Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

@Creasy, I'm a bit like that with films, too - it's just worse with books, since each one takes longer than a couple of hours to get through... ;)

Anyway, the last couple of days (I'm having a busy week film-wise):
    Notorious (Hitchcock movie with Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman)
    Carne Trémula (Almodóvar movie with Javier Bardem)
    Collateral
    The Untouchables

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited April 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Tuulia wrote:
    @Creasy, I'm a bit like that with films, too - it's just worse with books, since each one takes longer than a couple of hours to get through... ;)

Anyway, the last couple of days (I'm having a busy week film-wise):
    Notorious (Hitchcock movie with Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman)
    Carne Trémula (Almodóvar movie with Javier Bardem)
    Collateral
    The Untouchables

That's how I am with film too, and I have to be in the right mood for each film before I watch it. Darn myself, I say.

Anyway, Collateral and The Untouchables are just fantastic, and Notorious is definitely on that list I refer to.

One of my favorite film lines by our dear Sean:

"You wanna get Capone? Here's how you get him. He pulls a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue! That's the Chicago way, and that's how you get Capone!" B-)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Best way to kick off the day:

TIMECOP

220px-Timecopposter.jpg

Remember the 90s? I do. :D One of my childhood favourites; always a pleasure to return to it.
    Darth, ever see Timecop 2 with Jason Scott Lee? It's just as good IMO!
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 2,081
    The rest of this week:
    Foreign Correspondent (Hitchcock)
    Saboteur (Hitchcock)
    Pirates of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides - take elements that once worked, add plenty more action, lose charm... *sigh*

Jamón Jamón (a Bigas Luna film, with Javier Bardem and Penélope Cruz...his third film and first major role, her first film) - if you didn't know what the film was, had just walked into the room when the opening credits were ending and the movie was beginning, before anyone said a word - in fact before you even saw any people - it probably would have been clear this was not an American film (if you realised what it was you had in the opening picture)... and as soon as you as you see people it's more of the same, sort of (this time you can't be mistaken... and in fact, only at that point I realised what the opening view had been), and it becomes obvious this isn't an American film. :P Anyway, I'm a bit confused about this film being called a comedy. Anyone out there who has seen it and can explain that to me, please do. :) I definitely liked it, though.

Boca A Boca - now that was a comedy. :)) Subtitles would have been helpful, but hey... :D
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    'Any Day Now'

Absolutely stunned that this received no love from the Oscars this year. Contains some of the most phenomenal acting I've ever seen by Alan Cumming (Boris Grishenko from GE) in a marvelous drama about a gay couple in the 70's fighting for custody of a young mentally handicapped child. Sad, touching, yet still a great ride, I highly recommend this.
    The Hobbit - Really did not warrant three films and feels padded out in parts. Overall the cast were good, though Lee and Freeman were a let down.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    chrisisall wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

TIMECOP

220px-Timecopposter.jpg

Remember the 90s? I do. :D One of my childhood favourites; always a pleasure to return to it.

You serious, @chrisisall? For out of some natural distrust for cheap sequels I've been avoiding this like a venereal decease. ;-)
    "42"
    Movies like this is so important and they show a dark time in American history. A country that prided itself on "all men being equal" has some dark moments and if this is not constantly there to remind us, then later generations will claim that it never happened.
    Intergrated sports teams and other parts of society is taken for granted but there was a time when it was not so. The segrated restrooms, public transportation and yes, major league sports.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    You serious, @chrisisall? For out of some natural distrust for cheap sequels I've been avoiding this like a venereal decease. ;-)
    They did more with less. Biggest difference is that Timecop was very lushly photographed, and that takes money. Timecop 2 (a story about a different agent) is definitely worth a look.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    DarthDimi wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

TIMECOP

220px-Timecopposter.jpg

Research shows that venereal deceases can be pretty darn bad, I'll give you that, but venereal diseases are statistically much worse. ;)
    My Wife & I are having a week off where our Son is staying with his older brother, so we can watch any movies we want, so we just saw "Bartleby" starring Crispin Glover. Please see this. It is, in my humble estimation, one of the better films of the 21st Century. Thought provoking as hell, yet entertaining to the end. Made on a shoestring budget, but it's the writing & direction that sparkle. To even say what it's about would be spoilery.
    Like Indy said, trust me.
    @chrisisall, I'll take your word for it and check it out when I get the chance. Glover is one of the most underrated actors I've ever watched, and it's a shame he isn't in so much more.
    edited April 2013 Posts: 23,544
    OBLIVION

