted on here? I know that it's "old," too, but it doesn't mean everyone here has seen it.
    To my knowledge it wasn't posted on here. My apologies. Sometimes I assume everyone is as big a Batman buff as me.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I hadn't read it so found it interesting. It doesn't make me want to see this film any more however.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    edited January 2014 Posts: 2,044
    I wanted Dalton but Irons was a close second so I am happy
    Irons as Alfred sounds amazing, but Eisenberg as Luthor? Sounds terrible to me, but I guess we'll see how he does.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Irons as Alfred sounds amazing, but Eisenberg as Luthor? Sounds terrible to me, but I guess we'll see how he does.

I'm surprised that they've chosen someone as young as Eisenberg to play Luther. I was really hoping Bryan Cranston would get the gig.
    @WillyGalore, I guess I missed reading it, but my friend told me they were going for a younger, Bill Gates type for Luthor, so I suppose we'll see how that goes. I wanted Cranston to play, too (thought this casting would be obvious, with how amazing he was in 'Breaking Bad'), and then I was also cool with the idea of Joaquin Phoenix playing him.
    Still, at least the casting of Irons is a good one even if it means Tim misses out.
  • I'm beginning to wonder if this movie's casting g is all just a big joke on the fans and that they're going to reveal their true cast soon. I'm not saying Eisenberg is a bad actor. It's just he has a specific niche and is horrendously miscast.
    I'm beginning to wonder if this movie's casting g is all just a big joke on the fans and that they're going to reveal their true cast soon. I'm not saying Eisenberg is a bad actor. It's just he has a specific niche and is horrendously miscast.

I'm always prepared to give benefit of the doubt until I see the film (which given how much I disliked MoS probably means I'll wait for DVD/BluRay).
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Jeremy Irons is fantastic casting. It's great to have him on board and another good casting choice of the few it appears to have been made so far.
    This is was posted on Empire's FB page on hearing this latest news:

1621839_10202028122562059_1689497569_n.jpg

1606856_742444332432720_885217937_n.jpg

The 2nd one is my fav.
  • Eh...

I'm expecting a mediocre action film like the last two Superman films, but we'll see. My hopes aren't high though.
    The problem for me isn't the casting, it's the director. I'd be much happier if Affleck replaced Snyder.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 4,813
    So Dalton is NOT playing Alfred.

134038682542.png

Well there goes my good mood.
  • DC being crap again...wrong Batman, wrong Luther, wrong wonder woman...rushing to get the Justice League in place to compete with the Avengers - Marvel etc.

All Marvel have to do is release a Hulk World War films with Ruffalo at the same time as Justice League and that would be the end of DC ha ha ha ha ha ha ha he he he he he he he he he he...
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 9,767
    I like Batman and Alfred.

and wrong wonder woman what are you smoking Gal Gadot is PERFECT
    Whenever somebody complains about casting...all I have to say to myself is Michael Keaton, Daniel Craig, Heath Ledger, Anne Hathaway. Come May 2016, the critics will hopefully be silenced.