Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    001 wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    samainsy wrote:
    Watching QoS does that count cos its now

"Last Movie you Watched?"

no it don't count if its now cos this in past and ther's a better thread here http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/80/last-bond-movie-you-watched/p1 do you like posting without punctuation cos we dont

Calm down Dimi and stop being a troll.

@DarthDimi isn't a troll. He's more of a...

...problem eliminator. B-)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    @DarthDimi isn't a troll. He's more of a...

...problem eliminator. B-)

Hahahahaha, well played Brady!!
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 11,189
    Just switched off

Austin Powers: Goldmember

Been a while since I've watched this. I liked the first two but this falls into the same trap Bond did and starts to parody itself. Ironic considering AP was originally a parody of Bond.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 12,837
    BAIN123 wrote:

I just saw a bit of it too, haven't seen it for years. It's not as good as the first two but I like it, mainly because of Michael Caine. They do rely too much on gags they've used before but I thought it was still a funny movie. The best bit is when Caine starts telling the henchmen how to do their jobs.

If they ever do a 4th one, I wonder if they'll keep on parodying the 60s/70s Bonds (and using the same gags), or if Myers will do something different and maybe parody the whole gritty reboot idea.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    BAIN123 wrote:

I just saw a bit of it too, haven't seen it for years. It's not as good as the first two but I like it, mainly because of Michael Caine. They do rely too much on gags they've used before but I thought it was still a funny movie. The best bit is when Caine starts telling the henchmen how to do their jobs.

If they ever do a 4th one, I wonder if they'll keep on parodying the 60s/70s Bonds (and using the same gags), or if Myers will do something different and maybe parody the whole gritty reboot idea.

That would be interesting indeed... :-?
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I thought the second Johnny English film would go down that route but instead they just chucked in a martial arts training montage in the mountains (ala Batman) and a parkour sequence.

Apart from that it was business as usual (with gadgets, etc) but not very funny. Shame because I liked the first one, big guilty pleasure of mine.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Just moments ago finished watching Looper.
    This is a movie that needs to NOT be spoiled, so all I'll say is that is was an unexpectedly good rather hard-SF action movie. I'm so glad I saw it. \m/
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited April 2013 Posts: 13,894
    The Grass Is Greener
    2888544488_c316df78d9.jpg

Who would have known that Cary Grant & Robert Mitchum could be perfect foils. The expression on Mitch's face, just prior to the duel, where he looks sideways and sizes Grant up, is a fine example of understated comedy. Not a perfect film...
    the Kerr/Mitchum romance feels rushed
    ... but the principal cast (Grant, Kerr, Mitchum & Simmons), play off one another enough to carry the film.

Mitchum ranking: 12/26
  • samainsysamainsy Suspended
    I thought the second Johnny English film would go down that route but instead they just chucked in a martial arts training montage in the mountains (ala Batman) and a parkour sequence.

Apart from that it was business as usual (with gadgets, etc) but not very funny. Shame because I liked the first one, big guilty pleasure of mine.
    I agree.

The Grass Is Greener
    2888544488_c316df78d9.jpg

Who would have known that Cary Grant & Robert Mitchum could be perfect foils. The expression on Mitch's face, just prior to the duel, where he looks sideways and sizes Grant up, is a fine example of understated comedy. Not a perfect film...
    the Kerr/Mitchum romance feels rushed
    ... but the principal cast (Grant, Kerr, Mitchum & Simmons), play off one another enough to carry the film.

Mitchum ranking: 12/26

Just that picture alone has sold me. Yet another you got me interested it, Major. Added to my watchlist immediately!
    GoldFinger ultimate edition.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 2,081
    this week so far

dvd:
    Marnie - it had been ages since I saw it and I liked it much more this time around. Better than I remembered.

tv:
    Never Say Never Again - well, it had been ages since I saw that one as well, and it didn't seem any better now than I remembered, and it failed to hold my attention all the way.
    The Ninth Gate - Polanski and Depp, so I thought I'd give it another chance, but it was still disappointing. Not bad, but not that good, either. Somehow... flat and cliched.

cinema:
    Cloud Atlas - that did hold my attention, but it was... well... umm... not sure what exactly, but I liked it anyway. And isn't it just amazing what make-up artists etc. can do. I didn't recognize all incarnations of all actors. I think I want to read the book. (The books-to-read-list is endless, so it remains to be seen if I ever will.)
    The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)
    I liked this movie a lot. 8/10
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Tuulia, that's how I am with films: so many I still need to see, but I add more than I cross off. Nice to hear another good review of 'Cloud Atlas,' though. I can't wait to catch it on blu-ray.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Impulse 1974
    Impulse-1974.jpg

I saw this movie on youtube out of curiosity for two reasons. William Shatner and Harold Sakata. Captain Kirk and Oddjob in the same movie! cool! Well...I gotta say this is one of the weirdest movies I have ever seen. Shatner plays a Serial Killer Con man who's trying to con women out of there money and kill them when he's got it. Heck he even kills Sakata's character quicker than Bond could kill Oddjob. First he hangs him then runs him down in a drive in car wash. (now to think of a Bond pun...) It's a very weird movie and the DVD cover pictured above is very misleading. They actually used a picture of William Shatner as Captain Kirk for it. :))

cheesy 70's drama movie. 5/10 (only worth watching for the hilariously odd Shatner performance.)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    THE BLACK CAT (1934)