1169512_Oblivion.jpg

End-of-the-world science fiction can either be really exciting and powerful, or downright disastrous. Oblivion, for me, falls into the first category. While its script may not be entirely original or unpredictable, Oblivion draws its strength from everything else: beautiful images, great performances and very good music. The pacing of the film is such that it almost always allows us to absorb the scene, to get into the moment, to be sucked into the film. So even if the trained sci-fi fan will not have too great a difficulty figuring out where the story goes next, he might recognise the skill that went into the photography, production design and editing of Oblivion.
    Tom Cruise is Tom Cruise; you know what you bargain for when you cast him as your lead. I can very much appreciate Cruise in mostly everything he does so he's far more than passable in my book, he's very enjoyable in fact. Olga, whom I'm not such a big fan of in QOS, delivers a surprisingly decent performance. And saying that Morgan Freeman is in there too automatically boosts up the film's quality.
    Oblivion isn't a perfect film - few films are - but I consider it one of the stronger entries in its genre and a feast to the eye. Recommend!
    @DarthDimi, very jealous that you saw 'Oblivion,' and surprisingly, I've only heard great things of it thus far. Personally, I've anticipated it for a long time, and will hopefully catch it early next week.
    I'm there, thanks Darth!
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @DarthDimi, very jealous that you saw 'Oblivion,' and surprisingly, I've only heard great things of it thus far. Personally, I've anticipated it for a long time, and will hopefully catch it early next week.

I wish you a happy viewing, @Creasy47! :-) Please let me know what you thought of it.

I'm a Sci-Fi enthusiast, meaning it's hard - very hard - to upset me with a serious Sci-Fi film. But there's a small group of Sci-Fi films that I worship with almost religious intensity, namely 2001: A Space Odyssey, Blade Runner, Alien, The Planet Of The Apes and Sunshine. Oblivion isn't quite there, but it's close - very close. ;-)
    @DarthDimi, will do! I love sci-fi films, but I'm really ashamed to say that I haven't seen most of the greats: I've only watched 'Alien' and 'The Planet Of The Apes' before. I started 'Blade Runner' once, but Netflix Instant conked out and I couldn't watch it. 'Sunshine' has always been an interest of mine, and '2001: A Space Odyssey' is just something every sci-fi fan should watch, I feel, and I'm not on that viewing list, sadly. I'll get to it some day. It's your favorite film, is it not?
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @DarthDimi, will do! I love sci-fi films, but I'm really ashamed to say that I haven't seen most of the greats: I've only watched 'Alien' and 'The Planet Of The Apes' before. I started 'Blade Runner' once, but Netflix Instant conked out and I couldn't watch it. 'Sunshine' has always been an interest of mine, and '2001: A Space Odyssey' is just something every sci-fi fan should watch, I feel, and I'm not on that viewing list, sadly. I'll get to it some day. It's your favorite film, is it not?

I am with you there, @Creasy47. Westerns and Sci-Fi are two genres I am ashamed to say I've neglected.
    Creasy47 wrote:

It is, absolutely. But it's difficult to recommend the film to people because you either love it or you don't. It's not an ordinary film so it's hard to predict whether someone might enjoy it or not. I could suggest people read the Clarke novel first but the same problem exists there. The storytelling simply is too unconventional, both in the book and the film - they were created simultaneously, mind - to allow for safe predictions. I guess one has the best chance of loving 2001 when one

A) is in his or her adult years, 20 or older
    B) enjoys older movies (i.e. not CGI driven movies)
    C) doesn't mind a philosophical journey that provides only the questions, never the answers
    D) can appreciate slow pacing combined with sometimes almost unmoving images of some of the most breathtakingly beautiful things ever conceived on celluloid
    E) doesn't mind the fact that human beings aren't the central focus of the film and thus are not to be treated as we normally do in stories
    F) is an experienced fan of cerebral science fiction (often referred to as 'hard' science fiction).

2001: A Space Odyssey is like the Mount Everest for sci-fi fans: only the most enthusiastic and perhaps even the most industrious and persistent ones reach the top. But once you've reached the top, you find yourself in heaven, addicted for the rest of your life to the breathtaking scenery that you eyes can linger on.

DarthDimi wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

It is, absolutely. But it's difficult to recommend the film to people because you either love it or you don't. It's not an ordinary film so it's hard to predict whether someone might enjoy it or not. I could suggest people read the Clarke novel first but the same problem exists there. The storytelling simply is too unconventional, both in the book and the film - they were created simultaneously, mind - to allow for safe predictions. I guess one has the best chance of loving 2001 when one

A) is in his or her adult years, 20 or older
    B) enjoys older movies (i.e. not CGI driven movies)
    C) doesn't mind a philosophical journey that provides only the questions, never the answers
    D) can appreciate slow pacing combined with sometimes almost unmoving images of some of the most breathtakingly beautiful things ever conceived on celluloid
    E) doesn't mind the fact that human beings aren't the central focus of the film and thus are not to be treated as we normally do in stories
    F) is an experienced fan of cerebral science fiction (often referred to as 'hard' science fiction).

2001: A Space Odyssey is like the Mount Everest for sci-fi fans: only the most enthusiastic and perhaps even the most industrious and persistent ones reach the top. But once you've reached the top, you find yourself in heaven, addicted for the rest of your life to the breathtaking scenery that you eyes can linger on.

I basically have all or near all the boxes ticked! Heck, I would watch it just for Kubrick's camerawork.
    I'm 22 and I most certainly fit in all of those categories. I look forward to giving it a shot.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    But there's a small group of Sci-Fi films that I worship with almost religious intensity, namely 2001: A Space Odyssey, Blade Runner, Alien, The Planet Of The Apes and Sunshine.

Sunshine? Really? As good as it was, I lumped it in with the likes of Minority Report. Cool, but not worth owning. Should I reconsider that?
    chrisisall wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    But there's a small group of Sci-Fi films that I worship with almost religious intensity, namely 2001: A Space Odyssey, Blade Runner, Alien, The Planet Of The Apes and Sunshine.

Sunshine? Really? As good as it was, I lumped it in with the likes of Minority Report. Cool, but not worth owning. Should I reconsider that?

I love those guns in Minority Report that almost seem to send off a shockwave that knocks you back if you are caught up in its range. The chase where Tom faces off with Colin Farrell and his men where they use those things is amazingly shot and choreographed!
    Yeah, the action was amazing.
    edited April 2013 Posts: 23,544
    chrisisall wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

I like both films but they are essentially different. Minority Report is a tale of paranoia (based on a Philip K. Dick novel), dealing with social sterility in the near future and directed by Steven Spielberg on a big budget. Sunshine, by contrast, is a tale of science and existentialism, dealing with how to keep your mind cool and sober as you problem-solve yourself through a difficult and sabotaged mission and directed by Danny Boyle on a fairly small budget. What MR offers in action, Sunshine offers in horror. Also, MP intellectualises the fiction, Sunshine intellectualises the science. Lastly, MP keeps its pace up to ensure maximum 'mainstream' tension and excitement. Sunshine, by contrast, allows itself to breathe through well-chosen pauses, earning those little moments (like when the crew simply watches Mercury passing in front of the Sun) when the story is temporarily put in the deep freezer and we simply marvel at the solar spectacle in front of us.

Thus, while both films entertain me for sure, MR and Sunshine are two completely different films in my book and, given my personal interests, I gravitate more towards Sunshine. ;-) But hey, I'm just another film viewer like the rest of you. We each have our tastes, no? ;-)

'Django Unchained'
    10/10

This film really gave SF a run for its money last year, and it's still hard for me to pick which film of the two was my favorite for 2012. Tarantino is in top form here, and not once do I feel that the film drags in any way. Splendid acting all throughout, and the climax just builds and builds all the way through, leaving me anticipating those final moments as soon as the film starts. The dialogue is rich and hilarious, but what would you expect from Quentin? The man is a master of his craft when it comes to his scripts and directing. Very entertaining, and worth every penny spent on the blu-ray steelbook. If you haven't seen this, give it a watch.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 3,236
    '42'
    7/10

Not a bad movie by any stretch of the imagination, this one about Jackie Robinson's breaking the color barrier in baseball, and Branch Rickey's signing him and helping him persevere. There was nothing wrong the movie; it was decently written, well-acted, comedic and dramatic, and of course had a good message (racism is bad). On the other hand, some scenes were left hanging and seemed to be there for no reason, and a few salient details like Larry Doby's following Jackie Robinson and breaking the color barrier in the American League, are left out for seemingly no reason. But that's all that can be said. A decent movie about a great story, with little to criticize, but little that will stay with the viewer long after he leaves the theater. As a baseball fan, and baseball history buff, it had a special appeal to me.

I did quite like the previews, though. One for the Will Smith-Jaden Smith movie "After Earth" (in which they both have British accents for some reason). One for "The Hangover III" which actually looks pretty good. One for "The Great Gatsby" which was a little overblown but looks amazing. One for "Rush" about the James Hunt-Niki Lauda racing rivalry that looks pretty good. One for "Iron Man 3" which looks better than "Iron Man 3". One for "The Internship" about old guys that apply for an internship with Google that looks bad. One for "The Kings of Summer" about teenagers who run away and try to live on their own in the woods, which looks pretentious and mildly amusing. And last and certainly least was "The Big Wedding" about a divorced couple that has to pretend to be married for their son's Catholic mother-in-law to-be, which looked both offensive and offensively bad (and in both cases, the offense-o-meter is set pretty high).
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Silent House (2011)
    528d84b1b812278f17a801f52d9a9bbb.jpg

Having been impressed by Elizabeth Olsen in Martha Marcy May Marlene, I wanted to see what else she has done and this film was up next. Though Olsen puts in another solid performance, this time the film around her is pretty unremarkable. Also, I guessed the big reveal about 10 minutes in. If the writer wanted it to make it a shocking moment, then they shouldn't have signposted it so clearly with a certain exchange of dialogue near the beginning.
    Gremlins 4.5/6

"do not feed after midnite and don't expose to light !"

Elvis anyone lol ?
    @MajorDSmythe, that's what got me about the film, as well: you want a good ending and an even better reveal, fine. But, don't make it shockingly obvious in the opening moments.