TheBlackCatPoe.jpg

I love this film intensely. Given its age, many will no doubt fear that it might be a dull, empty load of slow-moving scenes full of old-fashioned nicenesses. It's nothing like that though. Here's one creepy film involving an extremely exciting tension between the two greats of the day, Karloff and Lugosi. Particularly Karloff is a joy to have in this film, even more so, I dare say, than when he played the Frankenstein Monster. Lugosi adds the enigmatic Eastern European flavours for which he is well-known. We get hints of necrophilia, a genuine fear of cats, the carefully planning out of a vengeance act and a impressions of torture. I'm amazed over the extra layers in this film's story compared to other contemporary films, even the ones with Karloff and/or Lugosi. It's also one of the first films ever to be almost continuously scored.

blackcatBorisandBela.jpg

My affection for old movies runs deep - very deep in fact, and this one stands out for me as one of the very best of the days. Obviously it's no Saw or Sinister, but given the fact of its old age (79!), it holds up remarkably well. I nevertheless only recommend it to people with some experience in this type of films. If black-and-white is a problem for you, stay away from this film (and incidentally, I deeply regret the prejudice.) But even though I doubt anyone today will lose any sleep over The Black Cat, from various points of view I think it might just entertain you in the right ways.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I call myself a Lugosi fan, yet I have not seen The Black Cat.
    I call myself a Lugosi fan, yet I have not seen The Black Cat.

Then you really should, Major! I hold this film in a much higher esteem than The Raven (though I like that one too), Dracula, the Frankensteins on which he collaborated, The Island Of Lost Souls and so on. I find the themes of the film remarkably progressive and some of the camera work is truly 'modern'. Lugosi and Karloff work well together in this film and Julie Bishop is allowed a few memorable moments too. I think you might enjoy this one.
    Best way to kick off the day:

TIMECOP

220px-Timecopposter.jpg

Remember the 90s? I do. :D One of my childhood favourites; always a pleasure to return to it.
    TED
    Crude in places but enjoyable. Any film that references Octopussy will be good by my standards :)
    BAIN123 wrote:
    TED
    Crude in places but enjoyable. Any film that references Octopussy will be good by my standards :)

I've developed a natural caution for films like that. After some of those repulsive Sasha Baron Cohen 'films', where for every two jokes that work you get 15 that aren't funny but downright vomit inducing instead, I bring a natural fear to such films. Is Ted in the same category?
    DarthDimi wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    TED

I've developed a natural caution for films like that. After some of those repulsive Sasha Baron Cohen 'films', where for every two jokes that work you get 15 that aren't funny but downright vomit inducing instead, I bring a natural fear to such films. Is Ted in the same category?

Hmm not sure. I enjoyed and found more of it funny than not but some of the jokes were admittingly eye-rolling. Do you like Family Guy? If you do give it a chance, if not best to avoid.

Not a classic by any means though.
    THanks, @BAIN123. I can appreciate FG so maybe I should give Ted a try. Is Marky Mark any good in it?
    Yeah Mark's good.

I think these clips will give you an idea of what to expect.

Just re-watched Alien and I have to say it puts to rest my debate over what I think is the best film ever made and is definitely my favourite film ever. The score is brilliant, the acting is superb, the special effects are the best ever (for their time and considering they weren't done by computer). It is the most tense movie I've ever watched. I don't think I have ever seen a film where the cast gel as well as this, HR Giger designed the most iconic monster in movie history and Ridley Scott should have at least been nominated for Best Director. The film should have won so many more Oscars and the script is just amazing. I don't think I can add too much more without spoiling the story for those of you who haven't seen. So if you haven't seen it, just watch it.
    @Sammm04, while 'The Thing' takes the prize for my favorite horror film, 'Alien' is right up there with it in a Top 3 or Top 5. It's so brilliant and has that same, creepy atmosphere that we see in 'The Thing': something's happening and you have nowhere to run. I love the film. What are your thoughts on 'Aliens'?
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Sammm04, while 'The Thing' takes the prize for my favorite horror film, 'Alien' is right up there with it in a Top 3 or Top 5. It's so brilliant and has that same, creepy atmosphere that we see in 'The Thing': something's happening and you have nowhere to run. I love the film. What are your thoughts on 'Aliens'?

I used to view Alien and Aliens as equals kind of, but I think I preferred Alien. Now though, after watching Alien again it is head and shoulders above, but Aliens is still one of my favourite films.

@Sammm04, they're both fantastic, but I think what I enjoy more about 'Alien' is the creepy atmosphere and scares, as opposed to the balls-out action that 'Aliens' delivers. Though, I will say, seeing Ripley
    tear into the Queen and the nests at the end of 'Aliens'
    is beyond awesome.
    watched Lovely,Still yesterday . It is a very good indy movie with Martin Landau.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Sammm04, they're both fantastic, but I think what I enjoy more about 'Alien' is the creepy atmosphere and scares, as opposed to the balls-out action that 'Aliens' delivers. Though, I will say, seeing Ripley
    tear into the Queen and the nests at the end of 'Aliens'
    is beyond awesome.

Agreed, I think however there is better acting in Alien, it may not have been an ensemble of stars, but I really think it was the best cast ever put together, the chemistry they had was just amazing, and they're so likable you feel sad when one of them dies. Personally my favourite performance was Harry Dean Stanton's ("Right"), they all really die within about half an hour of each other, which keeps you on the edge of your seat. Truly a masterpiece of cinema. Ahhhhh, they don't make 'em like that anymore.